Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Wireless Router problems? It's not your computer..
sandy at 8:33AM, May 26, 2006
(online)
For those of you who have wireless routers, and are having trouble connecting to the net, do not worry, it's not your computer. You haven't gotten a virus that bans you from connecting to the net. This just happened ot me last night and I remembered what I learned from my tech rep the last time. So, why all these problems you wonder? Here's the real scoop on possible router issues.

#1: More and more people are getting into the wireless thing, and the more people who set up a wireless network in your neighborhood, the more likely it is that someone is infiltrating on your router signal space. Intereference is the major culprit of connectivity issues.

SolutionA: You might just get a brief period of connectivity and in this case, depending on your router brand and service provider, you can change your router settings manually. And here's how.. Your service provider may have a number you type in on your web browser, inside your address bar. Type in that number and you'll be prompted for a password. Your provider should be able to provide you with the password. Type it in, and then check your channel settings. Channel six is the default usually, for mine, but it could vary for different routers. Change the channel as soon as you're able to, any number, except that default number and by changing the channel, you avoid the interference.

Solution B: If you are not able to get a connection, you may need to press the reset button on your router. This will set everything back to the default settings but it may be able to allow you to go online to reset the settings manually. Once this works, just follow instruction A and return your router settings to their original state.

Solution C: This one is what worked for me. Unplug your wireless router from the modem for ten seconds, and then replug. This is just another version of power cycling.

And if none of these seem to work, then you may consider having your computer examined. But most of the time, it's not the computer if you take excellent care of your system and you know you don't have any viruses.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
Arson at 8:42AM, May 26, 2006
(offline)
I don't TRUST wireless technology.. *eyes wireless mouse, keyboard, tablet.. wireless router too, not to mention cellphone* Aw shit, I'm doomed =(

Thanks for the tip tho. The wireless connection here at school gets some funny ideas of it's own sometimes..
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
sandy at 8:46AM, May 26, 2006
(online)
You're welcome. Arson, any time. Now you know the inside scoop on wireless stuff. Frankly I'm not a fan of this stuff either, and when I find my own place, I'm going to hardwire my computer to the net instead of this method also. Hardwire is more secure than wireless. But here at home, I live in an older house, which was built in the 1930's and to hardwire up to the second floor is impossible without ruining the fascade, so this is why a lot of people go wireless, due to the fact that it does not hurt the look of their older home.
lukee at 8:52AM, May 26, 2006
(offline)
Thanks for the tip! Luckily, I live in a small town, with little wireless interference.

(Plus, this should really go in the Technogeekery forum.

What, there isn't one? Even after I suggested it? WELL LOOKS LIKE THERE'S NOW A REASON TO HAVE ONE.)
–LUKEE Q. FINKLEBERG
Genuine President For Life No Seriously Guys I Mean It For Reals of the Top Drawer
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:49PM
sandy at 9:06AM, May 26, 2006
(online)
lukee
Thanks for the tip! Luckily, I live in a small town, with little wireless interference.

What, there isn't one? Even after I suggested it? WELL LOOKS LIKE THERE'S NOW A REASON TO HAVE ONE.)

Cool! Can I host it?
lukee at 9:09AM, May 26, 2006
(offline)
sandy
lukee

Cool! Can I host it?
Host it?
–LUKEE Q. FINKLEBERG
Genuine President For Life No Seriously Guys I Mean It For Reals of the Top Drawer
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:49PM
sandy at 9:11AM, May 26, 2006
(online)
lukee
sandy
lukee

Cool! Can I host it?
Host it?

Oops, I meant since I happen to be quite versed in Technogeekery, could I mod it? I promise, nothing goes in this except helpful techie issue solitions to common computer problems.
Ozoneocean at 10:29AM, May 26, 2006
(online)
I don't trust wireless either… I don't want to have to log on every time I start up my computer just for security's sake. Good old cables are just naturally more secure and less prone to interference. If I had a laptop or a tablet PC in addition to my desktops, I think I’d augment my network with wireless, but not replace it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
skoolmunkee at 12:12PM, May 26, 2006
(offline)
lukee

Well I challenged you to convince me why we needed that forum in the other thread and you never answered. T_T

I'm not making a forum for just one thread, hoho. Prove there's a need rather than just an audience waiting to happen, too. :)
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:38PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon