Networking & Community Projects*

The Rejects
kingofsnake at 12:07PM, Aug. 28, 2007
(online)
I'm possibly starting a new commmunity project in October, I wanna get a feel for things from you guys first…

As you may or may not be aware Zuda Comics is starting up come October. They're running a contest everymonth where comic artists submit an 8 page comic with a chance to be paid to work on it for a year. Now, like many other comic artists, I'm not about to submit to them any of my current running properties, but I have a head full of ideas to pitch them. Which means every month or two I'm going to have a new 8 page comic ready-to-go.

I fully expect most of them to be rejected, and as such I plan to post them on a site on Drunk Duck called “The Rejects” so at least they'll get seen.

My question is, should this be a community site? Do any of you intend to submit something new to Zuda? If so do you have plans for it should it not make the final ten? I think having one site running would be a good way to showcase alot of talented people, of course giving them full credit and linking to wherever the please.

Anyway…thoughts?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
ConroyConroy at 2:11PM, Aug. 29, 2007
(online)
I think it should be a community thing. But I don't think it should just be limited to people who are trying to get into zuda. I want to send in pages to ambrosia publishing, which I know will get rejected but I'll still try. And if they do get rejected maybe I could add them to your dd rejects. I think any and all rejected dd-er pages should be a part of the rejects project.
num num
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:44AM
kingofsnake at 2:19PM, Aug. 29, 2007
(online)
Well, I wasn't planning on limiting it to DD, but I like the idea of the 8 page submission because then you have like a short, cohesive story. I guess it would depend on the length of the submission, but I could definately see extending the requirement of the project from “submissions rejected by Zuda” to “submissions rejected by any publisher” if that was the case though, I'd like to get a copy of the rejection letter, so it'd be like ‘Here’s why it got rejected, what fdo you guys think“ or ”they couldn't even make the effort to send me a personalized letter, the jerks"

But then I'd have to limit the entry to X number of pages.

I imagine alot of comics that get rejected from publishers wind up as webcomics in one way or another. This project would be like, free publicity for those projects…
Kxela at 2:36PM, Aug. 29, 2007
(online)
sounds fun :D I've been wanting to make some more
short comics even for myself ^^
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM
SpANG at 7:20AM, Sept. 7, 2007
(online)
This has been mentioned in DRUNK DUCK News on Gigcast #105 & #106! Check it out!
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
RentAThug at 6:16PM, Sept. 8, 2007
(online)
I like this idea. I've got a project I'm planning to pitch to Zuda, and it'll be nice to have something to do with it if (okay, more realistically “when”) it gets rejected (or if they actually post the contract and it turns out it sucks). Good idea!

Crime Pays, updating Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:05PM
Mystic Hand at 9:40AM, Sept. 12, 2007
(online)
kingofsnake
…a good way to showcase alot of talented people…

The big downside to consider is that nearly all submissions to publishers get rejected for very, very, very good reasons. So it wouldn't be a talent showcase as such. It would be more of a “what not to do” showcase that you'd have to work hard to keep from degenerating into a Sour Grapes Club (even though that would make an awesome name for a Web community) or an insincere pat-on-the-back fest.

Your post got me thinking about Zuda Comics again, but I'll either start a new thread about that or revive an old one if it already exists.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
kingofsnake at 12:37PM, Sept. 12, 2007
(online)
I imagine if someone is going to go through the trouble of sumbitting something for publication, they'll be submitting something they think feasibly could and/or deserves to get published.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon