Meet, Greet, Show and Sell*

Redux: Did you just update? Tell us why someone should visit your comic. But ONLY AFTER commenting about the comic BEFORE yours. ^_^
tupapayon at 8:03PM, Nov. 12, 2014
(online)
Wow… no words needed… I can feel the emotions… very efective…

I thought I would give it a try to this forum… anyways… I barely started posting this comic… Introducing now two new characters…. read if you please… http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Juan_Xapon/

Comment if you can and want…
mangaka2170 at 10:06AM, Nov. 14, 2014
(online)
Don't you just love those damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't traps?
Anyways, useful commentary: Proportions and posing are a little awkward, although not significantly more so than mine. Scaling (especially that last panel where the girl bends over, she looks a bigger rather than closer) and perspective (in the first panel, it looks like the table and chairs are on an incline) are problems, and your backgrounds could use some work (for example, there should be a line where the wall meets the floor). Also, your writing has room for improvement (gay jokes are so ‘90s, although I personally found your twist on the formula amusing), but I can see a lot of potential here if you work at it some more.
There are all sorts of tutorials on the web to help you learn to do these better, and I think your comic will be better for it. That said, I think you’re off to a pretty good start, and it would be a shame if you were to abandon your work because you thought you weren't good enough. We all started from somewhere around where you are, and it takes practice, a willingness to learn, and more tenacity than you know what to do with to get to the kind of art you're trying for. Keep it up.
—–
In this update of Frontier: 2170, Misty explains how she knows more about FTL “radio” than the people on the news.
Want to support Frontier: 2170? Now, you can sign up to make monthly contributions on our Patreon page at http://www.patreon.com/user?u=177434 For the rock-bottom cost of a dollar a month, you get to have your name put in the Producers' Credits section on both the website and all future printed volumes of Frontier: 2170, as well as other bonuses if you donate more. If we can raise $50 a month, Frontier: 2170 can start updating twice a week, on Tuesdays and Fridays. So, if you like what you see, and you want to see more, please go to the Patreon page and donate today!
Read Frontier: 2170 here (updates Tuesdays and Fridays)
last edited on Nov. 14, 2014 10:12AM
mangaka2170 at 10:46AM, Nov. 20, 2014
(online)
In today's update of Frontier: 2170, Sara tells her story (trigger alert: death, brutality, hate crimes, dehumanization).
Transgender Day of Remembrance 2014
Today is a day dedicated to all of the gay, lesbian, bisexual,
transgender, and genderfluid people who have been murdered and
brutalized for being who they are. How they identify themselves is not a
choice, as some would have you believe; the popular theory in the field
of psychology is that sexuality is det…ermined
during conception (and is not a mental illness; homosexuality was
removed from the DSM in 1973), and recent neuroscience studies have
indicated that gender dysphoria is likely caused by the brain being
wired for a body of the opposite sex. Decades of attempts to “cure”
non-heteronormative sexual identities have met with no success, and tend
towards abusive and horrific practices.

Studies performed by San Fransisco State University have estimated that
non-heteronormative youth who have experienced high levels of rejection
from their families during adolescence are more than eight times as
likely to attempt suicide, more than six times as likely to report high
levels of depression, more than three times as likely to use illegal
drugs, and more than three times as likely to be at high risk for HIV
and other STDs, all by the time they reach their early 20s. The Suicide
Prevention Resource Center estimated that 30-40% of non-heteronormative
youth have attempted suicide.
According to the FBI, in 2008,
although 4,704 crimes were committed because of racial bias and 1,617
were committed because of the victim's sexual orientation, only one
murder and one rape were committed due to racial bias, while five
murders and six rapes were committed due to the victim's sexual
orientation. Furthermore, violent hate crimes based on sexual
orientation tend to be especially brutal, even when compared to other
hate crimes. It is rare for a victim to be simply shot; he is more
likely to be stabbed multiple times, strangled, and mutilated.

Although Sara's account is a work of fiction, events like what she
describes do actually happen in the real world, and it is both horrible
and tragic. I can only hope that by the 22nd century we will have moved
beyond such hatred and ignorance, but if history is any indication it'll
take much longer than that unless proper action is taken. They don't
have the time.
Frontier: 2170 will resume its normal update schedule on Friday, November 28th 2014.
mangaka2170 at 1:09PM, Jan. 2, 2015
(online)
Well, this is encouraging…
—–
In this update of Frontier: 2170, “When did you become an expert on quantum mechanics!?”
Want to support Frontier: 2170? Now, you can sign up to make monthly contributions on our Patreon page at http://www.patreon.com/user?u=177434 For the rock-bottom cost of a dollar a month, you get to have your name put in the Producers' Credits section on both the website and all future printed volumes of Frontier: 2170, as well as other bonuses if you donate more. If we can raise $50 a month, Frontier: 2170 can start updating twice a week, on Tuesdays and Fridays. So, if you like what you see, and you want to see more, please go to the Patreon page and donate today!
Shawn_Perry at 8:57PM, Jan. 5, 2015
(online)
I really like the use of grey wash in your art. I'm terrible at those sorts of things. I will have to read more than just that last update to get the storyline of the series, but i like the science jargon, too. Tres Star Trek. :)
Okay, now the self promotion. Everyone should check out my series Funk!:http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/FUNK/5474168/ which just updated.
Why, you ask? Because it's different, it's brash and silly and thoughtful (somewhat) and it has cute girls and weird art and I just want people to read it, okay? lol. I got 10 favorites and now I feel like John Grisham. Not everyone will like it, sure but then Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everybody liked, they left that to the Bee Gees.
mangaka2170 at 10:35AM, Jan. 9, 2015
(online)
Very nice cover, although it would have been nice to have a few more pages up so i could get an idea of what the story is like. Nicely done.
—–
In this update of Frontier: 2170, “Next!”
Quoth143 at 4:46PM, Jan. 20, 2015
(offline)
Nicely done. The expression of the character really stands out, especially in that last panel. You can really tell she is upset.
——————————-
In this week's update, Georgia Malcolm recalls something her grandfather used to say when it came to Gallow Walkers:
Stonecutter Crew on The Duck : Page 4
irrevenant at 6:17PM, Jan. 20, 2015
(online)
Really nice, clean art with a distinctive and personable style and just the right amount of detail. Interesting combination of a serious situation and humour.

You should check out this month's Heroes Alliance Monthly Mayhem because it's the first one to actively solicit your feedback. We want yourideas about who the posted characters this month are. Seize upon this free licence to be opinionated! :D If you want to submit a character of your own that's welcome, but you don't have to to have your say…
last edited on Jan. 20, 2015 6:23PM
mangaka2170 at 9:27AM, Jan. 23, 2015
(online)
Good God, that eye's creepy. For some reason, I want to say that her name is Susan, and she has mind control powers. If you ever call her “Suzie,” you're taking your life (and your very soul) into your own hands.
—–
In this update of Frontier: 2170, “Momma, it's me, Desdemona.”
ashtree house at 1:11AM, Feb. 1, 2015
(offline)
Hi! I'm new here, I also noticed that this forum hasn't really budged since mid-jan, so HELLO FEBRUARY!
So, the comic above me, Frontier 2170.. wow I gotta read this comic through, it looks cool.. I love sci-fi. I love the last panel, the bandages and everything. I also like how this comic is, like, hand toned.. marker? I think this medium isn't used enough anymore (and I am totally guilty of it), I can tell alot of time and care go into your pages!
As for Steel and Manitou, this is my new comic set in a fictional area of the great American West, a story about a travelling actress and her encounter with Native American spirits and lore. In this update, our little homeless girl speaks with the actress she has just been inspired by. We also learn her name!
Thank you ev everyone who mght be checking this comic out, I really appreciate any support/constructive critism/collaboration etc.. :)
Genejoke at 3:17PM, Feb. 1, 2015
(online)
oooohh, shiny a new comic.
Nice bold colours and great expressions. you might want to watch speech bubble placement a bit. the one in the first panel covering the art… not so good. even being opaque. actually the opacity made it hard to read that text. Sorry sounds like I'm being critical, but it pays to mention it as the comic shows a lot of potential so the little niggles stand out. keep up the good work.
Lore updated recently. Davin has gained the upper hand and recived back up from Stakken and Idmar.
http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Lore/5475929/
mangaka2170 at 11:00AM, Feb. 6, 2015
(online)
That last question does bring up a good point.
Other than that, the transition between panels two and three seemed a little jarring, as if there was something that was supposed to be there but wasn't.
—–
In this update of Frontier: 2170, “Momma, I'm coming home.”
Want to support Frontier: 2170? Now, you can sign up to make monthly contributions on our Patreon page at http://www.patreon.com/user?u=177434
For the rock-bottom cost of a dollar a month, you get to have your name put in the Producers' Credits section on both the website and all future printed volumes of Frontier: 2170, as well as other bonuses if you donate more. If we can raise $50 a month, Frontier: 2170 can start updating twice a week, on Tuesdays and Fridays. So, if you like what you see, and you want to see more, please go to the Patreon page and donate today!
ashtree house at 9:01PM, Feb. 8, 2015
(offline)
We are going to bring the forums back to life guys >:(!!
I love this page, sometimes little text say way more then filling space with words. I can see the emotions clearly on this page. The writing is a big hard to read on the monitor because of the lines, I suppose it has little to do with the story/is meant to be hard, but still had to squint a bit to read it. It's the only thing I could find to offer constructive criticism on the page though hehe :)

In Steel and Mantiou's latest update (Saturday 7th), our troupe is asking the lead Actress and creator of the tavelling act to hire an extra hand, as it's too hard on the old lady to do all the special effects and acting. The prolouge is a bit slow, but I love prolouges to set the tone and setting for a comic. It was my first time drawing the Western plains, so it has been alot of fun!
last edited on Feb. 8, 2015 9:02PM
Genejoke at 12:20AM, Feb. 9, 2015
(online)
nice one panel page, you did a good job with the carriage.
personally I avoid posting two pages in one, it elps me build a buffer of material.
In BASO things go from bad to worse as Carl gets his rant out. Warning, some choice language.
http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/BASO/
mangaka2170 at 9:52AM, Feb. 13, 2015
(online)
Now would be a good time to hatch a cunning plan…
—–
In this update of Frontier: 2170, “I was at Tranquility when the Martians attacked.”
Want to support Frontier: 2170? Now, you can sign up to make monthly contributions on our Patreon page at http://www.patreon.com/user?u=177434
For the rock-bottom cost of a dollar a month, you get to have your name put in the Producers' Credits section on both the website and all future printed volumes of Frontier: 2170, as well as other bonuses if you contribute more. If we can raise $50 a month, Frontier: 2170 can start updating twice a week, on Tuesdays and Fridays. So, if you like what you see, and you want to see more, please go to the Patreon page and contribute today!
ashtree house at 11:21PM, Feb. 13, 2015
(offline)
I already commented on your page, Let me add I love the shading/coloring.. I mentioned it before, but I do admire it!
In my update of Steel and Manitou.. why.. the prologue is over! And mysterious forces are at work here. OhhOOOhhHh…
fromfinn at 5:22AM, Feb. 14, 2015
(online)
First off, let me just say right off the bat that this comic is a lot better then I expected…
Now I can explain, I read your entire comic from first to latest and immediately I notice improvement as I went through the pages. This simply means this will get even better with age and I'm just noting theart style.
However, the concept isn't too too original (and don't get me wrong I mean what is these days) althoughdespitethat being said- it's still a very good read. Of course the comic is still young and I'm sure as time goes on it will be a gem. Personally, I think you're capturing something that has truepotentialand on a side note creating a tearjerker willcertainlyset spark on your comic.
⑊Heh. Was that too much?
—————–
In this weeks ALONE TIME COMPASS,
the entity in question might be the first to realize who it might be.
Ever wonder what it would be like to face a person with a serious problem? Ever wonder how it would be like to be distant from everyone? Ever wonder when your world would end? Ever wonder why no one can see what you see? Travel across universes to discover all sorts of characters on a journey to seek entrancement. Every Friday!
last edited on Feb. 14, 2015 5:24AM
ashtree house at 7:08PM, Feb. 14, 2015
(offline)
fromfinn wrote:
First off, let me just say right off the bat that this comic is a lot better then I expected…
Now I can explain, I read your entire comic from first to latest and immediately I notice improvement as I went through the pages. This simply means this will get even better with age and I'm just noting theart style.
However, the concept isn't too too original (and don't get me wrong I mean what is these days) althoughdespitethat being said- it's still a very good read. Of course the comic is still young and I'm sure as time goes on it will be a gem. Personally, I think you're capturing something that has truepotentialand on a side note creating a tearjerker willcertainlyset spark on your comic.
⑊Heh. Was that too much?
—————–
In this weeks ALONE TIME COMPASS,
the entity in question might be the first to realize who it might be.
Ever wonder what it would be like to face a person with a serious problem? Ever wonder how it would be like to be distant from everyone? Ever wonder when your world would end? Ever wonder why no one can see what you see? Travel across universes to discover all sorts of characters on a journey to seek entrancement. Every Friday!
Haha, not too much. (well, maybe a bit at first) I appreciate a brutally honest answer though, I think constructive criticsm is the best way to make a peice of work better. TBH I kind of just started this comic not really knowing what direction the story will take, so hopefully I can make something good from it.
No comments for anyone else, just wanted to say thanks hehe ^^
Genejoke at 1:32AM, Feb. 16, 2015
(online)
That page has a good sense of energy to it. I also like the cover on the previous page.
———————————————————————————————————-
In Lore. Calisa and company arrive at the wayfarer's rest to plan their next move to elude their pursuers and possibly get some rest.
http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Lore/
mangaka2170 at 10:56AM, Feb. 27, 2015
(online)
It wasn't uncommon for slaveholders to keep a woman or several around as personal attendants with “French benefits,” to shamelessly crib from M*A*S*H. Nice page.
—–
In this update of Frontier: 2170, “Doctor?”
Want to support Frontier: 2170? Now, you can sign up to make monthly contributions on our Patreon page at http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.patreon.com%2Fuser%3Fu%3D177434
mangaka2170 at 10:38AM, March 6, 2015
(online)
Nice to see that the Duck tradition of keeping thread necromancy at bay is alive and well.
—–
In this update of Frontier: 2170, “My arm itches. Do you think it's safe to remove the bandages?”
For the rock-bottom cost of a dollar a month, you get to have your name
put in the Producers' Credits section on both the website and all
future printed volumes of Frontier: 2170, as well as other bonuses if
you contribute more. If we can raise $50 a month, Frontier: 2170 can
start updating twice a week, on Tuesdays and Fridays. So, if you like
what you see, and you want to see more, please go to the Patreon page
and contribute today!
Genejoke at 1:12AM, March 9, 2015
(online)
Nice page, it doesn't do anything dramatc , but it does push the story forward. looks good as always.
In Lore we get a glimpse of two sets of characters. Gerard's fight comes to an abrupt conclusion and Calisa gives her crew the plan, such as it is.
http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Lore/
mangaka2170 at 8:30AM, March 13, 2015
(online)
I'd probably do the same if I were chieftain.
—–
In this update of Frontier: 2170, “Just get on the table, and we'll let the missus do the rest.”
For the rock-bottom cost of a dollar a month, you get to have your name
put in the Producers' Credits section on both the website and all
future printed volumes of Frontier: 2170, as well as other bonuses if
you contribute more. If we can raise $50 a month, Frontier: 2170 can
start updating twice a week, on Tuesdays and Fridays. So, if you like
what you see, and you want to see more, please go to the Patreon page
and contribute today!

toondoctor at 10:07AM, March 17, 2015
(offline)
fromfinn, I like your colours very much. Some of the fonts are a bit fuzzy though. Good work!
Genejoke at 4:08AM, March 20, 2015
(online)
Nice black and white art.
In BASO I have posted the second page of a chapter that features some guest artists. This page is courtest of Banes. Harriet is put on the market.
http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/BASO/
Sway at 10:00PM, March 20, 2015
(online)
I really like the use of breaking panels near the bottom of that page. It's not something I do nearly enough, but am going to try to fold into my own work in the future. That kind of work is always tricky; if you do it wrong, the reader can easily get lost. But it flows really well here.
fromfinn at 3:50PM, March 21, 2015
(online)
Sway, I would beintimidatedby a naked mask vigilantie staring at me.
————
This week on ATC, our “special guest” discovers the true pain of absolutely everything.
Genejoke at 11:54PM, April 9, 2015
(online)
It's one of those comics where I don't know what to think of it, but it is strangely compelling. good work.
Im Lore Malandra may be in trouble.
http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Lore/5480913/
mangaka2170 at 10:05AM, April 10, 2015
(online)
I think you might've gone a little overboard with the motion blur, but other than that, it looks pretty good. That gate in the last panel doesn't seem to serve mugh of a purpose, though - there's no wall to stop someone from just walking around it.
—–
In this update of Frontier: 2170, lots of typing. Lots and lots of typing. This is never a good sign.
For the rock-bottom cost of a dollar a month, you get to have your name put in the Producers' Credits section on both the website and all future printed volumes of Frontier: 2170, as well as other bonuses if you contribute more. If we can raise $50 a month, Frontier: 2170 can start updating twice a week, on Tuesdays and Fridays. So, if you like what you see, and you want to see more, please go to the Patreon page and contribute today!
Genejoke at 2:00PM, April 21, 2015
(online)
I think the itching is the least of her worries.
Good page again.

In lore the action continues, with less motion blur.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon