Networking & Community Projects*

Fan the art?
Mika_yi at 7:10AM, Jan. 11, 2017
(offline)
Hi! So this may sound odd, but lately I've been having some issues being happy with how my comic pages are turning out. Meaning I scrap them and get fusterated with how they look and then never updating because I get irritated with it.

I read somewhere that random doodles or drawings can help relieve some of that stress but half the time I can't theink of anything to doodle.

So I thought I'd ask if it was okay to just doodle some fan art of some people's comics on here. Sad part is I hardly know any of the comics on this site :( but I thought maybe it would be fun if I got permission to just doodle some characters when I am stressed out of my mind and upset at comic pages I can post them up here. But they probably will be only random pencil drawings. I warn you my art is not the best but if anyone like to help me out maybe drop a character here with a pick I may end up just redoing the same pose but I think I need some doodle time between loosing my mind.

Thank you!
M. ( btw when I post them here if I can figure out how. It maybe on random days and times but I will post them at some point just don't laugh to hard at them)
Whirlwynd at 7:21AM, Jan. 11, 2017
(online)
Heya! I do trades if you're interested =) I'll draw one of your characters for any of my Lady Unlucky characters.

x_x I'm feeling a lot of stress about my work too right now so I can empathize. Maybe this would be good for both of us

last edited on Jan. 11, 2017 7:23AM
usedbooks at 8:29AM, Jan. 11, 2017
(online)
Drawing other people's characters is really good art practice! I did SO much of that when I was starting out. Most people are flattered to have their original characters and settings interpreted.

It's not been active for a few months, but this thread is good for that: http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/forum/topic/176884/

It's a safe bet that most participants would have no problem with people honing skills on their characters.
Mika_yi at 4:59PM, Jan. 11, 2017
(offline)
Whirlwynd wrote:
Heya! I do trades if you're interested =) I'll draw one of your characters for any of my Lady Unlucky characters.

x_x I'm feeling a lot of stress about my work too right now so I can empathize. Maybe this would be good for both of us

I've done about one or 2 art trades, I think I just have the I feel bad if my art looks crappy on a trade, which is why I don't normally do them. It's the reason why I asked if it was okay to doodle characters that aren't mine. lol

I am very happy you gave me a yes to draw your characters, I think I need some random drawing in my life. although I can't promise anything fancy I may end up in just pencil (so it's not much of an art trade) but thank you so much for giving me permission to draw your characters. (I can always post it up here with just the doodle. ^^

it's also good to know that I'm not the only one that feels stressed about the whole comic pages and art. TT.TT
—-
Mika_yi at 5:02PM, Jan. 11, 2017
(offline)
usedbooks wrote:
Drawing other people's characters is really good art practice! I did SO much of that when I was starting out. Most people are flattered to have their original characters and settings interpreted.

It's not been active for a few months, but this thread is good for that: http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/forum/topic/176884/

It's a safe bet that most participants would have no problem with people honing skills on their characters.

I did not know that there was a forum for the art thread, it's back in 2015 too I don't think I was that active then. but that's lovely little thread I looked at it. I do hope it's good practice, I just need something to get my mind off trying to over perfect my pages and getting so upset with them that I want to toss them out.

I only asked here cause I wanted to make sure I get permission to doodle, it's not much a fanart and it's only pencil but that's why I asked if it was okay. :) I'm glad to hear though if I decide to randomly draw someone's characters they won't be upset. or at least I hope not, TT.TT
usedbooks at 5:28PM, Jan. 11, 2017
(online)
Last post was five months ago, which is active enough around here. :) (It's kinda reviving a thread from back in 2007, which was super active. Mostly it was people presenting art out of the blue for others – or sometimes asking and then drawing. Many reciprocating.)

You are more than welcome to doodle or sketch any character I've created. I've treasured so many doodles. I'd be up for art trades too. I haven't done one in a few months, and they do help me break bad habits and practice.

And never be embarrassed about being on the lower-skill side of a fan art trade. I'm not a good artist, but ten years ago, I was WAAAAY worse, and I felt kinda ashamed that I couldn't make cool things to reciprocate, but amazing artists sometimes gave me beautiful art out of the blue and they encouraged and appreciated my attempts. This community is pretty amazing for that.

That said, I think your art is really good. You are being WAY too hard on yourself. Which I guess is par for the artist's course.

last edited on Jan. 11, 2017 5:31PM
Whirlwynd at 11:27AM, Jan. 12, 2017
(online)
I've done about one or 2 art trades, I think I just have the I feel bad if my art looks crappy on a trade

x_x This is essentially why it takes me forever to fulfill prizes for contests I hold so I definitely feel this. But trades I just see for fun so I never expect anything fancy.

That said, I think your art is really good. You are being WAY too hard on yourself. Which I guess is par for the artist's course.

All very true!

fallopiancrusader at 1:58PM, Jan. 12, 2017
(offline)
You are welcome to draw any character from any of my comics. It would be awesome to see the fan art thread get revived!
Mika_yi at 5:41AM, Jan. 13, 2017
(offline)
You are more than welcome to doodle or sketch any character I've created. I've treasured so many doodles. I'd be up for art trades too. I haven't done one in a few months, and they do help me break bad habits and practice.

Thank you so much! I'm happy that some of you are allowing me to do so. I haven't gotten around to it yet. but in my down time I think I'll start doodling stuff to keep me from going crazy. I'm glad to hear I think I really do need something to just draw.

thank you so much both of you. I think maybe I can't see that, or I compare my stuff to others to much. so I try, but I feel like I fail. but thank you so much!

and Whirlwynd lol, well that's good to know though. at least I know if I draw anything and it comes out all strange looking no one will be to upset with me.

You are welcome to draw any character from any of my comics. It would be awesome to see the fan art thread get revived!

Thank you so very much I'm glad to hear that.I really do need something to just doodle other than my own stuff
KimLuster at 10:26AM, Jan. 13, 2017
(online)
All my characters are free game - for you and anybody else ;)

Maybe someday I'll find the time to do some more fanart myself!
Mika_yi at 5:28AM, Jan. 14, 2017
(offline)
KimLuster wrote:
All my characters are free game - for you and anybody else ;)

Maybe someday I'll find the time to do some more fanart myself!
Thank you so much I am glad to hear that. I have my sketch book now stuff to doodle in it ty!
Mika_yi at 7:12PM, Jan. 14, 2017
(offline)

I hope this works but my first doodle! It's whirlwynd character idk how she looks but I did a doodle!
last edited on Jan. 14, 2017 7:46PM
KimLuster at 8:47PM, Jan. 14, 2017
(online)
Looks great! You obviously have talent! Love the eyes!
Ironscarf at 2:06AM, Jan. 16, 2017
(offline)
Is this the new fan art thread?

Mika_yi wrote:
Hi! So this may sound odd, but lately I've been having some issues being happy with how my comic pages are turning out. Meaning I scrap them and get fusterated with how they look and then never updating because I get irritated with it.

Feel free to use anything of mine if the mood takes you. I went through about ten years of the same thing, never able to finish a page and constantly starting over. I didn't manage to scrap them all though and when I look back at them now, there was nothing much wrong with them. They weren't perfect, but it was mostly all in my mind.

Looking at your work with a critical eye is a good thing, but don't pay too much attention to the voices in your head or you'll never get to the next stage! Get your page done, see where you could have done it better and try to fix it on the next one.
Mika_yi at 9:35PM, Jan. 16, 2017
(offline)
Ironscarf wrote:
Is this the new fan art thread?

haha I don't really know, I just call it my scribbles and doodle page, but I suppose it's kind of like that.

Feel free to use anything of mine if the mood takes you. I went through about ten years of the same thing, never able to finish a page and constantly starting over. I didn't manage to scrap them all though and when I look back at them now, there was nothing much wrong with them. They weren't perfect, but it was mostly all in my mind.

Looking at your work with a critical eye is a good thing, but don't pay too much attention to the voices in your head or you'll never get to the next stage! Get your page done, see where you could have done it better and try to fix it on the next one.

thank you so much! I'm glad to hear it, I'm pretty slow to doodle, I've been so tired, and having really bad head aches lately. but thank you! I'll be getting to it at some point.

and possible so, I keep seeing all the things wrong with it that I get really upset and tired of looking at it that I want to cry cause I can't keep my weekly updates, or even pages drawn. I really do need to take that advice though, like I said I get so upset I want to cry and curl up in a ball. :(

kimluster:
Looks great! You obviously have talent! Love the eyes!
thank you so much! I'm still working on more doodles/scribbles, I'll post them up as i get them done, hopefully I don't disappoint anyone with my little scribbles.
Whirlwynd at 10:53AM, Jan. 17, 2017
(online)
Mika_yi wrote:

I hope this works but my first doodle! It's whirlwynd character idk how she looks but I did a doodle!

Aah that looks great! Her face looks so cool <3
Any specific character of yours you'd like me to draw?

Mika_yi at 8:49PM, Jan. 17, 2017
(offline)
Whirlwynd wrote:
Mika_yi wrote:

Aah that looks great! Her face looks so cool <3
Any specific character of yours you'd like me to draw?
Oh?! You really want to? That would be lovely and it doesn't matter which one if you choose. And thank you so much I am happy you like how she came out!

Next doodle whole page on the top is the one I posted before with a little more shading ( lady unlucky) and the second is suppose to be seiko ( used books) they aren't the best but like I said they are just random doodles.

Btw sorry if they are sideways the place I post it for some reason post it side ways XC
last edited on Jan. 17, 2017 9:06PM
KimLuster at 8:59PM, Jan. 17, 2017
(online)
This is really great art! You do excellent faces!!
Luccia at 11:28AM, Jan. 19, 2017
(offline)
Seriously! ^^ Your art makes my eyes happy. Sorry if that sounds odd.
Mika_yi at 6:22PM, Jan. 21, 2017
(offline)
KimLuster wrote:
This is really great art! You do excellent faces!!

thank you so much! I'm currently trying to attempt to doodle one of yours. hopefully you'll like it when I get done with it I don't think it looks anything like your character but I tried.

Lucciawrote:
Seriously! ^^ Your art makes my eyes happy. Sorry if that sounds odd.

that is a new one! but thank you very much I'm glad you like my scribbles. I have two ways of trying to draw things, most characters on here are more along the lines of realism so I try to doodle that way. other wise I draw plane anime faces. lol, that and most of the characters are ‘older’ looking so I draw them the way I draw Indomitable spirit. that's very kind of you!
Mika_yi at 3:44PM, Jan. 22, 2017
(offline)

Two more doodles! Although I don't even know if they look anything like your characters . ㅠ.ㅠ
Thank you for kettle me doodle it does help a lot! I think I got one more person saying I can doodle there character hopefully I'll get that up soon.

KimLuster at 5:02AM, Jan. 23, 2017
(online)
Mika_yi wrote:

Two more doodles! Although I don't even know if they look anything like your characters . ㅠ.ㅠ
Thank you for kettle me doodle it does help a lot! I think I got one more person saying I can doodle there character hopefully I'll get that up soon.

They're beautifully rendered, that's for certain!
Whirlwynd at 9:13AM, Jan. 24, 2017
(online)
From Indomitable Spirit!

I hope you don't mind I went with an animation frame instead of a sketch. My sketches of other people's characters tend to be incoherent messes, and what I really need practice on right now is making animation frames faster.

Mika_yi at 7:25PM, Jan. 25, 2017
(offline)
KimLuster wrote:
Mika_yi wrote:

They're beautifully rendered, that's for certain!

thank you so much! I hope she looks okay to you, I tried to doodle her out, but I'm not sure how well she came out doesn't really look much like your character does she? but thank you!

Mika_yi at 7:26PM, Jan. 25, 2017
(offline)
Whirlwynd wrote:
From Indomitable Spirit!

I hope you don't mind I went with an animation frame instead of a sketch. My sketches of other people's characters tend to be incoherent messes, and what I really need practice on right now is making animation frames faster.

OMG! you actually drew one of my characters and it's Tamagi no less. I love it! makes me feel bad mine wasn't as nice as yours came out. but you have no idea how happy that made me I had a big grin on my face at work when I saw it! thank you so much! I love it I really do!
Avart at 11:16AM, March 3, 2017
(offline)
Hi! If you still have issues with your own comics, feel free to use my characters (I posted a manga here in DD, called The Gloom). There are some artwork too.
I was trying to post a picture here but I can't XD, sorry!
Mika_yi at 9:52AM, March 15, 2017
(offline)
Avart wrote:
Hi! If you still have issues with your own comics, feel free to use my characters (I posted a manga here in DD, called The Gloom). There are some artwork too.
I was trying to post a picture here but I can't XD, sorry!

Hi I still do every now and then lately I been so busy all I've really been doing is working and sleep. Thank you so much though! It helps to have things I can randomly draw or doodle when I can't think of anything else . :)
Fantasticbrick at 8:59AM, April 25, 2017
(offline)
If its any conciliation dude, your art is pretty damn spectacular. Don't think less of your art because its pretty much on point.
Mika_yi at 9:25AM, April 27, 2017
(offline)
Fantasticbrick wrote:
If its any conciliation dude, your art is pretty damn spectacular. Don't think less of your art because its pretty much on point.

thank you so much! I'm actually very happy to hear that, I feel awful about my art and comics a lot. but that made me feel better thank you so very much! It really means a lot to hear that! *hugs*

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon