Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Wowio, DrunkDuck, and WEvolt promotion tent at SDCC
skoolmunkee at 2:56PM, June 30, 2010
(offline)
As part of Wowio's whole launch thing at SDCC, they have a special area out back on the Friday and there will be a tent thingy (I forget what they're called) where they will be handing out “information and stuff regarding the three sites” (DrunkDuck, Wowio, and the launch site WEvolt). They're curious to hear any ideas about the sorts of things they could do in there to help showcase the sites!
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
HippieVan at 5:31PM, June 30, 2010
(online)
skoolmunkee
As part of Wowio's whole launch thing at SDCC, they have a special area out back on the Friday and there will be a tent thingy (I forget what they're called) where they will be handing out “information and stuff regarding the three sites” (DrunkDuck, Wowio, and the launch site WEvolt). They're curious to hear any ideas about the sorts of things they could do in there to help showcase the sites!

Free stuff. Always the way to go. :)
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
Ozoneocean at 9:17PM, June 30, 2010
(online)
Hippie Van
Free stuff. Always the way to go. :)
Good thinking!! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
lba at 10:23AM, July 2, 2010
(online)
Yeah, I'd say they should approach some of the site creators ( both DD members and Platinum comic creators. ) about maybe working out some sort of deal to have some stuff created by community members. If I were wandering through and stopped by a booth for something like that, I know I'd probably want to see what the people already involved are creating.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
Ozoneocean at 12:18AM, July 3, 2010
(online)
There was some talk of getting DD store merchandise printed and ready for the thing I think.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
skoolmunkee at 12:34AM, July 3, 2010
(offline)
Yeah, I think they wanted to know about people who had shirt designs in the store and stuff.

Maybe people could provide links to 1 or 2 page things that Wowio could print out? Like little freebie comics? They could also make print-friendly versions of some things around the site, though that might mean a little more work. Some ideas: excerpts from some of the DD member interviews, or a list of promotion tips from that big “how to get people to look at your comic” thread, or some of the other tips/tricks threads like that. There may be something in the tutorials section which would easily translate to a little handout.

I think the booth should also be showing the video they'll be putting out… or maybe they can put together a youtube playlist (can youtube do that?) of the videos DDers have been submitting.

An easy solution for them to show some of the good comics on DD would be for them to make an account just for the purpose, then build a ‘favorites’ list of comics that have been feaured, top comics, etc. Then when they want to show someone some comics, there's a lot of good ones right at hand.

Edit: Ok, I will put my money where my mouth is here. (Sort of). Of course all of these things will require some sort of graphic/text design, but I have no idea how long that kind of thing takes. Note however that there are some professional designy type people right here on DD who may be willing to work for a modest fee! (Ozoneocean, Iba, Kroatz? must be more) Might depend on what program you want stuff developed in, even I could use Publisher. :]

The point of making handouts for things like tutorials and threads would be to show that there is a community here focused on making good comics, and exchanging shop talk, advice, etc.

Please note that I think if any DD user content is used, it is important to note the username (like tutorial authors) or the comic name (like with thumbnails)!

Some suitbale tutorials: (I've focused here on ones which can be easily condensed into a pithy format to make them one page)
Tips on becoming a better artist
Pitching your comic to an artist (this is a good one)
How to make a lego comic (might be too many images, and maybe promoting LEGO is bad, but I think it's a creative way for non-artists to get into comics)
Creating rain effects (might be hard to get onto one page)
Do's and Don't's of comic making and storytelling
A link to the tutorials section, might be worth a look through to see if there's any others that could work

Threads which might be easy to turn into some kind of promo material:
Who or what inspires your characters? This would be easy to pull generalized quotes from, like “my friends” “my frustrations” etc.
Why are you doing a webcomic? Same deal here
Hand inked or digital inked (might be harder to pull easy quotes from)
How do you make people read your comics? (There's a lot of pages in this one, but would be easy to pull out short tips)

Other content:
2010 featured comics and 2009 featured comics I think would be quite simple to make a collage or something from the thumbnails the admins have used (which tend to be one of the more visually interesting or representative things we saw in the comic). The comic names would have to be linked to the comics, or have a key or something, but I don't think the creators would have much issue with a thumbnail being used for a promotional collage.

DD FAQ - I'm hoping if you're promoting the sites, there's handouts about ‘what is drunkduck’ etc. If not, then this FAQ list (at the bottom) might provide a few quick answers for important questions, like ‘what is it’ and ‘is it free’

Here's something else useful I came across:
How to draw: Strucute by DesireG, it's already on youtube. I found it in the tutorial section. :] Not sure if you need permission to show it on wowiotv if it's already up on youtube.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
lba at 11:16AM, July 3, 2010
(online)
I haven't done a lot of graphic layouts in a while so I can't really give too many examples at the moment, just some quick exercises I've done recently but I'd be more than happy to help out. I'm not a web developer though, so I can really only help out with print stuff.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
michael roche at 6:57AM, July 10, 2010
(online)
I got an animated short Film, was in a film festival last year
and on Toon Boom's featured artist site…
called “3 am” (animated serious piece with music from Moby)
http://www.drunkduck.com/news/news_archive.php?story=844

and another called
“Momma-less Anonymous” (animated comedy)
http://www.youtube.com/stanslavsky#p/u/4/5K9YLQsxPMA

“Good Friday Just Got Better” (animated)
Good Friday Just Got Better (at 3 Wisemen Furniture Store Easter Special)

and Finally
“9 Phrases Women Use” (live action)
http://www.youtube.com/stanslavsky#p/u/67/2OOD7VwGmdk
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:01PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon