Comic Talk and General Discussion *

What is your hobby other than art?
mks_monsters at 8:16AM, Oct. 11, 2017
(offline)
Mine is baking, watching movies, reading books and going out with my better half to new restaurants and places.
Ozoneocean at 8:33PM, Oct. 11, 2017
(online)
When I'm not drawing, managing this site or chasing the ladies, my interests are collecting vintage and antique outfits and hats, sewing, and collecting 19th century sabres. :)
And cosplay.

I have a small collection of 200 year old swords, many pairs of vintage and antique trousers (they just keep piling up! D: ) and hundreds of hats of all sizes and shapes.
My prize items are my death's head hussar uniform and my full 1920s white tie top hat and tails outfits.
usedbooks at 8:47PM, Oct. 11, 2017
(online)
I love watching DVDs of a variety of series and movies. I'm super picky but also like many genres.

I also read (fiction only) and play story-heavy video games. I'm addicted to stories. Some of my favorites are/were LA Noire, Beyond Two Souls, Heavy Rain, Life is Strange, Tales from the Borderlands, Murdered, and 999. Mostly interactive fiction, but I like some jrpgs. Some FPS games have great stories, and I watch my brother play them.

I enjoy teaching my dog tricks. We do a little fetch and tug games too. Love my cat too. I also dress them up and take pictures. :P

My most expensive hobby is raising and breeding pet rats. I have 22 at the moment. My line started in 2002. I specialize in rex (curly fur) rats, but I have standard coats and sometimes hairless ones too. I'm a genetics geek.
last edited on Oct. 11, 2017 8:50PM
Ironscarf at 11:17AM, Oct. 12, 2017
(offline)
I'm an obsessive musician, on guitar and ukulele and I plan to start on cavaquinho (Brazil's answer to the ukulele) when I can afford it. I play all kinds of music, but I especially love standards and songs from the early to mid 20th century. Do you know My Canary Has Circles Under His Eyes?
lba at 4:42PM, Oct. 12, 2017
(online)
I have a nasty habit of turning my hobbies into my job, but before I did that it was hiking, canoeing, hunting, fishing and otherwise being generally outdoorsy. I try to take at least one trip every year to go somewhere, explore a national park and spend some time snapping photos, climbing on stuff and generally recharging my brain to make more art for the coming year.
KimLuster at 7:29PM, Oct. 12, 2017
(online)
Leseeeee… Kayaking and Hiking are high up there. Both Hubby and I like music a lot, singing, keyboard, but that's sort of drifted. Always have at least one book I'm reading (often more than one at a time…). Whenever we go to a place we've never been, or a large city that has places we haven't been (still haven't covered all of New Orleans), we love to find bars and breweries and sample local beers (the more exotic the better).
bravo1102 at 10:54PM, Oct. 12, 2017
(offline)
Plastic model building. Been doing it over 40 years and have done just about everything. And along with that comes history. More of a passion really, I travel, read and research and the read some more.

And then find and build a model based on it.

I also dabble in photography and collecting 1/6 scale action figures. And the combination of the two becomes my comics.
mks_monsters at 5:15AM, Oct. 13, 2017
(offline)
Nice to see all these hobbies. Some of them look fun. Especially the collecting.
KimLuster at 4:37PM, Oct. 13, 2017
(online)
Oh I collect too… Just nothing in particular! I'm almost a hoarder haha
usedbooks at 5:43PM, Oct. 13, 2017
(online)
My collections are modest and varied. I have three production cels (with original backgrounds and sketches) and a handful of models/figures from Detective Conan (anime). And I have a small collection of cute rat toys and statues.

I like casual hiking, bird watching, and kayaking too, but I'm usually getting paid for it.
last edited on Oct. 13, 2017 5:44PM
fallopiancrusader at 8:07PM, Oct. 14, 2017
(offline)
My biggest hobby used to be skydiving, but that got too expensive. Now, I'm really into the aerial arts, like pole dancing, silks, hoop, and hand balancing.
bravo1102 at 1:04AM, Oct. 15, 2017
(offline)
I should note most of my built models are available for adoption to a good home for the cost of postage.
Have to make room for new ones. As much as I love them, it's nice to send them out into the world. I used to build on commission for wargamers and collectors and sold off a couple of armies worth.
Tantz_Aerine at 11:07AM, Oct. 17, 2017
(online)
Baking cakes and generally making desserts. Variations on recipes and stuff around sweet edibles just rocks my boat when I've nothing else to do.
kawaiidaigakusei at 2:33AM, Oct. 18, 2017
(online)
I love to crochet stuffed animals, practice sewing, reading out loud, traveling around the world, and writing positive “thank you” notes.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Amelius at 10:34AM, Oct. 18, 2017
(offline)
Well, when I'm not working while pretending nobody is home because people scare me…
I'd say making stuff with pipecleaners but that's technically still art, eh?
I did this one on commission ages ago for a friend, of the two sabertooths from the Frazetta piece “The Huntress”.
And when I am not being crushed by guilt for not working on my comic for some reason (usually depression, demotivation, computer trouble) I play video games. I've got a queue of games that I haven't finished due to work being more important- but I absolutely make time for a new Vanillaware game. Half of my aforementioned pipecleaner art consists of Odin Sphere stuff, particularly the boss monsters. I tried needlefelting for a bit but stores stopped carrying the felt because the “trend” died down right as I was trying it out, and painting gaming miniatures from Warhammer, Super Dungeon Explorer and Arcadia Quest. I also customized a few cheapo toys I bought to look like some of my own characters.

Right now the thing I'm most super into is tabletop RPG with a homebrew system based loosely on the storyteller system from White Wolf games. I'm not huge into D&D's setting but I have played in a few campaigns, as well as in Hackmaster and Serenity. Right now the 3 ongoing campaigns I'm in are all set in my comic universe as we were testing the viability of making an RPG based around it, and I'm preparing to GM my own campaign eventually. I got to guest GM recently and apparently did well enough!

I've also gotten into cooking despite my small, crappy kitchen. I used to find the idea a daunting task, but I've become accomplished enough that Nick's mom wanted me to cook specifically for her birthday present! (Made red pepper fettuccine alfredo by request). Too bad they can't handle my chili or my fajitas… we like them spicy, and I learned the hard way to wear gloves next time I'm cutting up cayenne peppers. If your nose isn't running while eating it, it's not spicy enough!
Tonight I'm making homemade ramen! I also learned how to make the sauce they put in Taco Bell quesadillas…

And last, walking. Me and Nick will sometimes do a 10 mile walk & talk (where we discuss story and characters, but mostly rant about stuff) in the evening, and we walked (in partitions of course) the entirety of the Ohio Erie Canal Trail, and are trying to find our next goal for walking. When we can afford some running shoes we're going to try to get back into that because last year when we started, the first thing I did was fall off the sidewalk and sprain my ankle so bad I couldn't walk in the morning!
We also hike in the metroparks, and we've gotten lost in the woods at night many, many times, but we bring a light so it's not so bad. One time a coyote stalked us!

Tantz_Aerine at 2:38PM, Oct. 18, 2017
(online)
Wow Amelius that pipecleaner art is amazing!
fallopiancrusader at 4:41PM, Oct. 18, 2017
(offline)
Amelius wrote:

Right now the thing I'm most super into is tabletop RPG with a homebrew system based loosely on the storyteller system from White Wolf games. I'm not huge into D&D's setting but I have played in a few campaigns, as well as in Hackmaster and Serenity. Right now the 3 ongoing campaigns I'm in are all set in my comic universe as we were testing the viability of making an RPG based around it

Wow, a table-top RPG set in your comic's universe would be awesome!
last edited on Oct. 18, 2017 4:42PM
mikemacdee at 9:51PM, Oct. 18, 2017
(online)
fallopiancrusader wrote:
Amelius wrote:

Right now the thing I'm most super into is tabletop RPG with a homebrew system based loosely on the storyteller system from White Wolf games. I'm not huge into D&D's setting but I have played in a few campaigns, as well as in Hackmaster and Serenity. Right now the 3 ongoing campaigns I'm in are all set in my comic universe as we were testing the viability of making an RPG based around it

Wow, a table-top RPG set in your comic's universe would be awesome!
Good luck with that. Making an RPG system is one of the toughest things ever, unless you base it on Savage Worlds or something.

I do game mods as a hobby and write book series. I have one book published traditionally, and several self-published. I made a doom mod to help promote the Winter Agent Juno book series, but it hasn't really worked out. Apparently I don't know what I'm doing.
bravo1102 at 3:12AM, Oct. 19, 2017
(offline)
Once upon a time you could adapt any world to a table top RPG system. Steve Jackson Games Generic Universal Role-playing System or GURPS. The game system of Call of Cthulhu and Stormbringer was also quite malleable. They were skill based not class based with skill progression, not arbitrary levels.

Don't use D&D. The magic system there is very specific and unless you know how using ancient issues of Dragon magazine (point-based sub-classes) you can't create the uniquely skilled characters in various comics. So you need something skill based like GURPS or CoC not class based.

And lots of research on how people are able to do things, skill sets and skill pyramids, learning methods and so on.

I played very fast and loose with AD&D back in the 1980s and a lot of the stuff I did presaged what D&D is today but it still isn't malleable enough still being class based with levels rather than skill progression.

But then I stopped playing table top RPGs in the early 1990s because I felt the whole industry had stagnated with great game systems falling by the way side and poor systems thriving.

Warhammer is all about the figures not the game system. I do figures but don't play the game. Even won a figure painting contest but I prefer 1/35 models and 54mm historical to 28mm fantasy.

last edited on Oct. 19, 2017 3:13AM
fallopiancrusader at 8:04AM, Oct. 19, 2017
(offline)
bravo1102 wrote:
Once upon a time you could adapt any world to a table top RPG system. Steve Jackson Games Generic Universal Role-playing System or GURPS. The game system of Call of Cthulhu and Stormbringer was also quite malleable.

Call of Cthulu and Stormbringer! I forgot about those! I did a few illustrations for some of the other games published by Chaosium back when I was in college. It was not my best work, so I'll leave it at that…

Chaosium is a cool bunch of people. I think their flagship product back in the 70s was Runequest.
bravo1102 at 10:17PM, Oct. 19, 2017
(offline)
fallopiancrusader wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:
Once upon a time you could adapt any world to a table top RPG system. Steve Jackson Games Generic Universal Role-playing System or GURPS. The game system of Call of Cthulhu and Stormbringer was also quite malleable.

Call of Cthulu and Stormbringer! I forgot about those! I did a few illustrations for some of the other games published by Chaosium back when I was in college. It was not my best work, so I'll leave it at that…

Chaosium is a cool bunch of people. I think their flagship product back in the 70s was Runequest.
I couldn't remember the name as never played it, but I played Call of Cthulhu to excess. I served in the National Guard with someone who did playtesting and proof reading for them. I was set to start doing some technical weaponry art for them and they ceased publication.
KimLuster at 8:18AM, Oct. 20, 2017
(online)
I do like how it's fine to be a geek these days *puts on nostalgic geek glasses*

We played some GURPS (that's the acronym for that Steve Jackson game) back in the day, and it really could by used for ANYTHING! But Dang! Does it have a YUGE list of skills, advantages, disadvantages, etc. to choose from, even for normal human characters!! It could be overwhelming, and could feel sorta bland, honestly… And it's open to abuse by players who know how to juggle points!! It did have some meaty source-book add-ons though. And they pride themselves in their historical accuracy. I actually used a GURPS Scarlett Pimpernell source-book as fodder for a paper on the French Revolution in college (copied large segments almost verbatim, knowing the professors would've never even heard of GURPS!)

Agree that DnD is OUT! But there was a spinoff called D20 Modern. It used the same system as DnD but was much more generic (meant to be used for any genre) - some say it's the closest thing to melding a Class vs Skill RPG system together that's ever worked (of course I never played it haha)

The Storyteller system (by Whitewolf, with specific setting games like Vampire, Werewolf, Mage…) could probably be used to fit a another setting easy enough. It's point based but much more ‘paired down’, with a handful of attributes and skills that cover just about everything. We played it ALOT and while it may be over-simplified to some, it works if you care more about story than mechanics. Certainly worked for us!! Biggest downside - you have ALOT of 10-sided dice!!
IronHorseComics at 7:21PM, Oct. 28, 2017
(online)
Model railroading, and video games ;)
You can read Fluffy 500 right here! https://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Fluffy_500/
Emevsa at 5:40AM, Nov. 1, 2017
(offline)
I love to do my nails. I have an instagram account dedicated to all my designs :P

When I'm not doing that I do a bit of cooking, writing, reading, Netflix and playing video games. I also love to do yoga. Helps stretch my muscles after sitting down all week. :P

~EMI
kyupol at 8:16PM, Dec. 22, 2017
(online)
1) Reading the Bible and the news
2) Martial arts
3) Economics and Finance (anything to do with stocks, bonds, ETFs, mutual funds, precious metals, etc.)
Genejoke at 3:59PM, Dec. 26, 2017
(online)
I dabble in photography, and used to dabble in martial arts too. Have recently got back into tabletop RPGs, homebrew stuff similar to Amelius. I use a system based on the cyberpunk 2020 system. Interestingly enough, about 6-7 years ago I was using a system based on the story teller system too, with added combat mechanics.

Have also been doing some computer game making, but keep hitting roadblocks on that. More ambition than ability mainly.
MegaRdaniels at 2:34PM, March 12, 2018
(online)
Hmmmm….watching anime, reading, walking, and I guess annoying my sister by holding her arms.
ayesinback at 6:33PM, March 18, 2018
(online)
Reading has always been primary. Different kinds of needlework. Playing with our 3-1/2 yr old cat (the 4-1/2 yr old cat doesn't get “play,” SO neurotic). Making audio CDs (probably because I like titling the playlists and making the labels). Traveling when time and budget allows. Baking now and then (very pleased with some French bread recently). And the latest is trying to make a jointed 1:12 polymer doll. I've reached a point of intimidation so I made a 1:12 teapot to welcome the doll once she's made. And lots of binge watching (Netflix and Amazon) and movies, most genres except animation. Use to love animation but it just doesn't hold my attention the way it use to.
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
last edited on March 18, 2018 6:35PM
sunseeker25 at 7:23PM, May 2, 2018
(offline)
I enjoy playing Batmud and Planetside 2, sometimes good old DDO as well. I'm a gamer :P

I also like working out and running when it's in season, and spending time with my friends and family.
PearHalf at 11:14AM, May 14, 2018
(offline)
I like to play tennis, listen to music, take care of cats, and I'm still studying in college trying to get an associate degree for now. I'm planning on getting a bachelor's in something (I'm not sure what yet) someday.

I used to dabble in all sorts of foreign languages (from German,Finnish,French,Swedish,etc.,etc.) but I haven't been studying those so much as of late.

I also tried my hand at learning to play the keyboard, but it turned out that it's just not my thing.

I do a lot of things!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon