Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA! 2013/2014
HippieVan at 8:44PM, Nov. 9, 2014
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
@Hippie-
In the past when I walked into hair salons with reference pictures, I only ended up with a hairstyle exactly how I wanted when the hairstylist spoke minimal English. Sometimes I just ask for the best cut for my face shape. I think the haircut you received looks cute, it is very Marion Cotillard-esque. Your eyebrows look GREAT and nicely shaped and good color.

Haha, you have no idea how much I appreciate that compliment! My eyebrows are naturally almost flat and practically invisible (same with my eyelashes…the hardships of being gingerish), so I'm forever battling with them.

I find when I let the hairstylist do whatever they like they tend to do something pretty generic/whatever's in style. Although the truly disastrous haircuts are always when I ask for something more specific. :P
A lot of the time, people are afraid of growing older and losing that youthful spark. I think that is a bunch of nonsense. When I was younger, I really thought things would be different. I thought I would be married by twenty-eight, but now I have so much more to offer in ways of experience. Just this week, I deboned and deskinned an entire whole chicken, I failed miserably at the same task in my early twenties. I baked a batch of brownie bites from scratch and sprinkled homemade powdered sugar on them. I feel that most of the challenges from one decade ago are still present, but I am much more prepared to handle them. I would not want to go back in time and trade everything I have learned so far in exchange for less gray hairs.
Happy birthday! That's a great feeling - to reflect on something that was difficult/impossible in the past when it seems so easy now. I find myself doing that a lot with pre- and post-panic disorder Hippie Van.

ozoneoceanwrote:
If I were you I'd go to a different place. Shop around. If you go to the same one they like to hand you back to the person who did your hair last because they imagine your hers and it's really awkward to ask for someone else. -_-

That's probably a good idea. My whole family has been going to this place since I was little and I think it's gone downhill quite a bit, most of the hairdressers who I really liked are gone now.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Lonnehart at 9:19PM, Nov. 9, 2014
(online)
Happy birthday, Kawaii!!! I guess that's another year lived. I think that's why we celebrate birthdays. Long ago it was all too easy to be taken out by disease, predators, or our fellow man. So we celebrated every year we're alive.

Okay… now I feel old. It's best not to let life pass you by. You could regret it later…

Now I have Five Nights at Freddys, but I want my sister to play it. Apparently motherhood has made it so she's no longer affected by horror movies. In fact, she's entertained by them. And I'm reading a lot of opinions of the game and most gamers feel that it's not a horror game at all. Makes me wonder if people are now so desensitized by video games that they've been rendered fearless…

Oh, well… back to playing Pocket Trains. It's a business simulation game based on railroads. Y'know… you go to a station, pick up a shipping job, take to its destination and get paid. Then you use that money to buy more trains and expand your railroad… And the best thing about that game? You don't need a constant internet connection to play it though you can still purchase their currency/items for real world currency if you want.
bravo1102 at 7:05AM, Nov. 10, 2014
(offline)
Happy B-day Kawaii! You share the same week of November as my wife, Sally Field and two of my ex-girlfriends.

@hippievan: your mother's problem has a name Seasonal Affective Disorder or SAD. They say it's caused by the shortening of the days and lack of sunlight. I say it's half that and how nasty people can be to each other when you're supposed to be happy. Holiday cheer! Bah humbug work sucked today and you spend too much money and the turkey is overcooked and you spoil the kids blah, blah…

I usually had a fever every holiday season as a little kid so most of my early holiday memories are of fever-sweat soaked flannel pajamas, cough medicine and a mountain of arguments to ignore. I got into the habit of waiting to answer mealtime until after the smoke od the verbal battle had settled. Even if that meant eating cold food. I don't have pleasant memories of the holidays otuside of Rankin/Bass specials,March of the Wooden Soldiers and A Christmas Carol. I force myself into a holiday mood by watching endless versions of A Christmas Carol and wondering at the change in Scrooge and why can't we be like that every day?
HippieVan at 8:03PM, Nov. 10, 2014
(online)
@Lonne: I downloaded Pocket Trains because of you! It's the kind of simple game that I find too distracting, though…I might have to delete it until this semester's crunch time is over. :P
bravo1102 wrote:
your mother's problem has a name Seasonal Affective Disorder or SAD. They say it's caused by the shortening of the days and lack of sunlight. I say it's half that and how nasty people can be to each other when you're supposed to be happy. Holiday cheer! Bah humbug work sucked today and you spend too much money and the turkey is overcooked and you spoil the kids blah, blah…

Nah, we're pretty familiar with SAD this far North (we even had one of those sunlight lamps when I was a kid) and that's not the issue. My mom had a really, really horrible childhood and actually functions amazingly well considering. But Christmas is just especially hard.

I force myself into a holiday mood by watching endless versions of A Christmas Carol and wondering at the change in Scrooge and why can't we be like that every day?

That's why Scrooge promises to try to keep the holiday spirit alive all year round! http://youtu.be/Bpb9EbmvM5M
Muppet Christmas Carol is my personal making-it-Christmas movie. ^_^
Ozoneocean at 8:06PM, Nov. 10, 2014
(online)
Happy birthday Kawaii! I totally missed that post. Thanks hippie for quoting it or I'd have never seen it.
Damn these forums…
I have some strands of grey at the temples, they blend with the blond so they're hard to notice usually. When I first got one back in 2011 I was quite shocked and pulled it out! Now I don't really care though.
I did notice more grey there during my recent trip with Bianka- I think she's a stressful person to be around so that probably contrubted, or it's just sun damage: http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2013/06/10/3778375.htm
The research is inconclusive to me!

Grey pubes are what you have to watch for though :D
Lonnehart at 10:20PM, Nov. 10, 2014
(online)
HippieVan wrote:
@Lonne: I downloaded Pocket Trains because of you! It's the kind of simple game that I find too distracting, though…I might have to delete it until this semester's crunch time is over. :P

Just one small tip if you're still playing it. To save on “bux” (the currency you can actually buy), don't play it for a while. The trains are refueled while they're in station, though slowly. Keep playing constantly and you'll be spending that currency to refuel your trains instead.

Still, it would be a good idea to not play it until you finish up with your schoolwork. Education first, y'know!

Great… now there's a demo of the next Five Nights at Freddy's coming out soon. And it's scarier than the first. The reason? There's a clown-like animatronic in it! Now Clowns and Animatronics don't creep me out to the point that I'm curled up in a ball asking for my mother, but I'd rather not be anywhere near them or have them anywhere in my sight…
bravo1102 at 10:21PM, Nov. 10, 2014
(offline)
With all my hair the color of steel wool it's no big deal, pubes and all. But my older brother just started going grey and I've been grey for decades is just not fair! I look so distinguished and ten years older than he does. It can't be stress because he's the one with kids and everyone knows that raising children turns you grey and makes the hair fall out.

My beard is so grey that a couple of days growth makes my face look metallic. It shines because the hair is such a silver grey.
kawaiidaigakusei at 4:36AM, Nov. 11, 2014
(online)
Happy Veteran's Day and Remembrance Day. Today is the eleventh day of the eleventh month, so at 11:11 AM there is usually a moment of silence. Canada really takes this holiday seriously. There are red poppy pins worn all over town and there even was a flypast/flyover in Ottawa last year.

Thank you for all the birthday wishes!

Bravo- you seem to know a lot of Scorpios. A lot of intense personality types there, like a balancing act of hot and cold. I ended up surrounding myself with a lot of Aries without even realizing it. The majority of my closest friends have birthdays in April.

On Christmas time- even though it is filled with cheer and family, the season itself can be a bit depressing. The financial obligation to purchase gifts or travel can be stressful. There was one Christmas day when it rained in LA. Every shop was closed and the streets were completely deserted. It was very lonely and sad, which is why I make a point to be with family during the holidays.

I went to try the “hottest buffalo wings” at a sports bar and the hottest wings were mild at best. They were delicious, but I was sorely disappointed because I was expecting tears from the burning. My heat tolerance is pretty high now.

So about gray hairs, I do not have that many, maybe around three or five, total. But there are times that I notice a really long white hair and I wonder how I missed it for so long. Pubes on the other hand, if those start changing color, then it is time to wax or pluck them all out.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
HippieVan at 9:24AM, Nov. 11, 2014
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
Happy Veteran's Day and Remembrance Day. Today is the eleventh day of the eleventh month, so at 11:11 AM there is usually a moment of silence. Canada really takes this holiday seriously. There are red poppy pins worn all over town and there even was a flypast/flyover in Ottawa last year.

Yep! A lot of people here start wearing their poppies around the beginning of November. And if you don't have one on Remembrance Day itself you're definitely a bit of a weirdo. There have also been some campaigns to wear white poppies, which emphasize peace as well as remembering those lost in war. The Sun (our Fox News equivalent) always goes nuts about them.

So about gray hairs, I do not have that many, maybe around three or five, total. But there are times that I notice a really long white hair and I wonder how I missed it for so long.

I've read in a few places that red hair doesn't go grey as such, but tends to fade to blonde and then white. I haven't been able to find any proper sources for that factoid, but my grandmother who apparently had similar hair to mine has stark white hair now, and it's pretty nice actually. I hope that's the case…I think the whole salt-and-pepper type greying would look very weird with my hair colour.
Ozoneocean at 8:53PM, Nov. 11, 2014
(online)
I like it: Bravo, the stailess steel man! You could be a superhero; your main attack will be to get naked, sop yourself up and scrub out crime! :D
That's an awesome idea… I'm thinking of another radioplay now with Stainlesssteel man as a character. My plays don't seem very popular, but they are fun to do once in a long while- they take WAY too much work so I don't like to do them often, especially when popular things like community contribution casts and inteviews are so much easier.

@hippie- I've see grey ginger hair and it's not pretty… but that may very likley have been dyed red hair. SO you're probably right about it going blone and then white.

Grey hair makes people look older than they are, but it also makes them look distinguished and respectable.
My dad had slat and pepper hair in his late 20s and was fully grey in his late 30s.
I definitely don't have his hair though. His natural colour was black, as was that of all his brothers and sisters except ONE brother who had a curly clown mop of ginger hair (now white). I take after my mum, who still has brown hair- there's plenty of grey spinkled through but it just lightens the brown.
bravo1102 at 3:54AM, Nov. 12, 2014
(offline)
There are different kinds of red heads. Lighter red-gold fades and then turns white (Henry VIII is an excellent example) Dark red like auburn can get grey then to white (Maureen O'Hara) Grey can be a way station to white. Blonde goes to white (my mother) Really dark brown to black goes to grey ranging from gunmetal to light grey (Me) This is all general rules of thumb and individuals vary a-lot! And rampant dying doesn't help. I have a friend who dyed his hair totally grey when he realized the grey hairs outnumbered the brown in his 30's. Like me he got his first grey as a teen.

Last family get-together we actually had a round table discussion on this. And with I-phones you can get instant expert opinions. lol. My sister finally admitted that her real hair color was the same dark, dark brown as mine which it hasn't been since she was in college in the 1970's. I suggested my mother go white and she occasionly grumbles she never should of. She looks great with white hair and there's something so fake about an 84 year old with perfect blonde hair. My brother who has sandier hair than my sister or myslef insists his hair just darkened to brown and has only recently started greying. I don't believe him.
bravo1102 at 4:49AM, Nov. 12, 2014
(offline)
ozoneocean wrote:
I like it: Bravo, the stainless steel man! You could be a superhero; your main attack will be to get naked, sop yourself up and scrub out crime! :D
Stainlesssteel man versus Mr. Oxide, General Tarnish and the Soap Scum twins. Stainlesssteel man's main attack would be his bristly steel beard, not being naked. Scrubbing pubes can be … painful.
Ironscarf at 8:33AM, Nov. 13, 2014
(offline)
I did a little research and can confirm that redheads never go grey.

On the subject of ageing, Mrs Scarf reached her half century today. I asked her if she felt any closer to enlightenment. She squinted at her magazine and said she definitely needed more light.
Very soon I'll reach that same milestone but I don't feel like I've really gotten started yet. I should probably start soon.
last edited on Nov. 13, 2014 8:34AM
Lonnehart at 8:09PM, Nov. 13, 2014
(online)
Okay…. Five Nights at Freddy's 2 is now out. Two months early. wow… the creator of the game apparently isn't patient. But I guess waiting 3 days get approval for a demo release is too long. Or he's messing with our minds again. The game itself is billed as a sequel, but… well..

However, the horror is reduced by quite a bit. The first game was scary due to some of its more quieter moments when none of the mosnters were near you. The second game has you concentrating on so many things that the horror doesn't sink in. Kinda like you're meleeing a zombie but only realize a while later that the top half of its head is missing…

And then there are those players who tell me that a game is not a proper horror game unless it has zombies and shotguns in it. What kind of gamers is society producing this day and age?!?

Oh… and a parody…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20musPh8lXI

Enjoy! :)
Peipei at 9:01PM, Nov. 13, 2014
(offline)
Lonnehart wrote:
Okay…. Five Nights at Freddy's 2 is now out. Two months early. wow… the creator of the game apparently isn't patient. But I guess waiting 3 days get approval for a demo release is too long. Or he's messing with our minds again. The game itself is billed as a sequel, but… well..

However, the horror is reduced by quite a bit. The first game was scary due to some of its more quieter moments when none of the mosnters were near you. The second game has you concentrating on so many things that the horror doesn't sink in. Kinda like you're meleeing a zombie but only realize a while later that the top half of its head is missing…

And then there are those players who tell me that a game is not a proper horror game unless it has zombies and shotguns in it. What kind of gamers is society producing this day and age?!?

Oh… and a parody…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20musPh8lXI

Enjoy! :)
Wow, he sure didn't waste any timeAnd am I a weirdo for laughing at the jump scare portions of FNAF? I dunno what it is, maybe its the chuck e cheese-esque factor that made it funny for the bf and me. :s

Lonnehart at 2:33AM, Nov. 14, 2014
(online)
HAHAHAHA!!! I didn't realize I had $3 left in my Google App store account. So I have it. The horror is definitely reduced by having so much to concentrate on. And It'll probably lag during the “jumpscares” like FNAF1 does which takes a bit more bite out of the game.
I guess everyone has a different reaction to this game. Animatronics and clowns don't creep everyone out. Funny thing is… some of the games made in the U.S. creep Japanese out. The culture apparently prefers stylized graphics in their games, so when a U.S. game comes with with realistic looking human models they get creeped out. Though less so nowadays…

Now if only I could take my own Maglite into Freddy's pizza place while on the job. And then shove it right into the Puppet's face. Because I hate that thing. I really REALLY hate that thing…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60wLvPWXCCc#t=13m25s

Oh… I should mention that contrary to what a lot of people say, that reviewer may NOT be exaggerating his emotions… he suffers from Automotonophobia…
last edited on Nov. 14, 2014 2:38AM
HippieVan at 11:20AM, Nov. 15, 2014
(online)
My student group had our annual mixer the other day. It was mostly really good…lots of profs showed up this year, which was nice. I also had a long conversation with a girl who I think I could be good friends with.
Somehow, though, it ended up with the newest member of the association yelling at everyone in the room that we were the snidest, most rude and opinionated people he had ever met and storming off. Fortunately this was after the profs had left. He had been in a group of people on the other side of the room before this happened so I still have no idea what caused it, but apparently it was bad enough that it coloured his opinion of all of us. O.o

It was kind of shocking when it happened but mostly hilarious in retrospect.
Lonnehart at 8:34PM, Nov. 15, 2014
(online)
wow… with all the clues and plot twists of Five Nights at Freddy's 2, plus the date of the check you recieve after finishing the five days, the game is obviously a prequel to the first.

I guess the world is full of people like that… they stick to what they think is right up to the point of denying the existence of the evidence that they're wrong… even if they're looking at said evidence which is consistently provable… or something…
last edited on Nov. 15, 2014 8:36PM
Ozoneocean at 7:43PM, Nov. 16, 2014
(online)
Wow Hippie! Ha!
You have to wonder why someone would embarrass themselves like that. There probably wasn't much of an offense against the individual, it's more likley that they have some sort of emotional or mental issue… that's my opinion at least. That's pretty unusual behaviour.

——-

I spent most of my weekend sewing, adding nice silver stripes to the cuffs of my hussar dolman.- I had to alter those damn cuffs anyway, the white part has always been way too long and the sleeves were too short. So now all that is fixed! Sleeves the correct length, the white parts have been shrunken right down, and the silver stripes give it a captain rank (best sounding rank ever), while looking lusterous and shiny as only metalic wire braid can. SO much nicer than the mylar stuff it originally came with.

While working on it I realised I've spent thousands on that damn outfit, it's probably the most unique and expensive hussar outfit in my whole state. Also- I know know exactly why it costs so much to have the whole thing fully custom made to spec: because when you do it yourself it costs pretty much exactly the same anyway and takes forever to do.

——=

This week's Quackcast was about Hippie's newspost about showing inner turmoil in webcomics, we had Pitface and Tantz as guests to help talk about it, then we did a vid chat afterwards and Banes actually joined in! We all saw the ellusive specimine in full motion. An amazing expereince.
bravo1102 at 5:53AM, Nov. 17, 2014
(offline)
There was a brief moment of enlightenment and then the darkness enshrouded everything once more. What memory there was of what had been glimpsed in that brief flicker of light soon also faded and ignorance reigned once more.
Lonnehart at 4:09PM, Nov. 17, 2014
(online)
Alright! I GOT IT!!!
….

waitaminute.. what did I get again?
Kroatz at 6:50AM, Nov. 18, 2014
(online)
Well, hey guys. It's nice to see that a lot of you are still around, brightening up the internet.
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
bravo1102 at 1:19PM, Nov. 18, 2014
(offline)
Captain? Aw come on Oz! be a colonel! Now this is a hussar uniform! Colonel 5th Hussars 1805. THis guy walks in and the girls are all over him.
Call Me Tom at 1:54PM, Nov. 18, 2014
(offline)
So I have this blister full of blood on my left hand shuld I prick it with a pin?
I'm sorry for any offence I cause.
Ironscarf at 2:27PM, Nov. 18, 2014
(offline)
Got any leeches?

(Hi Call Me Tom and Kroatz).
last edited on Nov. 18, 2014 2:28PM
Genejoke at 3:01PM, Nov. 18, 2014
(online)
@callmetom, stab it. kill it to death!!!! period!
had to get that last in there just for ozone.
Kroatz at 3:36PM, Nov. 18, 2014
(online)
Hey Ironscarf.

- - -

Okay, Tom. I think it depends on the cause of the blister. If you burned yourself, google the answer. If you have a disease, consult every doctor. If it's just a stupid friction blister, poke it, and keep it clean. If you were abducted by aliens and woke up with a blister, let it grow until the alien pops out. If you drew it on yourself with a marker or pen, cut off the affected skin with a sharp knife.
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
Ozoneocean at 7:33PM, Nov. 18, 2014
(online)
So gross…
Don't forget to sterilise that horible thing Call-me-Tom!

Hi Kroatz, Hi Call-me-tom. :)

———

@Bravo- No way! That's a very nice uniform, but the braid that rank represents costs at least $200 (as a rough estimate, it's probably more with the beaches), and many days of fiddly work.
So soon as I've finished putting buttons on the cuffs my next project is a white hussar waistcoat, in the style of Adam Ant for that highwayman song, -or that spanish lady spy from the wolf hussar episode of Sharpe. :)
I just need the russia lace and the white fabric.
bravo1102 at 7:47PM, Nov. 18, 2014
(offline)
And the illustration is missing the braid and flounders on the pelisse cord and the heron feathers in the shako plume. I had to double check my references because I''m thining of doing one of my miniatures in that uniform. Love the colors. His full dress had sky blue breeches instead of white and black fur on the pelisse. One could spend a lifetime just doing hussars.

As for blisters? Poke it, squeeze it and cauterize it. Simple.
ayesinback at 8:07PM, Nov. 18, 2014
(online)
Call Me Tom - Transcend the blister and become one with It (caunt beLieve the Enlightened Chaps did not so advise).

Kroatz, your email sent me a link to a pyramid scheme web site. I'm sure of this because You wouldn't be so silly yourself. Kindly heal the hackery of thine account.

And my happy news? I think I've been offered the job of being the voice of a hospital. The Voice of a Hospital …I doubt the script will be as *interesting* as the possibilities suggest.
You TOO can be (multiple choice)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon