Random Nonsense

Cars 2, or How I learned to stop worrying and love the film.
Tiberius at 9:01PM, June 24, 2011
(online)
It was halfway through the pre-show, when reality took hold. I looked around to my left were children, and parents. to my front were children, and parents. Behind me were children, and parents. Everywhere I looked was children, and parents. all, but to my right. there sat my friend. He was the only one I could get a hold of, who could join me on this journey. All others had fled to Pennsylvania. Was this my sight, from my eyes. How did I, an 18 year old male, arrive in a theater of children, watching previews for children's shows, accompanied by a friend twice my age?

It all began when I heard of what Pixar would make to follow up the paragon of the animation genre; Toy story 3. The movie was to be another sequel. this was a red flag. It was to be a sequel to Cars, the weakest of Pixar's films. this was another red flag. The tow Truck, Mater, was to be the lead character. A third red flag, for the collection. With three red flags against it, I was worried, I was scared.

To me Pixar was the paragon of quality story telling. The model of artistic integrity. So upon the new that they were making a sequel, based on a movie of below Pixar's average, i was afraid they were bowing down to the sequel trend. Cars, despite being the weakest of the line, was one of the most popular, and merchandised. This is the standard formula for getting a sequel made. Often quality does not matter, only merchandise, and money. Was Pixar finally going to fail? As I sat there, with my friend, surrounded by children, I would find out.

The pre-show ended, finally. 5 times it said it was ending, all but the the last were lies. The previews began. the first was of Winnie the pooh. I vowed to take my mother, a fan of Winnie the Pooh, to see this. The next was of the Muppets. I vowed to see this, as a fan of the Muppets. It seemed to be a reboot, directly tying into the original series. The final preview, I remember, Was a teaser, for Pixar's next film, “Brave”. I am excited for this film. It takes place in Scotland. The previews finished, and the film began.

Like all other Pixar films before it, I was greeted first by a short. I featured the toy story cast. I was motivated hear, by this short. if not for my eagerness to see the beloved cast, of my childhood, and my present, I may not have come. I was not disappointed.

I had come in with optimism, but in the back of my mind, but closer then comfortable, I felt I was to be witness to the falling tide. That this was the moment when looking back you would see the high mark of computer animation. That from this point onward, the water would get further, and further from that mark. It was a fear that the fire of originality, had burned out in another grand place. But I did not let these fears dissuade me. I came into this film with an open mind, with a determination that this film could be good. I was optimistic.

The movie began.
I laughed, I was amazed, I was shocked, I was intrigued I was unsurprised by somethings, surprised by others.
The movie ended.

Pixar had done it again.

Cars 2 is better then the first. It may not be their best, but it is still above the Hollywood average, and even did some things you may not expect from Pixar. Despite having an obnoxious lead, I was made to feel for him, to care what happened to him. No-one but Pixar could make me like Mater. This movie seemed hopeless, bleak, and yet it is a success

It is times like this, that make me an optimist.

Not the End

P.S. Dear, Hark
I'm not saying I told you so, because I actually agreed with you then, but…
prepare to eat your words. If bad ass, smart, suave secret agents, are a negative portrayal, then I'll recommend Larry the cable guy as ambassador.
The post apocalyptic genre- one of the most optimistic of all genres.
Why?
Because we somehow survived the end of everything, and have built a pretty nice town to boot, sometimes with pig powered electricity!
last edited on July 18, 2011 10:18AM
Canuovea at 11:19PM, June 24, 2011
(online)
Really?

Well, it has Michael Caine (I think) in it… and Putin is a fan of his… and he's British (Caine, not Putin)… and… well, Pixar is generally pretty good.

Interesting. Well, I can't wait to see Hark's reaction to this! You might force him to go and see the movie… oh well.

On a side note, this topic was posted twice… It is so easy to make that mistake, isn't it? I hate it when that happens.
harkovast at 6:15AM, June 25, 2011
(online)
Hmmm, well Pixar are normally pretty good.
(Though, ironically, I consider Cars 1 to be one of their weaker efforts.)
Mind you, Tiberius is Mr Positive, so perhaps he isn't viewing things the same hateful bitter way that I do?

A few questions to put me at ease-

Does it feature jokes of he uptight British characters being appalled by the Americans laid back ways?
Do the British characters try to do things “by the book” when this is clearly retarded and need the Americans to come up with a whacky plan instead?
Is there a scene devoted to guards in front of Buckingham Palance in big hats who don't move if you go up to them? (A dead unicorn trope, as you cant get that close to the palace and the guards would beat the shit out of you if you tried…or shoot you. They all have loaded assault rifles!)

If you can confirm that none of that stupid shit goes on…maybe I can be won over.

Also, even if this Pixar Cars film manages to not offend me, a film called Brave set in Scotland? Is that twat Mel Gibson at it again? I swear an English Jew used to steal his lunch money at school or something.

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
Tiberius at 10:19AM, June 25, 2011
(online)
as you can tell, I'm a fan of Hunter S. Thompson.

it has British calling mater obnoxious. it has Americans calling mater obnoxious. it has everyone calling mater obnoxious. And yet I liked Mater by the end. damn good story telling

The British characters do it by A book. Written by Ian Flemming. They also were never told of due process.

There is one scene with the Buckingham palace guards, but I fail to see how this is an insult to the British. It was just Mater being obnoxious. that's a Mater thing.

Is Mel Gibson your white whale? Or is it more of a conspiracy/paranoia thing? “He's in the walls! Can't you hear the Jew hate! It's in the walls! Mel Gibson is insulting gay people in my walls!”

Anyway. Brave looks epic. It's done in the style of a fairy tale, like Hans christen Anderson, and the brothers Grimm. there is no Mel Gibson. It's lead is a princess who is awesome with a bow. In the teaser she goes 1 on 1 with a bear. it's assumed she wins, by shooting the bear.
Why?
Because we somehow survived the end of everything, and have built a pretty nice town to boot, sometimes with pig powered electricity!
harkovast at 10:34AM, June 25, 2011
(online)
Wait…Mel Gibson is in my walls?
*listens at walls with a glass*
COME OUT AND FACE ME, MEL!!!!
I'm not afraid of you!

assortedboxofchick at 12:51PM, June 25, 2011
(offline)
DAD-GUM I LOVE MATER, Y'ALL!!!! Wifey here, Hark. May I remind you that Mr. Bean did a palace guard scene??? And I remember getting six inches from a palace guard on a horse. So you can get next to the palace guards if you are 1) Me, 2) Bean, or 3) Mater.

Hark will have to take his young son number one fan (((Ka-Chow!!!!))) to the movie but he can pretend he's doing it to prove some type of forum point!

Can't wait to see it but the question is…to 3-D or not 3-D???
xoxo
the mrs

Canuovea at 2:36PM, June 25, 2011
(online)
3D? It burns! It- aaarrrgghhh!

Ahem.

Scotland rules (Well, after Elizabeth for a bit. Currently the Germans/Dutch rule). Unless it's tainted by Mel Gibson.

Mr. Bean also rules. Three wheeled little green cars drool.

English guards with big hats? I'm Canadian, not like I can criticize that… But I'm told if you stand still too long you'll pass out.

But Tiberius, according to Deve, Brave will almost certainly not be feminist. Princess Mononoke and Tangled are great examples of “feminist” movies that aren't actually feminist! Therefore, Brave will be a terrible movie that reinforces the Patri- damn. I've gotta stop thinking about that stuff now.
Tiberius at 8:41PM, June 25, 2011
(online)
who/what is deve? that name holds no significance. I googled it, and it's either the third-person singular indicative present of dovere, or a camel.

not feminist does not mean anti-feminist, or male chauvinistic. It just means It's not a tale with feminist themes. Which in my mind is a good thing. Why can't a female lead just be a female lead? Why does she have to be some strike against “patriarchal tyranny”? don't make a big deal about it. it's nothing special, it just is.

P.S the idea of patriarchal tyranny is mostly BS. Women have disadvantages in some areas, but they have advantages in others. Both sexes have it bad in different areas. Men are given unfair treatment in some areas too. like custody law, alimony, and domestic abuse awareness. Wives also beat their spouses, it just goes unreported due to the social stigma placed on being beat up by your wife, so the husband stays quiet. in many ways the sexes ARE equal, in that they are both unequal (if that makes any sense).

one of the best examples is the “don't hit a girl” rule. I've never had a problem with this, since I've never hit anyone in anger (snapped, and voiced my contempt for them very energetically has happened tho). I have seen people who have had this problem. They get hit by a girl, but they can't hit back due to the stigma. I'm not saying he should hit back, I'm saying that the girl should be stigmatized for hitting him.
Why?
Canuovea at 11:02PM, June 25, 2011
(online)
Deve is my nickname for Eve's Daughter, the online name of one of the people in Hark's “Worst People” thread. Basically, we just complain about the craziness of some people. It isn't too optimistic, but it has its moments. Anyway, Deve is a radical feminist. I got the distinct feeling of “If you aren't against the patriarchy, you're for the patriarchy.”

I agree with you on the movie thing though.

I think there is a certain frame that works in a way similar to a “patriarchal system” but I'm not convinced it is quite as some see it. I don't like the ideas of class and overarching system. They diminish, in my view, individual agency and responsibility (while sometimes increasing it). But enough of this. This is your thread about Cars 2 (and Brave it seems), I shouldn't have mentioned it.

But while we are on the subject… I'll hit a girl if they give me good enough reason to. They would have to give just as good a reason as anyone else.

But as far as the stigma… it isn't an advantage women have, it is part of a system which says that they need protecting and can't think for themselves. That's what I would say IF I were a certain type of feminist… and there are valid points there… but… eh.
Tiberius at 5:34PM, June 26, 2011
(online)
I just find it hilarious that when you Google deve one of the results is pictures of camels. It's a shame the camels won't go see brave. Maybe they hate grassy hills, since they prefer sandy hills.
Why?
Canuovea at 6:13PM, June 26, 2011
(online)
Or maybe the camels are worried Mel Gibson might jump em for their lunch money…
Tiberius at 9:02PM, June 26, 2011
(online)
Well they shouldn't worry, Mel Gibson is still in Harks walls. So as long as the camels, avoid Hark's house, they should be fine.
Why?
Canuovea at 9:14PM, June 26, 2011
(online)
But do they know that?
Tiberius at 10:54PM, June 26, 2011
(online)
maybe we should send them an email.

also, ont topic, have i convinced anyone to go see this film? cause I recommend it.
Why?
harkovast at 12:23AM, June 27, 2011
(online)
Deve looks like a camel?
That would actually explain a lot…

I am clearly going to end up seeing this film, the fates are conspiring. BEsides, everyone is talking about me seeing it so much I feel like I need to see it just to settle this disucssion.

Though be warned Tiberius, I've seen a lot of other reviews that have been less than kind to it. Can Mater melt my icey heart? Can Hark learn to love again? Can I hear Mel Gibson scratching? We shall soon find out (well okay, apart from that last one.)

Canuovea at 12:52AM, June 27, 2011
(online)
Nobody knows what Deve looks like except the people who know her. Her looks are irrelevant to her crazy. She is probably your average 30 or so woman. Actually, she should be nearing her birthday now (yeah, scary how I've read that much, eh?).

I probably won't see cars 2. I haven't seen a movie in a long time now, and if I did go it would be for something a little bit more than a child's film. The Hobbit, definitely. Cars 2? Not so much.
Genejoke at 1:42AM, June 28, 2011
(online)
I imagine Deve looking like one of my exes. cars 2. meh! The next one Brave looks fairly impressive.
metabad at 8:54PM, June 29, 2011
(offline)
Speaking of Brave and Scotland and Mel Gibson, does liking Braveheart make me a bad person?

>_>

<_<

…and yeah, I know that has nothing to do with Cars 2, I might see it but I don't know.
Canuovea at 9:18PM, June 29, 2011
(online)
Nah, so long as your realize that it lacks almost any kind of historical authenticity.

And that the English weren't quite that bad.

Okay, so they were bad, but not quite that bad.

I mean, the Scots were doing what came naturally… “Ya try oon take mae land an e'll clip yar wee lickle fingers oaf! (With apologies to any other Scottish people, I can't type the accent for the life of me).

And Eddy was kinda nasty, but he was effective nasty. I doubt you could say that many kings back then were exactly ”nice."

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon