News and announcements

Shades reviewed by CoyoteLongshot
DAJB at 5:08AM, July 12, 2010
(online)
Well, Shades is now finished but this comment, posted just after the final page went live this morning, is certainly worth copying here. This is not just a comment, it's a full-blown review (and one that makes me all warm and glowy too!)
CoyoteLongshot
*Applause!*

I just read through your entire archives in one sitting. (Something I've been waiting to do ever since I started reading!) Here, summarized, are my thoughts.

You have an outstanding piece of art with Shades, something to really be proud of. I've always considered Shades well thought-out, but it's not until I read it all at once that I realized just how much research, planning, and heart you put into it. Nothing is ever forgotten about, and as early as the first few pages events are being put in motion that reach as far as the spectacular finale. The concepts and history behind the comic are equally impressive, what with the pervading overtones of Druidic and Celtic lore, the uniqueness and history of Britain imbued into the very pages through dialogue, exposition, and recognizable locales, and the obvious knowledge and application of classic superhero fiction. The more original elements, namely the backstory and design of the Spirit Realm, were also enthralling. There were many little things like foreshadowing and recurring themes that I never picked up on by reading weekly that stood out to me when I read it as a whole.

All of the characters were superbly written, each with their own distinct personality traits, ideals and demons to overcome. My favorite, of course, was Stan. :) He seemed like the glue that held them all together, the ‘ground’ if you will that readers could relate with as just a normal guy with family problems. To me, he became one of the biggest heroes of all through his unbreakable will and commitment to standing up for others. The villains were equally well explored, we knew why each was doing what he was doing. Bedlam with his misguided patriotism, Credo with his vision for a unified faith, Dominion… well, he just wanted to stay in business. :P I especially loved the Credo/Dominion exchanges.

The art was also amazing, and I have the utmost respect for Harsho, Nickel, and Qoiri for keeping such a consistent level of quality all the way through. The action sequences were especially a blast to read through, and these guys really know their stuff when it comes to dynamism, anatomy, perspective, what have you. The ‘Page 1’s were a visual treat that I always looked forward to whenever a new chapter was approaching.

You know, I could go on all night about this. You'll have tons of comments like mine to wade through, I'm sure, so I'll leave it at this: Shades is, without a doubt, one of the highest-quality comics on Drunkduck. While I'm sad to see it end, it was a great ride while it lasted. The emotion that Shades evokes at times speaks volumes about your talent as a writer, David, and rest assured I'll be keeping up (or at least attempting to!) with your future endeavors. Thank you for all your comments, and more importantly for sharing your vision with us.
Shades may never have gathered a big enough fanbase to lift it up into the top 100 comics for more than one or two days at a time, but the fans it does have … they're the best!
last edited on July 18, 2011 10:23AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon