Comic Talk and General Discussion *

So, uh?
Cthulhu at 11:42PM, May 23, 2008
(online)
Whatever happened to Drunk Duck merchandise? Was it just really unpopular, then taken off of the Drunk Duck front page? If I tried to buy something from there, would it come in the mail, or is that website totally dead? Also, are there any plans for NEW DD stuff?

If you can still order from the site, I'm sure there are plenty of newbies that would want to take a look at it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
skoolmunkee at 3:35AM, May 24, 2008
(offline)
It was probably shut down because no one bought anything from it. I found everything to be really ugly. It was just a cafepress store anyway.

If you bought something off the site you'd get it, since it's cafepress who would do the printing and shipping. I wouldn't expect it to show up again on the site anytime soon though. Plat has pretty much abandoned DD.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
killersteak at 4:42AM, May 24, 2008
(online)
Skool…? Have you been hacked…?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
Ozoneocean at 5:34AM, May 24, 2008
(online)
She's just come back from a working holiday to Italy! Everything is fresh, exciting, Italian, and smells of basil there.

After that DD must seem rather unkempt. :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:31PM
Eirikr at 8:07AM, May 24, 2008
(online)
skoolmunkee
It was probably shut down because no one bought anything from it. I found everything to be really ugly. It was just a cafepress store anyway.

If you bought something off the site you'd get it, since it's cafepress who would do the printing and shipping. I wouldn't expect it to show up again on the site anytime soon though. Plat has pretty much abandoned DD.

I'm not really surprised Plat has abandoned DD, as this really isn't the type of site that makes a good amount of money(it's all indie creators and it's all free), but I don't see how them removing the store really helps anything. It almost seems like it would be against their favor.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
Ozoneocean at 8:33AM, May 24, 2008
(online)
ugh.

I think Volte's intention with that was to always make something that was more DD controlled. From what I recall that “store” feature was considered redundant ages ago. I'm surprised anybody noticed it was gone.

Skool's remark about Plat isn't entirely related to the loss of the Cafe press thing; it' a general comment about the state of the site. OK? ;)

————————-
There's a general malaise and feeling of neglect.
Things are kept running, but…
:(

Anyway, it doesn't help to get too down on things :)
Eirikr at 8:45AM, May 24, 2008
(online)
'Kay. As the pythons say, I'll look on the bright side. :)
lefarce at 10:52AM, May 24, 2008
(online)
I have a hard time thinking of DD as a sinking ship, I've been here so long and it hasn't been bad up until recently, what with the bugs and blah blah blah.

That makes me wonder though, how is DD paying for server costs. I was under the impression that Plat forked money over, so if it's abandoned or gets abandoned, would we be kept afloat on ads, or will the site go the way of the do-do?

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
Ozoneocean at 11:11AM, May 24, 2008
(online)
As I say: Things are kept running, but… ^_^

The site hasn't been abandoned by plat. It's still being paid for.
SpANG at 12:28PM, May 24, 2008
(online)
skoolmunkee
I wouldn't expect it to show up again on the site anytime soon though. Plat has all but abandoned DD.
There. Fixed.

The truth is that PS has not ABANDONED Drunk Duck, but is IGNORING it. And I don't see that changing anytime soon. It's a real shame.

I can still host our comic, and the queuing system works better than any other hoster I've seen. Plus, DD gets a LOT of traffic. I don't credit PS in any way for that, though.

The only thing I can tell you is that the site still works for hosting comics, and the forums work… Kinda.

Well, for now, at least. :/
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
lefarce at 1:26PM, May 24, 2008
(online)
Ooh, Ok. My bad I read that wrong. Makes sense.

Skullbie at 2:07PM, May 24, 2008
(online)
SpANG
and the queuing system works better than any other hoster I've seen.

Same here, DD's got the best ranking system and all. In fact if SJ wasn't filled with yaoi comics and used a pageview rank instead of a fav; DD would go out of business in a month i bet. The site owners know what they're doing over there.

But I'm talking about something outside my control, and i don't have the resources to create my own webcomic hosting site to fix it. u.u
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:46PM
lefarce at 3:27PM, May 24, 2008
(online)
Skullbie
SpANG

Same here, DD's got the best ranking system and all. In fact if SJ wasn't filled with yaoi comics and used a pageview rank instead of a fav; DD would go out of business in a month i bet. The site owners know what they're doing over there.

But I'm talking about something outside my control, and i don't have the resources to create my own webcomic hosting site to fix it. u.u

I do. Which is to say myself and a few others have the know how and the time.

We just need money. A lot of money. We were actually really close to doing it at one point, had most of it coded, got a template, started on graphics, and then stopped because we couldn't get server space large enough to keep an image hosting site afloat. :/

Eirikr at 3:50PM, May 24, 2008
(online)
lefarce
Skullbie
SpANG

We just need money. A lot of money. We were actually really close to doing it at one point, had most of it coded, got a template, started on graphics, and then stopped because we couldn't get server space large enough to keep an image hosting site afloat. :/

I actually know a computer place in my town where you can buy a server(like, an actual physical one), but considering its a used coms store, it's probably not very good, but still. Just throwing that out there.
lefarce at 4:02PM, May 24, 2008
(online)
Eirikr
lefarce
Skullbie
SpANG

I actually know a computer place in my town where you can buy a server(like, an actual physical one), but considering its a used coms store, it's probably not very good, but still. Just throwing that out there.

Well a site starting out wouldn't need a very large server. The thing about image hosting is that you really don't want to wipe your images out, so there are massive backlogs of images that need to be stored.

In other words, the server might be too large and expensive at first, actually. But if I may ask, any idea how much it costs?

Eirikr at 4:36PM, May 24, 2008
(online)
I don't have much of an idea, but I can check in the next day or two and get back to you.

edit: (It's probably around $100 or so. I'll check though.)
lefarce at 5:51PM, May 24, 2008
(online)
If it's not too much trouble or out of your way. I know a guy who has been wanting to buy a server, even if it's just a cheap one.

JustNoPoint at 5:14AM, May 25, 2008
(online)
@ Lefarce
Ah, screw it. I can't think of any irreversible damage that could be done.

My justnopoint server has 1536000 MB of disk space with a monthly bandwidth limit of 15360000 MB.

Would that be enough to start going early on?

And is this the same thing APC is working on?

EDIT: Oh yeah, you don't HAVE to use justnopoint.com as the name of the site either. I can buy new domains for the same server.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
Skullbie at 6:45AM, May 25, 2008
(online)
I can't do crap worth with advanced coding but I know what i want in a webcomics site and how it should be maintained. I'd be pretty good for giving advice and making sure the sites not running wonky like DD :)

i.e. I'd be good for site ideas and blueprints

My ideal comic site has an advanced html like smackjeeves, ranking system like DD, fast/useful site design like SJ only cooler, Friendly forum community like DD(no pricks) and has a cool name. -_- OhAndNoSpriteComics… but that's wishful thinking :D
lefarce at 5:21PM, May 27, 2008
(online)
JustNoPoint
@ Lefarce

My justnopoint server has 1536000 MB of disk space with a monthly bandwidth limit of 15360000 MB.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you don't HAVE to use justnopoint.com as the name of the site either. I can buy new domains for the same server.

To start, I suppose so. I can contact the guy I know if you're interested in working on something like that, and of course I would be more than happy to help.

EDIT: @Skull, if I were to plan out a site like that, I would need a ton of help to make damn sure it goes according to plan and would love to hear your thoughts. This is, again, assuming all the right strings can be pulled.

IIRC the name we had for the first project was SketchLife, or something along those lines.

Red Slayer at 7:45PM, May 27, 2008
(online)
SpANG
skoolmunkee
I wouldn't expect it to show up again on the site anytime soon though. Plat has all but abandoned DD.
There. Fixed.

The truth is that PS has not ABANDONED Drunk Duck, but is IGNORING it. And I don't see that changing anytime soon. It's a real shame.

I can still host our comic, and the queuing system works better than any other hoster I've seen. Plus, DD gets a LOT of traffic. I don't credit PS in any way for that, though.

The only thing I can tell you is that the site still works for hosting comics, and the forums work… Kinda.

Well, for now, at least. :/

This is how a part of my childhood went.

Not looking good.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:03PM
Eirikr at 1:00PM, May 28, 2008
(online)
lefarce
JustNoPoint
@ Lefarce

To start, I suppose so. I can contact the guy I know if you're interested in working on something like that, and of course I would be more than happy to help.

EDIT: @Skull, if I were to plan out a site like that, I would need a ton of help to make damn sure it goes according to plan and would love to hear your thoughts. This is, again, assuming all the right strings can be pulled.

IIRC the name we had for the first project was SketchLife, or something along those lines.

Hm. Might be late notice, but here's what I found today.

I went uptown to The computer store today(MICOMP), and looked at their inventory for servers. The big bulky corporate ones are something like $400 plus setup, much to my surprise. You can use traditional PC's as a server though apparently. Those run from $100 for bad but functional(1.8 GHz, 20 GB HD), to $250 for decent(2.66 GHz,80 GB HD, DVD drive).

I should also add I know nothing about servers. Even if you already have one set up though I'd love to help if I can.
Ozoneocean at 6:10PM, May 28, 2008
(online)
You can run a server application on any computer. But there's a lot more to it. :(

Go to good old Wiki.
lefarce at 10:31PM, May 28, 2008
(online)
We did have an old junker we used as a server a long time ago, but we had to rip the RAM out of it a few years back, so that's not happening. The server is out of my price range, I'm afraid, but would work. Honestly the best bet would be to take justnopoint up on the server space they have.

I really would love to get a site up and running, but I would need Mad Hatter's help above everyone else. Already talked to him about it, but he hasn't gotten back to me. :/

hpkomic at 10:38PM, May 28, 2008
(offline)
If I could just get the funding and space, I'd totally get a DD-competitor going. Not out of spite mind you, but competition is healthy.

I've got some great features lined up, though I believe APC/Jebus has already claimed most of my ideas to put into his system. :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
carly_mizzou at 11:47AM, May 29, 2008
(online)
uhhhh…er… I should just keep quiet here. Glad to see people getting motivated by all this though!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
ccs1989 at 1:41PM, May 29, 2008
(online)
I don't see the problem with Plat ignoring DD. I remember when it was first bought out everyone was afraid of too much Corporate control.

Besides remember some years ago DD would die every year for a couple of months? That doesn't happen anymore.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
JustNoPoint at 2:25PM, May 29, 2008
(online)
HPKomic: Would my space not be considered space and funding? I really don't use it for anything important aside for a redirect to here and for a few friends.

And if it started doing really well to need more space, I could swing some more cash into it and we could place some ads to generate some revenue back.

Organizing would be the toughest part at 1st. Probably would need to create a message board either there or meet somewhere else like at HPKomic's site or Lefarce's forum.

Anyway, all I have to do is create a sub domain and hand out the username/password and those involved could get working. I wouldn't consider myself a good programmer though. I know enough to get by. I could aid in feedback, giving databases, etc.

EDIT: And using your own server would be tough unless you have insanely fast connection speeds for multiple people to connect through it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
hpkomic at 2:31PM, May 29, 2008
(offline)
JustNoPoint. I can easily set it up on my server too, the only problem is finding a coder and generating an entire site as a proof on concept, then shop around for funding to expand it.

As I lack any real coding knowledge (I make up for this in ideas and design-sense), I'll pretty much throw my hat in with whoever can showcase the desire and effort to but this sort of thing together, from there, my ideas are totally going to be pitched.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
Skullbie at 2:41PM, May 29, 2008
(online)
hpkomic
JustNoPoint. I can easily set it up on my server too, the only problem is finding a coder and generating an entire site as a proof on concept, then shop around for funding to expand it.

As I lack any real coding knowledge (I make up for this in ideas and design-sense),
What about Enkida? SJ's coder?
When i talked to her she seemed pretty damn nice, maybe she'll give us a discount of some sort for this type of project. on top of that she's got pretty much all the knowledge needed for this type of project.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon