Harkovast- the forum

Food Habits in Harkovast
D_Dude at 10:20AM, May 19, 2009
(online)
As shown in this comic: http://www.drunkduck.com/Harkovast/index.php?p=553401, Tsung-Dao likes to eat rice with uhm… stuff, and darsai, I imagine, would eat something like medieval europe with lots of meat for the nobility, but what do the other races we've been introduced to eat?

Also, if there was no other options would anyone in Harkovast even consider eating someone of another race? And would this be considered cannibalism, since they wouldn't actually be of the same species.

This is a bit of what goes on in my disturbed mind…
FEAR THE BADGER!
It's not overkill if you don't hit him.
Sir! We are surrounded! … Good. Then we can charge in EVERY direction.
last edited on July 18, 2011 10:18AM
harkovast at 11:09AM, May 19, 2009
(online)
In Harkovast, eating anyone who is from an intelligent race that can talk would be considered cannibalism, which I suppose means that the word has a slightly different definition in Harkovast.

The only races that regularly break this taboo are the Wahdaq (who do it as part of religious rituals to appease the river gods when they are offended by trespassing outsiders) and the Knarl (Who will eat any other race. Though they don't deliberately kill each other for food, they will eat a Knarl that is already dead wihtout a second thought.)

There are rumours of Ano-Chee and Brorg-Dao eating people, but these are false (though Brorg-Dao can cause terrible injuries by biting in battle, they don't do it for food!)

Very very far to the north, the Eslum have rumours their northern neighbours the Tritoro indulge in cannibalism, but it is unclear if there is any truth to these claims.

Anyway, enough about eating people!

Darsai, as Chen-Chen indicated, eat a LOT of red meat! They also eat large quantities of fish, especially in coastal areas. As well as actual meat, they eat a lot of foods made from other bits of the animal, like jelly (made from bones), black pudding (made from blood) and tripes (made from its guts). Darsai leave very little of an animal uneaten! However, they do also eat vegetables, but this is a comparatively small part of their diet.
As to what the meat actually IS…I want to keep that under wraps right now, but I have some interesting ideas.

Nymus eat a whole range of food, especially berries, insects and unprocessed grains and seeds. However, Nymus dont have much of a sense of taste compared to other races. They don't chew their food (they have beaks after all) and so the only great pleasure they take in eating is in satisfying their hunger. Other races obsession with what food tastes like is bizzare to them. For this reason, Nymus cooking is generally simple, spartan and tasteless, but very healthy! It is very rare to ever see an over weight Nymus!

The Ano-Chee are highly omnivorous, eating a whole range of foods.
They are also very adept at finding food as they travel, recognising edible plants, finding signs of animals near by that they can catch.
This often leads outsiders to believe that Ano-Chee will eat anything, and just grab anything they come across and start eating it.
This is not the case, it is just that the Ano-Chee can recognise what is food and what isn't so quickly and accurately, that they seem to pick it out with no effort at all.

The Tsung-Dao live mostly on rice, eggs, fish and insects of various types, which they farm in large cages. Tsung-Dao food is often considered fairly bland. With their desire for order and reliability, Tsung-Dao are not very adventerous with their cooking, often eating the same food day after day without complaint.

Junlocks eat a range of foods, but favour meat when ever possible. They are not fussy though,and take whatever food is availiable with little complaint.

(and one more…)
In their own lands, Golta eat a very drab diet. Mostly it consists of a vegetable stew (pottage) and porridge, with other foods being eaten only ocassionally or for special events. Golta's great belief in the necessity of making sacrifices for the good of the Golta races causes them to accept this pretty unappealing diet, even giving them a sense of pride that by eating cheap, but not very tasty food they are doing their small bit to help defend their nation from the Tolpish aggressors!
Meal times are taken in large communal dining rooms, signaled by whistles or bells telling them to down tools.
Often a priest will read a section of The Golta Charter before they begin eating, in order to remind them all to be thankful for their food, for the sacrifices made to build their nation and also of the need for their own sacrifices and hard work to maintain that nation.

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
D_Dude at 12:00PM, May 19, 2009
(online)
What about the nameless? Do they eat? If yes, then what?
FEAR THE BADGER!
harkovast at 1:23PM, May 19, 2009
(online)
Nameless cannot remove their helmets, so are presumably incapable of eating.
The people of the east mostly know very little about how the Nameless live or what manner of creature they actually are, beyond aggressors.
Perhaps in the future of the comic, a few of their sinister secrets will be revealed…

Now I have a question for YOU D_Dude.
does the badger in you signature refer to the Gunsmith? Or some other angry badger I should be afraid of?

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
D_Dude at 12:35AM, May 20, 2009
(online)
I'm not certain actually. I suppose it could be any badger that just happens to be around at the time. Those buggers got a vile temper…
FEAR THE BADGER!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon