Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Sneak Peak
crocty at 7:55AM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
(-_-) This is REEEEALLY making me want to leave DD.
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:50AM
CoyoteLongshot at 11:06AM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
Now, this is sort of a funny problem.

I don't know if this is related to the new design or not, but I can't edit my pages. I'm the sort of person who will work on something for a long time and not see the flaws in it until I come back and look at it again, so I usually end up changing my page after I post it… But for some reason changing your page doesn't work right now. I tried last night, (I even cleared my personal data, cookies, etc. to make sure that wasn't the problem) but it didn't work, so I just ended up deleting the page and reposting. Then I decided there was something else that needed changing, so I changed it around, and once again the edit page didn't work, so I decided to just leave it overnight to see if it changed, but alas it did not work.

So now I'm reposting it AGAIN, mildly fearing getting yelled at for spamming the main page with the same comic page.

Eep.
I'm on the Hairway to Steven, baby!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:47AM
crocty at 11:10AM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
CoyoteLongshot
Now, this is sort of a funny problem.

I don't know if this is related to the new design or not, but I can't edit my pages. I'm the sort of person who will work on something for a long time and not see the flaws in it until I come back and look at it again, so I usually end up changing my page after I post it… But for some reason changing your page doesn't work right now. I tried last night, (I even cleared my personal data, cookies, etc. to make sure that wasn't the problem) but it didn't work, so I just ended up deleting the page and reposting. Then I decided there was something else that needed changing, so I changed it around, and once again the edit page didn't work, so I decided to just leave it overnight to see if it changed, but alas it did not work.

So now I'm reposting it AGAIN, mildly fearing getting yelled at for spamming the main page with the same comic page.

Eep.

And just what does this have to do with the new layout?
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
PIT_FACE at 11:24AM, Feb. 9, 2008
(online)
he said he didnt know if it had to do with the changes or not. so i take it it just started happening when that did. if i'm wrong about that, go ahead and correct me cuase i dont like speaking for people.

but there have been a lot of bugs since this happened, very possible this is another one.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
crocty at 11:41AM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
Ah right, missed that.
Nope, that bugs been about for a very long time.
VEEEERY long time.
*sigh*
Red Slayer at 12:16PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(online)
I think the best right now would be to have a rollback until everything is fixed.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:03PM
CoyoteLongshot at 12:24PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
crocty
Ah right, missed that.
Nope, that bugs been about for a very long time.
VEEEERY long time.
*sigh*

Oh. Oops.

Still something they should fix, though, as long as they're fixing all these other bugs.
I'm on the Hairway to Steven, baby!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:47AM
Black_Kitty at 12:47PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(online)
crocty
Kamikazi productions
Bring back the old layout you corporet money grabbing sell-out!
Seconded'd

I'm getting tired of hearing this. This may seem like a new instance for all of you but every single damn time the front page gets changed, someone always screams sellout.

I'm all for people voicing disagreements and/or stating that they don't like something. It can be helpful and it's perfectly valid. No one will get banned or warned for that. I am not for people trying to bully someone just because they don't like how things go. Just because he's the creator of the site doesn't mean he's free game.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:24AM
crocty at 1:05PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
Black_Kitty
I wasn't agreeing that Volte's a sellout.
I was agreeing that the old layout should come back.
I can't open my dropdowns, or edit my sigs, or view older profile videos.
(-_-)
Kamikazi productions at 2:18PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
I'm calling him a sell-out because he is.
I want the old layout back because it was better and this one just plain sucks…
Don't hate me because I have an opinion that insults someone because I can bet almost every opinion will insult someone at some point…
I believe DD has sold out and I stand by my opinion, if you don't like it, sod off..
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
VegaX at 2:47PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
The old layout isn't coming back, so at this point i think it's better to just shill for a while and see what happens. The new layout is being worked on and eventually I'm sure it will be just fine.

What Volte6 and the gang want is constructive criticism and not just a “IT SUCKS” cause that's not very helpfull at all.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:39PM
crocty at 2:54PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
Kamikazi productions just basically
PLEASE BAN ME!
:3
We've already said everything wrong with it.
Dropdowns, editing sigs, comic descriptions, and older videos don't load up when you're on firefox.
The side toolbar is out of line with the rest of the page.
The background is non existant, and needs to begin existing.
Loading times are terrible.
Forum text too small.
(-_-)
SoItBegins at 3:04PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(online)
Ok, I've tried using it a while. Here's my second verdict:

Like:

The way you can view the descriptions of every comic on the front page.

The column showing the date your favorites last updated in the Favorites panel.

The new ‘random’ list, in effect giving everybody a shot at front-page stardom.

The way you can filter the lists by genre and type.

Hate:

The way you have to click a whole bunch to read the news. I've forgotten to check for the past four days in a row.

The way featured comics seem to have lost the long, custom-made description that they used to get.

Want:

The ability to filter comics in the front-page lists by Number of Pages and Date Last Updated. Please add this– it would make the random lists that much more meaningful for me.

The long descriptions on the featured comics.
The Mad Scientist Wars: Adventure! Heroes! Villains! Gender-swapping! MAD SCIENCE!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:49PM
subcultured at 3:48PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(online)
DD was sold to platinum, yet they still provide free service.
are you paying for your comic space?

is volte done retooling and debugging DD? no.
so, you sod off.

J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM
usedbooks at 3:50PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(online)
SoItBegins
The long descriptions on the featured comics.
I definitely agree. The featured comics aren't as meaningful this way. Bigger thumbnails alone don't make them stand out. I miss the commentary. It's much more interesting and meaningful than just having the author's description (and only on mouse-over like the non-featured ones).

The main page would benefit greatly from two sections of actual text: the old feature descriptions, and the news. (The newsposts are infrequent enough that people probably aren't going to bother going through all the motions to check it often, so they'll miss interesting projects, interviews, and milestones.)

Lack of these two things causes a loss of pageviews and interest in comics and projects.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
Allan at 4:10PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
crocty
Forum text too small.

Ok, press Ctrl and + –your font size increases. Problem solved for now.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
skoolmunkee at 4:24PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
Reading this thread makes me tired. So tired.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:40PM
anonymousposterchild at 4:27PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
Allan
crocty
Forum text too small.

Ok, press Ctrl and + –your font size increases. Problem solved for now.

Great, except that that's a dumb idea. I shouldn't have to change browser settings to make reading some forums not give me a headache.
Official DrunkDuck curmudgeon
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM
hpkomic at 4:42PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
Kamikazi productions
I believe DD has sold out and I stand by my opinion, if you don't like it, sod off..

You are a waste of air.

As for any complaints, I'd be less worried with the layout if it displayed correctly in Opera.

As of right now, I am staring at a disjointed header, with a 5 pixel seam between the logo and the navigation-bar below.

It seems that most people here are throwing a fit, and while I don't entirely think that's fair, I do think DD should of waited and tested the layout across browsers before making in the standard look. Because from what I am looking at, it was obviously not done to the extent it needed to.

Seriously, that seam should not be there.

Also, anyone who is threatening to leave DD over this is an attention-whore of elephantine proportions.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
crocty at 4:47PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
hpkomic
Also, anyone who is threatening to leave DD over this is an attention-whore of elephantine proportions.
I really am considering it.
I probably won't, but I was thinking about putting a notice up on my comics saying “Hey, DD's new layout sucks, so I'm moving to DA! :D”
I probably won't, but I was considering it…
*sigh*
What has Volte done?
Steely Gaze at 4:52PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
You know, I just want to chime in with a little something.

Yes, this new look needs some work, but does it suddenly ruin DD? Hell no. And everyone who gripes, or starts throwing around baseless accusations should just shut up. I'm not pleased with this yet, but I know we aren't being left in the ditch here. So long as the site works, and works well, it is fine with me. (Even though I still hate the white background.)

That said, there are some genuine kinks to be ironed out, and all you whiners are just lowering the chances of anything meaningful to be done or of anyone taking your problems seriously. Give your thoughts, and then shut up for a while and wait. Websites aren't built in a day.

And now I'm done in this thread; I've said my piece and I hope I am heard. Thank you and goodnight.
A Roll of the Dice now with full-size pages!

John Clyde now with ten times the tacky Hawaiian shirts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
hpkomic at 4:53PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
crocty
I really am considering it.
I probably won't, but I was thinking about putting a notice up on my comics saying “Hey, DD's new layout sucks, so I'm moving to DA! :D”
I probably won't, but I was considering it…
*sigh*
What has Volte done?

What was done was an attempt to run some new ideas for DD, but I think this is too sudden. What I'd of done is started tweaking the prior look to insert the features needed now.

But let's look at the bright side. We have a bunch of excellent new features like thumbnail based comic-listings and very useful filtering functions (bye bye sprite comics).

I think the only real complaint that is at all fair and agreeable is that this was not tested enough before being thrust forward as the look of the site.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
AccoSpoot at 5:02PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
Steely Gaze
You know, I just want to chime in with a little something.

Yes, this new look needs some work, but does it suddenly ruin DD? Hell no. And everyone who gripes, or starts throwing around baseless accusations should just shut up. I'm not pleased with this yet, but I know we aren't being left in the ditch here. So long as the site works, and works well, it is fine with me. (Even though I still hate the white background.)

That said, there are some genuine kinks to be ironed out, and all you whiners are just lowering the chances of anything meaningful to be done or of anyone taking your problems seriously. Give your thoughts, and then shut up for a while and wait. Websites aren't built in a day.

And now I'm done in this thread; I've said my piece and I hope I am heard. Thank you and goodnight.

Hear hear, but the sooner they get these issues resolved the less senseless griping there'll be.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
Custard Trout at 5:15PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
I'm actually getting used to the new layout now, even the colour. There are some weird things yes, like the forums being pushed over to one side and the ads being in my face. There are bugs as well, but they'll get fixed. Really, I think the pros outweigh the cons, and it can only get better.

Right?

RIGHT?

crocty
“Hey, DD's new layout sucks, so I'm moving to DA! :D”

You'd honestly prefer DA to this? It's not dedicated to comics you moron, using it to host a webcomic is an exercise in hair tearing frustration. It can barely display its main export, Sonic fan comics drawn in MS Paint.

I was trying to avoid posting in this thread, but oh well.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:00PM
crocty at 5:24PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
Custard Trout
crocty
“Hey, DD's new layout sucks, so I'm moving to DA! :D”

You'd honestly prefer DA to this? It's not dedicated to comics you moron, using it to host a webcomic is an exercise in hair tearing frustration. It can barely display its main export, Sonic fan comics drawn in MS Paint.

I was trying to avoid posting in this thread, but oh well.
Yeah, DA's layout is better than this.
JustNoPoint at 6:01PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(online)
Here's my thoughts as of now. Basically a list of things I still wish for. I like lots of new stuff but these things kinda overshadow the pros IMO

Forum font size increase

A bit darker background still. The grey is still hurting my eyes a bit.

MyFavorite/Comic/News being able to stay open. (This is priority as I have been missing some updates from friends)

Being able to remove favorites.

News being on the front page again. Though this will certainly make the admins jobs easier now as they won't have to worry about people pestering them to announce milestones and such =p

The special description a Featured comic received.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
anonymousposterchild at 6:31PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
Steely Gaze
So long as the site works, and works well, it is fine with me. (Even though I still hate the white background.)

Works? We lost our control panel, changing avatars seems more broken than before, bugs from the previous system still persist, rendering errors, waiting for my favourites to load, having to click to see the news when that is VERY MUCH a main page feature, misaligned text and one new feature is not WORKING.

Hell, that big fancy system they've got when you mouse over the comic thumbnail to see the description? I remember when that from something like 3 years ago, only back then it worked and aligned properly in all browsers.
Official DrunkDuck curmudgeon
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM
omegasonic0 at 7:09PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(online)
Okay, I'm calm about this cause I know that theres 1 man working on this and he has a life. My qualms are:

The forum font size.
The background color.
The Mycomics, Favcomics, and News things not staying open (and the occasional comic description under the ads)
Oh, and the old bugs like the trophys and such.

Everything else is realy nice.

So, shut up, chill out, and relax! I don't see most of us doing anything other than whinin and cryin and callin Volte a sellout! He's one man with a life so chill, and wait. He'll hear (or read) our requests and do something about it. Just be patient. Thank you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:21PM
Dan at 7:33PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(online)
I do understand many problems and frustrations most of you face as of now (I do too), but sheesh, it's been only like, 4-5 days (Inferring to the topic launch date)? Not like problems can be fixed with a simple wave of a magic wand. No, it just doesn't work that way. Drunkduck isn't run by a group of mad-skilled technicians working 24/7… right? (Right?!)
I'd give it a week to have basic interfaces working at efficient level and a month or two to have this layout good-to-go. If not, ehh… my patience will prevail.

hpkcomic
I do think DD should of waited and tested the layout across browsers before making in the standard look. Because from what I am looking at, it was obviously not done to the extent it needed to.
Now come to think of it, I think you have mentioned a valuable point there. I'm no tech-minded but I feel that the layout could've been tested with a “dummy site” to see what needs to be changed and what needs to be kept before implementing the design here, if possible. Also, the title reads, “A Sneak Peek”- I feel that this layout has been hastily placed. I apologize if I happen to be making blantant assumptions.

“I like shooting, but I sure as hell don't like being shot at.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
deleted-byrequest-03 at 7:37PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
It's nothing to really freak out about. DD was made for people who want to upload their comics online, not to judge how pretty the layout is. Plus, Volte6 is trying to improve on things. You don't need to shoot him down like that.

This layout isn't bad at all. I can definately get used to it.

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon