Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Suppose we gave all these various opposing groups what they wanted...
Lonnehart at 1:41PM, Sept. 23, 2009
(online)
Let's say we were able to create portals to other worlds. All of these worlds are exactly like our own except completely devoid of humans. The idea comes out that instead of fighting each other like we always do, we send the various groups into the worlds to live out their lives and follow their beliefs without conflicting with other groups? Do you think our own world will be at peace?

There's so many opposing groups out there. Women who want to erase men from the world, men who want to do the same to women, the various religions out there, those who want everyone to stop doing this and that and those who want to do exactly the opposite thing…

So if we offered these people their own slice of paradise, do you think our own world will finally be at peace?

Something tells me that it won't happen that simply though. A lot of these people want to convert THE ENTIRETY OF EXISTENCE to their view, so giving them their own slice of heaven will only give them more places to attempt to “convert”. Anyways, what do you all think?

okay… that's it. I'll stop drinking Yuban and go back to the cheap Western Family coffee I was drinking earlier.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
Custard Trout at 1:55PM, Sept. 23, 2009
(offline)
I think we'd hit a snag when we get to people who are opposed to colonising alternate worlds and figuring out who controls the technology.

Besides, the real problem with people today is that there simply isn't enough Custard to go around. Everyone both needs and wants more Custard.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:02PM
jaex at 2:03PM, Sept. 23, 2009
(offline)
I think the problem is that most people fit into many groups, so even if you managed to categorize everyone into certain groups they'll just find something to argue about amongst themselves anyway. Several women from the “erase men” group might have very different and very strong views on an entirely different subject.

edit- Because I kinda ignored the main question before I hit send…

I suppose it could be possible that *our* world would be peaceful in that case, but I guess it just seems like a stretch anyway. The thing is, I don't see why some people would go for living on another world when some people truly just seem to want to cause problems. There'll always be trouble even in the most peaceful settings– and what I mentioned above still applies to every “world” here.

And if one world is at war, they'd probably feel jealous about any other world living in peace.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
ParkerFarker at 3:54PM, Sept. 23, 2009
(online)
naahh, I don't think so. Humans argue, not everyone would want to just live their own beliefs, they'd wanna convert everyone to their belief.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
humorman at 3:55PM, Sept. 23, 2009
(offline)
Lonnehart
Let's say we were able to create portals to other worlds. All of these worlds are exactly like our own except completely devoid of humans. The idea comes out that instead of fighting each other like we always do, we send the various groups into the worlds to live out their lives and follow their beliefs without conflicting with other groups? Do you think our own world will be at peace?

There's so many opposing groups out there. Women who want to erase men from the world, men who want to do the same to women, the various religions out there, those who want everyone to stop doing this and that and those who want to do exactly the opposite thing…

So if we offered these people their own slice of paradise, do you think our own world will finally be at peace?

So what you're saying is that you're in favor of apartheid?

I thought we were over this, but apparently some people never learn.

Billy vs. Tree – The epic struggle of boy versus tree.
Sonic Colores – It looks like it's going to be a good game because I love how the way it makes me grow.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
PIT_FACE at 4:02PM, Sept. 23, 2009
(online)
you pretty much have to split every single one of us up into different rooms for that to happen.no more progress,nothing. just a bunch of fatheads stroking their egos.maby im being too cynical. the bottom line is i'd rather be with those i care for and dont agree with then by myself.most of the time anyways. hell we all need a break sometimes.

but i see what you're saying, offer the choice. eh, it'd be a nice haven i guess. but alot of peolple wouldnt take it becuase people spread their ideas. would ya rather have opposition or a one track mind?

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:45PM
seventy2 at 4:44PM, Sept. 23, 2009
(online)
why do you think the worlds are empty?
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:30PM
bongotezz at 7:21PM, Sept. 23, 2009
(offline)
what would happen is the people on each of those worlds would have offspring who might not agree with their views and you'd end up at square 1 again.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
mr_thin at 7:49PM, Sept. 23, 2009
(offline)
bongotezz
what would happen is the people on each of those worlds would have offspring who might not agree with their views and you'd end up at square 1 again.

I agree. Not only that, you'd no longer have any innovation with everyone on those worlds agreeing. The clashing of ideas, especially in the scientific fields, are key to that. I mean what would have happened if Einstein didn't disagree with those who came before him?

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
lba at 8:00PM, Sept. 23, 2009
(online)
Custard Trout
Besides, the real problem with people today is that there simply isn't enough Custard to go around. Everyone both needs and wants more Custard.

Obviously, we'd be much better off looking for worlds with more Custard in them than empty worlds to expand into.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
bravo1102 at 8:03PM, Sept. 23, 2009
(offline)
There would always be someone who would want to find out who is doing this and try to bring everyone together. Maybe a guy in a goofy hat, with curly hair and a long scarf waving around a bag of jelly babies and extolling the virtues of custard.

Of course in one alternate world everyone would have a goatee.

It's a similar idea to the Riverworld series and has probably been written about in numerous other SF works. There's also the time travel genre where you think your universe is one way only to discover it's something quite different.

People could never leave well enough alone. Unless this was the infinite universe bit and each alternate universe could not be reached without serious effort that made it impossible to go back. That's another genre.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Skullbie at 8:27PM, Sept. 23, 2009
(online)
Culture is a pretty important part of everyone's life, even the parts they don't agree with, a lot to do with our advancing society and technology is due to cooperating with other cultures.

As for peace… i doubt it, i can just imagine the thought of heresy coming back into a religious community, or a whites only community bringing back the ‘ole noose. Even my ideal lesbian society would probably be filled with fights over butches that look like men and if transsexuals count. (and also stupid feminazis, hypocritical pacifists, and black lesbians always stirring up double minority drama like they do in forums)

For my alternate worlds i’m just going to play video games, since virtual reality will most likely be invented after i die :gem:
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
BffSatan at 8:59PM, Sept. 23, 2009
(online)
How the heck are we gonna get 6 billion different worlds?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
Lonnehart at 9:39PM, Sept. 23, 2009
(online)
bravo1102
There would always be someone who would want to find out who is doing this and try to bring everyone together. Maybe a guy in a goofy hat, with curly hair and a long scarf waving around a bag of jelly babies and extolling the virtues of custard.

He'd probably stay. He's not doing things like some other groups seem to… like advocating the extermination of people who refuse to join or convert and using violent means to move their “cause” forward. I think it's those groups that should have their very own paradise. However as I mentioned before a group like that would not be satisfied until every being in existence conforms to THEIR beliefs and they'll do anything to bring that about… even invading all the other worlds as well as THIS one and threatening everyone with death if they don't convert. Perhaps it's just human nature or something…

The world does need more custard… and more trout… and more top hats. :)

BffSatan
How the heck are we gonna get 6 billion different worlds?

6 billion is a tiny drop in the bucket of the infinite Universe. Well… unless you believe the Flat Earth's society's claims of otherwise…
Rich at 10:00PM, Sept. 23, 2009
(online)
If your idea was possible and we could just send them to other places to live however they want, said outcasts would eventually end up in the same situation we are in now and then they'll be tossing their dudes out to go live how they want, and so on and so on.

Simply wouldn't work in the long run. It's human nature to find shit to bitch about and to be asses to one another. Separating them won't change that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:07PM
Product Placement at 5:04AM, Sept. 24, 2009
(online)
This idea reminds me of of this interesting spin on Frederick Turner's Frontier thesis.

It was stated in the movie Interstate 60 which I recommend people to see. A guy in the movie says this:
“About a hundred years ago he(Frederick Turner) came up with a theory about the frontier. He said the frontier was a safety valve for civilization, a place for people to go to keep from goin' mad. So, whenever there were folks who couldn't fit in with the way things were, nuts, and malcontents, and extremists, they'd pack up and head for the frontier. That's how America got started - all the crackpots and troublemakers in Europe packed up and went to a frontier which became the Thirteen Colonies. When some people couldn't fit in with that, they moved farther west, which is why all the nuts eventually ended up in California. Turner died in 1932, so he wasn't around long enough to see what happened to the world when we ran out of frontier. Some people say we have the frontier of the mind, and they go off and explore the wonderful world of alcohol and drugs, but that's no frontier. It's just another way for us to fool ourselves. And we've created this phony frontier with computers, which allows people to, you know, think they've escaped. A frontier with access fees?”

The actual thesis didn't describe it like that though. Frederick attempted to explain the reasons behind American mentality by pointing out how the settlers had to adapt to new way of live and environment by abandoning what could be described as European characteristics. Those with the power to tame the wild would expand further west changing their way of thinking to an even bigger extreme.

…which is why we ended up with all the nutcases in California ^^
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:51PM
kyupol at 11:56AM, Sept. 24, 2009
(online)
read: “The Law - Frederic Bastiat”
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
Orin J Master at 7:26PM, Sept. 24, 2009
(online)
you'd be surprised how many groups, when actually able to get away from the groups the oppose, won't do it.

part of what they want to make them happy is to force their beliefs on others, so they need the people they disagree with there. and so the pointless conflict continues.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
bravo1102 at 7:53AM, Sept. 25, 2009
(offline)
The most recent incarnation of the Flat earth Society (the Canada one) was a practical joke (Read Flat Earth: the History of an Infamous Idea by Christine Garwood)

As for a group wanting to conquer everyone to dominate them; Daleks.

I agree with Orin J Master on this(habit to capitalize names, people keep capitalizing bravo too ;) ) Groups given the choice to move away often stay in their enemies' face.

As for Frederick Turner; he did live long enough to see the closing of the American Frontier. It was considered closed in 1912 or so or at the most the end of WWI. (Huge bibliography on this.) As for the human frontier the first words of the opening of Star Trek have been ingrained in modern culture.
Star Trek
Space, the final Frontier
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Lonnehart at 1:41PM, Oct. 4, 2009
(online)
Wow… just had another thought on this subject… if all the video gamers/programmers left this world to make games in their own paradise, people like Jack Thompson would attempt an “invasion”. Can't imagine why he would go through the effort to do that though…

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon