Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Randal's Manga-thon
Randal at 5:06AM, Jan. 13, 2006
(offline)
I made it quite clear as to who can enter this contest, Jydra. And no, most american cartoons aren't specifically made in Japan. Most American cartoons are predominantly made in many places in the orient, a large portion of them coming from Korea. Though, with Flash and other programs like it, I've noticed a lot of 2D shows that are being 100% done on the computer over here in North America.

As for the Manga style, Wikipedia covers a lot of ground, but I'm not sure it touches on manga-inspired web-comics. I've already covered who is elegible for this contest.

Randal
As for who qualifies for this contest, anybody who does a manga comic, or feel they don't but have been told they do. Do what Mazoo hit on and try anything but what you are doing now.

To answer those of you who don't do manga but want to do a ten paged manga themed comic, go ahead and do that, I'll see if Chuck or somebody can donate a third DDvol1 as a prize. If you want to win that contest, throwing something together that basically just makes fun of manga story conventions or manga-inspired web-comics won't do it for you. They need to be just as well thought out and planned as some of the stuff I'm already seeing come back for the Sprite contest.

To all you cerebral Manga fans reading this thread and getting ready to put your insult on… I'm not doing these contests because I hate Sprites or Manga. I'll read a story using just about any visuals, as long as the story's good. A while back a lot of people slammed a guy who goes by the name Breezy for his art on his earliest comics, totally dismissing that a couple of them were the best written stories ever to grace Drunk Duck.
Before McLintock! there was Nimrod and later Beck. The art was rudimentary, but the stories were brilliant.

As for my avatar… it comes from the latest incarnation of my comic's title character, Gene.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:00PM
Jydra at 4:47PM, Jan. 13, 2006
(offline)
The problem herin is that you don't give any paramiters whatsoever, and no definition of what you concider to be ‘manga’ other than ‘Don’t do what you're doing now'.

Ok so that means I can take screenshots of anime games and make a ten page string of fart jokes in japanese?

That would be pretty much the exact opposite of what I'm doing now, yet I think that would fall into your definition of ‘manga’.

See, I'm not accusing you of being a manga hater. I know better. But you have created a hostile environment for those DD artists who choose the japanesque medium by challenging us to do somthing ‘different’ but with no parameters. I'm not a big rules person but you've left us in a position where litterally anything we submit can be disqualified or whatever because litterally anything can be used as a parallel to a japanese comic.

It's the same thing with your sprite contest. I mean, chances are, if they were comfortable with their drawing ability, they prolly wouldn't be doing sprites, so you're basically slamming them with a contest like this completely invalidation their stories (some of which are really good) by implying that if they were a real artist they could expand outside of their medium.

Now I don't believe you intended it to come off this way, but it did. Please put some parameters on it other than “do somthing different”. Try making this a contest that would be fun to participate in rather than somthing japanesque artists feel a need to participate in to defend themselves.

Give us a definition. What do you consider ‘manga’? ‘Cause we can turn in comics that are very different from what were doing nowand it could still be called manga.

P.S. Yes I know where your duck comes from. I just wanted to make the point especially clear that literally any art can be connected to manga, just like any actor can be connected to Kevin Bacon. I ment no offence, I’m sorry.

P.P.S Wikipedia is a great site, but that entry contains several erroneous entries. It's a fantastic online encyclopedia, but it's entries are written by regular people as opposed to researchers and professors, and as such are prone to certain common errors. You, me, anybody can write a Wikipedia entry. If the Wikipedia entry is your definenition of ‘manga’ then please make that clear.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
Ian Jay at 8:45PM, Jan. 13, 2006
(offline)
Jydra
Give us a definition. What do you consider ‘manga’? 'Cause we can turn in comics that are very different from what were doing nowand it could still be called manga.

Well, I think he means that the everyday Joe Schmoe on the street can look at the finished product and not think, “Oh, that's Japanese.” There's some grey area in there, but if you have to parse the definition of manga too fine, then your comic won't be non-manga enough.

Keep up this contest, Randal, despite cries of outrage from detractors.

~IJ
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
ShadowsMyst at 11:25PM, Jan. 13, 2006
(online)
Ian Jay
despite cries of outrage from detractors.

I don't think its outrage so much as “ could you be more specific.”

There is a lot of concern about being eliminated on a technicality or perhaps misconception. Challenging us ‘manga copycats’ to contest to draw something other than manga is fine. We just want some clarification on what we can and can't do.

Is that really so wrong to ask?

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
Randal at 1:03AM, Jan. 14, 2006
(offline)
Ian Jay
Jydra
Give us a definition. What do you consider ‘manga’? 'Cause we can turn in comics that are very different from what were doing nowand it could still be called manga.

Well, I think he means that the everyday Joe Schmoe on the street can look at the finished product and not think, “Oh, that's Japanese.” There's some grey area in there, but if you have to parse the definition of manga too fine, then your comic won't be non-manga enough.

Keep up this contest, Randal, despite cries of outrage from detractors.

~IJ

I agree, Ian, some people are taking this way too literal and way too serious. I particularly picked the Wikipedia definition, because it IS written by Joe Average. Not experts who can disect every line.

Here, however, are a few guidelines; Over the years, manga styled comics have developed a distinct set of symbolic conventions, the same way over here you'd see a lightbulb over a characters head if they suddenly developed an idea. First is the standard character design. It's true, not all manga has giganic glossy eyes, but they are a standard. Not every manga uses chibi, but it's a standard. Not every manga uses the little emoticons, like the raised vein on the forehead or the giant tear, but they are standards. The same can be said of extended legs, simplified upturned noses, hair that is dramatically clumped together instead of handled more freely and by the strand.

Story conventions that are considered manga are a little more ambiguous, but there are a few that can be singled out. The effeminate moody male lead. the caring yet loud short tempered girl. overt sexual undertones, small magical creatures… agian, these arent' in every manga, but they are common. I'm sure you can come up with more standards than I can. I'm not above asking someone to assist in coming up with more to post in this thread… You could even help with the guidelines for this and future versions of these contests.
Jydra at 1:17AM, Jan. 14, 2006
(offline)
Thankyou.

As for outcry… I'm sorry if I'm touchy on the subject.

I've been developing my style for 16 years. In that time it's gone from people in school taking my drawing pad and tearing it up, and kicking me around because “Why can't you draw like normal” all the way to people looking at my work and scoffing and calling me a poser.

So maybe I am touchy but holy moly, can't there just be a middleground?

SO I apologise for my touchyness, but from where I sit these contests really do look like an excuse to bash the respective mediums. I DO realise that's not the case. It just looks that way.

On a lighter note, I realized somthing today. I'm not doing this contest just out of respect for the Duck, but also for me. If I can't step out of my medium I don't deserve to call myself an artist.

So next question, when we finish it where do we put it?
Randal at 2:10AM, Jan. 14, 2006
(offline)
I realize people have their own schedules to maintain, and comicing in your own style takes a while, let alone branching out into undiscovered territory. So from the start date of this thread, add ten weeks, (a week per page. though you need to get cracking now as about a week has gone by.)

you announce your participation by saying so in this thread. On the first page, aside from not having the ruled out conventions (listed above, more may be added) the rest of the information is in the first post in this thread.

Somewhere, probably the first post, i'll keep a running tally of who has said they'll participate. let me know if I forget you.

As for where to put them when you're done… add it as a new comic under your account, then link it here in the thread.
Jydra at 12:35PM, Jan. 14, 2006
(offline)
Koo. I'm in.
Randal at 12:44AM, Jan. 24, 2006
(offline)
KC3T LV
In the end, there's no sense in arguing. Going beyond your artistic comfort zone only creates good things in the end.

I'm in, as well.

Well said, KC3T LV. The whole reason for this is just what you said, it only creates good things in the end.

I will add the two of you to the list.
iagojester at 11:40PM, Jan. 24, 2006
(offline)
*skritches head* Man… I really want to play… but I don't think anyone has ever told me my comic was Japanese comic-like. Can I play if I just make another comic that's also not Japanese comic-like but a far cry from my Tenniel/Rackham style?

((Sorry if you answered this, I tried to find the answer, but came up with nothin'. Oh… and this is my comic == http://www.drunkduck.com/Fated_Feather/ Maybe it is manga-esque?))

~*~Fated Feather~*~
Pirates, art history, and time travel- things could get messy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:55PM
Randal at 11:11AM, Jan. 25, 2006
(offline)
iagojester
*skritches head* Man… I really want to play… but I don't think anyone has ever told me my comic was Japanese comic-like. Can I play if I just make another comic that's also not Japanese comic-like but a far cry from my Tenniel/Rackham style?

((Sorry if you answered this, I tried to find the answer, but came up with nothin'. Oh… and this is my comic == http://www.drunkduck.com/Fated_Feather/ Maybe it is manga-esque?))

sorry, this particular contest is strictly open to manga or manga-ish comic creators only. but there will be another contest in a few months where non-manga types can compete to make their own ten page manga style comic. as well as this contest renewed, manga types doing non-manga comics
Eggbert at 12:22PM, Feb. 6, 2006
(offline)
I am so up for that comic.

The main character will be a 14 year old boy named “WAI”.

And when the kid does somthing bad, all the people will be like,

“Why Wai? WHY?”

Won't that be fun?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:19PM
T_K at 12:27PM, Feb. 6, 2006
(offline)
GWAHAHAHA HIS NAME IS WAI! HAHAHA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! OH EGGBERT YOU AND YOU SHINANIGANS!

MAY THE WORLD FLING YOU INTO ORBIT WITH A HOT MODEL NAMED BEYROUTH!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM
Chrono at 4:14PM, Feb. 7, 2006
(offline)
I know this was started a while ago, but I'd really like to give this a try. My stuff is DEFINATELY manga style (manga is really my only comic influence) and I think doing something outside my comfort zone would be a good test of my abilities (or lack thereof).

So…can I still be in it? I'm willing to grovel, I'm not too proud.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:42AM
Eunice P at 11:21PM, Feb. 8, 2006
(offline)
Isn't manga or non-manga comparison debate been “over-debated”? =_=

I think it's better to say Japanese influenced or non Japanese influenced, instead of manga or non manga styled.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
Randal at 11:41AM, Feb. 9, 2006
(offline)
Chrono, welcome aboard!
Chris-Chris, as it's been stated, if you've been called manga influenced, go for anything that doesn't contain the japanese/manga cliches.
Eunice, it's a contest, not a debate.

Read through this forum thread, chris chris, many people have described what manga is in here. I know it's getting harder to draw lines these days, as even Teen Titans is using chibi and manga/anime emoticons in that show, but it's not impossible.
ShadowsMyst at 1:20PM, Feb. 9, 2006
(online)
I think, despite my original misgivings, I'm going to give this a go. I've been kicking around a short story in my head that might actually work.

Drawing manga is completely by choice for me. Its more like stretching some lazy muscles than moving out of a comfort zone. But hey, I could use one. ( a stretch that is.) Remind myself of some of my older stylistic whims.

Count me in.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
Randal at 10:34PM, Feb. 10, 2006
(offline)
The official due date is March 18th, 2006…

It'll be here sooner than you think.
Eunice P at 10:38PM, Feb. 16, 2006
(offline)
KC3T LV
-_-

I'd actually like to see you, out of all people, entering this.

My drawing style can go from simplistic manga style to semi realism manga. I could try out this contest but I might have difficulty “westernizing” storylines since I'm heavily exposed by manga and asian culture.

Oh, what the heck. Count me in. I think I can produce 1 to 2 pages. One of the art styles I guess I'm comfortable with is probably the “Jimmy Neutron” style. But my storyline and dialogues might probably fail to meet the non manga standards.
jasonspringer at 1:04PM, Feb. 23, 2006
(offline)
Some people call my stuff Manga is it? The world may never know! :shock:
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
ccs1989 at 3:28PM, Feb. 23, 2006
(online)
Eggbert
I am so up for that comic.

The main character will be a 14 year old boy named “WAI”.

And when the kid does somthing bad, all the people will be like,

“Why Wai? WHY?”

Won't that be fun?

Let me guess; he'll be able to A.) Summon a giant robot, B.) Be able to call upon the spirits of everybody on the planet to help him in his quests, or C.) Be able to utilize one of the four ‘sacred elements’. Or something.

Actually that'd be a funny comic. A guy who's able to use elemental powers, only instead he channels the power of the periodic table (of elements!) and uses it on his enemies! Yeah! Rutherfordium power ACTIVATE!
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
Mazoo at 9:14AM, Feb. 24, 2006
(offline)
ccs1989
Actually that'd be a funny comic. A guy who's able to use elemental powers, only instead he channels the power of the periodic table (of elements!) and uses it on his enemies! Yeah! Rutherfordium power ACTIVATE!

You do know there is already a comic out there that sort of does that called “Silver and the Periodic Forces.” You can find it here

:P
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
Coydog at 10:59AM, Feb. 24, 2006
(offline)
Oh, that's a rockin' good series. Kinda reminds me of the good ol' days of eating Cap'n Crunch in front of the TV on Saturday Morning in the 70's… them's were the days!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:47AM
Randal at 9:50PM, March 2, 2006
(offline)
the contest will still end on the scheduled day, but since a couple day's later i'll be gone for seven weeks doing some OJT, the judging and awarding will be postponed until I get back.
Eunice P at 1:11AM, March 10, 2006
(offline)
I'm not sure how this is submitted. But mine's here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Eunice_P/2.gif
JillyFoo at 2:02PM, March 15, 2006
(online)
I can do that. Hahahahahah! I'll make a furry comic!!

But it has to be a “new” comic like start a new comic? does it have to be a short story to summit to you? or just start a new comic that's nonmanga on drunk duck and you'll eventually check it out?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
JillyFoo at 8:08PM, March 15, 2006
(online)
Randal
the contest will still end on the scheduled day, but since a couple day's later i'll be gone for seven weeks doing some OJT, the judging and awarding will be postponed until I get back.

Dude! when is the scheduled day? good grief. give a date.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon