Interviews

Round 7! bravo1102 interviews TheFlyingGreenMonkey of No Talent (and others)!
skoolmunkee at 3:03AM, June 2, 2009
(offline)
This interview is of TheFlyingGreenMonkey, whose comics are No Talent, The Rejects and Blatantly Obvious!
(interview conducted by bravo1102!)

Hello, I'm Bravo1102, you probably have no idea who I am but I've been chosen at random to interview you.

Question #1. Your profile says you're a 19-year-old college freshman and you love art. Please tell us more.

Well I'm 5'10, weigh about 160lbs. But I don't see what that has to do with an interview. Just kidding! I don't know what else to say. I'm a person who enjoys making people laugh, even if I don't get them to laugh as often as I'd like.

From reading No Talent you know how to tell a funny story. What do you think makes something funny and what do you see as the biggest influences on your sense of humor?

I don't know what makes something funny O.o I am just a man who makes a comic. My sense of humor is shaped by my life experience, crazy stuff happen I just take advantage of that.

We're all people who write comics. We also all occupy physical space and breathe. ;) But there's more to what you do and why you do it and we'd like you to share that with us. This will then be given to a panel of trained professionals can then fit you into your strait jacket appropriately.

What experiences shaped your sense of humor the most? Were there specific people or watching certain TV shows or movies?

don't know. I was bullied a lot maybe that helped? I watched a lot of Becker and M*A*S*H. Some of my favorite humor is sarcastic humor or violent humor >

Violent humor? Like Three Stooges and slapstick?

I mean more like Adam Sandler. In my case, scissors stabbing and bat beatdowns are my violent humors. I don’t know what it is about violence that’s so funny bt it gets people laughing and I like comments. I also like laughter but I can’t tell who is laughing unless there is a comment telling me. ;D

I know the feelings about the lack of feedback.

How did you choose the character design you use? Why the shape, the cat ears.

Well it started out as a sketch of kittens in a box, like the Happy Holiday pic. Then I decided on a whim to make it a humanoid. People liked it so I kept it.

What materials do you use? Walk us through how you do a strip. Do you rough out the strip, or just draw it all at once?

I use a ruler, pearl eraser, pencil, sharpie, and ball point pens. Ruler + Sharpie = borders, then pencil sketch, ink with pen and finally erase the pencil.

What’s your view on recycling gags? Do you avoid it, try to twist it, or go with the classics or bend over backwards to be original?

I’ll recycle gags. If I come up with a good one I want to keep it and use it later and see if anyone has actually read my archive. I do bend over backwards to get something new everyday though.

When you come up with a gag, is it an aha! Moment? Or do you sit around for hours working out the details, BS with friends, walk around campus mumbling to yourself…

All of it. I get a lot of my ideas from conversations with my friends and from those aha! Moments. Though I am starting to have to brainstrom for ideas.

What is your favorite type of comic? (Epic fantasy photo comics maybe? ;-)

Sorry Bravo but I prefer the hand drawn style. I like almost any type as long as it has humor in it. I like Mob Ties what every type that would be considered. I also enjoy the dairy type comics.

Everybody does. Trust me after 150+ pages I’d rather be hand drawing it.
What are your favorite comics outside of Drunkduck?

One of my old favs is called Wasted Tallent XD though I had forgotten about it when I chose the title of my comic. It’s a dairy type made by a Canadian engineer student. I also like Evil Diva, its cute and funny.

Boring question: what do you want to do when you get out of college? And ideas what you plan to major in?

I don't know yet. I'm majoring in Political Science but I'm learning Japanese in case I want to become an English teacher in Japan. I'd love to do more political jokes but no one REALLY gets them it seems.

I see you’ve started a couple of story comics, how is that different? Is it different? Just on a goof? What are your future plans for them?

No I actually do work hard on The Rejects, it’s just that its harder to make the pages and with No Talent updating daily and school full time I don't really get a chance to work on them. It’s different in the sense that its like 50 times harder. I have story arcs already for Rejects and I think It could go far if I ever updated on a schedule.

How do you keep track of your ideas? Notebook? Memory?

Mainly memory but I am starting to write them down so I don't forget.

Where do you find most of your ideas coming to you? And what was the most embarrassing /inconvenient place you got an idea? Shower? Bathroom, exercise bike?

Most come from me hanging around campus. Shower I guess but I don't find that embarrassing.

What has been your craziest idea?

Probably the Rape, then kill, then rape again thing. Its something I'm not proud of but it got a lot of laughs in RL when I showed it around.

Do you get writer’s block? What’s your favorite method to break it?

I get it a lot. I just start brainstorming and if that doesn’t work I order my friends to do something funny.

What is your name?

Dustin William DeWitt so DWDW XD but this info is in my comic hidden in the boarders.

What is your quest?

Top ten or bust.

What is your favorite color?

Green

And lastly; what is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Did they even solve this in the Holy Grail?

No, just the beat of the wings to maintain constant velocity in the opening scene. I just like asking the question. Your answers could determine follow-up questions, but if you feel this is enough it's your call.

I'm up for more questions, unless you want to get this in right away?

Wait, rape, kill and then rape again? I got to know where that one came from.

Sadly that came to mind right when she said that there was no negative for a resume. There is probably something wrong with me o.O

What are your future plans for your comics? Publication, syndication, oblivion?

I don't there is an audience out there for me to publish any work and it takes too much work. Syndication sounds fun but once agian I don't know if there would be an audience. So oblivion sounds good by default.

For those unfamiliar with your comics could you give us a brief run-down of each one so everyone reading this will increase your readership?

No Talent is my first comic and my funniest. It is one of those random humor comics but the twist is it’s about me! And not some other losers. It updates Mon-Friday except for Finals. If it makes me laugh then it should do the same to you XD

The Rejects is an epic fantasy, scifi, multiverse, crossover, super hero comic. I work much harder on this one and would like to see it get some notice. I'm not very good at updating it but I do have story arcs planned out for it. I'd like to include characters from all of DD comics and even users maybe.

BO is just obvious statements to pictures. I don't recommend this comic. Go to one of the other two ;D

No talent has make me laughing out loud more often then not. J What is the back-story behind your screen name?

That is a sad story of love that never was. Also I posted it in the general forums already and am too lazy to go get it and paste it here. It has nothing to do with Wizard of Oz.

Just thought I’d ask in case someone reading this is lazy too. The answer is in the persona and screen names thread. I’m too lazy to link to it. J That’s it from me; is there anything you’d like to add?

No, I just want to thank you for taking time out of your life to interview me. It was a blast! XD

Thank you for sitting through it. I enjoyed it a lot too. Others make interviews look so easy. Oh, and I don’t have a life; it sort of fades away after you turn 30.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
Gillespie at 9:57AM, June 3, 2009
(online)
The gray background of the forum made it quite difficult for me to read this, but once I kept forcing myself to read the interview, it got interesting. I finally read an ENTIRE interview!! :D Good job!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM
oldguy85 at 10:26AM, June 3, 2009
(offline)
Nice interview there Flying Green Monkey.
Good luck in school, too. Have to check out No Talent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:21PM
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 12:08AM, June 6, 2009
(online)
oldguy85
Have to check out No Talent.
Yes you do X3

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:17PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon