Comic Talk and General Discussion *

With fuel prices going through the roof, what advice do you have for saving money on it?
Lonnehart at 8:26PM, June 7, 2008
(online)
Sadly, I've got only a few things to say about this.

1. For those bills you can't pay online… if the places you have to pay them are within a city block or two, just park your car where a lot of people can see it and walk to all those places.

2. If you can bike from your house to all those places, you won't even have to let your car out of the garage (and you'll get some exercise as well).

3. When buying a bike, the cheap ones at K/Wal/whatever/Mart will do. But the best bikes to get are the ones with little weight. That way when you pedal you only have to lug YOUR weight around.

When I get the chance I'm going to write a letter to Ford and ask them to develop a car like the Prius, but instead of using a gasoline engine to charge the batteries it should use the air engine that the TATA Motors Aircar uses (the car makers from India). Combine the two power sources and you have a car that never needs to gas up (since the air engine would be used to charge the batteries and the batteries themselves would be used to supply the electrical motor which moves the car). :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
Custard Trout at 8:28PM, June 7, 2008
(offline)
Walk.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:00PM
Lonnehart at 8:45PM, June 7, 2008
(online)
Custard Trout
Walk.

I like that answer. Effective and to the point. If only it was just that easy… :(
Custard Trout at 8:48PM, June 7, 2008
(offline)
Leave earlier.
crazyninny at 8:52PM, June 7, 2008
(online)
Strap a cart onto my dog, and making her pull me around always does the job. *She's a 16 pound dog.*
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:49AM
Ozoneocean at 9:25PM, June 7, 2008
(online)
It'd be groovy if we could start riding horses again… :(
Not everyone though. I mean like it was in the 1910's, 20's and 30's. When some rode, some drove, some walked, some biked, etc. -and of course public transport- buses, trains, trams, ferries…

Heh, but riding when others are walking is so cool. You're so high above everyone and when you want to go in any direction, you just barge through ^_^
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:31PM
usedbooks at 9:51PM, June 7, 2008
(online)
Do what I do. Live a block away from the 24 hour supermarket. Get a job there. Live your whole sorry life within that block. (Not recommended.)

Honestly? Ride the bus! There just isn't enough public transportation in the US, imo… I like “people watching” on buses too. It's not practical for all your transport needs, but for the daily grind, getting to work and back, etc., buses are just great. (If you live rurally in the US, though, you're pretty much screwed. No buses, taxis, or anything… not that taxis save gas or money.) And I like walking too. Anything within 1.5 miles is reasonable. It feels really “freeing” to walk. If I can do it (fat/achy/lazy), anyone can.

My dad has an electric lawn mower. It looks like a toy, but it is much lighter and more convenient than the old gas one.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
lefarce at 10:44PM, June 7, 2008
(online)
Get a bike, figure out a bus plan, walk, or get a moped/vespa scooter. They're good on gas and can get you from medium distances rather quickly. Yeah you look like an idiot when you ride them, but it's much cheaper.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
skoolmunkee at 5:42AM, June 8, 2008
(offline)
Public transport in the UK is quite good, and I wish I could use it to get to work- but it's a 40-minute drive to work which means taking busses and trains would be almost an hour and a half each way. If I lived next to a train station the public transport route would be a lot shorter, but I can't really justify spending 3 hours a day communuting, spending the same amount of money, when I could do it in half the time. Eventually I'll be buying my own house (not for a couple years though) and I intend to find someplace closer to work, and hopefully near a train station.

That said I have an electric mower, and try to limit running errands to every week and a half or two weeks :) (Or just order things I need off the internet.) If I have to go someplace close, or into town, I try to use the bus- but that's more a case of never finding parking than one of saving gas >_>
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
kyupol at 6:21AM, June 8, 2008
(online)
- Cut down spending on frivolous things. Instead of accumulating stuff you wont be needing, spend your time either meditating, praying to God, or researching for the truth.

- Try to mend the broken ties with family. If the world goes to shit because of the criminals running the US government (dont you think they need to be arrested for violating the Logan Act as well as the constitution?), you have family to turn to. Your family will be a buffer zone if shit happens.

- Aside from mending ties with family, try your best to make friends. God knows if you might need each other.

- If you can, either grow a backyard “farm” or invest in those military rations.

- Get a fuel efficient car, or take public transport, or walk.

- Invest that money. I know it is debatable if gold and silver is the way to go rather than investing that money in “fiat” currency. Still its important to save for the rainy days.

- While money still has value, use it to fight the infowar and learn as many skills as you possibly can. In the event of total economic collapse, the skills you learn can be your currency. What is money anyway? Money is just something that measures the amount of goods and services you're allowed to have. Its not the money but the value that it has.

- Stop watching TV.

- Stop eating as much.

- If you're forced to buy cheap food that are high in sugar and sodium, at least invest $20 on one of those “body cleanser” kits.

- Exercise more.

- Wake people up about the Bilderberg Group. They talked about this back in 2006 of increasing the fuel prices. And its happening. They plan to get the oil up to $200 a barrel. They're doing it so that China will have a hard time getting fuel. As the Western Elite are at odds with the Asian Elite.

- Pray that WW3 wont happen. God I could imagine a war with Russia, China, Pakistan, Iran, and Syria.

I don't care anymore if you'd flame me and call me a paranoid conspiracy wackjob or something.

Its not a conspiracy theory anymore but a fact to me.

I can't hate a fellow human being anymore for disagreeing with me on this. I dont hate but feel sorry for them.

Look. I'm here trying to open your eyes because I care about you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
Whirlwynd at 6:42AM, June 8, 2008
(online)
My family's all made some pretty big changes to deal with it. I moved closer to my job. My rent nearly doubled, but the money I save in gas makes up for it. I also moved out of a rural area to suburb. Instead of everything being twenty minutes away, it's now five, and there's a regular bus that goes down to Milwaukee. Of course, with the way the bus system's being treated lately, that route might be eliminated in the near future :(

My brother quit his job and got one closer to where he lives. I feel bad for him because he liked his old job, but he seems OK with the new one.

My parents can't off and uproot like us, but they made a lot of little changes. They signed up for the carpool programs at work. They do all their grocery shopping for the week in a single trip. They try to spend their free time in places closer to home.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:48PM
HippieVan at 8:02AM, June 8, 2008
(online)
Custard Trout
Leave earlier.

Definitely. I haven't driven anywhere in ages, and I'm always at least 5 minutes early for everything. I either walk or take my bike. Unless the place you're trying to get to is an hour's drive away, it's not as big a deal as people think(although bike riding can be a bit scary on big roads).

And what in the world are you going on about kyupol?
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
AQua_ng at 9:12AM, June 8, 2008
(offline)
What may help is by letting public transport be free for children, like in the UK. Unless America has already done that, then I don't know, power everything by sound or something :/

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:59AM
jgib99 at 10:09AM, June 8, 2008
(online)
I've been riding the bike and walking much more lately, and taking the bus or train for any long distance trips. Also have been buying more store-brand products than name-brands at the store.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
skoolmunkee at 3:04PM, June 8, 2008
(offline)
kyupol
stuff

Interesting tips, but I gotta point out that most of them don't have anything to do with conserving gas :)
IT'S OLD BATMAN
lba at 3:47PM, June 8, 2008
(online)
Lonnehart
When I get the chance I'm going to write a letter to Ford and ask them to develop a car like the Prius, but instead of using a gasoline engine to charge the batteries it should use the air engine that the TATA Motors Aircar uses (the car makers from India). Combine the two power sources and you have a car that never needs to gas up (since the air engine would be used to charge the batteries and the batteries themselves would be used to supply the electrical motor which moves the car). :)

Funnily enough, both Ford and GM are currently, and have been working on hybrid and totally electric vehicles far more efficient than the Prius for a good while now, including a hybrid version of the Camarro that's supposed to be just as fast as the original. The Japanese are very good at taking ideas that Americans think of and finding ways to implement them and they have amazing PR compared to the American companies is really the only difference. The American companies are putting just as much into research, they're just saying less. Not to mention that they put more stock into things like reliability, easy maintenance and performance, than gas mileage.

Ford, Gm and Chrysler, are working on it, but for a long while now a large part of the American people have been asking for horsepower not fuel mileage, and so that's what they got. Mustangs, instead of Focus's. A lot of people complain about the big three not trying to find solutions to the fuel problem, without realizing that the companies were just giving people what they were asking them for. It's basic business.

If I can find the article on what they're working on, I'll post it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
Custard Trout at 3:57PM, June 8, 2008
(offline)
skoolmunkee
Interesting tips, but I gotta point out that most of them don't have anything to do with conserving gas :)

You are the one at fault here, for expecting Kyupol to say something relevant.
kyupol at 5:07PM, June 8, 2008
(online)
Custard Trout
skoolmunkee

You are the one at fault here, for expecting Kyupol to say something relevant.

If you re-read them, its about conserving cash and taking care of your health because the cost of fuel sucks out your cash.

That is relevant.

But man… I feel sorry for you, Custard. All the fluoride and aspartame and vaccines in your body has taken a toll on your brain.

I wonder what kind of a wonderful human being you could have been. :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
JustNoPoint at 6:01PM, June 8, 2008
(online)
Bah. Where I live there are no buses or public transportation of any kind.

I am trying to get enough stuff from town so that I only need to go to town every 2 weeks.

I am saving up for a bicycle and moped as well.

Luckily a friend that I work with lives close by so now we are car pooling.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
Lonnehart at 6:18PM, June 8, 2008
(online)
I guess I'll go ahead and cancel a trip I had long planned for years. I was supposed to go to the Philippines this year to go see my family there, but to save money I've decided not to go. I tend to spend like a maniac whenever I go there since everything is cheaper and all the stores are within walking distance. And the airlines won't have to use the jet fuel needed to carry me there (they can use it on someone else who can afford the air fare). Better yet, I don't have to buy gas for the taxi and tripeds that my relatives drive. :)

*sigh* I'm gonna miss eating those small crunchy fresh Pan De Sal with cheese and coffee in the morning…
lefarce at 7:28PM, June 8, 2008
(online)
Kyu, there uh… There is really no easy way of saying this but… you're kinda' a screwed up guy, aren't you?

Wanted to second that whole “don't buy anything unless it's important thing”, at least in the states. With the recession in full swing I've had a really bad time finding a job, worst time I've EVER had with it. I thank God I don't have a car, it would just cost too much and I'm already bleeding money. My way of avoiding losing more than I can is by only buying what I need and what I'll use. The same can easily apply to paying for gas. Cut down on other expenses, and worry about what matters.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
bongotezz at 7:48PM, June 8, 2008
(offline)
i plan on converting my car like this. it'll run on alcohol. :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
SpANG at 7:32PM, June 9, 2008
(online)
My job has decided to give us the option of 4 day, 10 hour weeks! That should save some mileage on all of our cars!
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
jissai at 11:18PM, June 9, 2008
(offline)
teleport ^.~
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:09PM
Custard Trout at 11:27PM, June 9, 2008
(offline)
lefarce
Kyu, there uh… There is really no easy way of saying this but… you're kinda' a screwed up guy, aren't you?

Are you just now figuring this out?

kyupol
But man… I feel sorry for you, Custard. All the fluoride and aspartame and vaccines in your body has taken a toll on your brain.

Ha ha, no. I'm just bitter and jaded.

- - -

I still stand by my walking plan. It fits in with my general ‘stop being a lazy shit’ method of saving money.
lothar at 6:03AM, June 10, 2008
(offline)
it's realy sad to see so many people with such limited vision , this is a site for artists , is it not? you are supposed to be the visionaries , this is the problem we are in as a species ; so many people are programmed to emediatly disregard everything they hear that is contradictory to what the mainstream media spews out .
TURN of your TV

Kyupol is right !

kyupol
- Cut down spending on frivolous things. Instead of accumulating stuff you wont be needing, spend your time either meditating, praying to God, or researching for the truth.

- Try to mend the broken ties with family. If the world goes to shit because of the criminals running the US government (dont you think they need to be arrested for violating the Logan Act as well as the constitution?), you have family to turn to. Your family will be a buffer zone if shit happens.

- Aside from mending ties with family, try your best to make friends. God knows if you might need each other.

- If you can, either grow a backyard “farm” or invest in those military rations.

- Get a fuel efficient car, or take public transport, or walk.

- Invest that money. I know it is debatable if gold and silver is the way to go rather than investing that money in “fiat” currency. Still its important to save for the rainy days.

- While money still has value, use it to fight the infowar and learn as many skills as you possibly can. In the event of total economic collapse, the skills you learn can be your currency. What is money anyway? Money is just something that measures the amount of goods and services you're allowed to have. Its not the money but the value that it has.

- Stop watching TV.

- Stop eating as much.

- If you're forced to buy cheap food that are high in sugar and sodium, at least invest $20 on one of those “body cleanser” kits.

- Exercise more.

- Wake people up about the Bilderberg Group. They talked about this back in 2006 of increasing the fuel prices. And its happening. They plan to get the oil up to $200 a barrel. They're doing it so that China will have a hard time getting fuel. As the Western Elite are at odds with the Asian Elite.

- Pray that WW3 wont happen. God I could imagine a war with Russia, China, Pakistan, Iran, and Syria.

I don't care anymore if you'd flame me and call me a paranoid conspiracy wackjob or something.

Its not a conspiracy theory anymore but a fact to me.

I can't hate a fellow human being anymore for disagreeing with me on this. I dont hate but feel sorry for them.

Look. I'm here trying to open your eyes because I care about you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
skoolmunkee at 6:04AM, June 10, 2008
(offline)
SpANG
My job has decided to give us the option of 4 day, 10 hour weeks! That should save some mileage on all of our cars!

Something doesn't seem right about that. Although I imagine lots of people will take them up on it at the chance to have a 3-day weekend, I think working an extra 2.5 hours a day is gonna add up pysically/mentally.

I doubt they did it for gas/mileage concerns.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
poinko at 6:45AM, June 10, 2008
(online)
I've had to stop driving my Hummer H2 around and switch to using my GMC Yukon instead. It's a tough sacrifice, but we must all do what we can to help out in these difficult times.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
Blues at 6:49AM, June 10, 2008
(offline)
I propose that we work on a new alternative fuel source from the bullshit that kyupol spouts, the great part is we'll never run out
theres this girl i know, she's a lovely person and all, but she's absolutely obsessed with me… she speaks to me on msn every day and says she loves me and wants to be with me forever, all that shit, theres just one problam…
she's my cousin
and i dunno what to do… she's 100% serious
apparently (according to my mother) she spoke to my mother and asked if it was okay… my mum then proceeded to come in and say “go for it”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:29AM
SpANG at 6:50AM, June 10, 2008
(online)
skoolmunkee
Something doesn't seem right about that. Although I imagine lots of people will take them up on it at the chance to have a 3-day weekend, I think working an extra 2.5 hours a day is gonna add up pysically/mentally.

I doubt they did it for gas/mileage concerns.
Well, since I'm usually here 10 hours a day anyway, it's fine for me.

Oh, and it's only 2, not 2.5. ;)
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon