Tips and Tricks/Support *

Artstyle
thunderdavid at 11:57AM, Dec. 22, 2016
(online)
I would like post a comic on DD.But i gotta ask, what is the art style Sprite? And what's difference between cartoon and American? Are they not the same?
demontales at 10:50AM, Jan. 12, 2017
(online)
Might be a bit late to respond, but oh well.

Sprite is usually a style where you can see each pixel clearly in the art… for a lack of a better definition. Think very old school 2D games. In many cases people take pre-made characters and backgrounds and touch them up. But some artists draw it all from scratch.

I'm not sure about cartoon and American. I'd assume that American would simply be a semi-realistic or fully realistic style that is akin to what is usually drawn in America(as opposed to a manga style).
thunderdavid at 7:34AM, Jan. 14, 2017
(online)
Thanks D, I think I have an idea what Sprite is.

Yeah, when I think about it American style is similar to traditional Marvel/ DC comics art. And cartoon is just… well cartoon.
Luccia at 10:17AM, Jan. 18, 2017
(offline)
I always thought of American style like that of Family Guy, American Dad, or Archer. And cartoon style like Looneytunes, Powerpuff Girls, Hey Arnold, etc. Just what I always thought, but I very well could be wrong.
Amelius at 3:20PM, Jan. 18, 2017
(offline)
American style encompasses the likes of Marvel, DC, Image and indie publications, R. Crumb and the like. It's often a semi-realistic style, I have the distinct feeling that it's intended to be “Western” here but they changed it to “American” because Western is already a category in the genre area and they didn't want to cause confusion! Generally, if it's not super toony but also not super realistic and isn't Eastern (manga, anime) influenced, then it's American/Western.

Cartoon style is anything that defies realism as a point of style,usually brightly colored and highly exaggerated anatomy and features.

Just pulling from the newspaper comics for example, and these are on a sliding scale mind you.

“American”- Spiderman, Doonesbury, Mary Worth, Blondie, Curtis

Cartoon- Garfield, Hagar the Horrible,B.C., Pearls Before Swine
thunderdavid at 7:01PM, Jan. 24, 2017
(online)
Amelius wrote:
American style encompasses the likes of Marvel, DC, Image and indie publications, R. Crumb and the like. It's often a semi-realistic style, I have the distinct feeling that it's intended to be “Western” here but they changed it to “American” because Western is already a category in the genre area and they didn't want to cause confusion! Generally, if it's not super toony but

Thanks Amelius, that's exactly what i was thinking.
Stahlberg at 7:06AM, June 13, 2019
(offline)
I was disappointed (but I guess not that surprised come to think of it) that there's no “European style” or “Franco-Belgian style” or whatever you'd like to name it, to indicate French and Belgian comics (mostly from those countries, some artists from other countries also influenced by it).
Moebius/Giraud, Herge, Serpieri, Bilal, Manara, Pratt, so many others… :)
Ozoneocean at 12:18AM, June 14, 2019
(online)
Stahlberg wrote:
I was disappointed (but I guess not that surprised come to think of it) that there's no “European style” or “Franco-Belgian style” or whatever you'd like to name it, to indicate French and Belgian comics (mostly from those countries, some artists from other countries also influenced by it).
Moebius/Giraud, Herge, Serpieri, Bilal, Manara, Pratt, so many others… :)
We originally has it but people complained there were too many categories and that was one of them they got rid off. :(

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon