The Webcomic Review Forum for the Webcomic Review Comic on the Web

Rectangles
ifelldownthestairs at 6:40PM, June 3, 2010
(online)
We thought this one was just plain awful. Anyone else?
you know why birds don't write their memoirs? because birds don't lead epic lives, that's why. who'd want to read what a bird does? nobody. that's who.
http://www.drunkduck.com/i_fell_down_the_stairs
last edited on July 18, 2011 10:15AM
Wordweaver_three at 11:23PM, June 3, 2010
(online)
I WANT to like it. Does that count?

I mean, I got through more pages of this one then I did of Ragnadventure.

Though I'm not sure if that's a measuring stick I should be using.
stinger9 at 1:39AM, June 4, 2010
(offline)
I, for the most part, agree with more or less everything you said in the review… Except I somehow managed to find a couple more problems:
1) 90% of the panels seem to be facing characters/objects/etc from a straight on angle. Although I have seen this work in some comics, this is not one of them. It just seems like the characters can only be drawn from one angle.
2) The action is almost impossible to follow, even with the most simple of actions. everything just seems to jump around, and I'm never quite sure what has actually happened.

However, I will say this, some of the character designs are pretty good, and the backgrounds seem to have far more effort put into them the actual characters.

Come to think of it, it kinda reminds me of my old comic from back when I first signed up, With the poor action sequences, every angle face on, etc.
zaymac at 4:52AM, June 4, 2010
(online)
I usually judge my hatred for a comic on whether after reading ten pages or so I wanted to punch something in the face.

This comic didn't give me that reaction, but it obviously needs work. If you're going to have constant dialog between people, you need to try out different angles so the conversation doesn't become boring for the reader. You need good dialog as well, but I found this online and use it every so often.

It gives you some basic ideas for panel design when writing conversation in comics.

It's a Grizzly Bear battling Zombies. Do you need to know more?
DOLLAR STORE HAIRCUTA daily webcomic of unfunny.
JediAnn Solo at 11:35AM, June 4, 2010
(offline)
I had such a hard time reading this– I honestly couldn't finish. The art didn't really bother me as much as the story itself. Sometimes bad art can be forgiven if you have good plot and dialogue to keep your reader entertained. But I was so bored! =(

I agree with Wordweaver. I DID want to like it. Some of the characters were pretty creative, in my opinion. I kept on hoping that their dialogue would become more and more intriguing as the comic grew.
harkovast at 5:35PM, June 4, 2010
(online)
Wow, we need to launch into much harsher reviews! They get much more response on our forum!

I guess saying this is the worst comic yet is perhaps slightly misleading, since bad comics are often bad in different ways, but never the less it was intolerably awful.
Many people expressed a feeling about it similar to what me and Kev went through. At first it seems really bad, but not as bad as some others. But the more you read, the more painful it becomes until it just makes you have to stop in disgust.

Zaymac, I love that guide to layouts, some really great tips there!

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
RPGgrenade at 9:36AM, June 5, 2010
(online)
It's one thing if you don't want to “go with the flow” of regular comics…
that doesn't mean it can't flow at all!

This guy is one step away from practically copying picasso here…

layouts are boring… actions… horrible, just horrible. And i could only find that the clothings sometimes had something decent about them.

And as previously stated, wtf with the lack of expression and panels always showing the exact same freaking angle for each character (the fact the eyes, nose and mouth are incredibly small on freakishly large bodies also helps in lowering any possible expression… like aliens who haven't used their facial muscles for millions of years tot he point they lack any expression(even then, there's a very good comic where aliens just like that can show some freaking expression))

etc…

The liquid creations of Gods passed down to man, but sometimes an object of the gods' realm can cause chaos in the mortal realm.
Read Nectar of the Gods!
Chernobog at 10:23AM, June 5, 2010
(offline)
Hark, it might be due to this being the most outright negative review that has people a bit curious, true. But again, that sort of opinion seems a bit less subjective this time through. The issues with this comic are fairly evident for most to see… there's a lot less middle ground opinion to be had about it.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
harkovast at 4:15PM, June 6, 2010
(online)
Don't worry chernobog, we wont start being mean for the sake of it!
But I'm glad it wasn't just us who got pissed off at this last one.

BffSatan at 11:27PM, June 6, 2010
(online)
This comic is kinda like what you'd get if you ate a diamond; a pile of shit, but at the very centre there is a small glimmer of something good. I kinda liked Raldo and his transformation thing, but it was just explained so badly.
Panel eight is hilarious
The dialog, art and paneling is just awful. I usually can't tell what's going on at all.
Still, I wouldn't say this is the worst comic ever, there are much worse.

Wordweaver_three at 1:03AM, June 7, 2010
(online)
BffSatan
I kinda liked Raldo and his transformation thing, but it was just explained so badly.
Panel eight is hilarious

I thought that was a bunny until I read the author's comments.
harkovast at 10:15AM, June 8, 2010
(online)
Bffsatan, thanks for that. A rabbit raping a purple blob.
My mind is officially blown!
There are indeed worse comics though, just wait for next weeks review…

Byth1 at 12:46PM, June 8, 2010
(online)
I judge a webcomic on how long it can hold my attention (there are like 100 paged comics that can hold my attention better than a 15 paged one). And Rectangles lost my attention after the first part of the story.
Updated every friday!
Updated every monday!
Plague Doctor at 5:00AM, July 5, 2010
(offline)
The wholl comic was just…strange
Yes,the infamous art can be partly justified ( I suspect the author doesn´t have a scanner or a tablet,and the only art program available was MS paint)

But the dialog…so confusing
So,the main character is hated in his hometown becouse he isn´t athletic and muscular,but he cant go to a gym becouse there is a huge security guard who wont let him becouse he isn´t muscular enough,so the guy blames him for his appearance….something happens…than he leaves the town and kicks a puma in the face…something happens…he befriends 2 scottish people…then he turns in a rabbit-werewolf and molests a pig creature…the gang talks about something,then they enter a portal.

Ok…I suspect the author is just a young kid who obiviously doesn´t know how comic storytelling works.And he was probably insipired by some kickass movie and rushed to make a comic about it without previously making any script or defined storyline and characterization.

I don´t blame Harkovast and Ifelldownthestairs for beeing harsh.The author signed up volontary for his review,and if he wants any kind of audience,he needs to improve his art and writing skills to make his storyline understandable ATLEAST.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon