Comic Talk and General Discussion *

How do you not harm others with your art?
Call Me Tom at 6:42AM, Aug. 23, 2018
(online)
Right so this may just be me being stupid, but every time I draw something or make a comic I always end up hurting someone by putting it up on the web. I don't know if it's just how I draw is extremely insulting or if I'm just missing some social rule because you know autism. I don't know why others don't hurt people the same way I do when draw something and I have to think the problem is me because I'm always hurting and insulting people with my work.
I'm sorry for any offence I cause.
KimLuster at 8:00AM, Aug. 23, 2018
(online)
Wow, Tom, something is really eating you! This is your second thread along these lines! Who told you that you insulted them? Anyway, I'm not sure what else I can say, as it's seems like you're listening to them more than you are several others (incl. me) who love your art and stories! I'll just say, if you start your comic back up, I'll be there!
Genejoke at 8:21AM, Aug. 23, 2018
(online)
Are you sure you're not just being trolled by some ass hat? I've never seen anything by you that is offensive in the slightest.

Unless… and I'm speculating here so please take with a pinch of salt, is it someone who inspired a character or comic who was hurt by how they were depicted? Ultimately you're not responsible for how others feel about your work and if it's not blatantly nasty then I'd say maybe don't worry.
last edited on Aug. 23, 2018 8:27AM
usedbooks at 8:45AM, Aug. 23, 2018
(online)
I'm going to have to go along with Genejoke on this one. We kinda need more specifics to help out on this one. But in general, the internet is full of good humored people enjoying all its offerings silently – peppered with a very tiny number of very loud trolls and keyboard warriors who are taking great offense to kitten videos and filling comments sections with their rage.

If you have the misfortune of one of these beings taking an interest in you, they are harder to shake than a fungal infection. (Although ignoring them tends to work okay as long as your true supporters don't feed them.)
Amelius at 10:43AM, Aug. 23, 2018
(offline)
It's not being stupid to care about others feelings, it's actually a nice thing to see once in a while. Glad to see you are back, I was beginning to worry!

Unless you produce the most saccharine, newspaper/child friendly thing, it is almost an impossibility that someone won't get their undies in a bundle over it. People who are looking for something to complain about will find it. People came after Weird Al for using the word “spastic” because it's offensive in Europe, but it's a harmless word for hyperactive in the US. And because of that one little thing, a whole bunch of idiots combed through his songs looking for “problematic receipts”. Some people are just trash and it makes them feel big to tear others down, so they point to other people's flaws so nobody is looking at theirs.

What was it they found allegedly insulting or hurtful? I agree with the sentiment that it sounds like you've got a troll harassing you.

People make things deliberately offensive and don't care if people get hurt, and continue on with their work unperturbed. But I've seen plenty of people who get “called out” for minor BS that wasn't even intentionally offensive if it was offensive at all. Maybe this is the case.

I have many things in my own comic–old, old jokes from when the internet was a different place and I was a little more naive about the world– that people say are problematic, a little sexist… I know these things now and apologized for them, but I do not delete them. I reach out to people who say they were bothered (or respond to ones who write me personally).

Sometimes you just have to explain where you are coming from and that you genuinely did not mean harm, or make clear your intentions. Sometimes I'll add a little bit of this to old comic author's notes to head off complaints.

I don't think it's your art but it really depends on what it was you drew that got someone all riled up. If they aren't just messing with you for funsies, that is. I know there are ethnic groups that are very sensitive about how they are depicted in art(and for legit reasons as many of these caricatures have been used to mock and dehumanize them) which has the unfortunate effect of people avoiding including minorities in their work at all to avoid drama.

But that all said, context might help us help you better on this front. Or find someone you trust and ask them “is this insulting/harmful?” before posting. It's good to have someone take a second glance at things before they go live.
bravo1102 at 2:56AM, Aug. 24, 2018
(offline)
What Amelius said. Said so well.

From my own experience, I do satire. So if someone is offended it may just be that they recognize a twisted image of themselves in the mirror I hold up to the world. But my purpose is to entertain and if it is offensive consider that I presented it that way to show how wrong it is. That we have to recognize and face such things; not point to it claiming offence and hiding away in some safe space. There is no safe space. The world is harsh and cruel. Face those who would belittle you, examine their beliefs and you may find that they are based on willful ignorance rather than moral superiority.

If not, admit the error. Learn from it and become a better person. Express your gratitude to them for having shown you the error of your ways. We live and grow by making mistakes.
last edited on Aug. 24, 2018 3:03AM
Call Me Tom at 8:34AM, Aug. 24, 2018
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
admit the error. Learn from it and become a better person. Express your gratitude to them for having shown you the error of your ways. We live and grow by making mistakes.
That's the problem I can't work out what the cause that was that caused effect. I know that when I make fanart I upset a lot of people so I tried asking people if it was okay to make fanart before I started, but that still offended people so I don't make fanart anymore. I mean I know that my art isn't any good but I didn't think it was offensively bad.
I'm sorry for any offence I cause.
Genejoke at 9:11AM, Aug. 24, 2018
(online)
Call Me Tom wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:
admit the error. Learn from it and become a better person. Express your gratitude to them for having shown you the error of your ways. We live and grow by making mistakes.
That's the problem I can't work out what the cause that was that caused effect. I know that when I make fanart I upset a lot of people so I tried asking people if it was okay to make fanart before I started, but that still offended people so I don't make fanart anymore. I mean I know that my art isn't any good but I didn't think it was offensively bad.

That sounds like a case of people being dicks. The clue is in the name, fan art. Also remember, people are generally assholes on the internet and don't realise or just don't care.
bravo1102 at 9:13AM, Aug. 24, 2018
(offline)
I am very careful what comics I do fan art for because of that very reason. Even then I goofed and had to do some explaining.

Your work is such high quality that I personally cannot see how the quality of the work is the reason for any objections or pain. But then there are some who just can't accept the compliment that fan art is. And that is their loss. I find it very hard to accept compliments and my initial reaction to fan art my work inspired has been to be offended that it did not precisely match my vision of my characters and stories. Then I sit myself down and accept the honor I've been paid and enjoy that appreciation for what I do.

Creative people can be very fragile. Tell that you are trying to understand and need their help just as you are asking for ours. Share how you feel with them and wish only to make amends. All that being said you can only do so much if someone won't share with you how you may have wronged them.
ayesinback at 1:30PM, Aug. 24, 2018
(online)
@CallMeTom – From what you produce, you are absolutely an artist. But your perspective is a little different from many artists in that you care about what others think. When an artist is doing their own stuff, their first responsibility should be to themselves and what they're trying to do.

I can say that to you because you won't get a big head and become egomaniac. It certainly seems unlikely because of this huge sensitivity you have for others. But I hope you can ease up on that sensitivity when criticism comes back about your own ideas. People can think what they think, and no one's going to stop them. But that doesn't mean what they think should stop you.

When comments come back about fan art you made, I understand that's a different sensibility. Let's say the artist you're fanning always features Disney-esque ponies and your fan art is a demon stallion.

They come back and write “How could you?” That looks like they might be offended. Or maybe they are truly asking “Where did your idea come from?” and would like to discuss.

It can be incredibly difficult to decipher what's written on the internet when you can't see an eye twinkle, or hear a tone of voice, or have comon reference points, slang, culture, and on and on.

If a comment is vague, you can follow up with a direct question ONLY if you really need to know. Like several have already pointed out, there are some folks who's only purpose in life is to annoy others, and you'd be feeding them.

If it's to the point (You have offended me with that drawing of yours) then apologize and, as Bravo said, ask them in what way they were offended.

I remember I did a piece in which I attempted to depict bricks falling on someone's head. One commentator stated they didn't understand why I put flying pencil erasers in the image. Another wrote how lucky the person in my drawing was to have Hershey bars falling from heaven. Not knowing if they were playing with me or if my art was just That Bad, I sucked it up. And then later laughed about it cuz it was funny.

The important thing is: Please keep doing your art just as you have always done. It's REALLY GREAT. I like it and I miss it when I don't see it.

And be at least as patient and considerate to yourself as you are to others.

You TOO can be (multiple choice)
last edited on Aug. 24, 2018 9:36PM
Tantz_Aerine at 4:22PM, Aug. 25, 2018
(online)
If you can't see where the offensive thing is, just ask what the problem was. If they offended party can't tell you what it was in a clear manner, then ignore them. they're just looking to be offended and find someone to troll.

Sometimes though, people will be offended because they see something they don't want to see, despite the fact it may not be offensive at all. Ignore those.

Finally, if you feel your work is what you want it to be, then that is what matters. Whoever is offended, just should go read something else.

Genejoke at 3:09PM, Aug. 26, 2018
(online)
Added to what Tantz said, being offended doesn't mean they are harmed in any way. Sometimes people just need to lighten up and get a grip.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Google+