Comic Talk and General Discussion *

There is a book called "How to date men when you hate men"
JaymonRising at 5:40AM, Jan. 29, 2019
(offline)
https://books.google.com/books/about/How_to_Date_Men_When_You_Hate_Men.html?id=6fLwtQEACAAJ&source=kp_book_description

…can someone explain to me in a friendly, and nonsarcastic way why I'm supposed to be ok with this?

I mean I can be ok with this, but this might go the Mean Girls route, where the guy says  “You have to stop calling each other sluts and whores, it just makes it OK for guys to call you sluts and whores.”, meaning guys may be inspired by the title, and not in a good way if you know where I'm going with this XP.
last edited on Jan. 30, 2019 11:47PM
bravo1102 at 5:55AM, Jan. 29, 2019
(offline)
It's comedy and social satire. The author writes for the Onion

For me it's kind of like the accompanying book to the off-Broadway show “Jewtopia” about the joys of dating Jewish girls.

And the days of Real Men don't eat Quiche and Everything I needed to know I learned in Basic Training, The Portable Curmudgeon , the Misogynist's guide to Dating and Marriage
last edited on Jan. 29, 2019 6:00AM
JaymonRising at 9:54AM, Jan. 29, 2019
(offline)
Ooooohhh, the Onion, that makes sense. Thank you for pointing it out.

Funny enough I made it a new years resolution to keep away from any antisemetic jokes (especially after that dreadful shooting), but that would imply the years on this decade were anything new, so whatever -_-

I mean I get they only tease sometimes, Humon, creator of Scandinavia and the world, did it: https://www.deviantart.com/humon/art/All-men-are-rapists-297277900 despite it being only a comic, but sadly enough, the United States is divided by half of people who don't make up for its low IQ Average and the other half being people who voted for he who rakes the floors of Finland and may take it a different way unless they actually understand the context.

Like I said, I'm still ok with this so long as the author doesn't escalate into Sinead O' Connor levels of “art”.
bravo1102 at 10:28AM, Jan. 29, 2019
(offline)
There's a book on Yiddish culture in New York going back before the turn of the 20th century. Self deprecation and a playful sense of satire about the eccentricity of life has always been a driving force among the culture. Yiddish theater is hysterical. The best example is the play upon which Fiddler on the Roof is based. Talk about keen observation about Jewish and gentile culture.

One reason why so many great comedians have been Jewish like my avatar: Julius “Groucho” Marx and the authors and performers behind “Jewtopia” Its great comedy not anti-Semitism. It had one of the longest runs of an off-Broadway play and my sister, wife and I were practically the only gentiles in the audience.
JaymonRising at 11:41AM, Jan. 29, 2019
(offline)
Huh, Groucho Marx was Jewish, I had no idea.(though I knew Gene Simmons is)

Oh no, I'm perfectly aware of Jewish humour's own form of self-deprecation. Some of my favourite comedians like Sasha Baron Cohen and Max Gilardi are Jewish. There are just some jokes that they make, which, if someone who ISN'T Jewish even quotes them might sound disrespectful https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-ki8gMNPcqk
bravo1102 at 12:59PM, Jan. 29, 2019
(offline)
Borat is far, far more insulting to Kazakhs (the people who live in Borat's supposed county even though the character in no way is anything like a real Kazakh) Sascha Cohen even uses a fictional anthem which was mistakenly played at a sporting event featuring a real Kazakhstani team to everyone's embarrassment!

There's a great BBC documentary I saw on YouTube called “Holidays in the Danger Zone: Meet the 'Stans” plus radio host John Batchelor has done a series of shows from Kazakhstan as well as other Former Soviet Central Asian republics.

It was all part of the research into the Silk Road and the Mongols for a comic I did.
JaymonRising at 1:13PM, Jan. 29, 2019
(offline)
O_o I looked up the Kuwait incident…I had no idea that happened. I definitely wouldn't have taken it as lightly.

I'll write down the documentary's name and see if I can watch it after finishing Wuthering Heights. Twas going to watch the Ralph Fiennes vehicle but figured the book might be better. XP

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon