Comic Talk and General Discussion *

NYC
cirienphoenix at 6:27PM, Oct. 11, 2009
(offline)
I live in the state of NY and people are shocked and sometimes infuriated when I say I've never been to New York City before. But it's across the state (I live in Buffalo) and it costs money to get there and stay there a weekend. I realize this is apparently some sort of New Yorker sin, but it's not like I said I won't go, I'm just waiting until I can afford it.

So here's your question, duckers: Do you live near a famous monument/city/etc and you've never been there despite living relatively close to it?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:42AM
Skullbie at 6:50PM, Oct. 11, 2009
(online)
I'd love to visit NYC, i hear it has literally everything in restaurants, theaters, conventions, little asia, the daily bugle, subways, fashion, the devil wears prada, beautiful people and everyone wears black on top of black.

I've been to the only thing worth noting around here though, the grand canyon is pretty awesome pictures don't prepare you for how huge and pretty everything is.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
Gillespie at 7:06PM, Oct. 11, 2009
(online)
I went to New York last year. If you ever go, I think you'll really enjoy it. I went on one of those bus tours and got to see life in Manhattan.
AWESOME.
I even liked the subway. I'm a train fanatic lol
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM
Nicotine at 8:00PM, Oct. 11, 2009
(online)
I've been to NYC many times because I used to live in NJ a long time ago and would go there very often. My last visit was this summer, and while I had a great time getting lost on the subway XD I'd forgotten how crowded NYC can be @_@. It's a great city with lots to do, but sometimes I feel like I just can't breath there. At least I got to stay at Central Park for a few hours and draw some of it. :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:16PM
mr_thin at 8:40PM, Oct. 11, 2009
(offline)
cirienphoenix
I live in the state of NY and people are shocked and sometimes infuriated when I say I've never been to New York City before. But it's across the state (I live in Buffalo) and it costs money to get there and stay there a weekend. I realize this is apparently some sort of New Yorker sin, but it's not like I said I won't go, I'm just waiting until I can afford it.

So here's your question, duckers: Do you live near a famous monument/city/etc and you've never been there despite living relatively close to it?

You should get a pen pal or friend or something in the city. Then when you go there you won't have to stay in a hotel. That's the biggest expense.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
ParkerFarker at 8:41PM, Oct. 11, 2009
(online)
yeah, I went to NYC heaps when I lived close by. It's cool, you should go at some point. Although if you are very short on money, just go watch any disaster movie or superhero movie ever made and you'll get an accurate depiction of it.

I have been to all the local local spots, but in Australia as a whole I haven't been to a whole lot of places. Like the Great Barrier Reef or Uluru.

And when I was living in America I never went to Disney World or California or anything.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
GracehFaceh at 9:51PM, Oct. 11, 2009
(online)
I've done everything there is to do in Philadelphia. Needless to say, the place of my birth has been explored thoroughly. Genos cheese steaks > your existence. I once got a cheese steak in Iowa… *Shakes head*

As for New York City, I actually really don't like it there. It was fun and all when I went, but when it comes down to it I much rather DC or Chicago. I'm not a big fan of the people, or the traffic, or how over hyped it is by movies and television. It was pretty though, during Christmas.

I've probably been influenced by my parents in that respect. They've got a lot of Philadelphia pride that sometimes rears it's ugly head in my personality, though I've lived in the suburbs most of my life. :P
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:38PM
mlai at 10:08PM, Oct. 11, 2009
(online)
I've lived in Queens for 25 years. I really dislike Manhattan, which is what you mean by “NYC”. I guess it's just what happens when you live in it, or right next to it and has to travel to it and through it every single day.

There's nothing to like about its traffic, its peoples (of all ethnicities), its smog, and its buildings that are constantly under renovation blocking off the sidewalks.

I'm sure it's nice to take a tour, though.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
lastcall at 3:42AM, Oct. 12, 2009
(offline)
I live next to D.C. but I've only actually been there once or twice. Crazy drivers run rampant there, and I'd rather not get killed. ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
skoolmunkee at 10:04AM, Oct. 12, 2009
(offline)
I find that a lot of people back in America that I've talked to assume that because I live in England, I must either live in London or in Fawlty Towers. Some have asked how far I am from London and on further conversation reveal they don't even have a clear idea of where London is. Most of those people think it must be near the coast.

In all fairness, most people in the UK have no idea where most states are except California, Florida, Alaska and Hawaii. All the rest are ‘in the middle’ or perhaps with New York and a few others ‘on the East’
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
cirienphoenix at 1:14PM, Oct. 12, 2009
(offline)
mlai
I really dislike Manhattan, which is what you mean by “NYC”.

Haha, I don't think I EVER want to live there!

lastcall
I live next to D.C. but I've only actually been there once or twice.

I was on a class trip in 8th grade that went to DC. I really liked it, but I guess some of that was thanks to the fact that there was a bus driving us and I didn't have to deal with traffic or anything like that myself.

skoolmunkee
I find that a lot of people back in America that I've talked to assume that because I live in England, I must either live in London or in Fawlty Towers.

On vacations to my grandparents in Florida, people always ask what state I'm from, and when I say New York, they go “oh that's a big city isn't it?” and when I say I don't live anywhere near the city and that I've never been, they act surprised… like the WHOLE STATE must be comprised of the city. That is my absolute number 1 pet peeve, very similar to your own. XP
mlai at 7:17PM, Oct. 12, 2009
(online)
Realistically, New York City should really be a part of New Jersey. That's how things turn out, anyways.

Then Philadelphia can either secede from New Jersey, or deal with being in New York City's shadow. Nobody will care what Philly's decision will be, anyways.

And New York State can go and be grouped with the rest of the NE states that people have no idea of.

And then New York City will rename New Jersey to New York.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
cirienphoenix at 8:06PM, Oct. 12, 2009
(offline)
mlai
Realistically, New York City should really be a part of New Jersey. That's how things turn out, anyways.

Then Philadelphia can either secede from New Jersey, or deal with being in New York City's shadow. Nobody will care what Philly's decision will be, anyways.

And New York State can go and be grouped with the rest of the NE states that people have no idea of.

And then New York City will rename New Jersey to New York.

A LOT of people I know from NJ say that NYC should be part of it, haha. They all comment that somehow that would make life that much simpler somehow. X)
bongotezz at 8:22PM, Oct. 12, 2009
(offline)
i live in buffalo too and have never been to new york city either.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
D0m at 5:35AM, Oct. 13, 2009
(online)
I live very close to DC. So…yeah. Lots of not taking advantage of monuments and stuff like that. I think I've been to the White House twice. Not that cool in person.

The tourists are more interesting to me. And we have pretty bad-ass museums that you don't have to pay for.

Nadya- a tale about what happens to SOME of us when we die.

Currently: Nadya is awake and asking more relevant questions.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
lastcall at 7:44AM, Oct. 14, 2009
(offline)
D0m
And we have pretty bad-ass museums that you don't have to pay for.

I love the Smithsonian museums. They are so awesome. …The International Spy museum is interesting, but way too crowded.
Hakoshen at 9:54AM, Oct. 14, 2009
(offline)
I get a very similar deal being from Louisiana, and folks asking me if I'm from or have been to New Orleans. I've never been there and I don't have any plans to. Lafayette, Shreveport and Baton Rouge are Louisiana enough for me. Then again, how many people have heard of any place in Louisiana OTHER than New Orleans?
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:41PM
Aghammer at 10:09AM, Oct. 14, 2009
(offline)
We have friends that live in LA so we spend time in various places but New Orleans is a great city to visit. You should go for the day and check it out (of course we were driving that way anyway so it was no biggy). You could visit HyenaHell!

I live just outside of Atlanta and have never been to the World of Coke or the Aquarium. I've also never been to a Hawks or Falcons game. I have been to all the museums, etc…

Hakoshen
I get a very similar deal being from Louisiana, and folks asking me if I'm from or have been to New Orleans. I've never been there and I don't have any plans to. Lafayette, Shreveport and Baton Rouge are Louisiana enough for me. Then again, how many people have heard of any place in Louisiana OTHER than New Orleans?
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:47AM
lastcall at 1:16PM, Oct. 14, 2009
(offline)
Hakoshen
Then again, how many people have heard of any place in Louisiana OTHER than New Orleans?

I didn't know about the towns in LA until I met my husband, who grew up in Chalmette and left after Katrina. I've been to Lafayette and I absolutely love Prejean's, and there is this place off the beaten path that sells the best cracklin. I forget the name of the place.
lba at 6:47PM, Oct. 14, 2009
(online)
I grew up in Detroit, and spent a bit of time downtown, but there never was much to do down there anyway unless you were goin' to a ‘Wings game or the Belle Isle Aquarium, but that’s been shut down for at least 5 or 6 years now. The island is falling apart these days from what I know.

In Iowa, ( where I was living anyway. ) the only attraction worth noting was in Illinois at the John Deere tractor works and museums. Otherwise, there was “the birthplace of Chiropractics” but that's a plaque on the wall of a building and that's it. I mean, I guess you could count the Mississippi, but that was such a part of daily life, that you couldn't even begin to avoid it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
Hakoshen at 7:34PM, Oct. 14, 2009
(offline)
lastcall
Hakoshen
Then again, how many people have heard of any place in Louisiana OTHER than New Orleans?

I didn't know about the towns in LA until I met my husband, who grew up in Chalmette and left after Katrina. I've been to Lafayette and I absolutely love Prejean's, and there is this place off the beaten path that sells the best cracklin. I forget the name of the place.

J best dried pork skin I've ever eaten in my life.
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:41PM
EdContradictory at 2:01PM, Oct. 29, 2009
(offline)
I've never been up in the Washington Monument. And until earlier this year had never been to the Lincoln Memorial.

It's not my fault! There's a gajillion memorials around DC!

A webcomic with pandas and robots and stuff.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM
webcomics heh at 2:12PM, Oct. 29, 2009
(offline)
Where haven't I been? I'm more than happy to take this party downtown to clowntown. Heh.

For serious though, I really need to get my ass to Paducah one of these days.

Smug I Could Do
it's only the BEST webcomic. Heh.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:48PM
Jonko at 4:28AM, Oct. 31, 2009
(online)
This thread actually reminds me of a conversation I was having with a bunch of Japanese people the other day. I'm originally from upstate NY, and when I told them that I was from the state and not the city they were shocked that Manhattan wasn't all of NY. Goes to show you that in the eyes of the world, NY is just one big city and not a huge state, lol.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon