Comic Talk and General Discussion *

People and their avatars
Fitz at 7:38AM, Nov. 30, 2007
(online)
Maybe this topic has been discussed before, but I haven't noticed… Aaanyway, what always makes me wonder is how much I sometimes identify people with their avatars. Think Volte. I catch myself imagining he's actually that red-haired five year old lol!Just like sometimes it's hard to imagine LeFarce is not Joker. And it came as quite a shock to me that Ersatz is not an amoeba ;)

Of course, some of us use either their own pictures as their avatars, like Subcultured, or cartoony versions of themselves, like DGriff. But the general tendency here and all over the internet is to use pictures of celebs or fictional characters, and unless they post a real picture of themselves, that image is to some degree stuck in your head.

Or am I just weird? :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:29PM
D0m at 7:58AM, Nov. 30, 2007
(online)
I know exactly what you mean. Like Midge, hehe.

For you, I kind of always picture that little buggy thing. DAJB also comes to mind, with that cute caricature of himself.

Also, OzoneOcean has that cool dastardly thing going on.

( I suggest you put something into this thread like -who comes to mind when you think about avatars you identify the person with? Something like that… )

Nadya- a tale about what happens to SOME of us when we die.

Currently: Nadya is awake and asking more relevant questions.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:02PM
marine at 8:00AM, Nov. 30, 2007
(offline)
I have a stable of them I like to use. Stuff related to space marines or soldier stuff. I use the parental advisory sticker. If we're doing a group theme, I always like to pick the worst character or someone whose a breakout. We played Scrubs the other day and I was the blond chick for awhile.

I like the DOOM marine that I'm using now, falling and grasping his throat as his guts explode out of him. Usually admins and mods would bust my ass over anything like that, but now that there are a ton of guys lower on the totem pole and I don't care anymore. I'm curious if I could use some of the animated ones that are scenes from horror movies.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
Fitz at 8:25AM, Nov. 30, 2007
(online)
D0m: Yeah, I was thinking about Midge, too. I keep imagining him as Tom Selleck, even though I know well what he looks like. And I still imagine Ersatz as an amoeba with moustache ;)

As for myself, I think I like myself associated with Mick - perhaps that's the reason I didn't change my avatar to Ryan. I also wanted to change it to a couple of other things, like panels from my comic, but I kept thinking that's just not me.

Marine: I think I like the Doom marine best so far. That game brings back memories.

Mostly those of being an underage mass murderer of pixels lol!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:29PM
dueeast at 9:31AM, Nov. 30, 2007
(offline)
I can't tell you how many people think I'm a black female – lol – when in fact, I am a white male. My wife is a black female but she looks nothing like Sapphira. :)

Midge is a good example. He will be Tom Selleck, there's no getting around it; it's like he's typecast.

The ones who switch around their avatars, I don't really associate as closely, but I know who they are.

It's an interesting…phenomenon.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
Croi Dhubh at 9:56AM, Nov. 30, 2007
(offline)
It's not uncommon for humans to associate with the avatars. We're programmed to recognize faces and store them in memory. Lacking an actual face, we tend to tie in the person with their avatar since it's the image we're shown every time there's a post.

Those who keep changing their avatar repeatedly aren't identified with as often, since the appearance keeps changing. Not to say that's always a bad thing.

I kind of look like my avatar, but I no longer have my goatee right now.
Liberate Tutemae Ex Inferis
Moderatio est Figmentum: Educatio est Omnium Efficacissima Forma Rebellionis

http://weblog.xanga.com/CroiDhubh - Home to the “Chuck E. Cheese Terror” stories
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:54AM
Custard Trout at 9:57AM, Nov. 30, 2007
(offline)
I know what you mean. It's not just as you describe it either, I find myself remembering peoples avatars instead of names (I am really, really useless at remembering names). Sometimes I get confused when someone changes their avatar (especially when it's nothing like their old one) or confuse one person for another if they have similar avatars. Does that happen to anyone else?
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
Croi Dhubh at 10:03AM, Nov. 30, 2007
(offline)
No, I totally agree. The guy who does “Final Fantasy Endless Waltz That Never Ends” had a different avatar than he does now. When I first came here, he had an avatar of Ichigo Kurosaki and Ganju Shiba pointing at each other. Now he uses an animated sprite avatar. I had no idea who he was when he posted recently in the forum until I saw the name and clicked to view the profile.
Liberate Tutemae Ex Inferis
Moderatio est Figmentum: Educatio est Omnium Efficacissima Forma Rebellionis

http://weblog.xanga.com/CroiDhubh - Home to the “Chuck E. Cheese Terror” stories
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:54AM
usedbooks at 10:04AM, Nov. 30, 2007
(online)
I know I associate users with avatars, especially ones that don't change much or stick to a theme. LeFarce, Midge, and dueeast especially. Even though I know they don't look like those things.

I look more like this (which isn't really cartoonified me but a character from my comic):

I used that as an avatar for less than a day. I changed it because people kept thinking I was a man and a jackass, and they were reading malice into my posts/comments – which wasn't there and wasn't intended. I finally switched over to one of my more feminine/sweet characters for an avatar.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
Ozoneocean at 10:04AM, Nov. 30, 2007
(online)
I think of people as their avi pics only if I haven't seen a real pic of them. And even then after a time their personality becomes bigger than any avi pic they might use. I've never seen a real pic of Marine or Custard Trout but their personalities speak for themselves.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:28PM
Steely Gaze at 10:34AM, Nov. 30, 2007
(offline)
I associate everyone with their avatar at first, and then kind of slide into a new picture I form of them after reading their work, or reading their posts. (This obviously doesn't count if I've ever seen an actual picture of said person.)

Me, I've changed my avatar several times now. First I had Golgo 13, then I switched to a Henry avatar from my comic, and now I'm using Jared. I don't know why, I guess I can't stand to be predictable and like to toss things up every once in a while.
A Roll of the Dice now with full-size pages!

John Clyde now with ten times the tacky Hawaiian shirts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
DAJB at 10:35AM, Nov. 30, 2007
(online)
I'm definitely in the Midge must be a Tom Selleck look-a-like camp. I know he's denied it but, you're right, he's stuck with it. Which wasn't a problem until Hallowe'en when he also sported Harley Quinn's body, spliced together with Tom's cheery face like something from Mars Attacks! Now I can't look at Harley without thinking she must have a hairy chest!

And, sadly, I do look frighteningly like my avatar. Except older. Much, much, much … well, you get the idea.

Neilsama is clearly Jessica Alba's long lost twin. He's fooling nobody with that blonde wig.

Others I imagine as looking exactly like their avatars are Alanajoli, Tantz Aerine (not too much of a stretch for either of those) and - rather more bizarrely - Skoolmunkee and Molly Loves the KLF.

I may need therapy …

EDIT: Molly Loves the KLF has changed his/her avatar, I notice, so that one no longer applies. I still imagine Skoolmunkee dances eveywhere she goes, though. Probably clashing two little cymbals together.
;)

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
CharleyHorse at 10:37AM, Nov. 30, 2007
(offline)
I dunno, but people who know me do consider me a fanny. Is that of any help?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
marine at 12:49PM, Nov. 30, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
I've never seen a real pic of Marin

Heres a pic of me:

I'm all personality and no person.
crazyninny at 1:21PM, Nov. 30, 2007
(online)
So… Does this mean everyone thinks I'm a blue demon like creature who dresses in white? ;_;

For everyones info, I have more clothing colors than white! HMPH!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
TheMidge28 at 1:29PM, Nov. 30, 2007
(online)
marine
ozoneocean
I've never seen a real pic of Marine

Heres a pic of me:
*photo of Frankenstein*

I'm all personality and no person.

Liar.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:22PM
marine at 1:35PM, Nov. 30, 2007
(offline)
Alright jokes aside,

Heres a real picture of me.

AQua_ng at 1:35PM, Nov. 30, 2007
(offline)
Subconsciously, I do link avatars to people's personality; I usually end up thinking, “Gee, I liked them better before they changed their avatar” or something like that.

Maybe it's because I'm mad.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:57AM
Randal at 3:37PM, Nov. 30, 2007
(offline)
I change mine all the time. For a long time, it would be to anything, but lately I've been trying to stick to an Ace Frehley theme. Which is hard sometimes, currently i'm trying to figure out how to keep to the theme because lately I've wanted to use Grover from Sesame Street. I tried an animation that switches from the grover pic to the Ace av, but it looks bizzare and non-sequitor… so I may just use an Ace watermark on the Grover pic.

*Useless Randal trivia: Favorite Sesame Street muppet? Grover*
*Useless Randal trivia note: As a kid, it was Ernie, but he's been bumped to #2*
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:01PM
worstcase at 3:55PM, Nov. 30, 2007
(online)
I see people by the avatar they put up. If you are a girl and you put up a boy from your comic then ill be like, “woah! that guy rocks!”

i change mine every other week it seems. Everytime i get bored with my old one, i change them like i change….socks..

yeah not a really good metaphor…
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:51PM
Black_Kitty at 3:59PM, Nov. 30, 2007
(online)
I am clearly a cat laughing at you~

Hohoho~ :kitty:
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:24AM
crocty at 4:05PM, Nov. 30, 2007
(offline)
Yup, if I saw someone who's avatar looked pathetic, I'd associate them as a tiny pathetic nerd who sits in the basement making his comics all day.
But now I see I was thinking of myself D:
But yeah, if I saw a picture of Priest Revan, I'd be surprised that his face isn't covered in fur…Indeed…
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:49AM
SarahN at 4:07PM, Nov. 30, 2007
(online)
You can tell by my avatar that I'm a generally scared person.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
Randal at 4:15PM, Nov. 30, 2007
(offline)
Damn it, Beek. Stop laughing at me.

Oh, and everyone in chat wonders why you don't come in anymore. They each think it's personally their fault. Don't you love us anymore?
Black_Kitty at 4:27PM, Nov. 30, 2007
(online)
Awww! I still wuv you all!

I've just been very busy lately and when I do log into chatrooms, I end up just idling. So after a while, I figure if I'm not going to chat, I should stop idling and looking like I am there. ^^;;;

To sort of steer this back on topic, I think this is my favourite avatar out of all the ones I've used in the past. I not only drew it myself but it seems kind of fun and it reflects my alias. Before this though, I used to use an avatar I made out of a Meowclops wallpaper.

Hohoho~
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:24AM
TheMidge28 at 4:42PM, Nov. 30, 2007
(online)
Randal
I change mine all the time. For a long time, it would be to anything, but lately I've been trying to stick to an Ace Frehley theme. Which is hard sometimes, currently i'm trying to figure out how to keep to the theme because lately I've wanted to use Grover from Sesame Street. I tried an animation that switches from the grover pic to the Ace av, but it looks bizzare and non-sequitor… so I may just use an Ace watermark on the Grover pic.

*Useless Randal trivia: Favorite Sesame Street muppet? Grover*
*Useless Randal trivia note: As a kid, it was Ernie, but he's been bumped to #2*

idea…Grover in Ace makeup.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:22PM
Randal at 5:15PM, Nov. 30, 2007
(offline)
I already thought about that, but it defeats the purpose of sweet innocent, naive Grover, so I nixxed it.
Ozoneocean at 9:56PM, Nov. 30, 2007
(online)
CharleyHorse
You made me choke on my coffee! …in Australia a “fanny” is a vagina…
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:28PM
Custard Trout at 10:09PM, Nov. 30, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
CharleyHorse
You made me choke on my coffee! …in Australia a “fanny” is a vagina…

Hence the reason I giggle like a small child whenever I see his name. it means vagina over here as well.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
lefarce at 11:01PM, Nov. 30, 2007
(online)
I try to stay true to the Joker thing, since I know people recognize me as that. I was a bit surprised to see how many people I hardly talk to on here actually pick me off the tops of their heads as the Joker, so that tells me I'm doing something right.

Lately though I've been changing it to the new images of the Joker as a way to show I'm hyped for The Dark Knight. I'll revert back to the Nicholson Joker in time, I'm sure.

I often think of Terminal as a soda can, Ozone as, well, himself, and Bekefel as Adam Ant. Volte's stands out a lot to me as well, and Spang's avatar is just too kick ass not to remember.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:31PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon