Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Time difference
Litindir at 11:26AM, Oct. 14, 2007
(offline)
The best way to be found on this site, I believe, is to appear on the Recently Updated-list. But one doesn't stay there very long, so in order to get the most readers one have to be there when most people are online. My guess is that most people are online around seven to eight in the evening, and that most people on this site live in the USA. Seeing that it is six hours time difference between me and the States, that means I have to upload my comic at two in the morning!
Another way to be found is to be Featured, but that isn't very likely to happen. Especially as those who decide who is going to be Featured probably lives in the States, and thus never read my comic!
Am I completely wrong, or are anyone else experiencing this problem?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:35PM
Priest_Revan at 11:55AM, Oct. 14, 2007
(offline)
I live in the Mountain time zone, so when this site changes days, I have to usually do it at 10:00pm.

So yeah, if you don't update at the right time, you might not appear on the newly updated list (or your just going to be pushed down by other comics).
Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:48PM
Custard Trout at 12:30PM, Oct. 14, 2007
(offline)
I, and I assume, other Brits, had to update at six in the morning if I wanted to get on the list. Good thing I didn't really care when I did actually have stuff to update.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
Tantz_Aerine at 1:20PM, Oct. 14, 2007
(online)
I think it is not the time as much as it is the day one updates. Somehow Friday, Saturday and Sunday seem like good days to update. But if you want more coverage and people to get to know your comic, I'd advise to update in the middle of the week- because fewer people tend to, and so when going through the ‘just updated’ list people are more likely to click on your comic.

Just my two cents :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:07PM
Rutger at 2:14PM, Oct. 14, 2007
(offline)
I always upload my comic the day before it goes live, so it updates automatically on DD-time, which puts it in the recently updated list at a pretty decent time.
I'm in the GMT + 6 time-zone, and I've noticed that around midnight to 4am my time there's a lot of traffic around here.

K.A.L.A.-dan! rutGAR desu!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:13PM
DAJB at 2:45PM, Oct. 14, 2007
(online)
Yes, it's definitely a problem, especially for new comics which otherwise can get missed all together.

But I imagine it's a two-edged sword. Uploading when most readers are online is good in the sense that you'll appear in the Most Recently Updated box, but presumably that's also the time when most comics are uploaded, so the time you'll spend there will be less.

I don't know the answer. I tend to upload in advance simply for the convenience, but I have often thought of delaying the updates for exactly the reason you've outlined.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
subcultured at 2:55PM, Oct. 14, 2007
(online)
Someone
The best way to be found on this site, I believe, is to appear on the Recently Updated-list.

actually the best way to get found is by networking (commenting on comics, be active in forums, fan art trade…etc)
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM
Bekefel at 2:56PM, Oct. 14, 2007
(offline)
subcultured
Someone
The best way to be found on this site, I believe, is to appear on the Recently Updated-list.

actually the best way to get found is by networking (commenting on comics, be active in forums, fan art trade…etc)

Yeah I never click on the recent list anymore.
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:18AM
Rutger at 3:25PM, Oct. 14, 2007
(offline)
Bekefel
subcultured
Someone

Yeah I never click on the recent list anymore.

I think I clicked on the Recent list once. And if I'm not mistaken it was to get to my own comic quickly. I agree with Sub, forums and commenting work like a charm.

marine at 3:51AM, Oct. 15, 2007
(offline)
subcultured
Someone

Or suck yourself in with the right people and generally not be an honest or real person. I've never really kissed anybodies ass and I'm a little too blunt and honest, but I'm still somewhat well respected in the community. I always do the comedy sthick that nobody likes me at all, but if that was the case why would I still be around?

I do hardly any promotion of penis outside Drunk Ducks forums and I'm doing alright.

For me, a couple things really make my comic stand out:

What I have to say in my authors comments. Sometimes I can write out gigantic blocks of text that contain some of whats going on with me or my thoughts on something. People hate my comics, but they love to read what I have to say. Its because I don't really care what I say that allows me to say anything. I could talk about how I watched Failure to Launch (a movie full of fail) and because of comments like that last one, my girlfriend put me to sleeping on the couch. I could talk about video games or martial arts stuff, maybe I might talk about a movie I saw that was crazy. For example: I saw a movie called Livewire. What a fucked up and crazy movie. Its got Pierce Brosnon as a bomb disposal expert or something along those lines. First scene I saw, a clone is at amusement park with a bomb strapped to him. Some how he defuses that bomb but still blows the clown to pieces. Then towards the end of the movie, he's inside a partially contructed house and starts making bombs mcguiver style. He takes a lightswitch, a staple gun, a pipe, and a screwdriver and he somehow makes an explosive. He's killing bad guys left and right, blood, guts, all the stuff you guys love and the girls secretly love. End of the movie has a really humerous scene. Hot chicks sitting in a car, and has a bomb in it. Don't worry, Pierce crawls up under her skirt to defuse this one. It was as if he was looking directly up into her dress giggling the whole time. I think the smug bastard even winked at the camera at the end. Go see Livewire, one of the best of the worst action movies. See what I did there? That was off the top of my head about a goofy movie I saw. I'll talk about bad publicity that penis gets or occasionally post a funny hate mail letter I get that criticizes something weird in penis or something I said. Like if I make a joke about teenage girls cutting themselves, in an internet comic that features cartoon cats being shit on among other things, I've suddenly ruined society and set the world back twenty years.

Some people love the comics. I put up a new one every day. I'm consistent as I can be in the artwork and writing. Different days I do different sub comics or story arcs, but I write in such a way that you could pick it up anywhere and get a laugh or two. A lot of the humor in penis is particularly sadistic and has a very tongue in cheek value to it. Some days I try to make the comic as unfunny as humanly possible. Other days I want really obvious poop jokes or have homosexual vampires throw a gay party. I like to take my stories and pages into places no one else would ever think of or conversly, I'll take a cliche or archtype and give it a spin that makes it stupid funny. Like the pothead snowman for example or the alien who uses different ray guns that look like various cartoon phallices. Its just bad joke after bad joke, weird puns, unnecessary alliteration, plots that come to a screeching halt just when they get interesting, extreme violance, gross out situations involving most every bodily fluid a person can make even morning eye crust, but more than all of that: its funny and different, while being unfunny and the same. Perfect example, on mondays I do a sub-comic called “The Video Game Boxer” a parody of web comics about video games. Do I ever mention that its a parody on the pages in question? No. If I did that, it'd ruin the bit. Its a boxer ranting about how he hates games that don't feature boxing. Thats pretty different from two guys on a couch talking about and playing video games. At the same time its so retarded a thing to do, I can't resist playing it up. I've considered trying to get video game fans unfamiliar with penis to start reading it for their video game journalism, now that would be funny, which brings me to point three:

Often penis is the most funny because of the way people react to it. A lot of people don't like penis. Its jealousy, envy, and some people just don't like it at all. They don't get it. Its not funny to them. They've never played a video game, they don't think its funny to make fun of fat girls, they think its nothing but: shock value jokes, racist, sexist, homophobic, retarded, completely scatlogical, drawn poorly, written poorly, or anything else. If people don't want to read it, thats fine by me. You don't have to. A lot of people try it once and don't get it. Its such a sensory overload they can't get it. At a glance, it is nothing but a string of stupid jokes. You gotta look a little closer, read a few pages, figure out whose who and whats what to really love it. A lot of people check it for five seconds, read that days page, and bail. Thats fine. So long as you're reading it, thats all I want. You can hate it up one side of the internet and down the other. I get a lot of negative feedback, but I get a lot more positive. Its often consistently positive too. Be it comments or e-mails or private quacks, people really love what I do for whatever reason. Some have a favorite character they want to see, some love it all, some just like it when I do a particular topic like superheroes or video games, others like the artwork and how I designed everything all goofy. Its a lot of things to a lot of people. To me its something to do. Its something I'm passionate about, and that above all else is the reason people will read a comic. If they can feel your passion and emotion come through the stupidest of fart jokes, that is a feeling that is incomparable.

Oh yeah, I'm in the eastern time zone. Often I put up the next days comic around 9-10 the night before, so its there when the system rolls over at 1 AM. Some days I post it on the day of a few hours later if I'm busy with something or can't get on the computer at that time. I've not missed an update that wasn't mentioned far in advance or because of me being horribly sick (which happened to me twice in six years of doing web comics) and just can't hold my head up. I'd still put something up if I'm near a computer. I've a bet going now that if I miss one update, expect 50 of my backlog of one-pagers to show up. Thats 50 six panel comics that have some really good material that I'm saving and some really stupid jokes that I didn't use for whatever reason. I'm always working on my comics wherever I go. I take it as seriously as you can take working on this stuff. I'm professional as I can be with my comics, I be courteous to people in e-mails or private communications, and I always try and re-invent things and do different stuff. Someone told me that everyone expects gross out jokes from penis and heavy profanity. I've been on a profanity ban for the past two months and theres been hardly any gross out humor. Although its still there because I still find stuff that your not supposed to think is funny, as being hilarious.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
Rutger at 8:50AM, Oct. 15, 2007
(offline)
Holy shit dude.

Custard Trout at 10:25AM, Oct. 15, 2007
(offline)
marine
On and on and on and on

Did anybody actually read that? Be honest.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
carly_mizzou at 10:29AM, Oct. 15, 2007
(online)
I can say I did not. Well I did a bit and I LOL'd when Marine said his girlfriend made him sleep on the couch!

I do click on a lot of the Recently Updated stuff, and I'm online at ALL hours. the best way to build traffic is to network. People here are nice any usually willing to work out fair trades. Also going outside of the site and promoting your comic works wonders. As large as Drunk Duck seems there are a lot of people out there that don't know about it. When you bring new people in, they usually stay loyal to you.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
Rutger at 12:22PM, Oct. 15, 2007
(offline)
Agreed. I've noticed that if you take time to read other comics and commenting on them, people will return the favour. I try to keep up with a bunch of comics, some of them because they were nice enough to pay mine a visit and compliment it.

Basically it's kinda ‘you scratch my back I scratch yours’. If you get a decent following, time difference doesn't really matter, ‘cuz they’ll keep up with your comic when they're on-line.

usedbooks at 12:31PM, Oct. 15, 2007
(online)
I don't click on the “recently updated” list. A title and genre are not enough for me to want to look at something. If I want to see recently updated stuff, I'll take the extra few seconds and do a search for things that updated “today.” Then I can at least have a rating (very important unless you don't mind being unexpectedly bombarded with hardcore “action” ) and thumbnail too.

That said, you do get a few more hits by appearing on the front page but rarely gain regular readers. All they have is a title, so your comic is not necessarily something that would interest the people clicking on it. You're more likely to find regular readers by getting your link (especially banners/buttons) out there in places that have interest in your type of story or artwork, and by networking with people.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
Poke Alster at 2:38AM, Oct. 19, 2007
(offline)
Ye i do the same and type in my genre what i want
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
Rutger at 10:35AM, Oct. 19, 2007
(offline)
I've realized that I hardly ever go to the frontpage of DD. My homepage is the ‘My Control’ section, and from there I go to other comics/forums.

Usually when I start reading a new comic it's because someone commented on mine, or I read about it in the forums.

Sidwarrious at 2:17PM, Oct. 21, 2007
(online)
I can't read all that, I'll jes say we all want more exposure so tough titty lol.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:35PM
spacehamster at 3:47PM, Oct. 21, 2007
(online)
I never look at the recently updated list, I snoop around in genres I like and I read comics by people who post here or comment on my stuff. Given that Bulletproof has been doing reasonably well in the few months that it's been here, I also don't think it really matters how long you're on that list. I always update in advance, so Bulletproof probably NEVER shows up there because midnight is when a zillion other comics update for the same reason. *shrug*
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
Rutger at 3:55PM, Oct. 21, 2007
(offline)
spacehamster
I never look at the recently updated list, I snoop around in genres I like and I read comics by people who post here or comment on my stuff. Given that Bulletproof has been doing reasonably well in the few months that it's been here, I also don't think it really matters how long you're on that list. I always update in advance, so Bulletproof probably NEVER shows up there because midnight is when a zillion other comics update for the same reason. *shrug*

I do the auto-update too, but my comic's still on the list when I check the next day… Of course, I'm in a completely different timezome, I think it updates around 7am my time…

Sidwarrious at 4:43PM, Oct. 21, 2007
(online)
I don't update like that lol, as soon as a new page gets done.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:35PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon