BASO soup

What's in a name?
Genejoke at 7:10AM, Feb. 9, 2012
(online)
A lot of the names of characters, places and, well anything are references to books, films or TV shows that inspired BASO. Can you spot them?
El cid guess that Gage Early is a nod to Jubal early from the final episode of Firefly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Firefly_characters#Jubal_Early
Any others you've spotted?
Genejoke at 3:04AM, Feb. 11, 2012
(online)
Margo is sort of a nod to Margaery Tyrell from the song of ice and fire series.b It wasn't a conscious decision but i was reading the books when i created the character. She has little incommon with the character other than the name. I tried renaming her but nothing fit.
Genejoke at 5:15AM, May 8, 2012
(online)
The Berman system was named for Rick Bermana producer on various star shows.
chrisdotclark at 2:07AM, July 5, 2012
(online)
Finding names is always tricky. Up until recently I worked for a communicaions company and, when I came across a customer with an unusual name I would email it home! Septimus Pilgrim is an amalgam of two of those customer names and Robina Siddique (she hasn't appeared in the story yet) is the name of a colleague from many, many years ago.
Larkin is the maiden name of another colleague… Buttercup obviously came from the fact that she is twinned with Daisy. Weirdly, I found an actual Buttercup Larkin on Facebook a couple of months ago… even more weirdly, she is a dog (no, a real woof woof-type one).
When Lee Child first started writing the Jack Reacher books all the villains were named after former Aston Villa players - although he is now based in the USA, Lee is a brummie.
Going off at a tangent: re Firefly. A former colleague recommended this show to me about five years ago. The complete series DVD was on sale very cheaply at the time so, purely on his recommendation, I bought it. Every week the colleague (his name is Jason) would ask me: "Did you watch Firefly yet?“ and every week I would say: ”Not yet." That is still the case.
Genejoke at 4:59AM, July 7, 2012
(online)
Some names come easy, others… not so much. A lot depends on how definite an idea of the character I have when naming.
Allyndn at 6:26AM, Aug. 16, 2012
(online)
Genejoke wrote: Some names come easy, others… not so much. A lot depends on how definite an idea of the character I have when naming.<br /

I find most names come to me intuitively and only later to I realize why that name is significant. That said, one of my things to do for minor characters is to define them by one defining characteristic, then plug that characteristic into Google Translator and translate it into various languages until I see something that looks like the character's name.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon