Comic Talk and General Discussion *

What do americans think of the British?
countingstars at 12:08PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(offline)
Hello

I had an Idea to post this question on a couple of american based forums.
For one thing I'm really curious.
Another my steps-dads bussiness is tranfering to America in 3 years (its an international Art delivery thing, he gets alot of work out there)

So since i'll be 19, Chances are i'll be taken with him and my Mum and sister, away from England T___T

I'm worried because to put it bluntly I am so damn English, so i'm reserved and scarcastic and not in the slightest bit religous…
Will it be easy to make friends (or will people be like “go home!” and what not)

the folks are planning on getting a house in New Jersey (not sure why ^__^;;) if that makes any difference.

becky
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:46AM
usedbooks at 12:37PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(online)
Sounds like you must have some stereotypes about Americans you need to work through.

Because this insinuates that you think all Americans must be the opposite of this:
Someone
so i'm reserved and scarcastic and not in the slightest bit religous…

When in fact, most people I know my age are pretty much exactly this…

I know that's not what you asked, but it seems to me that your stereotypes of Americans could be a bigger hang-up than anyone's potential stereotype of you.

Personally, I've met only a few British people, including my sister's boyfriend, and I never actually made any assumptions about them except that the English English and the American English are considerably different languages, so we do have to translate back and forth with my sister's boyfriend. Like a “biscuit” is something entirely different – among a hundred other clashing vocabulary words.

Aside from that, I can't think of any real differences. But people will notice if you have an accent. They will likely think you are more sophisticated until you prove otherwise. ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 12:42PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(offline)
usedbooks
Sounds like you must have some stereotypes about Americans you need to work through.

Because this insinuates that you think all Americans must be the opposite of this:
Someone
so i'm reserved and scarcastic and not in the slightest bit religous…

When in fact, most people I know my age are pretty much exactly this…

Where the Hell do you live. Because over here it's pretty much dipshit arrogant cocky dependent on everyone else land.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
Cthulhu at 12:44PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(online)
I'm probably reading too much into little details, but it just seems to me that you yourself don't think too highly of Americans. Just don't be pompous, and there'll be no problems. It's not like anyone's going to chase you out of town screaming “GO HOME, BRIT” Actually, you'll probably have people liking you just because of your accent. It's stupid, but it's true.
countingstars
the folks are planning on getting a house in New Jersey
I am so, so sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 12:52PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(offline)
countingstars
the folks are planning on getting a house in New Jersey

Oh God, I missed this part. Well um… good luck I guess.
Ironscarf at 12:53PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(offline)
Goddamn limeys should stay home with their sexual perversions and stop looking down their chinless noses at the rest of us.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
crocty at 1:00PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(offline)
My future plan in life is to move to America (after purchasing bulletproof skin) as the internet has taught me that American girls will find you hawt if you so much as speak in their general direction.

I assume it's the other way around, too!

Although the afformentioned bullets will be an issue!
So many bullets D:
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:53AM
usedbooks at 1:01PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(online)
Atom Apple
Where the Hell do you live. Because over here it's pretty much dipshit arrogant cocky dependent on everyone else land.
I was living in Huntington, WV (it's a “big city” in WV, but nationwide, it equates to a very large town or a very small city). It's a college town, so I'm talking about college and graduate students. Most I knew were pretty much into minding their own business/reserved. And I knew a varied religious spectrum (my best friend was wiccan/celtic; I'm Christian but not church-going) but none were the preaching/pushy type, and in fact, most never spoke of religion at all, so I wouldn't know what their faith was, and it doesn't really matter.

But now I live with my parents in southern VA. I don't actually know anyone my age here, so I can't comment on that. Everyone loves my sister's boyfriend though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
countingstars at 1:05PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(offline)
Ironscarf
Goddamn limeys should stay home with their sexual perversions and stop looking down their chinless noses at the rest of us.

not helpful =___=
Skullbie at 1:06PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(online)
You'll definitely make friends, and the worst you'll probably have to put up with is them adopting a jokey british accent like the one in fable (Ch'ken chasuh? Why do dey call you ‘at name??) It’s not really mean, just british accents are fun to imitate, so don't take it too hard.

I think if you don't act too reserved or rudely sarcastic, you'll fit in just fine.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:48PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 1:09PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(offline)
Pretty much everyone's going to initially be all OMG A BRITISH PERSON THAT'S SO COOL DO YOU KNOW SIMON PEGG?
countingstars at 1:11PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(offline)
usedbooks
this is probably true, i've never been to america so all i know is stuff from movies ^^;
Ironscarf at 1:16PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(offline)
countingstars
not helpful =_____O

Indeed not and I'm more damn English than you are: you'll find Americans much preferable on the whole.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
skoolmunkee at 2:43PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(offline)
America and Britain aren't vastly different. There's some cultural and social things to adapt to, but it's not like the languages are different or one of them doesn't have TV or shopping malls. On the whole most Americans think much better of British people than the British think of Americans, because all the British movie and TV actors come across as smart and funny, and British films are ‘foreign’. You'll be fine, because of the accent people will think you're charming and will remember you and will want to ask you stuff like “so what is different abou XYZ in England?” and “hahaha you say lift!” which gets old after a while.

If you'll be 19, why will you have to go with them? Wouldn't you be in the middle of uni?
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
Chernobog at 3:07PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(offline)
You'll be fine. We like the British accent over here. Kind of charming.

As for NJ… no, run! Go the other way! You don't want to come to this cesspool! Take this as someone who's spent 30 years in this dump: flee while you can!

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
harkovast at 3:12PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(online)
Crotcy you got the thing about American girls loving the accent right.
Over there I was a babe magnet (as my American wife will attest!)
Trouble finding a girl? Get a yank girl! With the English accent it is like shooting sexy fish in a star spangled banner!

Counting stars (though soon to be counting stripes too I assume?)-
Americans seem alright by me, I married one as mentioned above!
Some of them are dicks, but some people over here are dicks.
Some people are dicks everywhere.
Americans will think your accent is amazing, and you get to feel like a minor celebrity every time you open your mouth. Mostly fun, occasionally tiresome or annoying.
Now I'm back here, I kinda miss the notoriety to be honest. I'm just another boring Joe-Shmow in England!
You might go over there and run into people who are horrible to you, but you might stay here and run into people that are just as bad!
You are going to New Jersey, that is a pretty liberal area. I was in freaking Utah! Conservative capital of the free world! They put plastic boards over the covers of Cosmopolitan because they thought it was too risque around there! But I still got on alright!
Also, in defence of Americans, I always assumed from American TV shows and movies that Americans are incredibly uptight and defensive when it comes to any mocking or criticism of America. I was pleased to find this not to be the case at all, and I would often amuse people at work there with joking statements about my hatred for America. They laughed, so they cant be that bad!

Skoolmunkee- What is a TV? We only receive information via town crier around here (by order of the King…by which I mean Elvis.)

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:44PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 3:31PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(offline)
I want to go to England in cowboy clothes. I assume it works both ways right?
harkovast at 3:48PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(online)
Atom Apple, you don't need the cowboy clothes, everyone will be impressed with you “movie star like” American accent.
It works both ways, everyone loves a cool accent!
(American girls sound sexy. FACT.)

patrickdevine at 4:17PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(online)
harkovast

Really? I thought American accents got you laughed out of the room in England. Or is that just the dudes?

It's true though, everyone loves English accents in the States, it doesn't especially matter which part of England you happen to be from. From the English people I've met here you can expect people to ask you to say certain words that we either don't use or that we just think sound better when English people say them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
Disgruntledrm at 8:11PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(online)
As an American girl, I'll vouch for the fact that we find British accents sexy.

At any rate, most of us aren't racist jerks over here with a strong resentment for foreigners. So you should be okay.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:12PM
Ozoneocean at 8:26PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(online)
I thought Americans thought of British men as effete and gay sounding….
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
Cthulhu at 9:26PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
I thought Americans thought of British men as effete and gay sounding….
No, but we do think all Australians are Steve Irwin in disguise.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
Lonnehart at 10:02PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(online)
I think most British are pretty likeable. That is… ‘til they drink too much. Then they’re just as bad as drunken americans or australians. The wierd things I keep running into on the job… -_-
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
AQua_ng at 11:30PM, Nov. 29, 2009
(offline)
Doesn't matter what country you're in, nobody likes a dickhead.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:59AM
countingstars at 12:00AM, Nov. 30, 2009
(offline)
harkovast
Counting stars (though soon to be counting stripes too I assume?)-
Americans seem alright by me, I married one as mentioned above!
Some of them are dicks, but some people over here are dicks.
Some people are dicks everywhere.
Americans will think your accent is amazing, and you get to feel like a minor celebrity every time you open your mouth. Mostly fun, occasionally tiresome or annoying.
Now I'm back here, I kinda miss the notoriety to be honest. I'm just another boring Joe-Shmow in England!
You might go over there and run into people who are horrible to you, but you might stay here and run into people that are just as bad!
You are going to New Jersey, that is a pretty liberal area. I was in freaking Utah! Conservative capital of the free world! They put plastic boards over the covers of Cosmopolitan because they thought it was too risque around there! But I still got on alright!
Also, in defence of Americans, I always assumed from American TV shows and movies that Americans are incredibly uptight and defensive when it comes to any mocking or criticism of America. I was pleased to find this not to be the case at all, and I would often amuse people at work there with joking statements about my hatred for America. They laughed, so they cant be that bad!

Skoolmunkee- What is a TV? We only receive information via town crier around here (by order of the King…by which I mean Elvis.)

This was really helpful thanks :) since you've kinda gone threw what i will be in a few years ^^ i'll take what you've said into account
countingstars at 12:01AM, Nov. 30, 2009
(offline)
AQua_ng
Doesn't matter what country you're in, nobody likes a dickhead.

fair point good job i'm not a dickhead then :3
crocty at 7:29AM, Nov. 30, 2009
(offline)
patrickdevine
Really? I thought American accents got you laughed out of the room in England. Or is that just the dudes?
Most of them do…
The ones I hear on the news from America are simply abysmal. But of course that's just the hillbillies and rednecks, so I figure that the other 2% of the American population should be okay!
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:53AM
Hakoshen at 1:00PM, Nov. 30, 2009
(offline)
harkovast
It works both ways, everyone loves a cool accent!

When I was a junior in college there was this French girl in one of my classes. She was only moderately cute at best, but as soon as she opened her mouth everyone (women included) wanted to nail her. I was immediately deemed a friend (damn you world of warcraft!), and so the opportunity never arose.

Once when I was working at Gamestop an Irish fellow came in. Everyone woman in the room got moist as soon as he started talking (and I don't remember why there were so many) and watched him with this dreamy look in their eyes. Including my supervisor at the time who took over his transaction the second I went to go look for the game he wanted.

I remember reading a study that was conducted asking what Americans thought about people from other nations and what people from those other nations thought of us. While it was largely mutual, Americans seem to hold people in Allied nations to a higher regard than they do of us.

My point? If you're from any part of western Europe we will love you, no questions asked. Unless you're in the deep south or the boonies, because they hate everyone who isn't like them.

crocty
The ones I hear on the news from America are simply abysmal. But of course that's just the hillbillies and rednecks, so I figure that the other 2% of the American population should be okay!

Since I have a fairly neutral accent but one that's clearly American and I don't talk like one of them thar hillfolk you done mentioned, do you think I could pick up chicks in England?
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:41PM
harkovast at 3:59PM, Nov. 30, 2009
(online)
Here is a top tip for dealing with foriengers that have arrived in your country-

1) Don't ask them to say something you find amusing. They will get this a lot, and while its funny the first time its get old very fast. Also it implies you aren't really interested in them as a person and just want to hear them say phrases you find cute.

2) Don't attempt to imitate their accent. You have no idea how unfunny that is!

With regard to American girls sounding sexy, I can only speak for myself but that has always been my experience. As I mentioned, the only Americans were normally hear over here are glamorous celebrities and movie stars, so that is always a good association.

amanda at 4:43PM, Nov. 30, 2009
(online)
I don't think I can say anything new here, but I definitely echo that people will auto-assume you are classy and sophisticated simply because of your accent. You'll find that there are stereotypes in place based on nationality that people will apply to you - and that you'll apply to them ^.^ But I personally find that one of the best things about stereotypes is destroying them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:52AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon