Comic Talk and General Discussion *

The 'Five'
MrHades at 5:44AM, Oct. 11, 2011
(online)
Hello!
Am seeing a lot of people posting ‘5’ responses to pages. Isn't it time we gave that practice up now, as it had no real relevance anyway? What do you think? Suggestions for substitutions?
Hey, why not follow me on Twitter? User name: @THE_MrHades
Ozoneocean at 6:09AM, Oct. 11, 2011
(online)
I agree in principal, but the reality is that those people have nothing to say anyway, so if they don't “leave a five” then they won't put anything down at all.

I don't say that to disparage them, they're actually wanting to show their support and show that they read and appreciate the work, but they can't think of anything specific to say each time.

What would've been best for those guys is if there was a “like the page” button for each page next to the comment box that they could just press that would've performed the same function as the old “5” comments- i.e. put their avatar and name in the comment section next to a “like” symbol.
El Cid at 6:17AM, Oct. 11, 2011
(online)
A smiley face, maybe? Or they could just write “OK?”

The five itself had no serious relevance, but the fact that someone took the time to give the rating did matter. It was a way for people to give some feedback without having to come up with something interesting to say, which means they're able to visit more comics and authors get more responses from readers.
El Cid at 6:20AM, Oct. 11, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
…What would've been best for those guys is if there was a “like the page” button for each page next to the comment box that they could just press that would've performed the same function as the old “5” comments- i.e. put their avatar and name in the comment section next to a “like” symbol.
Yunno, that's actually what I initially thought the Like thing was gonna be for. Was a little confused why they went about doing it the way they did.
Genejoke at 6:54AM, Oct. 11, 2011
(online)
Yup I thought about the like button too.
Man in black just types “Great page” well either that or he really believes all the pages of mine he commented on are great..
the 5 is a quick an easy way of someone sayingt hey, still reading! Persoanlly I'm fine with it, expecially as we have no stats, at least you know people are reading. Sure comments are better but sometimes it's hard to think of something to say, I usually go straight for the gutter.
MrHades at 7:02AM, Oct. 11, 2011
(online)
Yeah, I'd rather see a ‘5’ than nothing at all. I/we now have no idea of how many times our pages are being viewed, so comments go a long way.
Hey, why not follow me on Twitter? User name: @THE_MrHades
Chernobog at 4:22PM, Oct. 11, 2011
(offline)
Likewise. I think we all prefer actual comments, but better a 5 than nothing. ‘Nothing to say, but good update/I support what you’re doing'. Goodness knows I type a 5 here and there.
Although, I've seen someone putting a 6 down these days… I can't help but wince a little. Maybe I should get creative too and type an ampersand or an o with an umlaut! Oddly, I prefer the 5 to a generic happy face.

Until a better method is implemented to respond to authors/readers or maybe Soberduck gets interactive linking stats working again sometime this millenium, expect this to continue casually amongst your fellow duckers.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
Eddie Jensen at 9:49AM, Oct. 12, 2011
(online)
how about “I have nothing to say” or “I approve of this message” or “that's coo” or “whatever”
or “keep up the good work” “darn tootin'” “may your life fill with joy.” “did you see that game yesterday? great game right? with the sport? and the athletes? I liked the winning team!”
“Jolly good show.”
“Aces”
“A million bows to you good sir.”
“ this comic did not cause me to revisit my breakfast, and for that I thank yo.”
Seriously they have nothing to say? pfft.
or “remember when we used to have votes?… now those were the days… NOSTALGIA FIVE!”
if I was a teapot I think I'd be orange.

http://t-k-.deviantart.com/
Zac at 10:37AM, Oct. 12, 2011
(online)
Eddie Jensen wrote:
how about “I have nothing to say” or “I approve of this message” or “that's coo” or “whatever”
or “keep up the good work” “darn tootin'” “may your life fill with joy.” “did you see that game yesterday? great game right? with the sport? and the athletes? I liked the winning team!”
“Jolly good show.”
“Aces”
“A million bows to you good sir.”
“ this comic did not cause me to revisit my breakfast, and for that I thank yo.”
Seriously they have nothing to say? pfft.
or “remember when we used to have votes?… now those were the days… NOSTALGIA FIVE!”
Eddie, eddie, eddie, eddie, Teek.
I liked when the top comics were determined by votes. It made a 5 a rare thing and gave all kinds of weight to the numbers. INSANITY. Until it was incredibly broken…that is.
Instead of a five, I'd like to see a brofist.
Eddie Jensen at 11:07AM, Oct. 12, 2011
(online)
Oh I agree with you Zac, most certainly. I just think that war is lost.
if I was a teapot I think I'd be orange.

http://t-k-.deviantart.com/
Chernobog at 2:26PM, Oct. 12, 2011
(offline)
Thinking it over more, I really do wish we had a new kind of rating or response log for comics here. I kind of like what DeviantArt has in that regard. It's more custom tailored to a specific reaction than merely just a generic happy or frowndy face. Or as someone else said, a tally of Likes for an individual page perhaps, which is essentially what the 5 translates to. It would probably look nicer than most posts being avatar + 5.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
Zac at 2:37PM, Oct. 12, 2011
(online)
Teek,I didn't even realize I had a signature on here.
How do I even…
I fixed it, but left that because it makes me laugh
last edited on Oct. 12, 2011 2:45PM
KAM at 1:25AM, Oct. 13, 2011
(online)
Back in the misty dawn of time when I signed up with the Duck the numbers all had a meaning, besides affecting your position on the front page.
IIRC
5 = I really like this comic
4 = I like this comic
3 = I neither like or dislike this comic
2 = I don't like this comic
1 = I really don't like this comic
Admittedly a number of people never read what the numbers were supposed to mean as a couple of times I saw comic creators chewing out people who dared give their comics a 4 (because it knocked them off the front page).
When I post with a 5 it's because I really liked the comic… & I couldn't think of anything else to say.
The KAMics - my cartoons
KAM's Fanart - fanart
KAMics Kast - cast pages

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon