Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Ratings
magickmaker at 5:49PM, Feb. 5, 2006
(offline)
I'm not sure if this belongs here, but I have a question. How do the Top Fifty and such work? I've seen comics with mostly ones stay up there for hours. How does it work? Is it hits?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
MagickLorelai at 8:56PM, Feb. 5, 2006
(offline)
I have no idea how that works, either. I've had a comic up there for a week or so, but it's gradually moved down the list and has been replaced by folks with one page and even one rating of “5”. I'm wondering how the “Top Fifty” works. It's not pageviews or hits, because I had a pretty good amount of pageviews yesterday and I was STILL knocked off the list.
Sam_Charette at 4:58AM, Feb. 6, 2006
(offline)
It was neat seeing mine go to the top 50. I thought “Wow, I didn't expect THAT to happen!”

Then I saw a lot of other comics up there with only a comic or two, and now I no longer feel special :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:21PM
Terminal at 8:01PM, Feb. 6, 2006
(online)
Well, I think it could be ranked by the newest comics. Since well. The newest comics always end up at the top of the list, and usually go down once a new comic appears. I`ve seen other comics, not new on that list.

But, hey. What the hell do I know?

.: Myxomatosis :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:09PM
Ronson at 8:16PM, Feb. 6, 2006
(online)
The top 50 list only updates a few times per day, I think.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
MagickLorelai at 11:24AM, Feb. 9, 2006
(offline)
I think what the issue is, is that the title “Top Fifty” is extremely misleading if it's based on how new the comic is, because people will think those are the “Best Fifty” stories. If that's the confusion, maybe the title of the list should be changed to reflect that?
Randal at 12:00PM, Feb. 9, 2006
(offline)
Most people aren't going to be on a main list. I've not been on one in weeks. I'd say if you want more consistant readers, push for people to favorite you. Also, favorite other people who's comic you don't want to miss and click the “favorites” option in your “customize main page layout” section of your control panel.

The best thing to do is what Subcultured said in another thread… Network. If you want people reading your comic, go read thiers. I click on people's names when they visit my comic. That's how I started reading Life and Death and a few other comics. Also, this is going to sound shameless, but I make sure I go visit and comment on the “top 25 most read” comics

Also, do people a favor. Go through the main list of all comics. There are a lot of GREAT comics on DD that aren't on any top lists. Most of my favorite's list is from trudging through the main “List All Comics” list. Also, Come here in the forum and participate, put a link to your comic in your signature line… It works.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:00PM
MagickLorelai at 1:20PM, Feb. 9, 2006
(offline)
One: That's been what I've been doing, though I don't exactly have hours and hours to dedicate to that. Two: That doesn't always work. People don't always “check you out” just because you've commented on their page, or someone else's page that they also read. It doesn't work for everyone.

I wasn't necessarily complaining myself that I'm not ON one of these lists, it's that the list name was misleading *IF* that “top Fifty” was about newest comic as opposed to best. I admit I don't know how it works, and I don't care if people notice my comic or not, I don't even have much of an archive to impress people with anyway. Thanks for the advice, though.
subcultured at 1:46PM, Feb. 9, 2006
(online)
Most of the time I actually read people's comic if they comment on some other comic.

reason 1, cause i know that there is actually a living person who is updating thier comic, and not some queing program.

reason 2 they understand that this site is about being a webcomic COMMUNITY. emphasize on community, which is why they comment because they care about their fellow comickers who worked hard on each page.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:00PM
Ozoneocean at 2:11PM, Feb. 9, 2006
(online)
subcultured
Most of the time I actually read people's comic if they comment on some other comic.

reason 1, cause i know that there is actually a living person who is updating thier comic, and not some queing program.

reason 2 they understand that this site is about being a webcomic COMMUNITY. emphasize on community, which is why they comment because they care about their fellow comickers who worked hard on each page.
here here! :smt041
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon