The Webcomic Review Forum for the Webcomic Review Comic on the Web

Mob Ties
harkovast at 12:52AM, July 12, 2010
(online)
Damn, that is a lot of posts!
I will go through tonight and address everyones specific points/complaints/hate mail.
There are so many people getting in on both sides that I will need a few hours to read what everyone is saying, let alone reply!

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 18, 2011 10:15AM
ifelldownthestairs at 12:55AM, July 12, 2010
(online)
Isn't it great? We've made finally it to TWO pages on one of these threads! THE GOOD GUY THREAD HAS BEEN DETHRONED
you know why birds don't write their memoirs? because birds don't lead epic lives, that's why. who'd want to read what a bird does? nobody. that's who.
http://www.drunkduck.com/i_fell_down_the_stairs
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 1:53AM, July 12, 2010
(online)
DrLuck
Author_Ninja

All I have to say about Mob ties is that it is a Manga Parody Comic. It's American styled manga art, I'm not about to claim it's actual manga because the slavering manga fans would tear me apart. As for my art. It's my style. Don't like it? Bite me. I've been drawing like this for 24 years, I'm not about to make a drastic change. And I'm not great at backgrounds. It's a failing I'm willing to admit. I don't have great spacial relation and have a hard time drawing anything technical. It's a character driven comic anyway, if you read it to admire the furniture, I feel sorry for you.

However, some good did come from all this. I've discovered the sheer level of hatred people have for fillers, so those are out. But for your information, it's not laziness. I work 40 hours ever week and then spend close to another 40 hours a week working on the comic. But if people are still going to bitch about a little placeholder, then I'm fine with that. Fillers are out.

So, thank for the review, sorry about the complaints. Still, it's probably the most views your review comic has ever had.

I have gone from neutral to pissed from this post alone. It's this kind of attitude that makes me want to reach across the internet and slap you in the face ten times over. Fans getting pissed off? Nah. Insults being thrown? Nope. This post is the most ridiculous thing I've read (quoting the parts I'm in particular disgusted to see you say).

First off, there is always room for improvement. You as an artist should be looking at what you lack and build on it. Don't like drawing backgrounds? Make yourself draw them. Not good at drawing cars? Draw them. Soon enough, backgrounds aren't an issue anymore, and you can draw a damned nice Ferrari. You should never fall into “I've drawn like this for years so I'm not going to change” mode of thinking if you want to make the best at what you do. Can't do spacial? So what? I can give you a bunch of guides on point perspective if you'd like. It's really simple if you know the trick behind it.

And yes, I would love to admire the furniture. Because you know what furniture does? It tells me about the characters. Example: the difference between an art deco chair and a beanbag chair in a character's home.

Art deco suggests the person is either my middle aged aunt or deeply cares about the appearance of their home. This can lead to suggesting a character having self-image issues and trying to put on a perfect look behind a fragile ego.

Beanbag chair can suggests a character is laid back and just wants something comfy to sit in in their spare time. It's more open, obvious, and frank.

Color and fabric can even change a tone. What do you think when you see a black, leather couch versus a cheap couch with springs popping out of it?

My point: The setting adds to the characters. You're a character driven comic? It's the perfect reason to introduce setting. What if I walked into your apartment/house and see a bunch of garbage lying around? And if I walked in and it's completely clean? Things like that add a lot.

As to the second paragraph, it's being lazy. I'm a junior going to senior at a rigorous art college that requires three studio classes and two history/liberal classes. Each studio class is five hours long. Each homework assignment is five hours long at least (meeting once a week). Liberal/history takes two hours each, with perhaps an hour of homework each week. That's, in total so far, 36 hours. That's not adding in my hours of working for money, which is generally 8 hours a week.

44 hours, about the same as your work schedule not even getting into comic time. I know exactly how you feel, so don't pull the “Oh, I'm so busy all the time” card.

Now, let's say that instead of doing (estimate) five comics a week, you instead do two. Take that 40 hours and split it. About 8 hours per comic page, brings you to 16 hours total. Add in time to do things you're not really sure to do, and you got:

1) Two damned nice comic pages that let you expand as an artist
2) A far more engaging setting to add to your story
3) More clues about characters or even moods. Blue, dim room during the rain versus a bright, colorful room in the sunshine is a big difference.
4) An update schedule you can keep up with without filler

And plenty of time to spare to do other things, like drawing more. I don't mean comic pages, I meant just drawing more. You can never draw enough.

I just explained to you everything you can do that can help improve your comic, your art, and even your personal schedule. If you further feel that you “don't need to change anything” or “are good enough” at what you do, then I'm sorry. You fail as an artist just by that concept. Always accept critiques, always do better than before, and always do something new.
Its this type of comment that make me want to reach through the screen and smack someone.

1! Not everyone can approve. There is a thing could plateau effect. Also not everyone has to improve. To think that everyone does is just stupid.

2! I agree scenari does add something to a character. You made a very good point.

3! YOUR A BEEPING ART MAGOR! Of course you want everyone to get better at art. But your in school! He is trying to scrap by in a thing called the real world. Its outside of college. You might find it once your done with your education. In my opinion just classes and 8 hours of work a week is not as hard as having two jobs.

ifelldownthestairs
I don't need your examples, I already can see the ludicrous argument you're about to bring up. “This is how they do it in some countries”?? That's the best you can come up with? Are you Japanese? Do you live in Japan? Even if you are and do, that defense would only explain rather than justify, but if not then it's an even more useless point. In the Middle East, women are property, to be treated as however their fathers and husbands see fit. Does that mean that if I make a comic about a guy beating the shit out of his wife because she spoke her mind in public, I can refer to that and say that it should be acceptable on those grounds? Absolutely not! What's next? Will Mika become a sex slave for someone because that happens in some parts of the world, and is therefore acceptable?

Surely you knew that this content would rub some people the wrong way, there's no way you can be that naive. It's socially acceptable there? Well that's great, only it isn't here. And since I was raised in this culture, and brought up to believe that youth lasts a little bit longer, and that it's wrong to corrupt youth, I find your comic offensive. As does Hark, who (on this subject, at least) holds the same values. I can't make myself any clearer. You didn't ask a Japanese guy for a review, you asked us, so for you to not have expected that blows my mind.

When you do a story that is set in a foreign country what would be better? Ignoring their the culture of said country or putting westernization into it? But I do agree with you that it is perfectly acceptable to have those who would be rub the wrong way. But I find it mind boggling that you would not see that a story from another country should not have that culture in it.

I like the art. In my opinion it is better than most the people's in this thread who said it was bad or sub par. Note how I said “in my opinion”. I can understand you not liking anime style or american style anime. But some of us do. Just cause you don't like the style don't say its bad.

DrLuck at 2:09AM, July 12, 2010
(online)
TheFlyingGreenMonkey
3! YOUR A BEEPING ART MAGOR! Of course you want everyone to get better at art. But your in school! He is trying to scrap by in a thing called the real world. Its outside of college. You might find it once your done with your education. In my opinion just classes and 8 hours of work a week is not as hard as having two jobs.

Uhh, so what if I'm an art major and so what if I'm in college? My point was that I can relate to the same amount of hours as him doing work/things that are time consuming, therefore it's not an excuse. And pardon me for not understanding, "The real world," because of course, college students have no what that's like. College is nothing to sneeze at. There are finals, exams, projects, and so on to keep up with while still getting money to pay for it. Two jobs don't give you homework and don't take money from people.

And of course I want people to improve. What the hell do you think comics are? Math problems? No, it's art and writing! Sign up for a review? Well, review we shall! Why bother signing up for a review at all if you don't want to improve on your art and writing? Is that not the entire point? You make no point.

Edit: And also, by no point, I also mean that I suggested he updated less. As in less time on the comic and more time doing what he needs to do. Change the update schedule to not update every day would help him wonders.
harkovast at 3:15AM, July 12, 2010
(online)
taltamir, I am officially going to start ignoring you.
I am starting to think that you are not a mobties fan, but that you in fact hate mob ties and are trying to make it look bad by portraying all of its fans as morons.
Your arguments are so illogical and your failure to read either mob ties or our review and remember anything you saw is getting ridiculous!
If you really are a mob ties fan, stop typing! You are NOT doing yoru team any favours!

I am not going to feed your trolling any more.

TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 4:10AM, July 12, 2010
(online)
DrLuck
TheFlyingGreenMonkey
And pardon me for not understanding, "The real world," because of course, college students have no what that's like.
Your pardoned :3

But school and work are different is what I'm saying. One taxxes the mind one taxes the body. Though during finals and midterms all nighters tax both.

zaymac at 5:06AM, July 12, 2010
(online)
I think the most important thing to realize from this discussion, is that I got a positive review from The Webcomic Review Comic on the web.

And that makes me awesome.

It's a Grizzly Bear battling Zombies. Do you need to know more?
DOLLAR STORE HAIRCUTA daily webcomic of unfunny.
Jekyll at 5:08AM, July 12, 2010
(online)
This is going to be a long post, as this is something that I'm impassioned about. I apologize in advance for it's length.

Yikes…there certainly seems to be a large amount of personal attacks and trolling going on here. Anyway allow me to introduce myself, as this is the first time I've ever posted on the forums. I'm a long-time DD reader as well as a long-time Mob Ties fan. I was also a movie reviewer for my college newspaper for about 3 years, so I figure that I have something to say and, hopefully, I can say it well.

This is an impassioned plea to anyone who has read the review and is thus reading this.

In short, read the comic for yourself before deciding!

Allow me to explain what I mean by saying this. When it comes to movies, we all have excellent resources to turn to, to find out whether they are decent or not. We have critics, we have word of mouth and we have, my personal favorite, Rottentomatoes.com. For those who don't know what Rottentomatoes is, it's a site that gathers up a large amount of movie critic reviews on all movies and averages them out to a composite score. Movies that have around a 60 percent and above are considered “Fresh” and movies that are below that are considered “Rotten”. With me so far?

Now, as a long-time critic myself, I think I can let you in on a dirty secret of the critic world.

Critiques are nothing but a dressed-up opinion.

I was a movie critic, as I said above, and there were plenty of times where I loved a movie that someone else hated and vice versa. Does my opinion count for any more then their own? I don't think so. The only difference between him and me was that I managed to sucker people into reading my own critique and even then, I was sure to let people know that this was just my own, personal, opinion.

Now let me explain why I brought up Rottentomatoes. It collects and collates reviews and shows people whether a movie has a largely positive or a largely negative assortment of reviews.

Now let me bring up a big Oscar winning movie…“The Dark Knight”. I hope that everyone has heard of it and, for your own sake, that you've seen it as it is a FANTASTIC movie. Nearly everyone, in the critic world at least, agreed and it got a 94% score on Rotten Tomatoes. What I'm trying to emphasize here is what that means is that 6% of a polled 272 professional reviewers thought it was not a decent movie.

So roughly 16 people thought that the movie was horrible. Surely any true fan could read up on other reviews, poll the internet, check with friends on what they thought of the movie and see that these nay-sayers are in a VERY distinct minority.

But what happens if a person who is considering watching this movie has no internet connection, doesn't live close to any friends to talk to and only has access to a newspaper that has one of the few negative reviews in it? This person, on that review alone, would miss out on a absolutely incredible movie.

This is the situation that we find ourselves in here.

There are very, very few reviewers on and of drunkduck. Thus there's no neutral 3rd party collecting every review every made about Mob Ties and assigning it a rating. Also, it's hard to find truly unbiased people to ask about a comic as, if their on the forums or comic's comments then, most likely, their going to enjoy the comic.

So, you ask, how can a person determine if a comic is moderately decent or not?

While some may disagree, this is my own thoughts on it. Drunkduck.com is a well-known entity and attracts, I would guess, several million readers.

Now, lets forget about the Top 10. Mob Ties has not left the Top 5 for months now and I have never seen it drop below the 10. What that means to me is that there are thousands upon thousands of people who read the comic and, presumably, enjoy it.

Going beyond that…there is a very, very big difference between web-comics like these and movies. People, and I include myself in this , are quite nervous about bad reviews about movies because if you go to see said movie your going to drop a chunk of cash on tickets and probably even more at the concession stand. That means, if the movie is bad, you've lost a pretty large chunk of cash for no reason.

This is not the case with Mob Ties or, in fact , any webcomic. You are not being forced to pay by the page, nor are you forced to drop a fortune on some nasty popcorn while reading. All of your snacks are provided to you, by you!

So, I say, take a chance and give Mob Ties a go! You can limit yourself to 20 pages if you'd like. Just I see lots of people who say they have read the first 2 pages and said they hated it. That's like seeing the first 10 minutes of a movie and walking out!

To bring up my previous point, this review is purely the author(s) opinion. You might read every page of Mob Ties and agree with them…or you might find that you enjoy something that quite alot of other people do too.

All I ask is that you give it a chance.

harkovast at 5:22AM, July 12, 2010
(online)
Jekyll your argument seems to basically breka down to “mob ties is popular, there for it must be good.”
Having a lot of fans does not make something good.
The Spice Girls had millions of fans!
Twilight has millions of fans!
The Eragorn books have millions of fans!
Achieving popularity is a not measure of quality and does not have any impact on the review we give it.

People who are arguing that mob ties represents Japanese culture-
No, it really really doesn't.
Other then a few cliche scenes the comic almost never gives the impression of being set in a foriegn land. Everyone acts thinks and lives exactly as they would if they were all American. If you substituted “Mafia boss” for Yakuza boss, the story would run just as well.

The only section of Japanese culture that seems to get much attention in this comic are-
1-The legal age to get married.
2-The uniforms worn by Japanese school girls for Gym.

Other then that, the Japanese setting is almost entirely unnecessary and mostly goes unnoticed. The fact there are no backgrounds doesn't help. This blank void could exist anywhere.

The art is not the worst I have ever seen, its true. But its still rubish!
Just becuase there are some examples that are worse does not make me forgive such a sloppy effort. And all white backgrounds are raelly unforgiveable.

The comics archive could be cut by a third if you got rid of all the filler, which gets beyond a joke. If you cant update taht much, change your schedule! Stop posting filler.

I find the authors assertion that mika is “practically an adult” to be very creepy. Does that imply he considers all 15 year olds to be “practically an adult”?

TFGM suggests that this sort of thing is common in Anime. I would say that if this is true, then this is evidence of something horribly wrong with anime!
The fact that lots of pople are doing it does NOT make something okay!
If anime was full of racism would it be okay for you to put that in your comics?

A couple of other poitns i should rebuke-
The plot is NOT confusing. I never said this.
The plot is nonsensical and stupid, but its not confusing.
In the same way that I dont find Battle Field Earth or Batman and Robin confusing.
Their plots make no sense at all, but they dont confuse me. I can follow their logic, even as I roll my eyes at how weak that logic is. The same applies to mob ties.

Also, I have to laugh at the idea that a proper review has to point out good and bad. If there is nothing good, then I am not going to make something up for the sake of balance!
Updating every day is not an achievement if the quality of updates is so tremendously low and a large portion of the updates are filler.

And Zaymac- Laugh it up while you can….but I will get that anthro award again! Just you watch!
(Though you do raise a good point. If you can get a good review, why not mobties? Maybe becasue your comic isn't about lusting after school girls? I dunno, but it could be a factor!)

Genejoke at 6:16AM, July 12, 2010
(online)
DrLuck
TheFlyingGreenMonkey

Uhh, so what if I'm an art major and so what if I'm in college? My point was that I can relate to the same amount of hours as him doing work/things that are time consuming, therefore it's not an excuse. And pardon me for not understanding, "The real world," because of course, college students have no what that's like. College is nothing to sneeze at. There are finals, exams, projects, and so on to keep up with while still getting money to pay for it. Two jobs don't give you homework and don't take money from people.

And of course I want people to improve. What the hell do you think comics are? Math problems? No, it's art and writing! Sign up for a review? Well, review we shall! Why bother signing up for a review at all if you don't want to improve on your art and writing? Is that not the entire point? You make no point.

Edit: And also, by no point, I also mean that I suggested he updated less. As in less time on the comic and more time doing what he needs to do. Change the update schedule to not update every day would help him wonders.

I agree with Dr luck on this one, regardless of what occupies your time anyone who is doing anything should want to improve at it, to suggest or want to do otherwise is beyond stupid.

BffSatan at 6:37AM, July 12, 2010
(online)
EVERYBODY GET ANGRY AND YELL AT EACH OTHER!!!
RRRRRAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
RPGgrenade at 6:59AM, July 12, 2010
(online)
zaymac
I think the most important thing to realize from this discussion, is that I got a positive review from The Webcomic Review Comic on the web.

And that makes me awesome.
Finally! Someone who's Talking about something with relevance!! I hope i can get up there with the people who got great reviews… it'd make me feel like a god for about 3 seconds, but three seconds of being a GOD lol

The liquid creations of Gods passed down to man, but sometimes an object of the gods' realm can cause chaos in the mortal realm.
Read Nectar of the Gods!
harkovast at 7:00AM, July 12, 2010
(online)
BFFSatan- Can do!
RRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!

DrLuck at 9:27AM, July 12, 2010
(online)
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
RPGgrenade at 9:34AM, July 12, 2010
(online)
RAGGGGLE FLAGGLE MARRRRRGARAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!!!!!!!!1

The liquid creations of Gods passed down to man, but sometimes an object of the gods' realm can cause chaos in the mortal realm.
Read Nectar of the Gods!
Salsa at 9:49AM, July 12, 2010
(offline)
TFGM: Not trying to cut you down. Just trying to see if I can show you where Dr. Luck is coming from.

This is an excellent resource for what, exactly, is a style and why having a good grasp of how a realistic person looks.
This is a respected site where many pros in various mediums can be found. Just root around in here and look at some of the tutorials and some of the WIP threads.

I also tried to find an image I had a long time ago but seemed to have lost it. Anyway, the image was of a flow chart that showed how an artist progressed. Basically it went from this is my style to I need to continue improving. This brings me to the point Dr. Luck was trying to make. Saying something is my style is one of the big pointers to someone not really trying hard. Even if you have plateaued, you can still try to improve, that's how you break a plateau. Hark and Kev have given Author Ninja one area he can improve in, backgrounds. Try drawing them, keep working at them, hammer away at you deficiencies and try to improve. What Author Ninja said was, effectively, that he found it hard to draw backgrounds so he doesn't and that's part of his style. See the first link, and see why I called bullshit. I have problems with foreshortening, organic shapes in perspective, anatomy, especially under the arms and the back, inking, using my tablet, and form. Hark and Kev have a point about the art, it hasn't improved, or at least not an appreciable amount. MT started before DD crashed in 05, so that's over five years and no improvement.

From about 2005 ish, probably closer to 2003 or 2004.

From a few months ago.

Are there problems in the more recent one? Oh definitely. I'd even point them out if I thought I could find them all. My point is that having a five year plateau is pretty ridiculous unless you're extremely close to the same level as the old masters, and I'm sure they were always trying to improve. No offense, but Mob Ties is nowhere close to being at the level of the old masters. My point and the point Dr. Luck was trying to make is that Author Ninja basically said he wasn't even trying and he wouldn't. That's what set her off. Me? It was that and the condescending tone that the last sentence seemed to be in. If you like Mob Ties, then by all means read it, and if Author Ninja enjoys making it, then he is more than welcome to do so. I'll happily not read it and accept the fact that people enjoy it, otherwise Mob Ties wouldn't be in the top ten.
RAGE!
harkovast at 9:59AM, July 12, 2010
(online)
We seem to have hit a little bit of a nerve with Mob Ties author (understatement of the year)
and he has decided to express his thoughts on his own forum.
Why not go over and hear his side of the story?
While you are there, you can read him explaining about the manga he watches where a man turns into a hot woman and gets spanked till he/she has an orgasm that inspired the spanking scene in Mob Ties.
No really.

http://z11.invisionfree.com/Mob_Ties_Comic/index.php?showtopic=160

Also note that his rant, while very very funny, is prefixed with a lie.
The webcomic review comic has never and will never review comics at random.
We only review comics that ask for it.
Mob Ties' author requested to be reviewed, and he was.
Be careful what you wish for is the lesson there!

Salsa at 10:16AM, July 12, 2010
(offline)
Wow, I don't know what's sadder, the fact that uses a manga or an anime for all but two of his sources, or this guy's ego. I've just lost all the respect I had left for him after his post here.

Seriously, A good story will pull from multiple mediums and genres. He has two novels and a bunch of manga and anime as his inspiration.

And now that I find that this wasn't even a parody, I'm kinda disappointed with myself. To make the themes he mentioned work you have to have a good idea of where you're going and you can tell that he doesn't based on the comments from some of the later pages. Honestly, it makes a better parody than anything.
RAGE!
harkovast at 10:20AM, July 12, 2010
(online)
Yeah, he might have been better off keeping some of his taste in pornographic animation to himself!

RPGgrenade at 10:39AM, July 12, 2010
(online)
That scared me…. to a very large extent….must think of something awesome.
peanut-butter cups

Read Nectar of the Gods!
Author_Ninja at 10:47AM, July 12, 2010
(online)
harkovast
People who are arguing that mob ties represents Japanese culture-
No, it really really doesn't.
Other then a few cliche scenes the comic almost never gives the impression of being set in a foriegn land. Everyone acts thinks and lives exactly as they would if they were all American. If you substituted “Mafia boss” for Yakuza boss, the story would run just as well.

The only section of Japanese culture that seems to get much attention in this comic are-
1-The legal age to get married.
2-The uniforms worn by Japanese school girls for Gym.

Other then that, the Japanese setting is almost entirely unnecessary and mostly goes unnoticed. The fact there are no backgrounds doesn't help. This blank void could exist anywhere.

I feel this is an unfair statement for these reasons.

1- Yes, the marriage age is mentioned a lot at the beginning to help explain it. Yes, it's a major plot point. And they do get married in the comic, which then makes her of legal age. It seems that you're harping on something trying to make a point. But the point is, teenagers do have sex, in our culture as well as Japan. And once you are married you are OLD ENOUGH. A 16 year old gets married in Oklahoma with the permission of her caucasion parents, she is no longer underage she is Old Enough. By law.
2- Lay off the damn bloomers. It's a style of gym uniform I've seen in many anime, along with the one piece swimsuits with the name tags on them. They've only shown up in a few early comics, it's not like ever issue, of which there are 35, has the obligatory ‘Oh God she tripped and you see her gym uniform. Fetish comic! FETISH COMIIIC!!! Won’t someone think of the children?'. You're acting as if it's a major theme.

harkovast
The comics archive could be cut by a third if you got rid of all the filler, which gets beyond a joke. If you cant update taht much, change your schedule! Stop posting filler.

This is being addressed, filler is going to be removed to make it a smoother ride, and for your information, yes, there were about a hundred filler pictures. But considering I now have over a thousand pages, well…not exactly half. Invalid argument.

harkovast
I find the authors assertion that mika is “practically an adult” to be very creepy. Does that imply he considers all 15 year olds to be “practically an adult”?

TFGM suggests that this sort of thing is common in Anime. I would say that if this is true, then this is evidence of something horribly wrong with anime!
The fact that lots of pople are doing it does NOT make something okay!
If anime was full of racism would it be okay for you to put that in your comics?

First off, no. Don't start casting accusations about me or there will be ramifications.

Second off, your racism comment is interesting. Do you know how many racist cartoons there are in America? How many have had to be removed once other non-Caucasian races started gaining more power? What about if I had a comic about the revolutionary war and it had racist content? That would suit the times but would make people uncomfortable. A better example, Family guy. How much racist, offensive and distasteful stuff do they do? What about South Park? Futurama even? Do that mean that these shows are wrong and should be pulled?

This constant argument is starting to make you sound like a bigoted zealot with an agenda.
RPGgrenade at 10:53AM, July 12, 2010
(online)
You're not exactly making yourself sound any better, you know.

I'm glad I'm only 17 and not very interested in these “grown up” conversations..

Though they're starting to sound like the ones i used to have when i was 10 arguing about who broke the cookie jar (it was me)
“But, I wanted a cookie”
“Why does that mean you had to break it?!”
“Be-because it was a accident!”

P.S: Read Nectar of the Gods XD

Read Nectar of the Gods!
DrLuck at 10:57AM, July 12, 2010
(online)
Author_Ninja
This is being addressed, filler is going to be removed to make it a smoother ride, and for your information, yes, there were about a hundred filler pictures. But considering I now have over a thousand pages, well…not exactly half. Invalid argument.

So that's about 10% of the story being filler. So basically, one in every ten pages I read is filler. I get interrupted from the story every ten pages. It's quite valid, actually.

I honestly do want to see people improve, but if you're going to be arrogant and “I don't need to improve”-y about it, then damn, you're a lost cause.

Tell me, have you changed your comic format to be a proper print size like I told you in your topic awhile ago (since I'm presuming you wanted to make books), or is it still just web friendly?
RPGgrenade at 11:31AM, July 12, 2010
(online)
DrLuck
Author_Ninja

So that's about 10% of the story being filler. So basically, one in every ten pages I read is filler. I get interrupted from the story every ten pages. It's quite valid, actually.

I honestly do want to see people improve, but if you're going to be arrogant and “I don't need to improve”-y about it, then damn, you're a lost cause.

Tell me, have you changed your comic format to be a proper print size like I told you in your topic awhile ago (since I'm presuming you wanted to make books), or is it still just web friendly?
speaking of… what IS a good format for printing it in books? i'm curious for if i ever want to

Read Nectar of the Gods!
Happy Guy at 11:40AM, July 12, 2010
(offline)
Why does any of this matter??? Author-Ninja your better then arguing this shit.
and review jerks do you have better things to do then stur up shit??
I mean really were all intitled to our own thoughts.. good day :3
RPGgrenade at 11:48AM, July 12, 2010
(online)
Happy Guy
they aren't stirring it up…. and trust me… these are the nicest reviewers I've ever seen the reviews of

Read Nectar of the Gods!
DrLuck at 12:02PM, July 12, 2010
(online)
Happy Guy

Well, Author Ninja did volunteer for it, so stirring up shit was a request, if anything.

RPGgrenade
speaking of… what IS a good format for printing it in books? i'm curious for if i ever want to

It depends on how you do your art (sorta), if you do strictly traditional or if you also do digital things. With traditional, you have the leisure of being able to just scan your work again and have it at the right size. If you do digital, though, it needs to be the right size beforehand or you run into trouble.

For print-friendly books, your images should be 300 DPI (resolution). This means when you scan traditional, set your scanner so it scans at 300 DPI or higher. If you do digital strictly, make sure your document is at 300 DPI before you begin drawing. If you do a hybrid (like what I tend to do), scan the inks/pencils, and don't resize it any lower. You can always resize it smaller later as another file for web-use.

Also, your images should be big enough inch-wise. If you scanned your work at 300 DPI and don't resize it, your artwork size should be fine. If you're digital, though, look at how big your image is beforehand. Don't measure in pixels. Measure in inches. Personally, I'd recommend 11 by 17 inches just to be safe (you can always make your art smaller, but you can't make it bigger). If you're measuring in pixels, your pixels should be a couple thousand at least (mine tend to be a bit over 3000 pixels across after cropping and cleaning).

I say measure in inches, though, since that's easier to figure out for a book format. For example, I printed one of my books at 8 x 10 inches. 3000 pixels doesn't really tell me a lot. 11 x 17 does. I can just save a separate file at a lower size to fit that book. That way, if I wanna put the same image in a 11 x 17 book for example, I still got the big file for it.

Summary: 300 DPI, measure the image size in inches (I recommend 11 x 17 or something in that range), and when you want to have smaller images for the web or for smaller books, save a separate file for it and always have your biggest file around.
Salsa at 12:07PM, July 12, 2010
(offline)
Happy Guy
and review jerks do you have better things to do then stir up shit??
I mean really are all entitled to our own thoughts.. good day :3
fixed.

Dude, seriously, proofread before you hit send.
RAGE!
harkovast at 12:52PM, July 12, 2010
(online)
And so, author ninja comes down to the level of his supporters, throwing insults and even threats instead of having a real argument. The apple does not fall far from the tree, I guess.

Author Ninja, you just said that you think 15 year old's are “practically adults”.
I pointed this out and the fact that you were making a very creepy observation.
If you don't think they are “practically adult” don't say that.
Or there will be RAMIFICATIONS! (What does that even mean? Am I being threatened over the internet now?

There are lots of comics and movies and tv shows with racist content, you are right.
That does NOT make it okay! The fact that someone else does something does not mean YOU have to do it! You can think for yourself and not repeat the offensive mistakes of others.

Also a comic that deals with racism is very different from one that is just racist.

In the same way, dealing with issues of adults having relationships with children is a legitimate topic, but it is not a legitimate topic for smutty fan service and cheap giggles, which is what you do and what I find disgusting about your comic.

If your comic was done with live models posing for it of the ages the characters are meant to be, parts of it would be illegal. Think about that!

A bigoted zealot with an agenda?
Ummm, I guess I am bigoted against under aged fan service and not wanting to see naked kids is certainly an agenda I support.
I like that you tell me our review was just trolling and invalid while at the same time acknowledging you are making changes based on our recommendations. So we have helped make your comic better. So I just want to say- “You are welcome!”

And can I just remind everyone that despite what author ninja keeps trying to suggest- HE ASKED FOR THE REVIEW! If you didn't want to get criticised, don't ask people to criticise you! We have always been very open about how honest and harsh our reviews are, so you cant claim ignorance about what you were going to get from us! We'd done plenty of bad reviews before, and we've objected to offensive content before, so any surprise is your own fault.

Wordweaver_three at 1:10PM, July 12, 2010
(online)
At least somebody likes this comic.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon