Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Platinum Studios ticker symbol has changed.
Will at 2:59AM, Nov. 28, 2008
(online)
Platinums stock ticker symbol has changed from PDOS.OB to PDOSE.OB

Anyone know why?

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=PDOS.OB
Will
putting your own quote into your sig is the post pretentious and pathetic thing anyone could ever do.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:49PM
Will at 3:10AM, Nov. 28, 2008
(online)
http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=pdose.ob

huh, plat's net income has dropped to 25% between march and june.

http://www.prnwire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/04-25-2000/0001200284&EDATE=

“An ”E“ is automatically added to the ticker symbol of any company that has
30 days or less to be in compliance with the OTC Bulletin Board's revised
eligibility rules. These rules now mandate that all companies whose
securities are listed on the OTC Bulletin Board comply with the Securities and
Exchange Commission's requirement for public companies.”

also, .OB suggests that a company has been delisted.

This is second hand, but apparently plat filed a form NT 10-Q on the 14th, meaning they have 15 calendar days to get their quarterly report in if i read that correctly. They have 1 day left if they havent done it already.

Looks like Platinum is in a bit of trouble.
Will
putting your own quote into your sig is the post pretentious and pathetic thing anyone could ever do.
Ozoneocean at 5:10AM, Nov. 28, 2008
(online)
Well if Plat sinks we'll all be clapping good old Will on the back and saying “Man you were right to keep on harping at them every 5 seconds! Wow, I'm so glad that's over, now we can all go on with our lives and forget we ever heard about those bastards. What a relief. They finally failed the way you always wanted them too!”
————————————

Personally I'd be very sad for Plat if it had to close their doors. The Plat guys that I've known have been top notch people! If they couldn't always deliver on some things, there's a hell of a lot of stuff they DID deliver on, even if a lot of it was behind the scenes. and a lot of DD people and even DD itself have gone a lot more far forward than it ever would've on it's own.

Sure, when Dylan was solely at it's helm he was fantastic- tackling every single bug and issue head-on straight away. But back then DD could not afford the traffic it has now. We couldn't even get by with what we had then. DD used to be down every third day. Dead.

Right now, for the last few months this is the best DD has ever had it in terms of trouble free runs. If it can continue like this I'll be happy :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
Will at 7:18AM, Nov. 28, 2008
(online)
ozoneocean
Well if Plat sinks we'll all be clapping good old Will on the back and saying “Man you were right to keep on harping at them every 5 seconds! Wow, I'm so glad that's over, now we can all go on with our lives and forget we ever heard about those bastards. What a relief. They finally failed the way you always wanted them too!”

Where the crap did that come from!?

I havent even set foot in this forum for like half a year, and i just wondered why their ticker changed, i did some research and that is what i found. >.>

That isnt to say I'm with them though. WHAT did they deliver on ozone?

Being funded is a double edged sword, think about this is the long term instead of whether it looks good right now ozone. DD is Plat's intellectual property, WHAT IF plat goes under? what if DD was handed to the bank as an asset?

if (in my opinion), plat was smart, they would maintain this site instead of spraying some paint on it. they would make it a good, self preserving website by raising funds intelligantly instead of slapping ads wherever there was free space and sometimes where there wasn't. Instead, theyve locked dd away in a little box and is feeding it money to pay for keeping it alive so people can gawk at it a little while longer.

second paragraph: basically what youve said is “when volte owned DD, it was awesome, the site worked flawlessly, was constantly updated, maintained and looked awesome… but now we have MONEY!”
It couldve been fixed, but volte chose the easy way out.

and now PLAT is trying the “miracle cure” out instead of putting the work in to fix what's broken: making a TV series out of their only good intellectual property, Hero by night. I'm assuming I'm not the only one thinking that wont end well.

“Trouble free runs”? youre kidding right? the site is falling apart, everything is unfinished, there are bugs everywhere. DD is a laughing stock. Just because nothing eventful has happened in so long doesnt mean its been a trouble free run.

Lastly, DD may be funded now, but with plat going down so fast it wont be long before its snuffed out of existance. Youve gotta think about the future aswell man…

That rant had nothing to do with the topic at hand, you incited it ozone.

I DONT WANT THEM TO FAIL. I want them to live. I want them to get their finger out of their nose and start turning a profit. I want them to make some smart investments. I want them to turn drunkduck into a place WORTH visiting over the other webcomic sites.
Will
Ozoneocean at 8:58AM, Nov. 28, 2008
(online)
Will lol!

Sorry man, but you know almost nothing about how this site runs and what Plat actually does for it. I can understand that though, how could you? :)

1. When Volte ran the site we couldn't handle much traffic because we couldn't afford it. Everything was good apart from that: we would never be more than what we were.

2. Money enabled us to grow, we serve a lot more users now, more importantly: we CAN serve a lot more now. Before the site was LITERALLY down every 3rd day. That means you'd log on and the site would be down for a day or more at least twice a week. Dylan did the very best he could but if you can't afford the hosting, that's how it has to be.

3. DD's profile was raised a LOT, for good or ill, our profile was raised hugely. Several DD artists have been helped by Plat with Plat paying for advertising for them, and even publishing their work in the case of Ammelius.

4. In the day to day running of this site Plat pays a lot to have DD on the go constantly. We don't have that crappy image server problem anymore and we have a line to the programmers so they can fix bugs we tell them about. They are going through tough times and they are short of funds but these guys STILL put the work in and help keep DD going.

It may take them a while to get to bugs sometimes and we get annoyed at that, but it does get done eventually. And as I say; they're going through a rough time.
Which makes the fact that they keep us going and KEEP finding the time to fix bugs even more laudable.

——————————
I'm just a little tired of people harping about how bad Plat is and how crap this site is when many people have done so damn much to keep it going. And keep it going WELL.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
SpANG at 10:09AM, Nov. 28, 2008
(online)
Someone
Being funded is a double edged sword, think about this is the long term instead of whether it looks good right now ozone. DD is Plat's intellectual property, WHAT IF plat goes under? what if DD was handed to the bank as an asset?
Not that I think this will happen, but if PS is handed to the bank as an asset, it may be a great thing. The bank will want to sell it at a very low price. We may even be able to get the community to chip in for it. Who knows? I'd put in a couple grand myself.

Someone
…if (in my opinion), plat was smart, they would maintain this site instead of spraying some paint on it. they would make it a good, self preserving website by raising funds intelligantly instead of slapping ads wherever there was free space and sometimes where there wasn't. Instead, theyve locked dd away in a little box and is feeding it money to pay for keeping it alive so people can gawk at it a little while longer.
I agree somewhat that PS does not realize a site like Drunk Duck's full potential. Not just the advertising, but the community-building, the book selling, the product placement, etc. It's a shame that everything seems to be at a low priority. Eventually, someone else will and make a better site realizing this potential.

That said, it simply hasn't happened yet. DD, with all its flaws, still has the easiest queueing system, easiest pagination interface, RSS feeds, comment systems, top lists, featured comics, Favorites, Tutorials, Games, and a good solid community. That's what keeps me and so many other people coming back. There is simply nothing as user-friendly out there.

Someone
second paragraph: basically what youve said is “when volte owned DD, it was awesome, the site worked flawlessly, was constantly updated, maintained and looked awesome… but now we have MONEY!”
It couldve been fixed, but volte chose the easy way out.
See, here's where you have no idea what you are talking about. Volte had no money and no time to update or fix the site. You may think it was an “easy way out” to sell the site, but site would have eventually gone dark if he hadn't. The only reason he had time to fix things and make new things is because PS had him on staff, a regular paying job. And the only reason he couldn't get to all the bug fixes is because it was never a priority in PS's eyes. It mostly still isn't.

Someone
Lastly, DD may be funded now, but with plat going down so fast it wont be long before its snuffed out of existance. Youve gotta think about the future aswell man…
With all the advertising gripes (and believe me, I have some myself), you need to remember that this is exactly HOW Drunk Duck pays for itself. Drunk Duck is sustaining itself BECAUSE OF the advertising. PS puts no capitol into DD, except when they hire coders (or change their in-house coders priorities) to fix things.

Lastly, your avatar is disgusting.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
Will at 11:33AM, Nov. 28, 2008
(online)
SpANG
lots of things.

i agree with most of that, disagree with some of it. Unfortunately I'm too tired to even consider a counter argument and conceed to the fact that you know a hell of a lot more than me and I'll just assume my gathered data has led me to some irrelevant and worst case scenarios.

However, I still want to say one thing.

My avatar is awesome. >.>
Will
carly_mizzou at 7:01PM, Dec. 2, 2008
(online)
Wow haven't been here in a while! Well with all my insight and inside knowledge of Platinum, the only thing I have to contribute is … yes Will your avatar is awesome, dare I say it, freaking amazing. (amazing)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon