Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Reboot versus Resume
Hapoppo at 8:33PM, Jan. 6, 2019
(online)
Howdy folks… so this may be a bit of an interesting topic. A few weeks back I did a reboot of my old comic, and now I have the sudden urge to go back to the original and pick up where I left off. One major caveat of the latter idea is that I don't have any of the original, fully formatted pages, so I would probably want to go back and basically “remaster” them over time, but I'd have a lot of pages to build off of. On the other hand, I don't know if I should just ditch the new one when I just started it; it barely has a reader base (3 subscribers on another host, no idea if I have any here). Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on this sort of dilemma, or if you've ever been in a similar situation.
JaymonRising at 9:24PM, Jan. 6, 2019
(offline)
I feel as though you should try and continue the reboot since you'd have to go back and make the effort to remaster the original from each individual page. But if you really liked the original and feel as though each page is worth remastering, then put the reboot one on hold and try remastering your comic.

I guess it's more of a “pick one and follow it to the bitter end” sort of deal.
bravo1102 at 2:53AM, Jan. 7, 2019
(offline)
Theres a forum topic a billion or so pages back entitled “Is it Ever too Late” asking this same question.
The final answer became the comic “Sword of Kings” which was a total reformatted reboot of the original. It retained much of the original art but other sequences were revised and rewritten.

Is there a way to blend the two together? In other words, do the reboot elements while resuming the story as a buffer for future release? Have your cake and eat it too?
Or to use the reboot elements to update the existing told comic as necessary by replacing the originals with reformatted pages?
With that said two caveats:
First: Only do it if you're willing to follow it to the end.
Second: Make your choice and stick to it.

I've done it once and a lot had changed since the first go around, so the reboot was different, in some places markedly so.

But I still walked away from it because it wasn't what I wanted to do anymore. The time was over for telling that story and I wanted to tell others. I had moved on. Sounds like you haven't but I would suggest combining the two into one and integrating the reboot elements into the original and concurrently doing the continuation as a future buffer.

Hapoppo at 8:00AM, Jan. 7, 2019
(online)
JaymonRising wrote:
I feel as though you should try and continue the reboot since you'd have to go back and make the effort to remaster the original from each individual page.

Looking back at my statement, “major” caveat is a bit of an overdramatization, which is totally my fault. Realistically I have all of the old stuff up already, I'd only really NEED to remaster them if I wanted to, say, print a book of them or go back and change some things. Otherwise I'd be able to go back and do things at my own pace, if at all.

bravo1102 wrote:
Is there a way to blend the two together? In other words, do the reboot elements while resuming the story as a buffer for future release? Have your cake and eat it too?
Or to use the reboot elements to update the existing told comic as necessary by replacing the originals with reformatted pages?
With that said two caveats:
First: Only do it if you're willing to follow it to the end.
Second: Make your choice and stick to it.

See, now THAT has me thinking. I did originally have the idea to have one of the characters in the new version kind of cross over into the older versions as a sort of cameo, but I could even go back to the old stuff, update each chapter to the point where they kind of lead up to that point, and treat the whole thing like a multiverse…

Anyway, thanks to both of you for the advice! You've given me something to think about this week.
JustNoPoint at 7:33PM, Jan. 9, 2019
(online)
The only way I’d ever reboot is if I got picked up by a publisher and could earn a living with my comic. Otherwise I prefer to advance story and move on. It took forever to finish my prologue and I’d rather never do that again. You’re situation seems a bit different to mine though. But in the end I think I’d still pick up where you left off. But whichever direction you go I’ll check it out

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon