Art 'n Stuff

Wonderful fan art that I had to work so hard to acquire from HARKOVAST that is not a disappointment at all, really.
Wordweaver_three at 4:22PM, Feb. 10, 2009
(online)
Always make sure you read the fine print whenever you enter a contest.

last edited on July 18, 2011 10:17AM
harkovast at 4:31PM, Feb. 10, 2009
(online)
I love the symbolism the artist has used here.
The way the figures represent mans eternal struggle against the confines of society while at the same time he clings to those restrictions for protection.
On the one hand we see the axe, representing the authority, the state, the church. Below this we see the bush, denoted as background, representing the working classes, the blood that oils the wheels of the capitalist engine, the prolateriate, controled by the system, in fear of it, and yet dependant on it for the control it provides.
And look, the minotaur chick has boobies!
Woohoo!

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
Wordweaver_three at 4:59PM, Feb. 10, 2009
(online)
Don't think that I didn't notice that her hair was parted on the wrong side, so this obviously is a self portrait. The mirror image symbolizing her status in the bleak world that she lives in. The white background, of course, is a slight of the author of Love Curse, symbolic of his incomplete and frankly dull setting. The low hanging breast reminds one that time wears on all, the perkiness of youth cannot last forever. Her expression is that of wide-eyed optimism for the future, regardless of how close gravity draws her assets towards her knees.
harkovast at 5:33PM, Feb. 10, 2009
(online)
Its a picture with a lot to say, thats for sure.
I felt the obvious anti american over tones were a bit heavy handed though.
The blue dress, red hair and white background, obviously combining to make the american flag, the brown skin of the new main character symbolic of Obama as the new president, with Bush slowly fading into the background.
The axe rather overtly symbolising the authors belief that America was behind 9/11.
I thought these elements were all a bit too over stated, and should have been included more subtely.
I'm sure you all picked up on these points already though.

Wordweaver_three at 5:45PM, Feb. 10, 2009
(online)
But of course. The political satire was so plain that even a imbecile couldn't help but see them. I thought it entirely unnecessary to comment on them. The axe over the bush is so obviously a metaphor, that it's somewhat embarrassing to point it out. The character being a minotaur is without a doubt a tongue-in-cheek jab at the American economic market.
harkovast at 6:24PM, Feb. 10, 2009
(online)
(Seriously, I cant believe how well this “my doodle is a scaithing, blistering attack on America” arguement is working!)

Wordweaver_three at 6:57PM, Feb. 10, 2009
(online)
Must come second nature to you, being an evil Englishman. Mel Gibson was right!
confusedsoul at 7:40AM, Feb. 11, 2009
(offline)
Being both of a male persuasion, I couldn't possibly expect you to understand the subtle feminism of this picture.

The minotaur wears a dress- a symbol of servitude, of oppression from men and a willingness to become a slave to house work and selfish desires, and yet she carries an axe, a feminine weapon to slice the bonds that tie her and allow a way to escape oppression. But the axe is double edged, showing how the fight against male dominated society must be both offensive and simultaneously damaging to the user- that freedom must come at a price to woman kind.

The light blue of the dress symbolises sky which combines with the bush as an elaborate metaphor for the menstrual cycle and a subconscious desire on the artists part to want to reconnect with mother nature to find their spiritual whole.

That anti-american thing works surprisingly well! You should make a forum game out of this.
Wordweaver_three at 2:13PM, Feb. 11, 2009
(online)
Due to the fact that I am embarrassingly masculine, I appreciate that you have enlightened us neanderthals with the more delicate aspects of this anti-Americana masterpiece. With this new insight I can now determine why the artist had depicted the character with one hand free while the other is bound within the restrictive sleeve of her dress. Obviously it displays the bigoted nature of the US regard to women. Allowing them only to be half free, prohibiting them from casting off entirely the vestments of their sub-status.
harkovast at 3:14PM, Feb. 11, 2009
(online)
I'm worryingly feminine, so I fully agree with the points about the aim of this picture to encapsulate the plight of all women in the post-feminist world in which we find ourselves.

But I think we need to probe this image deeper though.
The theme of the authors own suicide. He finally completed the picture two days after his successful suicide, so this is a very important theme in the image.

The “red hair”, as some who fail to understand the image have called it, is actually symbolic of the authors own brains, being struck by the axe of self recrimination and spilling forth onto the blank uncaring white of the unreceptive public.

This is a dark, frightening image, touching on ideas of isolation. The lone figure, with a dull, meaningless smile across their face surrounded by the uncaring bleakness of a hateful world.

The Background Bush of madness, suffering and death is the artists only companion.

Truly this is a chilling, uncomfortable image, difficult to look at, but too important to ignore.

waff at 3:47PM, Feb. 11, 2009
(online)
confusedsoul
You should make a forum game out of this.
wait a minute…so your suggesting we make a forum game of describing the symbolism of what is essentially a doodle?

then again I don't have much power in the forums…I'm just confused.

'there is no “overkill” there is only “open fire” and “time to reload” rule #37
the things on my box are a dead squirell, a medal and a paper bag hat.
ow! I have shards of the fourth wall in my eye!
WAFF-MAN!! as of mafia VI
harkovast at 6:55PM, Feb. 13, 2009
(online)
Waff you obviously just aren't appreciating the subtext of the piece.
I'm afraid you are just not pretencious enough to be an art critic.

Darius Drake at 4:37PM, March 26, 2009
(online)
I doubt that I am pretentious enough to be an art critic either, however I want to point this out.

Her smile, as big as it is, when taken into consideration of the subtle feminism that confused soul pointed out, displays a willingness to both serve in the traditional female role while also gaining freedom for her fellow women from this role, and willingness in getting damaged from her own weapon and others weapons in her fight for female freedom against the male oppressors.
Heh heh heh. Boom.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon