Comic Talk and General Discussion *

My little hike up an active volcano.
skoolmunkee at 9:09AM, April 15, 2010
(offline)
Your volcano had better be done being a pain in the butt in 2 weeks, I have travel plans. >:[ The ash cloud has stopped all UK flights for the next day or more.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
elmatto at 12:25PM, April 15, 2010
(online)
I still have a morbid curiosity when it comes to volcanoes.
And that curiosity mainly deals with what it would look like if someone fell into lava.
Obviously it'd be horrific. But I just wonder if they'd immediately melt or what.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
ImaginaryGirl at 1:06PM, April 15, 2010
(offline)
Wow….just wow. O__O That's pretty damn amazing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:57PM
Product Placement at 4:31PM, April 15, 2010
(online)
skoolmunkee
Your volcano had better be done being a pain in the butt in 2 weeks, I have travel plans. >:[ The ash cloud has stopped all UK flights for the next day or more.
I'm reporting from the volcano with this important news update.

Btw. The little hills in that picture is a freaking mountain range.

elmatto
I still have a morbid curiosity when it comes to volcanoes.
And that curiosity mainly deals with what it would look like if someone fell into lava.
His insides would start to boil so fast that his melting skin would rupture in several places. Death would probably occur when his skull explodes to release the steam inside. About 70% of his body mass would evaporate and the rest would turn into a pile of ash that would mix into the lava. I'd expect it to be the perfect place to dump a body.
ImaginaryGirl
Wow….just wow. O__O That's pretty damn amazing.
Thanks. It was a pretty awesome experience.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:52PM
Lonnehart at 4:38PM, April 15, 2010
(online)
I can still see this as a funny webcomic, but this time it would be about a volcano's thoughts… and many of them would be on ways it could mess with mankind without outright killing it. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
Product Placement at 8:52AM, April 16, 2010
(online)
I'm starting to think that you might be on to something Lonnehart.

The coast guard managed to fly over the new craters and snap a radar picture of it and this is what they saw.

It looks pissed off. :nervous:
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
ImaginaryGirl at 6:35PM, April 16, 2010
(offline)
Okay, who's been reading from the Necronomicon?
Product Placement at 7:14PM, April 16, 2010
(online)
ImaginaryGirl
Okay, who's been reading from the Necronomicon?
Probably this guy.

He's the head priest/shaman (titled “alsherjagothi” ) of the national Asatru Association (the old Nordic/Viking faith) and admitted about a month ago that he put a curse on Britain and Holland as a punishment for being too harsh on Iceland during the whole financial crisis thing. Sure enough, these two countries had their worst winters in a good long while and he popped up to brag about it. That silly man should have read the fine print.

I've been entertaining myself listening to foreign reporters trying to pronounce the name of the volcano. Here's an excellent compilation of some of their attempts.

The ones at 0:17 and 0:30 are my favorites.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
ImaginaryGirl at 9:22PM, April 16, 2010
(offline)
O_O Wow. He looks exactly like a professor I once had.
Ozoneocean at 3:24AM, April 19, 2010
(online)
Product Placement
I've been entertaining myself listening to foreign reporters trying to pronounce the name of the volcano. Here's an excellent compilation of some of their attempts
Sounds like they're trying to be French…

Icelandic is a weird language! I wonder if it has any relationship at all to English- apart from secondary stuff where Viking words found their way directly into English.
-I wonder if it has any old relationship through the Angle and Saxon old Germanic origins of English? But it sounds very, very unlike German though… whereas you can here Germanic type words in Danish, Swedish, and Norwegian.

Seeing as they all shared the same religion in the old days (Scandinavia, Saxon Briton, Iceland, Germanic people in Europe), you'd think they might share more elements of language too?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
Peipei at 5:49AM, April 19, 2010
(offline)
That is awesome! You are very brave :3. Thanks for the pics ^^.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
smkinoshita at 6:47AM, April 19, 2010
(online)
AMAZING pictures! Thanks for risking your neck to share with us! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:49PM
Product Placement at 9:17AM, April 19, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
Germanic languages.
Funny that you should mention this because I actually did study Germanic relations long time ago.

Germanic is derived from indo-european which divided into Germanic, Latin, Slavic, Celtic and many more. Germanic divided into West, East and North Germanic, East becoming English, North Becoming Old Norse (which eventually became Norse, Swedish, Danish, Faroese and Icelandic) and West becoming German (It's far more complicated than that but this is a simplified picture). Well over a millennium ago these three languages were very similar but as time passed, they started to change and/or become influenced by other languages. To put it simply. Celtic, Latin and French influenced English, German made an extreme pronunciation change, German and English influenced Danish and Danish and Finish influenced the other Scandinavian languages.

The Gray Goose Laws(Grágás), which were written in 1117 stated that all of Scandinavia spoke the same language which was Old Norse. During these 900 years that have since passed, the Scandinavian languages have changed to certain degrees while Icelandic has stayed virtually the same, due to its isolation to the rest of the world. Danish has changed the most and is now more similar to German then the other Scandinavian languages (they even count in the same way (one and twenty, two and twenty…)). Out of all the Germanic languages, English and Danish have changed the most and are often referred to as corrupted languages (since they integrated foreign words into their vocabulary). I've looked over Old English text and seen many similarities in to Icelandic. I've also read runestones that have been lying over the countryside in Norway for over thousand years and been able to fully understand its meaning. The natives there can't understand it without needing to learn Old Norse first.

And that's pretty much the history of Germanic languages 101.

*Realizing that I had just derailed my own topic, big time.*

Say! That volcano is bitchin!

smkinoshita & Peipei
Risking your neck / you're brave.
*Embarrassed* Ah shucks. It was nothing. I'm an experienced climber so I was never at risk. Sure, there was a statistical chance that the whole thing would have blown up while I was up there but all the geologists who were studying it at the time had ensured Civil Protection that it was safe to approach. They wouldn't have allowed the public to climb up there without that green light.

The daily show was making fun of the name.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Product Placement at 4:08AM, April 22, 2010
(online)
Found some interesting jokes about the current eruption. Mind you some of those jokes are awfully British (for example some of the jokes are referring to a frozen foods store that happens to be called Iceland)

It’s a bit early for Iceland volcano jokes. We should wait awhile for the dust to settle.

I see that America has declared war on Iceland. Apparently they are accusing them of harbouring a “weapon of ash eruption”.

It was the last wish of the Icelandic economy that its ashes be spread over Europe.

Iceland goes bankrupt, then it manages to set itself on fire. This has insurance scam written all over it.

Iceland, we wanted your cash, not your ash.

Waiter, there's volcanic ash in my soup. I know, it's a no-fly zone.

Richard Curtis is working on a new rom-com about people stuck in an airport who fall in love. The working title is “Lava Actually”.

I came out my house yesterday and was hit on the head by a bag of frozen sausages, a chocolate gateau and some fish fingers. I realised it must be the fallout from Iceland.

Volcano in Iceland. What next Earthquake in Asda?

Woke this morning to find every surface in the house covered in a layer of dust and a foul stench of sulphur in the air. No change, I've been married to that bone-idle slob for 20 years.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Product Placement at 12:05PM, April 28, 2010
(online)
Oh, what the hell is this?

Can you freaking believe that a British record company contacted her and offered her a contract?

All right, unless something big happens, I'm probably gonna stop posting in this thread now.

Mother off… Look at this thing!

You can see the sonic waves coming from the explosions!
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon