Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Todd Goldman stealing from Purple Pussy?
Rich at 7:28AM, April 11, 2007
(online)
Oh yes I seriously hope this guy has some sort of webcommunity or something for the internets to attack. I may not participate in such actions anymore, but I'd seriously make an exception for a thief, as would most other people.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:07PM
SpANG at 8:07AM, April 11, 2007
(online)

I created this. I expect all the royalties.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
SDJoyce at 8:23AM, April 11, 2007
(offline)
It is pretty sad that people have to deal with this. One way to help yourself out is to do a cheap copy right for yourself. This is a method that music artists have used for a while and I think web artist should use it from time to time. When you create something that is uniquely your's either print it out or use the original artwork and mail it to yourself. Once the package gets to you just put it somewhere safe. The fact that it has a post mark on it and date is proof of when it was made. If you find someone useing your work for profit, take them to court and as part of the evidence you can used you unopened piece of mail. The judge opens it and you win, of course now you have to worry about what happens the next time. It's just a cheap way to get your own proof of when you made something. People are always going to steal other's ideas, that's just part of the bad in society. The main thing is to try and report it if you see it and let the original creator do something about it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
SpANG at 8:32AM, April 11, 2007
(online)
SDJoyce
It is pretty sad that people have to deal with this. One way to help yourself out is to do a cheap copy right for yourself. This is a method that music artists have used for a while and I think web artist should use it from time to time. When you create something that is uniquely your's either print it out or use the original artwork and mail it to yourself. Once the package gets to you just put it somewhere safe. The fact that it has a post mark on it and date is proof of when it was made. If you find someone useing your work for profit, take them to court and as part of the evidence you can used you unopened piece of mail. The judge opens it and you win, of course now you have to worry about what happens the next time. It's just a cheap way to get your own proof of when you made something. People are always going to steal other's ideas, that's just part of the bad in society. The main thing is to try and report it if you see it and let the original creator do something about it.
I hate to say it, but a ‘poor man’s copyright' can be easily faked. All the plagiarist would have to do is mail himself an empty envelope, and when he gets it back, wait to fill it.

I also don't think ‘poor man’s copyrights' hold up in court.

The United States Copyright Office
The practice of sending a copy of your own work to yourself is sometimes called a poor man's copyright. There is no provision in the copyright law regarding any such type of protection, and it is not a substitute for registration.
However, I think that computer files' modified dates can't be manually changed. Not sure about that though, you may be able to set your computer's clock back. Another suggestion would be to video tape yourself with the image holding a current USA today maybe? I suppose videos can be easily edited to.
rainingbells at 8:47AM, April 11, 2007
(offline)
SpANG
Not sure about that though, you may be able to set your computer's clock back. Another suggestion would be to video tape yourself with the image holding a current USA today maybe? I suppose videos can be easily edited to.

“Ah, so you went to the library and pulled an old paper from the stacks?”

Though, in the case of traditional art, you should be able to test the ink, paint, or paper to get an approximate date of creation. Digital work…not so sure about that one.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:00PM
SpANG at 9:23AM, April 11, 2007
(online)
rainingbells
Though, in the case of traditional art, you should be able to test the ink, paint, or paper to get an approximate date of creation…
I can see that course of action may be persued for something that made a LOT of money. But the forensic testing that you are talking about would cost a pretty penny. I'm pretty sure you'd be on your own paying for it, too.

I guess unless you decide to copyright your work, you have to hope for the best and hope that the internet buzzes like this to back you up.
Neilsama at 9:26AM, April 11, 2007
(offline)
subcultured
worse than rob lefield
HAHAHAHAHA!!!! I almost made that comparison myself. Yes, Rob has an affinity for publishing “homages” that are just barely above the classification of fan fics.

Looking through Rob's work, I think it's safe to say that Rob Liefeld has never traced.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:10PM
rainingbells at 9:43AM, April 11, 2007
(offline)
SpANG
I can see that that course of action may be persued for something that made a LOT of money. But the forensic testing that you are talking about would cost a pretty penny. I'm pretty sure you'd be on your own paying for it, too.

I guess unless you decide to copyright your work, you have to hope for the best and hope that the internet buzzes like this to back you up.

Agreed, on both points. Thankfully, given what I have seen over the years, when stuff like this does happen, people do step up to back you.

Unless you're a dismissive prick.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:00PM
kingofsnake at 10:04AM, April 11, 2007
(online)
Tycho blogged about this today
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
Rich at 11:54AM, April 11, 2007
(online)
I believe this article is relevant to all of your interests…
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:07PM
Custard Trout at 11:56AM, April 11, 2007
(offline)
I still don't understand how Goldman thought he could get away with this, it's bad enough he copied Dave Kelly's work, but tracing? Is the man completely insane? Or is he just one of those people who don't think work on the internet is ‘real’?
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
SpANG at 12:40PM, April 11, 2007
(online)
Custard Trout
I still don't understand how Goldman thought he could get away with this, it's bad enough he copied Dave Kelly's work, but tracing? Is the man completely insane? Or is he just one of those people who don't think work on the internet is ‘real’?
He probably just thought nobody would notice, or assume that HE made it first.

Edit/// Sure looks traced to me. Here's the two pics on top of each other.

Rich
I believe this article is relevant to all of your interests…
Wow! That's good info! But is it credible?
Ozoneocean at 1:34PM, April 11, 2007
(online)
You know the most tragically silly aspect of the whole thing? The fact that he even copied the shape of the speech bubble.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
Zac at 1:56PM, April 11, 2007
(online)
Rich: I remember reading something to that effect a while back. I think it's pretty credible.

I was at a restuarant outside Todd Goldman's gallery three weeks ago, and I totally saw stuff I thought was ripped off or unoriginal (such as a new painting of the old concept “Rock is Dead, long live paper ans scissor”). I proceeded to bitch about it to my grandfather, who didn't care at all.

His art sucks anyways.

My unintellectual post added nothing to this debate!
Has anyone made a “Dear God, I hope Todd Goldman Dies, Amen.” Picture yet?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:53PM
Black_Kitty at 2:01PM, April 11, 2007
(online)
Zac
My unintellectual post added nothing to this debate!
Has anyone made a “Dear God, I hope Todd Goldman Dies, Amen.” Picture yet?

Yup. Saw it in a Comixpedia response.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:24AM
carly_mizzou at 3:59PM, April 11, 2007
(online)
subcultured
worse than rob lefield

….*smirk*
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
Phantom Penguin at 4:38PM, April 11, 2007
(offline)
This is getting hella coverage. Penny Arcade did a article on it today. Hundreds of thousands of people read it. So i imagine this is going to get blown open soon.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
ccs1989 at 5:14PM, April 11, 2007
(online)
Soon the name “Todd Goldman” will be synonomous with “plagarism”.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
carly_mizzou at 5:24PM, April 11, 2007
(online)
Yeah even I did a “down with todd comic”
http://www.drunkduck.com/Creepy_Carly/

Have you seen the e-mails he's sending out to people who've complained about this? I don't know if it's real, but I saw some screen caps and his solution is to call smorkey a pedophile and then directs people to a link of an image directory full of furry drawings and some guy taking his pants off.

yeah guy… really classy there.
SpANG at 6:01PM, April 11, 2007
(online)
Heh. someone used my overlay image for the Wikipedia entry.

Edit// Nope, I'm wrong. Someone just had the same idea. It isn't exactly the same. ;)
Black_Kitty at 6:08PM, April 11, 2007
(online)
carly_mizzou
Have you seen the e-mails he's sending out to people who've complained about this? I don't know if it's real, but I saw some screen caps and his solution is to call smorkey a pedophile and then directs people to a link of an image directory full of furry drawings and some guy taking his pants off.

yeah guy… really classy there.

Yeah Fleen's doing a lot of coverage on this and argh.

Seriously. Who in their right mind would think that's a great idea? -_-
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:24AM
SpANG at 6:25PM, April 11, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
artisthazzard
This is not the first time D&G has done something like this!!!
He's done it before? o_O

check this out
FoxmanZEO at 10:07PM, April 11, 2007
(online)
Persona non grata.
'Who must do the hard things?

He who can.'

-Confucius.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:30PM
herio at 11:25PM, April 11, 2007
(online)
Are Idlers really our own? We can place copy writs on them and stuff but with some minds think a like and the nets a big place I donâ??t know if we go over bord here we all take idlers from places. But that a bit to much I think to take the whole pic.

Then again it cloud be pop art but I gesso it would need dots

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
Ozoneocean at 12:26AM, April 12, 2007
(online)
Herio is like Yoda, only better :)
Yep, we do get ideas from all over the place, but in this case, it's a little more than that. It's unfortunate really.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
ccs1989 at 1:19PM, April 12, 2007
(online)
herio
Are Idlers really our own? We can place copy writs on them and stuff but with some minds think a like and the nets a big place I donâ??t know if we go over bord here we all take idlers from places. But that a bit to much I think to take the whole pic.

Then again it cloud be pop art but I gesso it would need dots

Even if it was “Pop Art” you can't just steal ideas.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
Alexis at 1:21PM, April 12, 2007
(offline)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
I don't know if this is real, probably is, though.

POST POP-ARTIST, TODD GOLDMAN, CONTROVERSAL PAINTING

CLEARWATER, FL, April 11, 2007- Popular post pop-artist, Todd Goldman who has made a career of making fun of the world with his sarcastic commentary and cartoon icons, has mistakenly used the design of an another artist in two of his recent paintings. Todd’s painting, “Dear God, Please Make Everyone Die”, was inspired from a drawing he received unbeknownst to him belonging to an underground web comic artist David “Shmorky” Kelly.

In addition to painting, Todd designs t-shirts for his clothing company, David & Goliath. Todd and his design team create and receive thousands of design ideas every month. It’s no secret that Goldman creates a lot of his painting ideas from his t-shirt designs. Goldman says “I made a judgment error and didn’t research the background of this particular submission. “My intention was not to copy Mr. Kelly. I have never seen his work before and would never intentionally knock-off someone else’s idea.”

Goldman has issued a formal apology to Mr. Kelly and has stated that he will not be using his design again in the future. As a gesture of good faith, Goldman has pledged not profit from his mistake. He will instead donate his proceeds from the painting directly to Mr. Kelly or his charity of choice.

Dave Kelly, posting as “Shmorky” at Something Awful, has confirmed that this is authentic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
kingofsnake at 1:28PM, April 12, 2007
(online)
“oh shit! I got caught, and the fallout is way more than I expected! backpedal!”
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
subcultured at 1:31PM, April 12, 2007
(online)
lol
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
carly_mizzou at 2:28PM, April 12, 2007
(online)
I used to write Indicia for books and help file trade marks so I know a little about copyrighting and TM'ing things so I'll share, BUT i'm not claiming any kind of legal liability to this stuff, it's just my understanding of this all

Copyright - any time you put something out for public “consumption” it's automatically copyrighted. The mailing the envelope is like an urban legend. What you can do to protect yourself is to publish your work in places where dates can be documented (like on a server) and keep back up copies of this info for yourself

Indicia - that's the:
THIS BOOK VOLUME 1. Published by Somebody Studios, 111 Some Road, LA, CA, 90063.
Sombody Studios, My Title, My Snazzy Logo Name, and Other Logo Crap, and all contents TM & copyright (C) 2007 Sombody Studios, All Rights Reserved.

This is a basic format, BUT do research before you write this becuase if you claim a (R) and you don't have one, you could loose the opportunity to claim that later on.

Trade Marking
- Check out my comic pages. what do you see next to all of my logos/titles? That's right a little TM. SO what did I have to do to get that? Just put it on there. That's right, if you want to hold onto your titles/logos put a TM next to them. Before you can even file for a Trade Mark you must create a logo, put the TM on it then distribute it. It's called “Proof of Use” and is the first step in getting something trademarked. If you have this on your IP and someone uses it without your permission you can then pull the old “Hey I was in the process of TMing that, back off” and you're well within your legal rights.

Wow hope that helps and doesn't get me sued!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon