Comic Talk and General Discussion *

2015 Rant/Share/General Discussion thread
HippieVan at 9:11PM, Jan. 14, 2015
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:

I was referring to a picture you posted on the forum a loooooong time ago of one cat and one rabbit on a cat tree! I thought it was adorable because I did not know that lagomorphs knew how to climb those things.

I had forgotten about that! He hasn't done that in a while, at least as far as I know. That was pretty funny because he was climbing it kind of secretively…usually I would catch him there in the middle of the night.

Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Kroatz at 12:23AM, Jan. 15, 2015
(online)
Dolphins are evil. Google it.
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
Ozoneocean at 12:43AM, Jan. 15, 2015
(online)
Like dogs, elephants, and hippos the mouth of a dolphin is stuck in a permenant psuedo-grin so people anthropomorphise them into happy, joyous creatures, no matter what they do…
But it's a lie! They're nasty, cold, greedy, hard-bitten fish-goblers!

They can be friendly and playful, but no where near as much as we imagine from the fixed, fake smile. Mostly they just want fish, REALLY badly.

They're lovely creatures to see in the wild though, like seals, dear, kangaroos, whatever. Just remember that their reputations are massively exagerated and often false.
Kroatz at 1:28AM, Jan. 15, 2015
(online)
Evil. They rape, do drugs (living drugs), kill babies, gang rape, normal rape, interspecies rape, kill better than sharks do, abuse women, NEVER SLEEP, drag people under water, and they KILL BABIES!

- Albert Einstein
Ironscarf at 3:58AM, Jan. 15, 2015
(offline)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
Is the functional purpose of this to hold pieces of toast upright after they have been removed from the toaster? I have never seen one of these used in my life. It looks like it belongs in a museum in an exhibit for Marcel Duchamp's ready-mades with placard that says “Untitled Rack #3”.

Indeed it is! Once the freshly toasted slices are installed in the rack, they are kept apart and air can circulate properly, ensuring a crisp slice with no hint of soggyness. What could be worse than limp and slippery toast before the butter has even had a chance to get aquainted?

And they look rather nice too of course. I didn't realise this was a mostly British thing. Next you'll be telling me you all don't have kettles!

kawaiidaigakusei at 6:15AM, Jan. 15, 2015
(online)
@Hippie- Yes! That is the same one. I love how the rabbit (Romeo?) managed to climb inside the cardboard box.

@Ironscarf- All this talk about toast, toast racks, etc. inspired me to toast a piece of bread with real butter (minus the toast rack). I believe the Brits are on to something–it was Delicious! I do not use a tea kettle because they are difficult to clean, so I just boil water in a covered saucepan and pour it in a teapot.

@bravo- Haha at the “bread free of shackles” comment.

Alright, I just perused through some articles on the dangers of dolphins and watched a few youtube videos of dolphins attacking women. The verdict: hilarious.

The “living drugs” dolphins eat to get high are pufferfish. I especially like reading the comments that go along with the dolphin “attack” videos.

Dolphins were my elementary school's mascot. I also grew up with the film “The Big Blue/Le Grand Bleu” which told the story of a deep sea diver who fell in love with a dolphin even though a real life female (Rosanna Arquette) loved him even more. He ends up choosing the dolphin over the human woman at the end and heads out to the open ocean.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on Jan. 15, 2015 6:46PM
bravo1102 at 7:06AM, Jan. 15, 2015
(offline)
Ironscarf wrote:

And they look rather nice too of course. I didn't realise this was a mostly British thing. Next you'll be telling me you all don't have kettles!

We do. In fact it's a cat kettle since we can't have a real live cat.

we call it “dribble kitty” It dribbles but it's so cute. It's also getting rusty so it's getting time to replace it.
Ozoneocean at 10:28AM, Jan. 15, 2015
(online)
I'm currently making my barrel sash mark two.
The first one was made from nice thick parracord with the barrels made out of sawed bits of steel curtain rod wrapped in decorative soutache cord.
This one is being made of 131 meters of 3mm black soutache looped back and forth 28 times. That is a CRAPLOAD of cord. It's slipperry so it's hard to hold and black so it's hard to see. The barrels are made from braided silver bullion thread, which is basically coiled wire in tight little springs. It's amazingly hard to work with. Exhausting. I haven't finished one of the barrels yet and I still have 17 more to go after this T_T

————

I have a toast rack, I never use it though, I like my toast to be juuuuust warm enough, not cold. I stack the slices on my plate just so… sort of slihtly overlapping and they cool to a temp they they don't met the margarine but are just warm enough to be nice.
They use toast racks a lot in hotels around about the place. I'm surprised Kawaii doesn't recall running into one?
Skullbie at 12:43PM, Jan. 15, 2015
(online)
First time ive ever seen a toast rack as well. It's amazing how many inventions they seem to make for cooking (all the as seen on tv stuff) yet cant make me a microwave that cooks things to the tempature they need to be at.
————–
So I import a lot of stuff from asia since I collect figures and stuff. Most of the time my stuff is shipped by air so I get it pretty fast, but I recently made two expensive orders that had to be shipped by sea. All of the USA's asia imports come through boat at the port of california…where a huge strike is going on. -_- It's affecting tons of businesses right now, stuff is stuck in containers on boats because the dock workers wont unload it. I was supposed to recieve them three weeks ago.

Most frustrating thing is I'm getting mixed news every other day saying the strike is ending and stuff is back on schedule, only to get more news that its in full effect and my stuff wont be leaving til march. Gah. Oh well at least I don't live in some awful place like argentina where I can literally only recieve two import packages a year.
last edited on Jan. 15, 2015 12:46PM
kawaiidaigakusei at 1:27PM, Jan. 15, 2015
(online)
I have been to High Tea, cruise ships, and luxury hotels, but I have never seen a toast rack. Most of the ones sold on ebay ship from the United Kingdom, so it is definitely a regional thing. Also, toast is not really an everyday staple in the US. Two triangular cut pieces of bread served on a small plate usually come as a side to accompany breakfast. Jam and bread/butter and bread are not really eaten as a main course.

But when bread is delivered to a table at non-breakfast restaurants, it is served as un/sliced rolls with butter and served in a basket lined with a cloth napkin.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
ayesinback at 4:05PM, Jan. 15, 2015
(online)
I've seen toast racks in photos before, but like Kawaii, have yet to see one in RL, and I shop those kitchen stores! I don't intend to get one, though, because we generally just make toast individually, and a rack for two slices would be just another item to clean.

@Bravo: That kettle is Adorable, and as allergy-free as cats can get. But it doesn't quite seem properly regimental. Ah then, what do I know of tea time in tanks?
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
Ironscarf at 2:28AM, Jan. 16, 2015
(offline)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
@Ironscarf- All this talk about toast, toast racks, etc. inspired me to toast a piece of bread with real butter (minus the toast rack). I believe the Brits are on to something–it was Delicious! I do not use a tea kettle because they are difficult to clean, so I just boil water in a covered saucepan and pour it in a teapot.

I don't know why we're here, or what the this journey is really all about, but if I can bring a little bit of toast into the life of a fellow traveller, that's good enough for me.

And finding out about Bravo serving tea and toast to his tankmates with the aid of his kittycat kettle, deep in enemy territory while mortar shells explode all around - the man deserves the highest possible commendation for bravery. Which should look like this:

bravo1102 at 6:35AM, Jan. 16, 2015
(offline)
Drinking tea on tanks has a long history. The British invented tanks. “Tankies” and Monty in the Western Desert and the little known fact that all British tanks since 1945 have had installed tea making facilites.
The US Army just gives you instant coffee. Might as well bring tea bags certainly tastes better in hot water than instant coffee. The water is NEVER hot enough for all the coffee to dissolve. Can't you just issue me coffee beans like they did in the Civil War? Pour the hot water thrugh a sock better than Maxwell House instant. Or drink tea. I even had a real British issue personal cooker “tommie cooker”
JustNoPoint at 6:58AM, Jan. 16, 2015
(online)
Well, I got myself banned from Comic Fury too Iron Scarf and Skullbie. I didn't mean to do so. I didn't know I was doing it. But I did it :S

http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fcomicfury.com%2Fforum%2Fviewthread.php%3Fid%3D20066%26page%3D2
I bet the ban list is gigantic there.

I miss old DD. I want to just post my comic here (which I actually am :P) but I want it to be my main site again. I miss being able to edit our html. I miss being able to link to my comic here and be proud it's hosted here. I miss having a large community that tries to build each other up. Allows diverse opinions. A site and community that tries to promote the comics it hosts and isn't just a host/hub that happens to have a forum on it.
I miss Used Books, and Amanda. School Monkey, OzoneOcean, Greyman, Patrick Devine, Due East, Skullbie. I miss that comic that used all the same images to make their comic that everyone hated and it was always number 1 and had the most volatile comments section in history.

I miss Charby calling this home. Going to conventions with fellow DDers.

I miss all you guys I'm not listing. I miss these forums having more than 1 active thread! I miss the awards, and being excited about featured comics.

I don't know. Should I just post my comic and not worry about getting as big as I was back in our prime? Not having the audience I had. Do comics here still get large followings of commenters with who all is left?

I have access to everything on this bloody site. I'm even a frikin admin and I feel I can't do anything. I should be using the admin powers to help Ozone, poor guy is such a trooper. I feel so lost man, y'know.

Anyway, I don't know why I started going into all that. I just want you guys to know I loves ya! I really need to think of a way to use all the access I have to get this site back on track. Start saving money or something to hire a coder (are we at a place that could even be possible Oz?)

I don't know how the ads thing would work. Old DD had ads. I never minded them. I'd think if the site could gain more visitors the amount of ads could actually go down just a bit?

I guess that's my general discussion for the day.
last edited on Jan. 16, 2015 7:00AM
kawaiidaigakusei at 9:04AM, Jan. 16, 2015
(online)
@JNP-

You will always be welcomed home, here. You gave Drunk Duck a +1 elixir when you brought it back to life in 2013. Also, I have not heard the word “omnislash” since the ending of Final Fantasy VII that I have a sudden urge to hook up my playstation and play that game again.

People come and people go, and sometimes life just decides to happen one day. The people and comics you listed bring me back to early 2008 when that site was going through that Platinum redesign, the site was colored gray, even then with customizable html coding, there was still something to gripe about. I remembered your collaboration team comic, Off-Hours, you had your own friendly niche here (we all did) and it was much easier to hide in our comics or in the forum. I also remember PowerUp Comics, which just started updating recently but with a new art style, original drawings and a more mature rating.

Maybe it was timing, Drunk Duck was at its high point 7-8 years ago, but I also remembered the end of 2008 when the housing market bubble burst, jobs were scarce, and people had to decide whether to find a job, work extra hours, get married, start a family, take care of aging family, or lose their home, and comics were put on the backburner.

usedbooks, ozoneocean, and Skullbie are definitely still around. Some people leave and then come back when the timing is right again and they have the same time to devote to comics, some people just leave and never come back. But that's life and Drunk Duck is not immune from it happening to it, either.

I, too, remember the old school friends I made on here and I miss the stories, but I have made new friends with more awesome people, which is why I weather the storm.

I am happy you are back and I am hopeful that more of Drunk Duck's original gangsters will return as well.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on Jan. 16, 2015 11:12AM
Ironscarf at 9:15AM, Jan. 16, 2015
(offline)
Love that tea and tank pic!

JustNoPoint wrote:
Well, I got myself banned from Comic Fury too Iron Scarf and Skullbie. I didn't mean to do so. I didn't know I was doing it. But I did it :S

Don't forget Bravo, he's banned too! All the best people are banned from ComicFury so pull up a seat and join the party. One day this place will be fixed - or not, but the company is good!

Having looked at that thread, I couldn't really work out what you got banned for. I'd guess you upset one of his current favourites, whoever that might be at the moment. Even I was one of his favourites once. He'll be reading this now of course - you should read my comic Kyo, it's nothing but a thinly disguised allegorical retelling of the four years of my life you stole before casting me aside and callously trashing my reputation just for kicks. And all because I made fun of you in a silly cartoon. The moral of this tale - don't draw the prophet kids.
Kroatz at 9:44AM, Jan. 16, 2015
(online)
I don't think I was here for the best days of DD, but I've been there for better days than these. Over the years, I sort of left the internet a few times, instead taking my entertainment from paper comic books, or movies, or poetry, or documentaries, podcasts, the outdoors, religion, photography, or… You know, writing. But I always got back to DD.

DD is filled with good memories. I remember a lot of good comics, and a lot of bad ones. I remember all the goofballs that were just hanging around the games section of the forum, playing Mafia, and trolling the forums.

I'm trying to help out, and the 2015 DD Radioplay is one of the ways that I can. And if I come up with other ways, I'll try them too. And maybe, in a few months, or years, DD will be as cool as it once was, even if it's different from the way it was before.

- Albert Einstein
ayesinback at 11:00AM, Jan. 16, 2015
(online)
When the DD renaissance is once again in full flourish, I hope we'll have the ability to have a “like” button – because I really like some of the thoughts that were just presented about the site

In the Woot arena, I just got feedback on a voice audition that required an Irish accent from a 30-something female. Nailed it! So did two others, but I was shocked that they liked mine. *zazazingmoment*
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
Skullbie at 2:21PM, Jan. 16, 2015
(online)
Damn I just skimmed through that link and could barely breath from the insufferableness. Also was pretty gross to watch kyo get off from people circlejerking, now i need eye bleach.

I miss that comic that used all the same images to make their comic that
everyone hated and it was always number 1 and had the most volatile
comments section in history
Powerup comics! Yeah I miss that one a lot. Most of the strips didn't even make sense but the comments were so angry and abusive lol.

Comments section was nothing compared to craving control. *shudders*
last edited on Jan. 16, 2015 2:28PM
bravo1102 at 4:13PM, Jan. 16, 2015
(offline)
Skullbie wrote:
Damn I just skimmed through that link and could barely breath from the insufferableness. Also was pretty gross to watch kyo get off from people circlejerking, now i need eye bleach.

I just imagine kyo as this guy and it makes life so much easier.

VHAT IS THIS MAN DOIN-INK HERE!!! (That's you friendly neighborhood Gestapo commadant Major Hochstetter from Hogan's heroes) Have trouble with someone on a power trip from a European country? Put them into a World War II comedy show about a POW camp and it'll make you feel so much better.

I mean on a Quack cast they were going on about German accents and I went into an entire improv as Hochstetter, Klink and Schultz from Hogan's heroes and got tears in my eyes form laughing so hard. H-Hooo-gan! I KNOW NUTH-INK, NuTH-INK!
last edited on Jan. 16, 2015 4:19PM
JustNoPoint at 8:03PM, Jan. 16, 2015
(online)
I'm going to actually reply to all of you as soon as I can till then, Bravo… Why on earth did you get banned there too???
What the heck is wrong with Kyo's brain that makes him so oppressive? Oppression Fury!
Ironscarf at 4:02AM, Jan. 17, 2015
(offline)
I wasn't aware of Powerup Comics. I just read those new updates and I have no idea what is going on, but the author notes are a work of genius!
Kroatz at 2:36AM, Jan. 18, 2015
(online)
I never could get behind the following that Powerup Comics amassed. You might follow it because you think the jokes are funny, but there's obviously funnier comics around. You might follow it because you like the persona that Shadow built around himself, but then why read the comic pages? You might follow it because you like to hate how bad it is, but then why not find something even worse? I just don't get it…

- - - - - - -

Dolphins are evil.

- - - - - - -

Did you guys know that science is actually pretty cool? Who new, right? I've just been explained how a gas mass spectrometer works. And you know, it works on SCIENCE! I now also know how a magnet works, and it works on SCIENCE! The Earth's rotation and place in the universe? SCIENCE! The human eye? You guessed it, people… The human eye works on… MAGIC! Not science, sadly, because the human eye was created by intelligent design, AKA MAGIC!

- Albert Einstein
Ironscarf at 3:49AM, Jan. 18, 2015
(offline)
You know how magnetism works? I thought nobody really knew how magnetism worked, or am I thinking of gravity? I don't think anybody knows how gravity works, or even what it is, or why you don't get those clip together toys in your cornflakes anymore.

JustNoPoint wrote:
I don't know. Should I just post my comic and not worry about getting as big as I was back in our prime? Not having the audience I had. Do comics here still get large followings of commenters with who all is left?
I have access to everything on this bloody site. I'm even a frikin admin and I feel I can't do anything. I should be using the admin powers to help Ozone, poor guy is such a trooper. I feel so lost man, y'know.
Anyway, I don't know why I started going into all that. I just want you guys to know I loves ya! I really need to think of a way to use all the access I have to get this site back on track. Start saving money or something to hire a coder (are we at a place that could even be possible Oz?)
I don't know how the ads thing would work. Old DD had ads. I never minded them. I'd think if the site could gain more visitors the amount of ads could actually go down just a bit?
I guess that's my general discussion for the day.

I've personally found it much more satisfying posting my comic here again. There's just something about the spirit of the place and I hadn't realised how much I'd missed it. I have a handful of subscribers and you could probably get a lot more if you worked on it, but page customisation is limiting and there's no ability to add additional pages for character bios and such.
Also stats don't seem to work and there's no way to add your own counter, so you're pretty much in the dark as far as how many are actually reading your comic. That said, I still get the sense that it would all burst into flower again with a little irrigation. I'm sure if this forum was fixed and didn't require a diploma in quotation, it would all kick off within a few days. Even the missing widget at the bottom of the forum that told you who was online - these little homely touches make all the difference.
bravo1102 at 3:59AM, Jan. 18, 2015
(offline)
Kroatz wrote:
SCIENCE! The human eye? You guessed it, people… The human eye works on… MAGIC! Not science, sadly, because the human eye was created by intelligent design, AKA MAGIC!
So that's why the fundmental design of the human eye is so flawed! Intelligent design! That so explains why humans have a giant blind spot in the middle of their vision from where the blood vessel enters the eye, why is it so easy and common for the lens to be mal-formed causing near or far sightedness. Of course only a deity would design something so messed up! And since humans are so beloved of this diety other “lower” species have much better developed eyes because they “just” evolved" not made in a special act of creation.

Then there's the human back… don't get me started on how poorly designed that is as a weight bearing artifice for bipedal walking. Works great if we walked on all fours but our arms are too short. Once again great foresight by the intelligent design of our creator! It's almost as if he took a bunch of pieces from animals already made and adopted them through some slow process to get at current human anatomy… wait that describes evolution by natural selection. Can't be. Heresy.

Currently reading The Hidden History of the HUman Race (the condensed edition of Forbidden Archeology) which describes analomous discoveries in the fossil record of anatomically modern humans. Good old Michael Cremo famous from his turns in Ancient Aliens and other anti-human evolution documentaries and books. I eat this kind of stuff up and have since reading Frank Edwards as a kid. I know how to pick apart all these findings but it is interesting to see them present their case. I'd like to think the finds are of unfortunate time travelers especially finding modern human remains in supposedly super ancient layers like the Precambrian. Hey maybe that's Picard and Q from “All Good Things!”
Kroatz at 5:06AM, Jan. 18, 2015
(online)
Intelligent design is an awesome idea, but sadly, there is a very easy way to make anyone doubt it. If the human eye is the case FOR intelligent design, then the human balls are the case AGAINST it. And of course I know how gravity works, and magnetism as well. They both work on the same principle… You guessed it… SCIENCE!

I read a lot of Erich von Däniken books. His books have titles like: “Were the gods Cosmonauts?” and “The gods were Astronauts”, and they are awesome to read. It gives me knowledge on theories that are equally as unlikely as the commonly accepted ones that religion presents, but are supported by more facts. I know they're wrong, but I wish they weren't, because it would make the world a more interesting place.

- Albert Einstein
Ozoneocean at 8:23AM, Jan. 18, 2015
(online)
Kroatz wrote:

Intelligent design is an awesome idea, but sadly, there is a very easy way to make anyone doubt it. If the human eye is the case FOR intelligent design, then the human balls are the case AGAINST it.

HAHAHA!
bravo1102 at 5:43AM, Jan. 19, 2015
(offline)
Kroatz wrote:
I read a lot of Erich von Dniken books. His books have titles like: “Were the gods Cosmonauts?” and “The gods were Astronauts”, and they are awesome to read.
Chariots of the Gods, Gods From Outer Space, Gold of the Gods are the original trilogy. Read them all myself. The guy to read now is Zecharia Sitchin. He builds on Von Daniken by giving specific names and dates to the astronaut gods (the Annunaki!) using his interpretations of Sumerian texts. He gets really detailed in his reinterpretations and also brings back some of Immanuel Velikovsky's theories about ancient cosmology.
The science behind why all these grandiose stories are wrong is pretty interesting. Sumerian/Babylonian culture is facinating. Knowing these guys with simple tools engineered all those great stone edifices without technology is fantastic. And you read the actual work in various journals and we do know exactly how it was done and who did it. But Von Daniken and the rest don't bother to read the journals, they just pull theories out of the sky to explain their own ignorance of the topic.

I've always wanted to write fiction based on Sitchin's Annunaki prehistory but never got around to it. It'd be the old humans reb ell against gods thing but I'd rather write b-movies plots and boobs.
Skullbie at 3:27PM, Jan. 19, 2015
(online)
Welp I sold my wacom cintiq, at a loss for sure. Funny thing was the guy who bought it said it arrived with a big scratch on the screen. I'm like wtf since I shipped it in the original case and the cintiq screen is literally scratch resistant. I ask for pics and he sends me this pic of a pure white line clearly made by the default brush pen in photoshop! I can't believe the nerve of some people. I flat out told him the screen material could not recieve a scratch like that.Haven't heard from him since but i imagine i'll be getting that ebay ‘not as desribed’ in three months since scammers seem to think tenacity is the key. Not getting a penny out of me if that happens.

But yeah if anyone wants a laugh i'd be happy to pm the pic he sent me. It looks like he did it with the default brush at 100% opacity.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon