Meet, Greet, Show and Sell*

New to hosting, but not new to comics - DOUK
DOUK at 8:44AM, Dec. 12, 2008
(online)
Hello community!

DOUK here, just saying hi. Because I think this is the place to go? Yeah I hope so. This website looks like a good place to start widening my audience outside my circle of friends, but I have a few questions first. Please don't throw the book at me because I haven't read *all* the rules, but I know enough to not plug my comic into this message.

So, without further ado, let me – oh wait! I just want to say that I hope things go my way here, I'm not trying to get really big, but just knowing that I can produce some quality stuff is enough to keep me sleeping at night. And during class. Thanks guys.

SOOOO, my questions relate to the general style in which this website works.

Are comics with a storyline generally favored over no-plot ones? I won't tell what I do in my comics but I'll just tell you that there is no plot. My aim is to be funny.

Again, are original characters favored over parody-ing big names? Like if someone makes a comic about The Dark Knight, as opposed to some guy they made up watching the movie.

How is popularity or general liking rated, and any tips on how I can ‘advertise’ without the ‘ad’? I haven't got much practice on showing my comic to the world so any help would be great.

Where can I get my comic critiqued? I'm not looking for how the plot goes, because my comics are a gag-a-day. So a rating of how funny would be nice. I would also like a place where I can get an honest opinion about my art.

Where's the washroom? I haven't seen one here all day.

Thanks for answering if you did, I hope you've got an idea of what sense of humor I have based on this post. I will be adding comics once I get the gist of what this site offers.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:13PM
Aghammer at 8:59AM, Dec. 12, 2008
(offline)
Hey,

Welcome to the duck. For the first couple of your questions, there are audiences here for all types of comics including parody, etc. There are numerous gag- a day comics that are excellent and very popular (one of my favorites is Red Point http://www.drunkduck.com/Red_Point/index.php).

Comics are rated on a 1-5 by individuals as they read each page but there are also several critique forums…. go look through the forums and you'll see. For advertising… there is a “look what I did” forum where you can hawk your comic.

Anyway, it's a good place to host your comic and there a lot of good people willing to help, etc. I looked around for awhile and have been very happy with the duck.

Also, we have the mighty Amanda, a ghost, and a guy named Mushroom… how cool is that??

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:47AM
amanda at 9:38AM, Dec. 12, 2008
(online)
Welcome to the fun, DOUK! The cool thing about this community - there are so many different people with different tastes out there - there really isn't one style of comic that people will gravitate towards. Make a comic YOU enjoy making, and you will undoubtedly find wonderful people who enjoy your comic as well.

Also, the washroom was blown up in a freak accident. I swear it had nothing to do with my baking.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:51AM
Aghammer at 9:58AM, Dec. 12, 2008
(offline)
Feel free to use Scarf's dressing room as a bathroom.. he doesn't mind.

Speaking of wonderful people… hello Amanda :D
CharleyHorse at 10:09AM, Dec. 12, 2008
(offline)
Hey DOUK and welcome. It's my sense that gag-a-day strips rise in the ranking system very fast compared to continuing storyline strips or comics. Of course the catch is that they have to be funny and you have to keep meeting your announced posting rate. Ouch! On the other hand, I solved that issue by not announcing how frequently I intend to post my strips. Heh, heh.

I also think that parody gag strips do very well on the DD because, hey, everybody likes mocking Darth Vader or tugging on Superman's cape! One way to advertise sans money is simply to post regularly in these forums while maintaining a good attitude. You can also list yourself free of charge with some of the cartooning rating services. I can't recall their names at the moment. The tips and tricks forum, I believe, has a sticky on how to improve one's hit rate.

Best of good fortune to you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
Dark Clown at 10:17AM, Dec. 12, 2008
(online)
Welcome, Would You Like A Cold Hot Cola?

This Fluid feels like Pain, This stoic mood is all in vain.
I reach into the dark, I tear this other me apart.
How many years ago, How many deaths I can't let go.
My Flesh Is Temporary, My God Extraordinary.
You… can''t… Kill… My… MIND!!!!!

The War Will continue, Just on a different battle field
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:06PM
DOUK at 4:49PM, Dec. 12, 2008
(online)
I'll hit you up on that offer Dark Clown, lukewarm ice cold beverages are my favorite!

Thanks for the warm welcomes guys! Except you DOUK, you could do a lot better. Shame on you.
amanda at 6:25PM, Dec. 12, 2008
(online)
DOUK
Except you DOUK, you could do a lot better. Shame on you.
Yeah… listen. We've been meaning to have a chat with you about that.
^.^
Mushroomcomix at 6:32PM, Dec. 12, 2008
(online)
DOUK! My first advice to you is to put that cola down and walk away, you will thank me when you meet Ironscarfs Ghost!!! Just don't drink it!!!

This is a great place with a lot of different people who like different comics…a number of my favorites are gag-a-day strips…like Agh said check out Red Point and I would also recommend The Real Macabre those are my two favorite gag a days in my opinion. http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Real_Macabre/

I also like quite a few parody comics as well, and I know lots of other people do too. check out this one which has an awesome fan base! http://www.drunkduck.com/Nintendo_Super_Squad/

I use Myspace to advertise as well as a few kinkod copies with the website on it placed around at my school or handed out to friends who passes them to their friends who passes them to their friends and so on… I believe ranking is rated on page views and not the number ratings that are given to your pages…

There is also a review forum where you can get your work reviewed.

Washroom?! We had one?! Damn I wish I would have known that before…
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
Ironscarfs Ghost at 7:40PM, Dec. 12, 2008
(offline)
Hello Douk: throw the book at you? Books are not for throwing, especially if you haven't finished reading them. They should be bound in leather and placed on appropriate shelving, bookended by bronze statuettes which depict classical scenes or art deco themes.

A quiz? Good show!:

Are comics with a storyline generally favored over no-plot ones?
No preference, but both are favoured over non-Christmas avatar supporting ones.

Again, are original characters favored over parody-ing big names?
Yes, unless you have a natural talent for parody or are referring to the characters featured in your Christmas avatar.

How is popularity or general liking rated, and any tips on how I can ‘advertise’ without the ‘ad’?
Popularity is based on the seasonal relevance of your avatar: the more Christmassy the avatar, the more people will like you. A suitably festive avatar is always the best advertisement.

Where's the washroom?
Follow the pointing Christmas elf.

How did I score?
Er……..boo!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
Mushroomcomix at 7:58PM, Dec. 12, 2008
(online)
Ironscarfs Ghost
Hello Douk: throw the book at you? Books are not for throwing, especially if you haven't finished reading them. They should be bound in leather and placed on appropriate shelving, bookended by bronze statuettes which depict classical scenes or art deco themes.

A quiz? Good show!:

Are comics with a storyline generally favored over no-plot ones?
No preference, but both are favoured over non-Christmas avatar supporting ones.

Again, are original characters favored over parody-ing big names?
Yes, unless you have a natural talent for parody or are referring to the characters featured in your Christmas avatar.

How is popularity or general liking rated, and any tips on how I can ‘advertise’ without the ‘ad’?
Popularity is based on the seasonal relevance of your avatar: the more Christmassy the avatar, the more people will like you. A suitably festive avatar is always the best advertisement.

Where's the washroom?
Follow the pointing Christmas elf.

How did I score?

DAMN! I lost man I have no Christmas avatar!!
Sea_Cow at 8:55PM, Dec. 12, 2008
(offline)
I WANNA BE
THE VERY BEST
LIKE NOONE EVER WAS
TO CATCH THEM IS MY REAL TEST
TO TRAIN THEM IS MY CAAAAAAAUSE
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:26PM
Mushroomcomix at 9:42AM, Dec. 13, 2008
(online)
Sea_Cow
I WANNA BE
THE VERY BEST
LIKE NOONE EVER WAS
TO CATCH THEM IS MY REAL TEST
TO TRAIN THEM IS MY CAAAAAAAUSE

Didn't know that was a fresh prince song…
DOUK at 10:51PM, Dec. 13, 2008
(online)
Mushroomcomix
Didn't know that was a fresh prince song…

Iiiiin Southwestern Kanto born and raised,
the tall grass is where I spent most of my days.
Catching ‘em, training ’em, relaxin 'em good,

I'll save that for a comic.

Also, it seems that I've made friends here. Dark Clown, Aghammer, Amanda, Mushroom, Ghost (I've heard about you), and the Sea Cow. Is there any way I can add you guys to a friends list? I can only find this Vendetta one. I don't want to put you guys on that one just yet… I mean you bet.
Mushroomcomix at 2:47PM, Dec. 14, 2008
(online)
DOUK
Also, it seems that I've made friends here. Dark Clown, Aghammer, Amanda, Mushroom, Ghost (I've heard about you), and the Sea Cow. Is there any way I can add you guys to a friends list? I can only find this Vendetta one. I don't want to put you guys on that one just yet… I mean you bet.

You just click on our profiles and click on add to friends :)
Ironscarfs Ghost at 4:01PM, Dec. 14, 2008
(offline)
DOUK
Ghost (I've heard about you),

I wasn't in the building at the time and I can prove it.
Besides, she wasn't even a real Mexican, just a girl in a sombrero.

Oh wait, am I on the Vendetta list?
Er……..boo!
Senshuu at 8:55PM, Dec. 14, 2008
(offline)
Douk!
Whenever I see your name, I think of the word “dooky”. *titters*

Welcome~

Also, parodying is overdone don't do it ever
:D
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
Mushroomcomix at 5:35AM, Dec. 15, 2008
(online)
Ironscarfs Ghost

I don't even want to know……
Aghammer at 6:54AM, Dec. 15, 2008
(offline)
oh, I do.. :) I assume there is Tequila involved.
Sea_Cow at 8:41PM, Dec. 15, 2008
(offline)
Mushroomcomix
Ironscarfs Ghost

I don't even want to know……

Disregard the shroom and give me all the juicy details.
Ironscarfs Ghost at 6:22AM, Dec. 16, 2008
(offline)
As I mentioned earlier, I was definitely not there at the time.
Huimos el hotel cuando las guardias fronterizas llegaron. Lo que ellos encontraron era natillas en el Jacuzzi. Él fue prohibido.
Er……..boo!
Mushroomcomix at 6:59AM, Dec. 16, 2008
(online)
Ironscarfs Ghost
Huimos el hotel cuando las guardias fronterizas llegaron. Lo que ellos encontraron era natillas en el Jacuzzi. Él fue prohibido.

The ramblings of a guilty man, why did the guards raid the hotel? Did you say custard in the Jacuzzi??
amanda at 8:29AM, Dec. 16, 2008
(online)
Ironscarfs Ghost

Gracias. Mis pescados son enfermos ahora. Usted es una persona muy grasiento.
(Um, that's probably every single Spanish word I actually know.)
Ironscarfs Ghost at 8:36AM, Dec. 16, 2008
(offline)
Amanda
Gracias. Mis pescados son enfermos ahora. Usted es una persona muy grasiento.
I resent that implication and I hope they feel better soon.
Er……..boo!
amanda at 11:06AM, Dec. 16, 2008
(online)
Well, it was said out of love and respect. No worries ^.^
Sea_Cow at 8:03PM, Dec. 16, 2008
(offline)
SENOR NO ESPEAKE ENGLISH

Forgot Password