KISS 4K Webcomic: Feedback

Coloring
Adam Black at 1:19AM, Feb. 6, 2008
(offline)
I hope all the coloring changes haven't made the comic totally unreadable. Here's why it's all over the map some days:

I'm a black and white artist at heart. This is, in fact, my first color comic. Everything I did previously was done for very small-press publishers, who could only afford black and white. And I love black and white. I grew up reading Savage Sword of Conan, and looking at Dore woodcuts in the library, and it really influenced my art during my formative years. Still does, I think, although I'm nowhere near as good as Dore or John Buscema or Ernie Chan or Alfredo Alcala.

Now that I'm doing a color title, I gotta start thinking in color, and it's a bit of a stretch. I've been trying things out here and there, and while I've made some mistakes, there are some pages I'm really happy with. Fortunately, the pages I'm happy with have been outnumbering the pages I'm not happy with. That's progress!

Anyway, check out page 4 of the new Cas story, which goes online Friday, February 8th. I think that's the style I'm stickin' with. Looks good, and it's quick as hell.

I got the idea to color that way from re-reading Preacher, which is the greatest comic book ever written. If you haven't read it, do so RIGHT NOW. You can buy the whole series in nine graphic novels, and they're worth every penny.

Anyway, let me know what you think of the new coloring technique once the page is up. It's great that I can get feedback the very day the page gets published. Back when I was doing this in my 20s (back when Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth), I wouldn't get any feedback from readers until the book was published and the letters started trickling in–usually six to nine months after I'd drawn the comic. Sometimes as long as a year, depending on the publisher.

I love the instant feedback. It's really made a difference in my artwork, and I thank everyone who's commented, both positively and negatively.
last edited on July 18, 2011 10:26AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon