Demon's Rift - a blog archive

September '07 news
Ten chan at 7:48PM, Oct. 3, 2007
(offline)
26th: HAPPY DAY OF MY BIRTH! DR now has two story pages uploaded (and, boy, did Page 002 give me fits!). I've already learned quite a bit of what will work and what won't - but not necessarily how to fix what won't, yet, heh.

Lesson#2: Don't go overboard on tones and patterns.

20th: Lookie, I made a thumbnail for DR! It's rather professional . . . in a pitiful sort of way. At least the title is legible. *grin*

At any rate, the Voot (my laptop) is back in my possession, and to celebrate, I've uploaded the cover for my comic. It's not the greatest, but it will do until I figure out wth I'm doing. I'm hoping to be able to update once a week, loosely.

First lesson learned: FILL all word bubbles, and put them on TOP of everything else!

6th: Signed up. I'm committed now. Please check back soon. I've just started converting one of my junk and fluff novels into a manga-style comic, and I would love feedback!
last edited on July 18, 2011 10:24AM
stabbyfairy at 5:22AM, Oct. 5, 2007
(online)
Love the detail in the artwork. Seriously, it's stunning.
I hate to say it on the very first page, but I don't like the word bubbles. Their shape and the font are too stark against that beautiful artwork. I think hand-drawn bubbles would look better. Also, what's with the lack of punctuation in the dialogue bubbles? Was that intentional?
Still, I'm gonna keep checking this. =D
Currently rewriting Pictures from the start - and it is now called In Carnate.
Ten chan at 6:42AM, Oct. 5, 2007
(offline)
COOL! People can reply in these?

I'm so terribly new to this. Forgive me. XD

stabbyfairy, thank you so much for stopping by and leaving your thoughts! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I shall file away your words for future use - since this is my first attempt at a comic, I'm still very much feeling out what will work and what won't (wait, I said that, didn't I? It's so true!).

stabbyfairy
Also, what's with the lack of punctuation in the dialogue bubbles? Was that intentional?

Since this is a direct query, I'll answer it. Yes, it was intentional. Stylistically, I like that comics and manga are so much more lenient and . . . flexible? I think that's the word I want . . . than a full prose novel. Since word bubbles take the place of quotation marks for speech, I decided to take it further. Proper punctuation really isn't needed - and, honestly, distracts me in a comic. I will use commas and periods where needed, but less often than exclamation points, question marks, and ellipses.

But that's just my style preference, as is using all caps for most direct speech. Published manga is formatted the same way. ^_^

Kind of a long-winded answer! LOL! *bows* Thank you very much, again, for stopping by and especially the compliments! ^_^ I do hope you will be by again. And I know I'm going to commit all kinds of booboos. heehee

Yours,
TnR

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon