Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Why Ralph Breaks the internet wasn't...eh.. (SPOILERS)
JaymonRising at 5:33PM, Jan. 23, 2019
(offline)
Note: I was inspired by Doug Walker's review,https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PYFHA4B1Nos as well as Penguinz0's review https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7oH7MN9gMYM, and see this the same way people saw Bohemian Rhapsody: the movie was just good enough for what it had.

I talked before about how there's a difference between mutual self-deprecation and bullying.

I get that Ralph's “insecurity” was his fault and it manifested into a temporary villain, but…WAS it? I felt genuinely bad that he had to put up with the comment section while Vanellope muted him after he endured the bullying on par with the comments despite all he did for her.

The way I see it, if the virus was to treat Vanellope's “flaw” as equally as Ralph's, why didn't the buildings just…oh, I dunno…ALSO long for a better game than “Death Race” instead of JUST glitching? Or if longing for a better game isn't a bad thing, why didn't they feel 2-dimensional guilt the same way Ralph felt 2-dimensional attachment issues?

I'd hate to begin a sentence with “don't get me wrong”, so I won't to point out that the movie was obviously imperfect anyway by just the trailer when they placed the blame on the “big strong man” bias over the real culprit that was why these Hans Christian Andersen tales were poorly adapted in the first place: Happily ever after.

It just felt out of place to have the first movie basically be about Ralph “learning his place and accepting it” (in such a meanspirited way also given how bitter the people in his game were to him) while the second movie is about Vanellope spiritually saying “Sucks to be you”.

Plus let's be real: if they were practising what they preached then they would've had Ralph wear Belle's yellow dress, not Snow White's. He never needed no big strong anyone. (Yes, I know that would also technically mean he'd have to find a beastlady in the form of a sentient computer virus, or some other cleverly juxtaposed bollocks, to have him break the curse and actually reverse this trope/cliche/blah blah blah, but I don't work for Disney and I'm sure that they'd be glad to know that XP)
last edited on Jan. 26, 2019 10:08AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon