Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Virtual Pot Luck Dinner - What are YOU bringing?
SpANG at 9:34AM, March 20, 2007
(online)
Recipe thread. Something different. ;)

I'm bringing LAZY MAN'S PIEROGIES:

1 13 x 9 pan
1 box of lasagna noodles
2 Cups cheddar cheese
1 cup of mozzarella
1 Cup of parmesan cheese
4 cups of instant mashed potatoes
2 cups of water
1 cup of milk
1 large Onion
1 1/2 sticks of butter (margarine)

Dice (or slice) onions and fry in a pan. After they caramelize, add the stick of butter (margarine). Once butter is melted, take off the heat.

Combine 2 cups of water & 1 cup of milk to 4 cups of instant mashed potato. The mashed potato should be very runny (There is a reason for this. I'll explain later). If it's not runny, add more water and/or milk. Add salt/pepper/butter to taste.

Start your layers with the onion/butter mix. Then, put down 1 layer of lasagna noodles (UNCOOKED). Next, add a layer of mashed potato. Then, a layer of your cheeses (2 parts cheddar, 1 part mozzarella). Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.

Put more noodles down, then the butter/onion, then the potato, then the cheese. Repeat once more.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes, or until top is golden brown. Let this sit for at least 2 hours.

Oh, the mashed potatoes are runny because the noodles will soak up the extra water and soften.

It's even better heated up the next day!

What are you bringing to the pot luck dinner?

“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
reconjsh at 9:56AM, March 20, 2007
(online)
My Personally Created and Perfected Chili Recipe:

Brown:
3 lbs stew beef (beef, pork, and lamb) (cut into 3/4“ - 1” cubes)
COMPETITION: Replace with Tricut Sirlion

2 28oz can of crushed tomatoes (or equivalent fresh tomatoes if in season)
1 12oz can tomato paste
2 medium sized onion diced
1 green pepper diced
2 cloves garlic sauteed
OPTIONAL: 1 red pepper diced (adds no heat but adds nutritional value)
2 small jalapeno minced
1 small habenero minced
2 can/bottle ale beer
OPTIONAL FILLER: water
OPTIONAL FILLER: Dark/Light Kidney Beans
OPTIONAL FILLER: 1 12 oz can of whole kernal corn (drained)

* NOTE: Real chili doesn't have fillers :)

Spice to taste:
chili powder (homemade from secret recipe - store bought stuff works too)
onion powder
garlic powder
salt (light/none because of tortilla chips)
pepper
cummin
oregano
paprika
cayenne pepper (heat factor)
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
OPTIONAL: 3-5 dashes of hot sauce (adds some depth of flavor)
ground up tortilla chips (about 2 - 3 small hand fulls) - thickening agent

Brown Meat in batches in chili pot. Remove meat and add 1 beer to soak up meat remains. Add ingrediants and reintroduce meat. Drink 2nd beer. Spice to taste. Add water if necessary to fill pot.

For 1st time spicers… I'd start with the chili powder and spice it till the chili is a nice dark brown and you like the taste. Then spice with each new spice on the list until you like the taste, etc… All the spices on my list are traditional spices. Remember also, chili isn't “chili” without cummin. Cummin is super strong though, so go easy with it at first or you'll end up eating chili that tastes like an enchilada.

Simmer for awhile. ;)

Serve over sour cream, tortilla chips, shredded cheddar cheese, and with corn bread. Or, just eat it plain like I do.

If I have to feed alot of people, I'll use more fillers… if it's for just me or for a cook-off, no fillers and mince all ingredients so you can't see them in final chili.
Even better reheated the next day.

I've got alot more recipes, but I'll refrain until other people get a chance to post. I love to cook as much as I love to draw. ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
Jillers at 10:18AM, March 20, 2007
(offline)
I'll bring Spatini (family recipe)

Ingredients:
About 2 Onions (White or Red)
1 two 2 pounds favorite meat
Bay leaces (you may want 2 bottles)
Italian Seasoning
Whatever herbs you like
Parmesan Cheese (about 1/2 cup, more if you like)
Garlic (2 cloves should do, more if you really like garlic)
Bread Crumbs (about 1/2 - 1 cup)
Oil (for frying)
Toothpicks

Method:

Take meat (I use Parmesan and Garlic pre-seasoned Italian sausage, and take them out of the wrapping) and put in bowl, mix in herbs (not the bay leaves), cheese, garlic (crushed, and chopped finely, or garlic powder), and bread crumbs in a bowl, and mix by hand until it is squishy and like like dough - but, you know… wet and sticky.

Cut onion so that the peices are curved, and you have many.

Take the mixture, the onion, the toothpicks, and the bay leaves, and sit on a comfortable chair. Pop in a movie. Get comfy.

Take little peices of the mixture, and roll it into an oblong shaper, they should be about |———–| <–that long, and not too wide. Put the piece on a plate, and repeat until there's no more meat left.

When you're done with that, Take a piece of onion, put it on the toothpick, take a piece of meat, put it on, then a bay leaf, meat, then onion.

Repeat until you can't make anymore.

Take the Spatini, and go to the stove. Pour oil in a pan, roll each Spatini in some breadcrumbs, and fry until cooked. Doesn't take too long, since the meat is already raw, and not very thick. Maybe one or two minutes.

When you're finished, clean up, go to sleep, and be happy you made them the day before the potluck dinner, since it takes anywhere from 3 - 5 hours to make (only because it's a tedious process).

You can always enlist the help of a cousin, friend, sibling, partner, etc.. to cut down on prep time.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
WingNut at 10:22AM, March 20, 2007
(offline)
I shall bring- Chicken Tostadas!

Real easy one ‘ere, because the main fun of eating tostadas is assembling them yourself. The hardest step you’re going to have to do is fry the tortillas. Ingredients desired-
Can of Black Olives
Rotissarie Chicken (already cooked)
Corn or flour tortillas, I prefer flour.
Lettuce (romaine, not iceberg)
Salsa (whatever flavor you prefer)
Grated cheese
Refried beans, if you want.
Sour Cream
Diced tomatoes
Guacamole (my family has a rocking guac recipe)

All of these ingredients can be found premade and mostly in cans and such. So no preparation there!

To fry the tortilla, in a frying pan, (deep sides preferably) pour about a 1/4 inch of olive oil (always use olive oil for cooking, much better). Turn stove to medium high, and when you dip the corner of the tortilla in and it bubbles, then the oil is ready. Fry quickly, it doesn't take long AT ALL, turn, and then place on a plate with some paper towels to drain. Lightly salt the tortilla and you're good to go. Also feeds a good number of people (big family). The great thing about this one, is that its great for leftovers. Just put everything in the fridge, and you're good to go!

Now, the important part that is more artistic than anything. Assembling your tostada. First have all your ingredients ready to serve, and begin adding whatever you prefer. As an example, I shall tell you which ones work best for me. Fist, have your fried flour tortilla, add the chicken, cheese, salsa, tomatoes, lettuce, guac, and sour-cream. Huzzah! Er, I mean, Ole!

-W
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:50PM
Ozoneocean at 10:23AM, March 20, 2007
(online)
Sandy will be ALL over this. She's got some good recipes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
kingofsnake at 11:04AM, March 20, 2007
(online)
I ran a cookbook back on DA a while ago, got some great recipies. The problem with everything I cook is that I needs to be served immediately. We have a potluck at work once a month, and I can never think of what to bring just for that reason.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
skoolmunkee at 11:08AM, March 20, 2007
(offline)
Rosemary bread! (aka macaroni grill bread)

1 tsp dry yeast
1 tbsp sugar
1 c warm water
2 1/2 cup white flour
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 tbsp canola, peanut, or olive oil
nonstick cooking spray
2 tbsp butter, melted

Add yeast, sugar, and warm water in a bowl and mix up a bit. Allow the water to get bubbly.

Mix in the flour and salt. Add 1 tbsp rosemary. Knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic - I usually have to add more flour, almost 3 cups, but it varies.

Oil a bowl, put dough in, cover with towel. Let rise in a warm place (like on the top rack of an unused oven, with a pan of hot water on the lower tray) for 1 hour or until doubled.

Punch dough and divide in half. Rest dough 5-10 minutes. Spray pan or sheet with spray - use a flat pan if you want artisan-looking bread, bread pans if you want bready looking bread. Shape dough halves into ovals, or put in bread pans. Let rise until doubled, or about 45 minutes.

Melt butter, brush on top of loaves (carefully). Sprinkle on rest of rosemary and rough salt (like sea salt), press in lightly.

Bake 20-25 minutes at 450.

OK that isn't really a potluck dish.

Pullapart burrito beef

Rump roast (however much, usually a big 1" thick slab is enough for 2-3)
bbq sauce
spicy/hot sauce (sweet chili is good for a mild version)
beef boullion or cubes

Cut up the beef into chunklets, cut all the fatty bits out. Toss it all in a crock pot with a bit of hot water, and if you have any favorite spices. (I add basil just because I love basil that much.) The consistency shouldn't be too watery, but there should be enough liquid to pretty much cover all the meat. Cook on high for 8 hours. (The meat is done around 6, but super-tender by 8.) Get the beef out and shred it up with a couple of forks, it should fall apart. Spoon in some sauce with the shredded beef and you have yummy taco and burrito filling. :)

Chicken Enchiladas

12 tortillas
vegetable oil
1 can (4 oz) jalepeno peppers
1 small onion, finely chopped (if desired)
1/2 grated parmesan
2 tbsp. chicken broth
1 large egg
1 cup heavy cream
1 can (14 oz) tomatoes crushed (you can also use sieved or passata)
1 lb boneless cooked chicken, shredded (about 3 breasts)

1. Make the sauce: rinse the peppers under cold running water, pat dry, then chop thoroughly (if not pre-cut). Puree the peppers, onion, and tomatoes in a blender until smooth.
2. Heat the oil in a skillet, add the puree and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly for 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
3. Beat the egg with cream, and salt to taste.
4. Gradually stir the cream mixture into the cooked puree.
5. Return pan to low heat and cook stirring 1 minute. If the sauce is too thick, thin with chicken broth. Remove from heat, set aside.
6. Put shredded chicken in bowl and stir in 2-3 tbsp of sauce to moisten it. Set aside.
7. Add a bit of vegetable oil into a skillet (moderate heat) and cook tortillas on each side for a few seconds until they are browned. (I don't usually do this, I don't see much point.) Lift out with tongs and dip into the sauce.
8. Place sauce-coated tortilla in a shallow ovenproof dish (like a big glass brownie pan). Put a spoonful of the chicken mixture into the tortilla, then fold in half.
9. Cook, dip, and fill remaining tortillas in the same way, arranging neatly in the dish. Pour over the remaining sauce, dump parmesan cheese on top. Cook 350 for 20 min.

These are so delicious guys I'm telling you. Tortillas.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:39PM
reconjsh at 11:27AM, March 20, 2007
(online)
I assume that anyone sharing a recipe doesn't mind me printing it off and using it… and if it's good, adding it permenantly to my recipe box??

POTLUCK DESSERT: CANDY SUSHI !!

This is ALWAYS a big party hit. And it's very fast and easy to make.

Ingredients:
1 box - Rice Krispie Cereal
** see Rice Krispie box for exact ingredients for Rice Krispie Treats
1-2 sticks butter
a bag of marshmallows

1 box of 10 or so Fruit Rollups - cherry is my favorite for this
1 bag of Twizzler's Pull ‘n’ Peel (any flavor - cherry is my favorite for this)
** regular Twizzlers can be used, but I find they're too tough to chew.
Extra butter to coat hands.

Preperation:
1) Un-roll all the Fruit Rollups and set them near your work space for easy, quick access.
2) Cut Twizzer's Pull ‘n’ Peel into Rollup length peices. (usually in-half works fine)
3) Make 1 normal batch of Rice Krispie treats as per the box, but don't put into pan. You need it to be warm and gooey for the next steps so just leave it in the warm pan with the heat off.
4) SECRET: Cover hands liberally in butter so Krispie treat mix doesn't stick to hands.
5) Take 1 Rollup and lay it flat. Take enough Krispie mix to cover about 1/4 of Rollup (a small handful). Mix will be very sticky, but that's why you coated your hands in butter, lol.
6) Place Krispie mix on to Rollup and then place 2 pre-cut Twizzler lengths on to Krispie mix and work Twizzlers into middle of mix.
7) GENTLY roll the Rollup into a tube. You'll know you used the right amount of Krispie mix if the opposite ends of of the Rollup just barely overlap and the Twizzlers are exactly in the middle of tube. Set this tube aside to cool. This step takes some practice to master. Don't worry, screwing this up won't make it taste any worse. ;)
8) Repeat steps 3 thru 6 until you are out of building materials.
9) After the Krispie mix has hardened somewhat in the tubes (5 minutes is enough), take a serated knife (like a bread knife - must be a serated knife or you'll squash everything) and cut each tube into about 1/2“ to 1” peices. Discard ends… they'll look silly and very un-sushi like.

Each slice should look like your standard, kelp-wrapped, asian-buffet sushi.

10) Plate and serve and I guarentee people will want this recipe. Make sure you get your empty plate back after potluck is over. ;)

I estimate this to render about 50 little candy sushis. (5-6 sushis per "tube… 10 tubes in total)
SpANG at 12:36PM, March 20, 2007
(online)
I'm bringing another side dish!

'THE COLONEL'S' COLE SLAW (Taste's just like that chicken place!)

1 head of cabbage
1 medium-sized carrot
2 tablespoons minced onion
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice

Be sure cabbage and carrots are chopped up into very fine pieces, about the size of rice (food processor recommended).

Combine the sugar, salt, pepper, milk, mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar, and lemon juice in a large bowl and beat until smooth.

Add the cabbage, carrots, and onion, and mix well.

Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

Serves 10-12.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
Red Slayer at 1:34PM, March 20, 2007
(online)
Tuna
some sweet corn
tomato
Mayonnaise
Olive Oil

Mix everything and put it in some sliced bread.

Enjoy.
subcultured at 1:36PM, March 20, 2007
(online)
you guys are making me hungry and i just ate
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:01PM
Alexis at 4:00PM, March 20, 2007
(offline)
I'm Vegan. I'll bring something, but I have a feeling no one will eat it…
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
subcultured at 4:03PM, March 20, 2007
(online)
im omnivorous, so please do
:spin:
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:01PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon