Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Writing Processing Software
MegaRdaniels at 9:56PM, March 5, 2020
(online)
Before I start writing and or editing the script of my webcomic, I launch two softwares. One is Google Docs, Celtx (web and the software), and Open Office. I tend to use Celtx the most though.

What about you?
damehelsing at 11:11PM, March 5, 2020
(offline)
I use libre office. It's a cute little program that's free to use.

Then if I need to work on the timeline of my story I use aeon timeline.
Really helps with the scripting/writing and keeping everything organized.
bravo1102 at 1:00AM, March 6, 2020
(offline)
I'm old fashioned. Still use MS word and love my 2007 version so much I refuse to give it up.

I go back to type writers and lots of notebooks full of random ideas. Now I'm up to bullet points that slowly get turned into scripts just of the words and action.

I like to let the images come organically when I turn the script into panels.
MegaRdaniels at 5:42AM, March 6, 2020
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
I'm old fashioned. Still use MS word and love my 2007 version so much I refuse to give it up.

I go back to type writers and lots of notebooks full of random ideas. Now I'm up to bullet points that slowly get turned into scripts just of the words and action.

I like to let the images come organically when I turn the script into panels.

I actually have a typewriter, unfortunately it broke. :(
usedbooks at 6:05AM, March 6, 2020
(online)
For my writing projects, I used MS office forever, but on my latest computer I downloaded Open Office instead. It takes up much less space/memory and is free. Basically identical to MS, includes a word processor, spreadsheet, slide show program, and more.

Here's a link if anyone is interested: https://www.openoffice.org/

That said, for my webcomic scripts, I use this:

(Portable, durable, and can use easily in waiting rooms or during breaks at my remote, rather technology-poor, workplace.) Downside is that I misplace loose pages and/or entire notebooks rather frequently, so I end up rewriting a lot. I just call them “drafts.”
last edited on March 6, 2020 6:07AM
bravo1102 at 6:42AM, March 6, 2020
(offline)
I stopped using notebooks except to record ideas when away from a keyboard because I got tired of losing notes. I lost some really pertinent notes that I had really worked on and said never again. (All my Narthatheian language notes)

I religiously transcribe my notes as fast as possible because that little thumbdrive is much easier to read than the hurried scrawl of my handwriting. And I am very protective of my thumbdrive.

I did an entire layout schematic for a comic. I remember it being brilliant. I have no idea now because the handwriting is incomprehensible. So I type everything as soon as possible.
last edited on March 6, 2020 6:45AM
El Cid at 7:35AM, March 6, 2020
(online)
I use notebook and pen to draw storyboards, though I usually don't need to. As far as typing, I stick with OpenOffice. I also use their Spreadsheet software every now and then for calculating stuff. I had to stop using Google docs as a file backup because I pretty much stuffed it to the limit.
usedbooks at 7:40AM, March 6, 2020
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
I stopped using notebooks except to record ideas when away from a keyboard because I got tired of losing notes. I lost some really pertinent notes that I had really worked on and said never again. (All my Narthatheian language notes)

I religiously transcribe my notes as fast as possible because that little thumbdrive is much easier to read than the hurried scrawl of my handwriting. And I am very protective of my thumbdrive.

I did an entire layout schematic for a comic. I remember it being brilliant. I have no idea now because the handwriting is incomprehensible. So I type everything as soon as possible.
I go through phases, but, tbh, I lost files on my computer too. Even when I kept one file and made back-ups, somehow everything got corrupted and I couldn't find recent versions anywhere.

My dog and cat have both eaten large chunks of my scripts in looseleaf form.

Nothing seems to work for me. I think working two+ years in advance is the real issue. An awful lot can be lost in a couple years.
Tantz_Aerine at 2:21PM, March 6, 2020
(online)
Eh, I still got Word from my graduate days. And google docs. I also have open office but I rarely use it.
hushicho at 4:12PM, March 6, 2020
(offline)
I recommend LibreOffice over OpenOffice. There are so many reasons from behind the scenes, but in general I feel Libre is superior with its development and standards thus far.

You can get LibreOffice for free at https://www.libreoffice.org/

In any case, anything from a plain text editor to a more complex word processing suite works, as long as it suits your creative flow!
♥*♡∞:。.。 Official Site 。.。:∞♡*♥
MegaRdaniels at 5:45PM, March 6, 2020
(online)
hushicho wrote:
I recommend LibreOffice over OpenOffice. There are so many reasons from behind the scenes, but in general I feel Libre is superior with its development and standards thus far.

You can get LibreOffice for free at https://www.libreoffice.org/

In any case, anything from a plain text editor to a more complex word processing suite works, as long as it suits your creative flow!

Have you used Celtx? I heard that's a good program to use. :)
hushicho at 8:00PM, March 6, 2020
(offline)
I don't approve of subscription-based things for my creative production, but it's nice there's an option if you want that for a unifying flow cross-platform. It looks very promising and convenient for things all in one place!
♥*♡∞:。.。 Official Site 。.。:∞♡*♥
MegaRdaniels at 4:36AM, March 16, 2020
(online)
I tend to use Open Office a lot more and more. I still use Google Docs though to write my overall scripts, but increasingly I have been writing on Open Office.
Ironscarf at 11:36AM, March 18, 2020
(offline)
I mostly use Word 2007 and sometimes Google Docs if I'm on the move. I remember trying Celtx ages ago but didn't stick with it. I also used a thing called Focuswriter which is one of those distraction free writing programs. It actually did help me to focus on writing but then I had a PC issue/crash and it lost most of what I'd written.
MegaRdaniels at 1:51PM, March 18, 2020
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
I mostly use Word 2007 and sometimes Google Docs if I'm on the move. I remember trying Celtx ages ago but didn't stick with it. I also used a thing called Focuswriter which is one of those distraction free writing programs. It actually did help me to focus on writing but then I had a PC issue/crash and it lost most of what I'd written.

LOL I'm currently using Gogole Docs right now. Been on a writing spree on my scripts though lol. I finished writing the first volume and already finishing up the second volume.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon