Death P*rn Forum

A Confession
El Cid at 7:48AM, April 11, 2011
(online)
So… Death P*rn suddenly and inexplicably rocketed up to the #1 spot on Drunk Duck. Obviously, people didn't just all of a sudden realize how awesome my comic is and all start reading it. No, I have to confess, there was trickery afoot. Well, not really, but, ah hell let me explain…

After my comic hit the #12 spot, I decided to start dabbling in the black arts of advertising. Up until then I'd never bothered to advertise my comic outside Drunk Duck. I wasn't trying to do anything spectacular at first; just augmenting my regular viewership so the comic didn't die like it always does when the updates are slow in coming. But it worked too well. With just a couple of cheap, well-placed ads my viewership increased by almost five times as much.

And that was when the idea hit me to see how hard it would be to push my comic up to the very top of the heap with a couple more ads. It wasn't difficult at all, as it turns out. But now that I've done it, I'm not going to continue with the ads. It was just something I wanted to do.

And by the way, no, it's not cheating. All of the other Top Ten comics have ads and links all over the place out there on the web. Me doing the same thing is just leveling the playing field. Realistically, it'd be extremely difficult to maintain a Top 10 spot without bringing in an outside audience. The numbers you need to be bring in on a daily basis when you reach that level are pretty mind-boggling. To hit #1 I had to reel in more than 24,000 hits yesterday!

So, uh, yeah, I'll be going back to my crappy #40-something spot now, and happily so. But it was fun being #1 for a day! :)
last edited on July 18, 2011 10:14AM
jerrie at 8:13AM, April 11, 2011
(offline)
wow… you had 24,000 hits?????? amazing!
ghostrunner at 10:34AM, April 11, 2011
(online)
eh its not cheating. wwars arnt won on wishing
One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop.- g weilacher
Genejoke at 9:39AM, April 23, 2011
(online)
A lot of comics do a lot of advertising and still get nowhere near the top ten.

Coff, harkovast coff malefic coff…

Actually I think harkovast gets a lot closer than I ever have.

I don't do any of the facebook stuff or anything though.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon