Networking & Community Projects*

need somone to prettyfy my comics
Shintouku at 11:21AM, Oct. 18, 2006
(offline)
Looking for someone fix up my drawings. You know, i send u the images, you smooth lines, color, and add special effects. When I say color, I don't mean MS. paint. Im talking photo shop or flash even gimp if your good at it. im the sketch guy ur the color guy/gal.
aw dag i messed it up

PorQ me
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:34PM
Generic Human at 5:11PM, Oct. 18, 2006
(online)
Shintouku
Looking for someone fix up my drawings. You know, i send u the images, you smooth lines, color, and add special effects. When I say color, I don't mean MS. paint. Im talking photo shop or flash even gimp if your good at it. im the sketch guy ur the color guy/gal.

Could we see some examples of your work?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
Shintouku at 7:44PM, Oct. 18, 2006
(offline)
but of cource.

these were scanned into ms paint first.
aw dag i messed it up

PorQ me
Rich at 8:23PM, Oct. 18, 2006
(online)
OH SNAP! Even though I have ZERO intention of helping you, I colored the one picture anyways!

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM
Shintouku at 8:36PM, Oct. 18, 2006
(offline)
well thanks….i think. U made him look nice. is there anyone with more than ZERO intention of helping me color my comics?
aw dag i messed it up

PorQ me
AdHocFerox at 11:57PM, Oct. 18, 2006
(offline)
To be honest, this intrigues the heck out of me :)

here's what I can do with the sample pic (keep in mind I usually work in black and white so this is all new to me)

If you're interested… I've got some questions, but I'm totally up for it
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:46AM
VegaX at 1:08AM, Oct. 19, 2006
(offline)
I feel the main problem is how you scan your art.
Why are you scanning them in pure black and white? It makes the lineart look like you made it in paint.

scan them in grayscale and add some brightness and contrast and you will get smooth lines instead of the sharp pixelated mess you got now.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:39PM
Shintouku at 6:21AM, Oct. 19, 2006
(offline)
AdHocFerox
To be honest, this intrigues the heck out of me :)

here's what I can do with the sample pic (keep in mind I usually work in black and white so this is all new to me)

If you're interested… I've got some questions, but I'm totally up for it

well then lets get this on a private quack IM so we can work this out. You say your new to this? Well so am I. newbie + newbie = ownage in my book.
aw dag i messed it up

PorQ me
Inkmonkey at 10:43PM, Oct. 22, 2006
(offline)
VegaX
Why are you scanning them in pure black and white? It makes the lineart look like you made it in paint.

scan them in grayscale and add some brightness and contrast and you will get smooth lines instead of the sharp pixelated mess you got now.

Well, that's true if you're showing it the same size as you scan it (scan at 72 dpi, post at 72 dpi), but most comic artists do scan linework in black and white with the pixelly edges, just when it gets shrunk down from 300 dpi it looks smoothe. Pick up the DC guide to coloring comics (or at least look at it in the store); the linework is one of the first things they mention in the digital coloring section.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
VegaX at 12:43PM, Oct. 23, 2006
(offline)
Inkmonkey
but most comic artists do scan linework in black and white with the pixelly edges, just when it gets shrunk down from 300 dpi it looks smoothe.
Those people are fools! FOOLS!! :P

Nah, im sure there are plenty of ways to get good lookin' lineart. People just need to experiment a little more with the scanner settings and use a image editing program to get things to look better.

Knuckles at 7:53AM, Oct. 24, 2006
(offline)
VegaX

Yeah, but then you get the paper and scanner dust showing up if you do that. :P If you try to erase the dust, then you will come out with white spots all over the paper because the background isn't pure white.

Myth Xaran (manga) - http://www.drunkduck.com/Myth_Xaran
Exodus Studios (Games & More) - http://www.exodus-studio.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
VegaX at 11:40AM, Oct. 24, 2006
(offline)
Knuckles
Yeah, but then you get the paper and scanner dust showing up if you do that. :P If you try to erase the dust, then you will come out with white spots all over the paper because the background isn't pure white.

Hmmm… This is how i scan all my artwork, and ive honestly never had that problem really.

I guess it all depend on what scanner one have or if you got a good image editing program.

Knuckles at 6:43PM, Oct. 24, 2006
(offline)
VegaX
Hmmm… This is how i scan all my artwork, and ive honestly never had that problem really.

I guess it all depend on what scanner one have or if you got a good image editing program.

Greyscale does just that. it captures everything in the grey color scale. It may include the tinyest bits of paper and scanner dust and treat it as a greyish tone. Whereas pure Black & White will generally ignore the smaller particles, and you get less specks to worry about which is what Shintouku's original images look like. These are easier to erase, and since the background is already pure white, you won't see the eraser when you erase the black specks.

Myth Xaran (manga) - http://www.drunkduck.com/Myth_Xaran
Exodus Studios (Games & More) - http://www.exodus-studio.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
Generic Human at 4:16AM, Oct. 25, 2006
(online)
Knuckles
VegaX

Greyscale does just that. it captures everything in the grey color scale. It may include the tinyest bits of paper and scanner dust and treat it as a greyish tone. Whereas pure Black & White will generally ignore the smaller particles, and you get less specks to worry about which is what Shintouku's original images look like. These are easier to erase, and since the background is already pure white, you won't see the eraser when you erase the black specks.

I've always scanned in colour, then used levels. It works for me. There are different ways to get great results, it really depends on how you're going to use your original image (for instance, I have my backgrounds drawn out, but not inked, so I colour them, then use levels to get rid of the pencil lines) and how you want the final result to look. In all honesty, once you size down for your comic, it wont really matter because all the pixalation caused by scanning in B&W or the little dots you sometimes get from eraser marks by scanning in greyscale or colour virtually disappear. Virtually
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon