Ethos Lounge

Quinn
farlightsaga at 6:48AM, July 4, 2007
(online)
Well, he's our male lead and one of our main two narrators. There were a lot of things I wanted to accomplish with Quinn I originally created him. I wanted him to be an everyman. He is the eyes and thoughts of the readers. He is our connection to our humanity.

I want him to be a pawn in the games that the “Powers That Be” played. He isn't a legendary hero. He isn't a master swordsman (though he can hold his own). He doesn't have a prophecy saying he is destined for greatness.

He is going to live and he fully realizes likely die as a pawn.

All of our other main characters have some special hook to them. Aiyana is our ra'th and an enraged mother. Nemesio is a sagely soranae. Aminta is a natural mage of incredible power.

All of them have something major that sets them apart. Some special skill or talent. And by all rights next to them, Quinn is all together plain. He is a good with his sword and he is good at being a King's Messenger, but he's all around rather plain.

For a man who is nowhere near an epic hero, Quinn is the one that every other character will come to hover around. Because he holds on to something that no one else has.

He has belief. He has hope. He has the ability to change the world because even as a pawn, he knows to the core of his being that tomorrow can be a better day than today if we are only willing to make it so.

It hovers about him, touching others and making them again believe too. And that is power of a scale that will change a world.

So what do you guys think of Quinn? He full of himself? Is he the key to everything? Is he a whiny bitch? Please, lets hear it all. ;)
last edited on July 18, 2011 10:26AM
Zaulche at 10:07AM, Aug. 1, 2007
(offline)
I would not call him a whiny bitch exactly, though he is definitely a far cry from what many people would expect the central character to be. Then again, as you stated yourself you purposefully made him normal, and the story will probably come to show how even an average person can make a difference.

Quinn seems to me to be the type of person that people hate to admit they like because they have so much in common with him. He has decided not to stand up in the past, even going so far as to willingly become a pawn, because it was the easiest thing to do. As much as people would not like to admit it, it is something that is done on a regular basis.

I think just about everyone, at least once in their life, has turned a blind eye to something they knew was wrong because they did not want to get involved, only to feel guilty and regret it, but when they try to make amends for it there is nothing that can be done because it is too late.

In that respect, I think many people can probably relate to Quinn, but whether or not they like that relationship would depend on whether or not they see him as representing the hope of making up for past deeds, or the despair of it does not really matter.

Now Tidus, that was a whiny bitch. :)
alanajoli at 7:43PM, Aug. 5, 2007
(offline)
I think it takes a great deal of courage to leave behind what you know–your role, your responsibility–and choose a path. Quinn seems to me to be partly what you say–fairly ordinary–and partly remarkable in his ability to *like* people, after witnessing so much darkness. This may not be true throughout the series, as we haven't really seen him interact with many yet, but in his interactions so far, he cares easily. He empathizes. He understands people. And that insight will help him be that central force he's designed to be in the story.

I like him. ;)
Zaulche at 5:28AM, Aug. 6, 2007
(offline)
You make a good point alanajoli. I had somewhat overlooked the empathy, not because it wasn't there, but because I have grown to expect the main character to empathize. After all, it is this caring of others that often start the heroes on their journey. However, people in general do have a hard time understanding others, and Quinn's ability to do so does set him apart.

Another thing to highlight on your point would be the sincerity with which he wants to help people. Quinn seems to realize he is unable to make up for what his ancestors have done, but he makes an attempt anyway. Not out of a sense of duty or obligation, but because he genuinely cares and wants to make a difference.

Is it just me, or does Quinn seem to be the only person who is trying to change the world that doesn't have any idea about what is going to happen? If so, then perhaps that is why he is the central force. If you have no idea what is going to happen, then you can put forth all of your effort to make things better because the despair of the inevitable does not exist. That is the kind of force that can change the future.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon