Interviews

theends interviews repoman of Endstone!
skoolmunkee at 2:52PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(offline)
This interview is of repoman, whose comic is: Endstone!
(interview conducted by theends!)

Hi, I'm the author of the Ends, interviewing Anthony Theisen, the creator of the 2009 Best Fantasy Comic winner, Endstone.

If you haven't read Endstone, I highly recommend it. Tony has created a completely original narrative with believable characters in a deep, mysterious world. The story moves along quickly, with plenty of action, twists, and just the right amount of humor. And the story is told in brilliant black and white (though there is occasional color, which is also great) artwork, acheiving a high level of professionalism.

So go read it, and then read this interview:

- About the comic:

One thing that drew me to your comic immediately was your classic inking style - how do you ink your comics?

Endstone is drawn almost entirely digitally. Sometimes I'll break out an ink brush and bristol board for a cover but that's rare.

I was very surprised to learn that you were inking digitally, because your brush work has so much variation and life to it. What advice do you have for those who want to ink digitally?

I learned to ink with a brush first, but I don't know if that's really necessary. What matters is learning line variation and tone values. Every day as a warm up I used to copy an entire panel from one of my favorite artists like John Buscema on “Savage Sword of Conan” or David Mazzuccelli on “Batman Year One.” I just payed attention to how spotted blacks and line variation created depth within the panel borders. And one important thing I learned from the great Wally Wood: “When in doubt, black it out.”

What tools do you use (ie. software, tablets, custom brushes)?

I use Manga Studio Pro and a Wacom Cintiq.

About how long does it take you to complete a page?

Too long! Anywhere from 8 to 14 hours depending on how many panels, backgrounds, and figures are required.

What does the future of Endstone look like?

The story is serialized so hopefully I'll be doing this comic for a long time unless I get burned out. Right now I am genuinely curious to see what the characters do next. Sometimes they surprise me and this keeps me interested.

What is your main source of inspiration for Endstone?

It's hard to say. Like a venereal disease, I just have a burning desire to tell this story.

Your sense of anatomy is very professional. What resources do you use for reference when drawing your figures?

I use reference extensively. I use myself in the mirror or in a webcam photo. I keep tons of pictures of faces, kung fu poses, backgrounds, etc. on file. But I try not to be too much of a slave to reference. Sometimes for example I just need to see how much of the eye is visible behind the nose in a side view and then I can draw my own character from there. I also rely heavily on books by Jack Hamm, Andrew Loomis, and to some extent Burne Hogarth.

If I remember correctly, you have several issues available in print. Where can we get a hold of these?

Actually Endstone is not in print at this time. But I have plans to print it very soon. I'm thinking of going through Ka-Blam and I want to make them available on my website – endstone.net (which I just recently got up and running). I want to redo a scene before I go to print but haven't been able to fit this redo into my schedule. So that's what's holding me up.

You experimented with color on a few pages. While the color was very good, I think your skill in black and white art outpaces the need for color. Is there a reason you chose black and white as your medium? Any plans to color the whole book?

I chose black and white because I absolutely suck at color! I really have no concept of color theory and I've never even attempted painting. And I find Photoshop very frustrating to use. However, I can get my mind around black and white somewhat. I've toyed with coloring Endstone in flats like the old comic books, but every-time I start to do this I lose interest.

You are a very talented writer. Did you write the whole story ahead of time. Storyboards? Dialogue? Or do you just wing it over coffee and cigs?

Thanks, but I really hate writing and try to avoid it as much as possible. My method (if you can call it that) is I work from a very loose outline with sparse dialogue scribbled on the back of napkins, paper bags, stickies, etc. I try to find high points in the story. From there I storyboard and let the characters just do what they want as they move toward these high points. After the storyboards are complete I find the action beats for the page-breaks. The events at the page-breaks are like sign-posts. Once the page-breaks are set, I go back and tweak the action, panels, and dialogue in between these sign-posts. And that's how I end up with a page.

You won a much-deserved award for Best Fantasy comic in 2009 - has your comic or artwork ever won any other awards?

No. I've never won anything for my creative endeavors even going back to grade school. I'm such a loser.

- About the Author:

Where did you go to school?

California State University, Fullerton majoring in Television and Film. I also have a master's degree in history from California State University, Long Beach. I have no formal art background other than taking a beginning drawing class in college many years ago.

What is your “day job?”

I am a high school history teacher by trade.

Who are your favorite comic authors/artists?

John Buscema, David Mazuccelli, George Perez, and John Byrne. All of them artists from the 1970s and early 1980s when I was a kid.

Let's get this out of the way: Favorite movies, musicians, and tv shows?

I don't watch TV much at all anymore so I don't know any new shows. I only watch stuff on dvd that people recommend like “Lost” or “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” (both of which I really dig but missed them when they ran on TV). The movies I like are either small and quirky or big and full of action. I play guitar and music is really my first love. I like rock music. I'm a big fan of The Who and may include them as villains someday in Endstone.

Is there anything in particular that you find very challenging to draw?

Backgrounds. That's the next thing I want to improve in my art skillset.

When you're not “rocking” Endstone, do you have time to do any other artwork? If so, do you have a link to your portfolio you'd like to share?

Not really. I'm rather new to art actually. Even though I dabbled when I was younger, I took up drawing seriously in 2007 when I started a sketchblog (as Repo Man) over at PencilJack.com. On that site I worked through some super hero stuff and developed the Endstone characters but that's about it. And the stuff I was doing back then was simply awful! I actually taught myself to draw specifically as a means to tell the Endstone story. I hate writing but I like telling stories, therefore I was sort of forced out of necessity to become an artist in order to spin my yarns. So I don't have much of a portfolio or anything like that beyond my Endstone material and some misc. stuff over at PencilJack.com. Hopefully I can find some time in the future to pursue other art interests.

You have gained a lot of followers since the Endstone's release on Drunk Duck - do you have a “Biggest Fan” that you want to give a shout-out to?

I just want to give a shout-out to everyone who stops by to read Endstone. I really appreciate it. And furthermore, I appreciate those who take the time to comment on my little digital rag. I love getting comments and sometimes I feel I am paid in comments. It keeps me going so thanks!
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
amanda at 8:57AM, Nov. 30, 2009
(online)
Great interview, gents! I picked up both your comics at the same time and had to refer to you as “the End guys” because I kept mixing up your comic names. Shame on me. Tony, I'm shocked to learn you create Endstone digitally! *falls over* Plus, you just taught yourself to draw in 2007? Man, I'm jealous of your raw talent ^.^ Love your story, and it's nice to have this extra bit of depth behind your story. Yay!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:52AM
skoolmunkee at 5:11PM, Nov. 30, 2009
(offline)
Haha, I had to triple check when I posted these to make sure I wasn't making a mistake. too many ‘ends’ going on :]

I saw how he taught himself to draw just for this story… and he's much better than many other webcomic artists I know of. damn, sam.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
seanb47 at 12:56PM, Dec. 15, 2009
(online)
Awesome interview,Tony!It's cool to know a little more about your background and how you draw all digital and what program and methods you use.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon