Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Copyrights and the Duck
plymayer at 11:33PM, Dec. 17, 2014
(online)
I have some stupid questions.
What is the current state of creator ownership of copyright for things (artwork/comics) posted to Drunk Duck?
This is from the stated policy:

“Copyright and Authorized Use
All materials contained in this website (”Website Materials“) including comic strips, books, art, illustrations, images, or text are trademarks or copyrighted materials owned and controlled by WOWIO, Inc. or its subsidiaries, affiliated entities and/or third-party licensors and/or individual creators, and are protected by applicable trademark and/or copyright law.”

Do the artwork and comics posted on DD become the property of Drunk Duck or Wowio?
I always thought the site itself belonged to Wowio: Advertisements, banners, etc. But that the creators retained individual ownership of the respective intellectual property.
Not, trying to be goofy or anti-duck. Someone brought this up and so I went looking around on the site. Now, I'm curious.
kawaiidaigakusei at 1:47AM, Dec. 18, 2014
(online)
The Duck Help Site answers this question and many more FAQs.

Here is the link to this specific topic:

https://sites.google.com/site/theduckhelp/about-the-site/do-i-still-own-the-rights-to-my-comic-once-i-upload-it-to-the-duck

Hope it helps or at least eases your mind a bit.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
plymayer at 3:41AM, Dec. 18, 2014
(online)
Thank you. That clears it up for me.
KimLuster at 4:27AM, Dec. 18, 2014
(online)
Wow!! Ha, ya know I probably should've read such stuff before hosting here!! Anyway, it's good to know the creators still own their stuff!!
Ozoneocean at 6:49PM, Dec. 18, 2014
(online)
Yeah, that “ownership” wording is about stuff that was specifically paid for or made as part of a work agreement WITH wowio, like Hero By Night.

It has nothing to do with any creator produced content of any kind:
Not comics, not avatars, not forum posts, profile blurbs or anything. All that is 100% owned by the people who created them.

In any case- no website has the ability to take over your copyright just from a simple tickbox, That would never stand up in court.
Kroatz at 1:14AM, Dec. 19, 2014
(online)
I thought it might just be for promotional purposes. A small clause that gives DunkDruck the right to use people's comics to promote the site. The same thing applies with my school work, which is owned by my school, but is still kind of mine too…
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
Ozoneocean at 3:55AM, Dec. 19, 2014
(online)
Kroats, that would be a limited use clause, not owbership. That might be in some other part of the agreement somewhere.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon