Comic Talk and General Discussion *

What should I expect after having knee surgery?
sandy at 7:20PM, Aug. 6, 2006
(online)
A while ago I saw a doctor for a very painful knee condition that was not letting up no matter what I did. Finally now, it gets to the point where I can not go without taking naproxen five hundred mgs, twice a day. I know what this means, it means that my condition is now an operative case. I've gone through the therapy with some but not full results.

Oh yeah, what I was diagnosed with. It's known as Plica syndrome, which is common among athletes. It's extra tissue that develops around the joint and causes the joint to rub, thus very painful spasms. At one point it felt like a knife was going right through my knee. And it actually brought me to tears, which never happens because I broke my left ankle a long time ago and I hardly wimpered one bit with that. Anyhow, the doctor said it would be an athroscopic proceedure and that I'd be able to walk right after surgery. Basically all that needs to be done is having the extra tissue removed from my joint. So has anyone else gone through this type of surgery? I just wanna know what to expect afterwards.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
SpANG at 7:38PM, Aug. 6, 2006
(online)
Wow. It sounds like medicine has advanced pretty well in about 10 years. My brother had that surgery, but was laid up for weeks, even had a mechanical device he needed to do extensions on. He always said it never really got 100%, but the surgery was a big improvement.

Bottom line: couldn't be any worse than what you have now. Hope you feel better soon.

.: SpANG! :.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM
MagickLorelai at 9:38PM, Aug. 6, 2006
(offline)
My sympathies, and I hope that everything turns out for the better. Surgery isn't actually all that bad- maybe painful for a few days, but eventually you heal. Things can't get worse for your knee than not being able to handle the pain on a daily basis.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
Comicmasta at 4:55AM, Aug. 7, 2006
(offline)
i had surgery 2 days ago to get my Appendix out and heres what they do, they give you hospital drugs to numb the pain after the surgery and during the surgery. When the doctor asks are you feeling nervous say yes, he'll give you a strong drug. I hope i didnt get addicted .
i have been brought back….The Boanitia..grrrrr…..Must find Super Jesus!!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:43AM
chezz at 5:46AM, Aug. 7, 2006
(offline)
nope sorry dont know much about that but hope you get well soon….. although I know after most surgeries the doctor always give you lots of drugs to help stop the pain from the surgery for some time about weeks or even 1 to 2 months? not sure….
check out my new comic at http://www.drunkduck.com/Damned_Zan/
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
Comicmasta at 5:52AM, Aug. 7, 2006
(offline)
chezz
nope sorry dont know much about that but hope you get well soon….. although I know after most surgeries the doctor always give you lots of drugs to help stop the pain from the surgery for some time about weeks or even 1 to 2 months? not sure….
It depends which drug it is…
i have been brought back….The Boanitia..grrrrr…..Must find Super Jesus!!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:43AM
Aussie_kid at 7:25PM, Aug. 7, 2006
(online)
I had tumours taken out of both arms when I was young. Trainee doctor fucked up and I spent a year in pain. Also, my muscles are pretty weak now. Sounds the same. Any way, don't get scared off by my experiences. My whole family has had a suspicious lump somewhere and they got out fine. All I really remember is how high I got off the drugs they gave me when I got out. I think I actually giggled once when the nurse put my TV on to ‘Dharma and Greg’.

In any case, you sound like you need it badly, so just go for it. Worst thing that can happen is you lose use of your leg, but doctor's are pretty careful today. Just make sure you don't get a trainee to do the operation.
Insanity Complex: We may not be insane, but we like to think we are
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:11AM
sandy at 8:21PM, Aug. 7, 2006
(online)
Thanks guys, This does help out a lot. And don't worry, I have a professional orthopedic surgeon working on me this time. I'll definitely have it done and Spang thanks for the well wish, I hope to be on my feet in a short amount of time. The doctor said I could start walking on it right after surgery, but that may depend if I need a second proceedure on top of the removal of that tissue. He also mentioned a lateral release, which means putting the knee cap back in the proper allignment. That he said could take longer to recover from. Oh well, I'm doing this in September so I'll be happy I had fun during the summer to make up for it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon