Networking & Community Projects*

Who wants their characters to have a cameo in a comic? YOU DO! YOU DO!
Blitzkrieg1701 at 4:06PM, Feb. 9, 2009
(online)
…well, you OUGHT TO, at least.

Anyway, my comic Far Out There (the link's in my sig) is starting a new story arc that will involve a LOT of crowds scenes and people walking through the action. Rather than bust my brain trying to come up with a slew of interesting faces for every single page, I thought I'd ask the brilliantly deranged minds of the Drunk Duck community for help AND offer them some free publicity in return!

All I ask is that you guys send me some character designs. They can be cast members from your comics, characters you don't have comics for yet, caricatures of YOURSELVES, or even random doodles you did during class today. Just give me some characters and I'll draw them into the upcoming pages. TAA DAA! Instant walk-on cameo!

“Yeah, but what's in it for ME?” you ask, menacingly. Well, that's where the free publicity comes in. Every time I insert any characters into a page, there will be a detailed list in the notes of who and where the characters are, who the creators are, and most importantly, links to any comics the characters normally appear in. That enough incentive for ya?

There are a few rules to keep things from getting too chaotic, and though they're already on Far Out There's official forum, I figure I might as well mention ‘em here too:

*NO STEALING OTHER PEOPLES CHARACTERS obviously. If you’ve got characters you created in collaboration with someone else, or you're submitting a friend's for some random reason, that's okay but MAKE SURE I KNOW WHO THE CREDIT GOES TO.

*I may regret this, but there is NO LIMIT to the number of characters one person can submit. If you want the whole cast of your comic to appear, no problem! However, no matter how many you send in, only ONE of your characters will appear per page (gotta milk this as long as possible, after all) and only get ONE APPEARANCE apiece.

*Far Out There is an all ages comic, so keep the submissions appropriate. Not only does that mean the character designs themselves, but also the comics they're from that I'd be linking to (But if your only comic happens to be adults only, you can STILL submit totally original characters)

*Not to snub all you writers out there, but I need to have a PICTURE of the character to work from, not a written description. Also, I need a full body depiction of the character to work with (group pics are okay if everyone's plainly visible, just make sure I know which character is which)

*Speaking of which, know that your picture is only as reference for when I draw the character. My photoshopping skills are nowhere near good enough to paste your drawing into a page. If you can't stand the though of your character appearing in my crappy art style (and I sympathize completely with that), you're better off just sitting this one out.

*Also, understand that this is a WALK ON, so please no notes on what the character should be doing. I'd do my best to avoid anyone obviously acting out of character, but no one will have any lines or anything.

*There is NO PRE-SET DEADLINE for submissions, since I have no idea how long this particular story will take OR how many characters I'll end up working with. However, WHEN THIS STORY ARC STOPS, SO DO THE CAMEOS. So, best to go ahead and get your stuff to me now!

Finally, this isn't really a rule, but e-mailing me anything is a VERY bad idea. I SUCK at checking my mail regularly, so you're better off getting in touch with me through forums or PQs or the like.

Well, that's all the information I can think of to pummel you with right now. I've already been given enough characters for the cameos to begin in roughly two weeks. When it ENDS is largely up to you!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
BlkKnight at 5:21PM, Feb. 9, 2009
(online)
Feel free to pick any of my Crossing Death characters.
That's “Dr. BlkKnight” to all of you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:26AM
HyenaHell at 9:13PM, Feb. 9, 2009
(online)
Aw, I wanna! But does “age appropriate” mean you're only accepting characters from E-rated comics?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
Blitzkrieg1701 at 12:37AM, Feb. 10, 2009
(online)
Eer, I wouldn't go so far as to forbid ANYTHING above E, but A and most M rated comics are a no go (and yes, I realize I just opened the door for all sorts of debate right there). Sadly, I just think it'd present a problem for a comic like Far Out There to directly link to one like The Hub as if they were on the same content level.

BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN THAT YOU CAN'T GET IN ON THE ACTION!!! You can still totally submit an original character not directly connected to any comic. Your trippy style is fantastic, and I'd love to work SOMETHING of yours in!
Senshuu at 5:12AM, Feb. 10, 2009
(offline)
Snag yourself a Millennium character!

I currently only have one picture that accurately depicts the main characters' new looks, but it's not a big issue, hehehe. (I need to do some design pics though…)
:D
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
Niccea at 5:39AM, Feb. 10, 2009
(offline)
As I said before. If you would like something a bit more random…take it from Mystery Bread. Exclamatory Man! would actually be interesting to see, but you would have to give credit to my co-author since she invented the character.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:12PM
HyenaHell at 9:07AM, Feb. 10, 2009
(online)
Blitzkrieg1701: Okay, that's pretty much what I figured. :) Just checking! If I wanted to send you a non-related OC, do you want the image embedded in a PQ? Posted here? Linky linked to a host?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
Blitzkrieg1701 at 8:23PM, Feb. 10, 2009
(online)
I'll gladly receive pictures whatever way most convenient for you. So far, the vast majority of images I've received are links, so if you wanna do it that way, that's fine.

MAN, so many excellent characters already. This is AWESOME! Thanks, guys!
confusedsoul at 8:32AM, Feb. 11, 2009
(offline)
http://www.drunkduck.com/Mildly_mundane/index.php?p=369674

I'd like to offer Max the Vampire Kleptomaniac and Placard Pete for your crowd scenes.

There's a full body shot of Max there (blonde hair), but the Pete reference will have to be the button link at the top (he's the black thing with no legs)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:44AM
Blitzkrieg1701 at 11:35AM, Feb. 11, 2009
(online)
Duly noted. Thanks!
Hakoshen at 9:47PM, Feb. 14, 2009
(offline)
http://drunkduck.com/two_weeks_notice

Feel free to use any of my characters, even though up to this point only six have appeared, and only three have had any real screen time.
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:40PM
Blitzkrieg1701 at 10:49AM, Feb. 16, 2009
(online)
I'd like to, but I'm afraid it kind of runs afoul of the M/A rating rule. SORRY! :(

As I've said earlier, thought, there's nothing stopping you from submitting a character design not directly connected to the comic!
amanda at 4:53PM, Feb. 16, 2009
(online)
Fun times!
It would be awesome if Cade made an appearance. He's the blond guy.

*Since the content matter is a bit of a concern, I feel the need to say they're not *normally* like this. However, if you can't use him, my feelings will be unhurt ^.^ I'm not up for the challenge of creating someone new, hehe.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:51AM
fukujinzuke at 6:06PM, Feb. 16, 2009
(online)
Sgt. Dirk Cohen from Omega Justice is available if needed.

If you need more you can also use the other two living members of the team. I'm pretty sure you won't have any use for the dead one.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:32PM
Blitzkrieg1701 at 12:05PM, Feb. 18, 2009
(online)
YAY! More participants! Thanks, guys!

@ Amanda: as long as your comic is rated T or below, it's in!

So, I'm working on rough drafts for the first pages that include cameos right now. They should start going online next week, if I've got it figured out right (and I don't spontaniously throw in some extra page, as I've been known to do in the past)

I know I've alreay said “thanks, you guys” multiple times, but I really things some more profound thanks are in order at this point. See, if you've actually read the last week or so of comics, you've seen that the upcomming story will take place in a Mad Scientist Convention. All the cameos you've submitted will be people wandering around in the background of said convention. Now, the interesting thing is: very FEW of these characters are even remotely SciFi related, meaning that I've got to draw the rest of these pages in a way that an elf or a guy in armor can walk around in a space-age location and not look out of place. I'M NOT COMPLAINING ONE BIT. This little publicity stunt is stretching my artistic abilities in ways I never expected, and it's REALLY awesome. So… thanks, you guys!
dueeast at 1:25PM, Feb. 18, 2009
(offline)
Feel free to have any of the main Due East characters appear, as well as Lindsay. B)

Due East is a “T” comic, no worries.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM
fukujinzuke at 3:45PM, Feb. 18, 2009
(online)
I am suddenly proud to have sci-fi related characters. Huzzah!
Feel free to put any characters of mine that you choose to use in any pose/situation/action except boy-love like things. Fuku doesn't do boy-love.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:32PM
Blitzkrieg1701 at 9:23PM, Feb. 18, 2009
(online)
You have absolutely NOTHING to fear from me…
Niccea at 8:46AM, Feb. 19, 2009
(offline)
Blitzkrieg1701
meaning that I've got to draw the rest of these pages in a way that an elf or a guy in armor can walk around in a space-age location and not look out of place.

They made a wrong turn at Venus. They were trying to get to the D&D con.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:12PM
Blitzkrieg1701 at 7:22PM, Feb. 20, 2009
(online)
Hehehehe, they're probably visiting from PLANET D&D :)
JustNoPoint at 10:24AM, Feb. 22, 2009
(online)
How can I resist cameo opportunities? XD

If you can, please use Fenny and/or Sally =D

http://www.drunkduck.com/Devon_Legacy_Bios/
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
Blitzkrieg1701 at 9:48PM, Feb. 22, 2009
(online)
It shall be done, thanks!
Eddie Jensen at 8:58AM, Feb. 23, 2009
(online)
feel free to use any of these but if there are only a few spots left I'd preffer you favor somebody else

if I was a teapot I think I'd be orange.

http://t-k-.deviantart.com/
Blitzkrieg1701 at 10:54PM, Feb. 23, 2009
(online)
Dude, there's still PLENTY of room for more faces. Besides, these are all awesome!

Can we get some names for these characters, though? (Am I correct in assuming that they're all DragonSlayer characters) Just wanna make sure I get the credits right.

Eddie Jensen at 5:09AM, Feb. 24, 2009
(online)
Well one doesnt have a name she's just an indian girl she doesnt really speak the language they speak so nobody knows her name

then theres Brett Bowen and Turtle

and ofcourse

Brianna Beetch AKA Princess Beetch.

and yes they are all dragonslayer characters. in the their in the comic sense their not all dragonslayers only Turtle and Brett are.
if I was a teapot I think I'd be orange.

http://t-k-.deviantart.com/
ronin356 at 9:15PM, Feb. 24, 2009
(offline)
You can put Magenta the Witchgirl in there. I just started the strip.:)
Devaint Art:http://ronin356.deviantart.com/
Andys Nirvana store: http://www.cafepress.com/Andys_Nirvana
Check out my comic: Magenta the Witchgirl.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
Blitzkrieg1701 at 12:34AM, Feb. 27, 2009
(online)
Okay gang, the first batch of cameos is UP!!! I'm not going to list all the characters on the page here, partially to preserve the surprise (and, let's face it, the extra page views), but mostly because I just finished listing ‘em all on the page and now I’m sleepy. See, I REALLY went overboard and tried to cram as many characters onto the page as humanly possible. In retrospect, this was NOT a good idea, since it just resulted in a lot of small, hard to see characters. Future pages will only feature two or three cameos a piece, but they'll be much bigger and better looking. A fair trade, I think.

And just so you know, there's still PLENTY of room for more characters! Keep 'em coming!
lastcall at 6:46PM, Feb. 28, 2009
(offline)
Hey Blitz, neat idea. I like how you give credit to everyone and supply links to their comics. Thumbs up.

Feel free to use my characters in Last Call. Lily (the succubus) might be a little too scantily-clad, but there are a bunch of other characters on there who are…well, not. ;) Thanks in advance!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
Flup at 9:34PM, Feb. 28, 2009
(online)
Feel free to use any of my characters!
Cook's Assistant (Fantasy, transgender)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:30PM
Blitzkrieg1701 at 11:13AM, March 2, 2009
(online)
Well, we're only one page into this thing, but I'd have to say that the Cameo Fest has already been successful beyond my wildest dreams! The weekend since the last page was posted saw the most hits in Far Out There's history. Huzzah! Let's see how long we can keep this up!

I think I need to restate one of the rules, though, since it's kind of asking a lot expect anyone to retain all the stuff I wrote in that first post all the way down here. As a general rule, I'm not accepting characters from M and A rated comics since it could create problems for my E rated comic to link them (and if I use a character from a comic without posting a link, it kind of defeats the purpose of this whole thing). Yes, I realize I'm being a bit squeamish in that, and it's not like I WANT to refuse ANYBODY. Still, I needed to draw a line someplace, and that IS what DD provides ratings for in the first place.

As I said earlier, though, that does NOT mean that the author of an M or A rated comic can't participate AT ALL, only that I won't accept characters FROM THAT SPECIFIC COMIC. You can still send in a original character and at least get a plug for yourself. That's SOMETHING, right?

Anyway, I'm working on the next page right now, and even I'm not sure who all will actually get a cameo in the finished version. Tune in tomorrow to find out!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon