Comic Talk and General Discussion *

When did you first lose faith in humanity?
therealtj at 3:59PM, Aug. 19, 2010
(online)
Or, if you still have faith in humanity, why?

I think the first time for me was in an English class. We were going to watch a movie that went with our most recent reading: “The Birds.” We were going to watch a Hitchcock classic instead of doing class work. Win-win, right?

Well, come the day we were supposed to watch the film our usual teacher was out sick, so we had a sub (who was only given loose instructions as to what to do.) The movie was started up and came to Hitchcock's forward. His forward is a really clever look at why the birds may want to rebel on us that is absolutely hilarious. Thirty seconds into the forward everyone but me was telling the sub to skip it. AND SHE DID JUST THAT.

Oh, but it gets worse. Seeing as how the teacher had multiple classes, all of whom were watching the same movie, the next day she was trying to remember where we left off. After coming to the part we had stopped at, several members of the classroom said that we had made it past this section. I tried to point out that this was where we left off, but got angry glares and was hushed. So basically, they wanted to try and skip through parts of a cinematic masterpiece. It was all downhill from there.

“The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush, but unfortunately there are times when it is unavoidable.”
-Douglas Adams, The Restaurant At the End of the Universe
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
lefarce at 5:14PM, Aug. 19, 2010
(online)

The Birds was a really overrated movie and by far not one of hithcock's best, sorry.

I lost my faith in humanity when I moved to Utah and realized that this entire state is a bunch of brainwashed mormon zombies. Somebody get me out of here.

EDIT: the birds, not crows, hurf

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 6:29PM, Aug. 19, 2010
(offline)
When there was light.

Everytime my brother talks I lose all the hope I've gained too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:54PM
Chernobog at 6:42PM, Aug. 19, 2010
(offline)
When I realized much of the civilized world wasn't really any different from what I saw in high school. So many people just arrest their own sense of development there.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
mechanical_lullaby at 7:40PM, Aug. 19, 2010
(online)

I still have faith in humanity! Because of this song!

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM
alwinbot at 8:56PM, Aug. 19, 2010
(offline)
mechanical_lullaby
I still have faith in humanity! Because of this song!
Man, this guy is great. I like your taste in music.

I never lost my faith in humanity. I'm pretty sure that as bigoted and fucked up as we are right now, it's not as bad as it was 50 years ago.
Read this comic. It is the greatest journal comic ever written and drawn. Trust me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:50AM
Byth1 at 9:13PM, Aug. 19, 2010
(online)
Half of my faith in humanity was lost watching The Last Airbender movie.
Updated every friday!
Updated every monday!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:35AM
Freegurt at 10:35PM, Aug. 19, 2010
(online)
lefarce
…I lost my faith in humanity when I moved to Utah and realized that this entire state is a bunch of brainwashed mormon zombies. Somebody get me out of here…

Excuse me, but I live in Utah too and I've got a few Mormon friends, and they're some of the nicest people I've met (and most certainly not brainwashed). I hope you don't spew such close-minded views on a regular basis.

Anyway, I've lost my faith in humanity so many times it's hard to count. I believe the tipping point for me was when I was with my last job when one of my fellow employees told me that the job was basically a competition to see how long someone would work there before they got fired. I can tell you that I lost pretty bad.

Basically, the management was taking advantage of people's desperation and could just hire and fire anyone they wanted on the spot. There were so many teenagers who came in all happy with their applications, and all I wanted to do is just tell them to turn around and run.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
lefarce at 10:44PM, Aug. 19, 2010
(online)
Someone
Excuse me, but I live in Utah too and I've got a few Mormon friends, and they're some of the nicest people I've met (and most certainly not brainwashed). I hope you don't spew such close-minded views on a regular basis.

I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to faith but if you believe in the line of bullshit mormonism tries to sell you on you lack even a single ounce of common sense. You'd have to literally be reatarded to wear magic underwear and believe the factual and historical inaccuracies that they try to sell people on. I don't care now “nice” someone is, thats not and excuse for being a dumbass.

THIS is why I've lost faith in humanity. I've also lost my faith in medicine!

Also I'm not going to turn this into a debate about Mormons with you and hijack a thread, so feel free to attempt to get another rise out of me, but I'm not even going to bother pal.

*flies into the air and explodes into fireworks that spell “EAT IT”*

therealtj at 5:00AM, Aug. 20, 2010
(online)
lefarce
The Birds was a really overrated movie and by far not one of hithcock's best, sorry.
Even so, it was still a decent film (better then those low-production-value interpretations of short stories they showed the rest of the year by miles). I wouldn't take as much an issue if they actually had proper criticism of the movie. I am sure at least 98% of the class just wanted to skip it because it was old and had a lot of dialogue.

I assume this because, in the same class later in the year, we were given the option between watching the 1968 Romeo & Juliet movie or the terrible 1996 Romeo+Juliet. I wouldn't really call either a great interpretation of the Shakespeare play, but Romeo+Juliet may be another reason I lost faith in humanity.

Take a wild guess which my class chose to watch.

“The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush, but unfortunately there are times when it is unavoidable.”
demontales at 6:16AM, Aug. 20, 2010
(online)
Have I ever had faith in humanity? I don't know…
I have faith in some people, but humanity as a whole, we're kinda shitty.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
Ozoneocean at 8:06AM, Aug. 20, 2010
(online)
I think that moment was when hoodies became really popular… Not just sort of popular, but ubiquitous type popular.
That was a bad moment.

Or was it when wayfarer sunglasses came back in fashion? I've always disliked those, but wayfarers with coloured frames are satanic. -_-

Oh yes, that was a dark day for humanity. :(

On the bright side, I still have good taste so hopefully one day people will follow my example ^_^
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
Ironscarf at 9:56AM, Aug. 20, 2010
(offline)
My faith in humanity will never be shaken. You can always rely on people to be far worse than you ever thought possible. I'm talking humans as a species there of course - individuals will go against the grain by being outstanding, but put 'em all together and what have you got?

Guess again.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
Koshou at 4:58PM, Aug. 20, 2010
(offline)
My faith in humanity will never be completely gone because there will, thankfully, always be people with taste.

That said, it took a pretty big hit when someone decided that using autotune in songs would be a such a great idea. :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
shirkersama at 9:17PM, Aug. 20, 2010
(online)
I can't recall ever having hope for humanity.
But I guess the first time someone asked me “Who is Bob Dylan?” was the moment that it really sunk in.
Meh
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:34PM
same at 9:34PM, Aug. 20, 2010
(online)
Dont really give a shit. Its became popular to “loose faith in humanity”. I dont like people. Never have, never will.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:21PM
Dave7 at 9:59PM, Aug. 20, 2010
(online)
I never really had any hope for humanity in the first place (I've always been rather cynical), until I found out that an old friend of mine who converted to Islam some time ago has had a Jewish girlfriend for the past 6 years (since high school and throughout college, no less, which may as well amount to marriage in terms of college-length relationships). Just the fact that I personally know two people who've broken certain stereotypes the media's always portraying (i.e.- “Muslims and Jews don't get along,” etc.) kind of gives me hope for this species.

By the way, I'm sorry if that comment may have unintentionally come off as a bit racist, but you get the point I'm trying to make.
Post your concerns about the preview page! Support raw html! http://getsatisfaction.com/drunkduck/topics
]http://getsatisfaction.com/drunkduck/topics

“That is not dead can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons death may die.”
~H.P. Lovecraft

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
Ozoneocean at 10:03PM, Aug. 20, 2010
(online)
same
Dont really give a shit. Its became popular to “loose faith in humanity”. I dont like people. Never have, never will.
I love people. :)
Which is why I like this thread so much.

Very few of a us are serious about the faith stuff. ^^
blindsk at 1:36AM, Aug. 21, 2010
(online)
There's very few things in this world that really are that difficult to get over. At least that's how I see it.

Luckily, for those rare occasions, one can endure with a giant tub of mint chocolate chip ice cream. Seriously guys, check the label; it's one of its sole purposes for existence.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
BffSatan at 3:14AM, Aug. 21, 2010
(online)
You lost you entire faith in humanity because some teenagers didn't want to watch “The Birds”?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
crocty at 6:19AM, Aug. 21, 2010
(offline)
Ehh….I don't lose all my faith in humanity, but sometimes people do really stupid things and it really worries me…
Notable examples include when my school began reading….Ugh I hate myself for typing this…Harry Potter, and it became huge and popular, and I hated it completely.
But that just made me lose faith in all the people around me.
Then the internet came along and I found out how big that book is in America.

Durp forgot to make the big point. Well apart from me hating it, the thing that was the most worrying was going on Mylifeisaverage and reading daily stories of people saying
“Today I wore my snuggie backwards and yelled LUMOS and then I turned my lights on and I was like a wizard and I began to masturbate in front of a mirror (:”
Basically That book and that necro vampire book are in the same wavelength for me.
Thankfully, my mother has been reading my conversation history and has seen I hate both of them, and decided to begin loving them both. Fuck my life.

Oh but something that is also worrying is when you go on Transformice, and the people will call any shaman who makes a mistake a “noob shaman”, no matter how new they are.
I always imagine them when they're older to go to a political debate and call their opponent a noob president.
*shudder*…
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:54AM
therealtj at 8:19AM, Aug. 21, 2010
(online)
BffSatan
You lost you entire faith in humanity because some teenagers didn't want to watch “The Birds”?
So much else had added up to it, that was just the breaking point.

And it's more what it's symbolic of. The general lack of any culture in this generation. Sure it was just “The Birds,” but I doubt the results would have been any different had they shown “Citizen Kane” or “Casablanca.” That's why.

Ozoneocean at 8:56AM, Aug. 21, 2010
(online)
therealtj
And it's more what it's symbolic of. The general lack of any culture in this generation.
If finding out that most of your classmates are cultureless idiots was hard, wait until you find yourself in the workplace. -_-

I thought the Birds was a pretty clever film and he REALLY got me with that trick ending! Doh! >.<
What amused me most though was when I realised that the guy, the women and the mother who're all trapped in the house were dressed exquisitely in the fashions of the day… More so than usual for a film. What the guy is wearing at one stage is pretty bizarre really. Pay close attention to his outfits: It's the sort of stuff men really ONLY wore in pictures in clothing catalogues.
PIT_FACE at 9:13AM, Aug. 21, 2010
(online)
i havent lost faith in humanity because everytime a dickhead pops out from some where, there's ussually a decent person who shows up later on as well.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:45PM
Freegurt at 3:38PM, Aug. 21, 2010
(online)
lefarce
I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to faith but if you believe in the line of bullshit mormonism tries to sell you on you lack even a single ounce of common sense. You'd have to literally be to wear magic underwear and believe the factual and historical inaccuracies that they try to sell people on. I don't care now “nice” someone is, thats not and excuse for being a dumbass.

I can understand that you don't like what they believe in. But the fact that you call everyone ‘brainwashed’ and ‘retarded’ is just downright close-minded (and not to mention ableist, good job, bro).

Lefarce and anyone with the same mindset as him make me lose faith in humanity even more.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
Randal at 6:00PM, Aug. 21, 2010
(offline)
I don't know if I'll ever lose my faith in humanity. My grandpa used to say something that put it all into perspective for me. He used to say, “Ten percent of the worlds population holds 90 percent of the collective intelligence, and then there's ‘the great 90’…” (who get stuck spreading the remaining ten percent amongst themselves)

That's not necessarily a bad thing. The world still needs these people. Someones propensity to enjoy NASCAR and Pabst over Hitchcock and Heineken doesn't mean the world is not worth saving, it just means they are simpler people with simpler tastes. It's okay for people to prefer nacho cheese sauce from the gas station over an aged brie, just think of it from a “more for me” perspective.

Don't misconstrue their inability to understand the world the way you see it as a lack of worthiness. If the world didn't have any assholes, we'd all be full of shit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:01PM
lefarce at 2:42AM, Aug. 22, 2010
(online)
therealtj
lefarce
Even so, it was still a decent film (better then those low-production-value interpretations of short stories they showed the rest of the year by miles). I wouldn't take as much an issue if they actually had proper criticism of the movie. I am sure at least 98% of the class just wanted to skip it because it was old and had a lot of dialogue.

I assume this because, in the same class later in the year, we were given the option between watching the 1968 Romeo & Juliet movie or the terrible 1996 Romeo+Juliet. I wouldn't really call either a great interpretation of the Shakespeare play, but Romeo+Juliet may be another reason I lost faith in humanity.

Take a wild guess which my class chose to watch.

The Birds is still a great film, its just a shame that hitchcock's best work is often unheard of or generally ignored. When stacked to the library of stories he has crafted, Birds doesn't really reach the top of the list. Your class is still massively idiotic for wanting to skip over most of it though. As overrated as I might find it, the film is still very well put together and has held the test of time.

Romeo+Juliet is an unforgivable abomination that never should have existed. I expected better from everyone in that cast, but instead they turned that story into a complete farce. Lefarce. Whoa! Get it!? Its all coming together now…!

Niccea at 7:44AM, Aug. 22, 2010
(offline)
Well. I was a bit shaken this week. I'm moving in with the future in-laws who already have their own wireless router. However, no one in the house can remember the WEP code. My last computer was set up, but I got a new one several months ago and never bothered setting it up till now. I called my future brother-in-law and he gave me a list of possibles, but none of them worked, so his last advice was to find a manual for the router and figure out how to reset it. So, the other night I looked all over the internet. I found the manual for the router, but it only shows how to change the username and password (to log into the router and get to the WEP.) But, it doesn't show how to change or even set a WEP anywhere in the manual. It isn't enough for entire loss of faith. But it shouldn't be this freaken hard to figure out how to get my computer onto their internet. We are now deciding between resetting the router to factory settings and starting over or bringing my router and just plugging it in and not worrying about it.

Also…the help site specifically built for the router specializes in nonspecific one sentence answers. Like This So it made for a rough time of it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
ksteak at 9:14AM, Aug. 22, 2010
(offline)
It still baffles me that hollywood can spend so much money on most of the bullshit it produces rather than helping out some nations in Africa or something.
There's still good people out there though. Like with most things it's only the people with bad experiences that kick up a fuss.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM
marine at 11:08AM, Aug. 22, 2010
(offline)
When it comes to everything I've known to be true, it always comes up as being a lie. Something I was told to make me feel better or make the world seem less grim. Maybe that's why is suddenly seems so bleak? That all at once jolt of reality and what it entails when you're hit with it. This hit me in the fourth grade, a story I tell quite often and would once again like to entertain you with. If that's even the appropriate word.

For some reason, our teacher had to leave school in the afternoon. Perhaps her husband was ill or something like it. Doesn't necessarily matter, but for some reason, our teacher had left and my class was sent next door to the quote unquote “mean teacher.” For some reason I always was spoken to well with her. Maybe it was because I'm so foolish or brilliant, a lot of people still can't figure it out which is which. I argue that it can go either way, sometimes. When we got to her class, the subject was American history. I've long had a love and patriotism for America, we all do for the most part. Gun toting action heroes who come out with lines like “yippy kai-yay, motherfucker!” as they kill foreign terrorists, Spider-man in front an American Flag just before fighting the bad guys, and all our cowboy movies the Italians made are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to our sense of pride. And that's only in the movies. I could go on, but this is about real American history. That actually happened, just a few generations prior.

The subject was the Indians. When I was a kid, we still called them Indians. Now they're Native Americans, but I still refer to them as Indians out of unfocused habit. The Indians were subjugated to something known as the trail of tears. Anyone of you guys ever heard of that? I know, its taught in the fourth grade, but who cares to remember things like this? I'll enlighten you on the take I had of it, which is the same as now.

The trail of tears is when the Americans decided to take the land from the people who were living here, forcing them to walk distances I can't even fathom walking, and then upon reaching this destination, were forced to re-locate even farther. Two journeys across America, full of famine, disease, and death. Brought on by our founding four fathers, whom we were supposed to believe in as heroes and all around nice guys. Within moments of this being told to the class, which wasn't in the text book but coming from the teacher herself, I had questions. Lots of them. How could this have happened? Why would it happen? And how has no one apologized for it?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon