Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Migranes and headaches.
Coveinant at 4:15PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(online)
OK, I have a frontal lobe migrane so I'm can't think straight (it's getting better). Tell me if you have a migrane or headache that effects you and makes you vulnerable
Enter my contests and be happy about your ideas.

go here, I may have left you something good
CJ
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:46AM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 4:17PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(offline)
…I've never let a headache or migraine make me vulnerable…

I'M PARANOID.

and as Alastor Moody says “CONSTANT VIGILANCE”
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:54PM
Coveinant at 4:28PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(online)
I can't think straight with over three hundred thoughts in a few minutes. also I like to control my emotions and it makes me moody. (I can't handle this stuff)

CJ
Paper_Cut at 5:04PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(offline)
Coveinant
I can't think straight with over three hundred thoughts in a few minutes. also I like to control my emotions and it makes me moody. (I can't handle this stuff)

… So you're that guy POS told me to avoid…
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
usedbooks at 5:12PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(online)
I had a migraine yesterday. There's pain, nausea, tunnel-vision, partial paralysis… but the worst things are that my mind and hands don't seem to connect (stuff I type ends up as gibberish on the screen), and I lose big chunks of my memory – people's names (sometimes my own), random words from my vocabulary like “apple,” “chin,” and often the words “head” and “migraine” – which makes it hard to express what I'm suffering from.

Sometimes my memory doesn't fully recover for a few days. When I was in college, it made several exams extremely difficult.

My moodiness is not connected to migraines, but I get that sometimes too. Usually it makes me cry at everything (joy, sadness, boredom), feel personally responsible for all the bad things in the world, and place bids for random things on Ebay.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
Paper_Cut at 5:20PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(offline)
My migraines are down-right HELL when I'm trying to finish something for work. and they come at probably the most inconvenient of times, too. A week ago I needed a paper in by the next day and I had a migraine. When I woke up I felt like I had a hell of a hangover, and I was late for work. I just couldn't wait for that to end…

and then once I get home, I got another bloody migraine.

and, puff_of_smoke, you've et a migraine get to you, before…

Remember that one time in Hokkaido?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 5:21PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(offline)
Paper_Cut
My migraines are down-right HELL when I'm trying to finish something for work. and they come at probably the most inconvenient of times, too. A week ago I needed a paper in by the next day and I had a migraine. When I woke up I felt like I had a hell of a hangover, and I was late for work. I just couldn't wait for that to end…

and then once I get home, I got another bloody migraine.

and, puff_of_smoke, you've et a migraine get to you, before…

Remember that one time in Hokkaido?

Oh god, don't remind me. I regret even coming with you…
I
Ozoneocean at 5:27PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(online)
I don't know if migraines are too connected directly to emotions… They're mainly just a pain thing- along with other strange vision side effects in “classic” migraine. The only emotional effect I'm aware of that's not related to medication is a reported feeling of irritability after the migraine.

Anything else may be some other psychological issue… May be a way of dealing with the pain and symptoms? I know myself that it drives me crazy… :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:28PM
usedbooks at 5:32PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(online)
Actually, for me, migraines often correlate to mood swings, but neither is the result of the other. Not all migraines have the same triggers, but nearly all of mine are end up following hormonal cycles. (Which means there's one more reason to leave me the hell alone for a few days each month…)
Inkmonkey at 5:44PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(offline)
Y'know, I don't think I've ever had a migraine… I don't really know why. Unless migraines aren't as bad as everyone says they are, and I've assumed to be a normal headache what is actually a migraine…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
usedbooks at 5:52PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(online)
Inkmonkey
Y'know, I don't think I've ever had a migraine… I don't really know why. Unless migraines aren't as bad as everyone says they are, and I've assumed to be a normal headache what is actually a migraine…
It's the other symptoms that make it a migraine. I often have them with no headache at all, just the other stuff. (It's kinda like stroke symptoms.) I've been to the doctor for migraines a few times. They always ask about all the symptoms you experience so they know to treat a migraine rather than a headache.

I also found out that strong OTC painkillers (aspirin, etc.) generally make the migraine pass more quickly but make the symptoms more intense.
Inkmonkey at 5:55PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(offline)
Ah, well, I'm still fairly young (21), so I'm sure I'll get my share once I get into the real world and stop having people take care of me.
usedbooks at 5:59PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(online)
Inkmonkey
Ah, well, I'm still fairly young (21), so I'm sure I'll get my share once I get into the real world and stop having people take care of me.
Maybe not. I got my first one when I was 8. (Which was the picture of a stress-free life.) I thought I was dying because I couldn't feel the left side of my body or stand up straight. My parents took me to the emergency room. I'm 25 now, and they haven't gotten any better or worse.

My dad had bad migraines as a kid (and still gets them now at nearly 60 years old). Once the pressure in his head actually pushed his eye out of socket – which scared his dad, who was a doctor. I think I inherited them.
kitty17 at 5:59PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(offline)
I get frequent migraines…usually at the beginning of the week and then some in between. I get the pains, vision trouble and nausua. Nausua to the point of where I actually got sick into a bag a couple times. Pains usually occur on the left side and progress as a growing pain that spreads throughout the left side of my face. Especially in my eyes and jaw. I don't get moody…but I do get tired quickly usually falling asleep earlier than I usually do.

K.A.L.A.-dan! Moe Maid ;3
Pastel and Kitty :3
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:17PM
Coveinant at 6:02PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(online)
actually in my case it can. just behind the nose (in the frontal lobes) is a series of nerves that control emotion, so a migrane in that area can effect the emotions of the person. Also I got my first one at ten so you will get them in a few year inkmonkey.

CJ
Puff_Of_Smoke at 6:52PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(offline)
Coveinant
actually in my case it can. just behind the nose (in the frontal lobes) is a series of nerves that control emotion, so a migrane in that area can effect the emotions of the person. Also I got my first one at ten so you will get them in a few year inkmonkey.

Just behind the nose, you find your sinuses and part of your esophagus.

There is no part of your brain there. There are nerves but those are just scent receptors.
I
Inkmonkey at 6:57PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(offline)
Well, personally, horrible pain does tend to affect my mood…

So I guess you could say there are nerves that control my emotion on every inch of my body.
Coveinant at 6:58PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(online)
Actually yes, the sinus cavaty reaches just below the brain. Try reading an anatomy book and focus on the head (I actually learned this from a something about the science behind Spiderman, all of which is true because it was on the discovery channel)

CJ
Cthulhu at 7:04PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(online)
Puff_Of_Smoke

There is no part of your brain there. There are nerves but those are just scent receptors.
no actually, in a reserch that was in 1922, scientists found out that the brain is on every part of you head and you're mouth is on you're fore head.

listen to covintent, he knows what hes talking about hes a walking living breething encyclopdia.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:58AM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 7:05PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(offline)
Cthulhu
Puff_Of_Smoke

no actually, in a reserch that was in 1922, scientists found out that the brain is on every part of you head and you're mouth is on you're fore head.

listen to covintent, he knows what hes talking about hes a walking living breething encyclopdia.

Oh…

clearly I am now proven wrong ;_;
I
Rage Nakasa at 7:07PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(offline)
Gahh. I got a small one now… It's just above the Right eye…
I decree Boot to the head to all.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:00PM
Ozoneocean at 7:21PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(online)
Inkmonkey
Oh, you'd know it if you had one ;)

Although, as Usedbooks says, there are other manifestations that don't even have to involve pain at all. Sometimes it will only affect vision for example. But then again, I think it's only 20% of the population that ever get them in the first place, and it's part of an inherited genetic predisposition: so if it's not in your make-up, you never will get one. :)

For me the symptoms manifest as either severe pain and nausea, or just severe pain. The type of pain, at its worst would best be described as the pain level caused by actual sustained and severe physical injury (something like torture especially), but with all that pain only inside your brain where you can't escape from it.
I know of two people who have to have morphine injections to be able to deal with it…

Personally, I think Coveinant is a bit insane… nerves don't control emotion. He says some very mad things
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:28PM
marine at 7:23PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(offline)
I usually have bad sinus headaches. My eyes and area above my nose is like agony.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 7:24PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(offline)
okay…. since we're back on subject…

now for the bad day in hokkaido…

I was having a migraine. obviously. then the building we were staying in was on fire. I had to go out into the daylight. INTO THE BLARING SUNLIGHT. the firetruck's sirens a-goin'.

that was the worse pain I ever felt in my life right next to being shot in the hand.
I
imshard at 7:31PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
Personally, I think Coveinant is a bit insane… nerves don't control emotion. He says some very mad things

While that is technically true, I'm sure you'll agree that pain can cause irritability.
Don't be a stick in the mud traditionalist! Support global warming!

Tech Support: The Comic!! Updates Somedays!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:57PM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 7:33PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(offline)
imshard
ozoneocean

While that is technically true, I'm sure you'll agree that pain can cause irritability.

look at Gregory House. he acts like a bastard all the time because of chronic leg pain.
I
Rage Nakasa at 7:51PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(offline)
… My head hurts more now. Damn I hate getting up as 5 am and then Have a class that starts at 6 to 10 pm… I think that's why I have one…
I decree Boot to the head to all.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:00PM
suzi at 7:55PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(online)
Okay, people. I'm in a neuroscience class and a lot of things you're saying are giving ME a migraine, haha :p

Migraines can be SET OFF by things connected to mood such as hormonal fluctuations (my mom used to get them in time with her menstrual cycle) and stress. The migraine itself doesn't affect your limbic cortex directly (that's where emotions happen, not the frontal lobes. That's where your logic center, and theoretically your consciousness–not emotion) but it DOES affect seratonin distribution throughout your entire brain (which effects activity, motivation, etc), and the swelling/pulsing/pain feeling comes from sporadic nerve activity making its way to the meninges (layers of fleshy stuff between the skull and the brain.) Your brain itself doesn't have pain receptors, that only happens once the meninges (and in some cases the lower brain stem/spinal cord which can lead to face and neck pain).

I've heard people refer to migraines as small seizures because of the random activation of uncontrollable firing, but I can't find anything right now that supports that.

MAH MOMMA TAKES XANAX FER 'EM.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
suzi at 7:56PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(online)
Oh, and of course nerves control emotion – the whole brain is nerves!

But nerves do not equal pain pathways.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
Coveinant at 8:06PM, Nov. 8, 2007
(online)
Ok, have you heard of a progressive migrane? I get those about twice a week. (and if you don't know it's a migrane that starts in one area and travels all over the brain)

CJ

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon