Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Interview coming up...some hints please?
Mr Chappers at 12:21PM, July 4, 2007
(online)
Firstly, not sure if this is the right place to post, sorry if it is. I just need some help.

I got a job interview coming up for a chefs job at a five star hotel that is about to open here in Luton. Now the practical side of the interview i can take, thats what i do for a living. The part i can't do to well in is, the…Sit down and talk, answer questions and ask questions part.
What i was wondering if any of you more experienced people on the duck could offer me some hints?
I've never been good with interview techniques.

Thank you

Mr Chappers

Read the Author, its good i promise.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
SteveMyers22 at 12:33PM, July 4, 2007
(offline)
Be yourself. Be positive. That's the best advice I can give. I have an interview tomorrow and am stressing it as well.
– Steve Myers, Creator of The Adventures of Superchum on Drunk Duck, and at Superchum.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:58PM
Cthulhu at 12:47PM, July 4, 2007
(online)
At the end of a job interview, the head of human resources asks the young engineer fresh out of MIT, “What starting salary were you looking for?”

The engineer decides to shoot for the moon. “I'm thinking in the range of $125,000 a year or so, depending on the benefits package.”

“Hmm,” says the interviewer. “Well, what would you say to five weeks vacation, 14 paid holidays, full medical and dental, a retirement fund with company matching to 50 percent of salary, and a company car leased every two years say, a Porsche?”

The engineer gapes and says, “Wow! Are you kidding?”

“Yeah,” replies the interviewer, “but you started it.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:56AM
Red Slayer at 12:54PM, July 4, 2007
(online)
get someone else to cook for you and hope no one notices.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
AQua_ng at 12:55PM, July 4, 2007
(offline)
If they ask you your weak points, don't say something blunt like ‘I’m the worst at cooking,' but rather ‘I’ve been trying to improve my cooking skills lately.' You have to play the spin doctor.

In addition, don't forget about your body language, it can give away a lot of hints to the interviewers.

Oddly enough, I think I've got a book about doing well at interviews. I'm only fifteen.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:56AM
fern at 1:35PM, July 4, 2007
(online)
Remember to shave and don't wear Duffs to the interview.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:27PM
blntmaker at 1:40PM, July 4, 2007
(offline)
SteveMyers22
Be yourself. Be positive. That's the best advice I can give. I have an interview tomorrow and am stressing it as well.

Great advice. Nothing more genuine than being yourself. Eye contact and crisp response are good too. Also, when they say…“Do you have any questions for US” - Take some time before you go into your interview and think up some…be interested in what they do at the hotel - heck, ask them why THEY enjoy working there…

Funny, I had friends that lived in Luton - That's in the UK, yes?

I'll keep a good thought for you! Best wishes on your success!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:26AM
blntmaker at 1:42PM, July 4, 2007
(offline)
…And oh yes…

If you meet Gordon Ramsey - tell him I love his show here in America! That guy rocks!
blntmaker at 1:43PM, July 4, 2007
(offline)
Cthulhu
At the end of a job interview, the head of human resources asks the young engineer fresh out of MIT, “What starting salary were you looking for?”

The engineer decides to shoot for the moon. “I'm thinking in the range of $125,000 a year or so, depending on the benefits package.”

“Hmm,” says the interviewer. “Well, what would you say to five weeks vacation, 14 paid holidays, full medical and dental, a retirement fund with company matching to 50 percent of salary, and a company car leased every two years say, a Porsche?”

The engineer gapes and says, “Wow! Are you kidding?”

“Yeah,” replies the interviewer, “but you started it.”

THAT'S FUNNY! I'm sharing that one with friends!
fern at 1:58PM, July 4, 2007
(online)
blntmaker, you shouldn't triple-post, Termy the mod' is a bitch when it comes to these sorts of things…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:27PM
Mr Chappers at 2:04PM, July 4, 2007
(online)
The plan is definitely to meet/work for Gordon Ramsey one day. He is my HERO. I watch all his shows own a fair few of his books.
I'm saving up to take the train to London where i can eat at one of his restaurants.
He is one of the few i would love to meet.

Thank you to Everyone who posted some help(…and to those who posted jokes).
If you have any more tips please post them, i really could do with this job.

marine at 2:08PM, July 4, 2007
(offline)
When I was a telecomunicator (not a telemarketer, thats a dirty word) I worked my way up the IRL drama food chain that was the corporate ladder, and actually did some interviews and training classes.

Basicly, the biggest thing you can do for yourself is spin. Take anything negative, spin it into a positive. You want to give off that you're perfect for the job, without being too cocky.

You're also going to want to highlight your best qaulities. Now a five-star hotel sounds proffesional, so when you go in, you'll want to sit up straight, only sit down if they say “take a seat”, and you'll also want to speak up. Don't be shy or afraid to say something, go in with a positive attitude and you should get it. Where its a new place, new places (at least around these parts) tend to hire near everyone that applies. So you've really nothing to worry about at all. Be sure and get a good nights sleep before the big interview.

The biggest advice I can give, don't be nervous. I know thats a tough thing to do, but you've got to bite the bullet, relax, take a deep breath before you go in, and wing the best damn interview possible. I think the only time I ever turned someone down was when they showed up on drugs and I think there was another guy that was drunk, but other than that, I never really liked turning people down. Now I got to put in my two cents on someone climbing up the ladder to the same level I was on, and I'd always vote against anyone just out of fear for my job, which turned out didn't matter anyway. I ended up quitting for those of you that ain't read me say it before.

As far as questions go, answer honestly. If you think you're a good enoughbullshiter, you better be as good as me, otherwise they'll pick up the slightest hint of a con. Don't lie about past experiences or education, thats a big no no. If you're wanting to hold down the job for any decent amount of time.

tl;dr - Be positive, build yourself up but don't lie, and be as polite and proper as possible. Also only kiss enough ass to get the job, no one likes a suck up.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
SteveMyers22 at 2:35PM, July 4, 2007
(offline)
blntmaker
Also, when they say…“Do you have any questions for US” - Take some time before you go into your interview and think up some…be interested in what they do at the hotel - heck, ask them why THEY enjoy working there…

Oooooh. Now that's some really good advice. I always get caught flat-footed on that part of the interview myself. Even when I think of questions, nerves usually get the best of me.

I'm going to try that one though. That's a really good question to ask.
– Steve Myers, Creator of The Adventures of Superchum on Drunk Duck, and at Superchum.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:58PM
Vindibudd at 2:49PM, July 4, 2007
(online)
Mr Chappers
I got a job interview coming up for a chefs job at a five star hotel

Tell them you think monkey turds spices up any dish.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:42PM
blntmaker at 6:39PM, July 4, 2007
(offline)
fern
blntmaker, you shouldn't triple-post, Termy the mod' is a bitch when it comes to these sorts of things…

Thanks FERN!
LIZARD_B1TE at 7:38PM, July 4, 2007
(online)
DON'T:

Challenge the Interviewer to an Arm Wrestle
Eat lunch in the interviewers office
Listen to music during the interview
Die during the interview
Phone someone for advice in answering a question

By the way, all of those have actually happened.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:37PM
arteestx at 8:22PM, July 4, 2007
(offline)
It's hard to not be nervous, so don't think of it as THEM interviewing YOU. Think of it as a conversation, give and take, and that YOU are also interviewing THEM. As others have said, be yourself and don't lie. Everyone knows that interviewees are spinning and stretching, that's understood, but don't say something that's untrue because it WILL come out.

When I interview folks, I might ask some questions based on any holes I might see in the resume, but that's not too often. I try to get them to talk about themselves and their work, to get a sense of who the person is (as much as you can in such an artificial setting), where they're coming from philosophically, their demeanor (and would this person fit into the company culture). And the thing that always impresses me most is what questions they have for me. What questions someone has is always quite revealing to me about who they are, what they're interested in, and if they actually know what they're doing. Are they boring questions, or are they interesting questions? Does it give a sense that they understand how to do the work properly and what can go wrong? Every interviewer is different, so I'm not claiming that what impresses me impresses everyone. But that's something I always look for when I interview folks.

And lastly, don't think of this as you being “good enough” for the job if you get it, or “not good enough” if you don't. For me, interviewing is about seeing if someone is a fit. It's not about they're a good person, a good worker, worthy or not, or anything like that. It's about getting a sense if the person is competent enough and a good fit for the position. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't mean anything about you being judged as unworthy; it may simply not be a good fit. If it works out, congratulations. Good luck!!

Xolta is not intended for anyone under 18 years old.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
marine at 5:50AM, July 8, 2007
(offline)
Any update on how it went?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
Mr Chappers at 9:03AM, July 8, 2007
(online)
The executive chef has had to put my interview back to this friday, there where some ‘complications’ in the building of the kitchen. So i have to wait a little while.

Mr Chappers at 11:22AM, July 14, 2007
(online)
I had my interview today, and it went really well. Sadly, i wont be in the kitchen because there is no part time places.
So he showed me to the waiting staff, and if/when i get a job there i would be working in the front of house. with some times in the kitchen.
So it seems to be going really well.
Thanks for all the help guys, i used most of the things you said.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon